• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL Grand Final 2017 |OT| Adelaide Crows vs Richmond Tigers

DeSo

Banned
Houli should have been best on ground but they always give it to the most "prolific" player. Martin was really good but not BOG.

Dusty didn't waste a possession though. Houli was a favourite as was Rance.

St Kilda to break their drought next year ?
Fremantle ?

Seriously dont know what was going on with the crows today, whole team went shit and let the worse side play like they should of.
kinda shit u saw from port power all year

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
God bless 'em. They played a great game and it showed how far they've come after turning the team around within a season. Even my Mum couldn't believe Richmond were in the Grand Final and kept reminding me that the last time they played in a final I hadn't been born yet.

I could only remain neutral as a Blues boy, but even I was silently hoping the Tigers would win it. Too many family friends who love Richmond and I've always been a closet fan of Matthew Richardson so it was good to see them play to their strengths and smash it home. Such a good game for Rance, Houli, and Martin.

A shame to see the Adelaide faithful go home empty handed after an emotional rollercoaster over the past couple of years. But the Crows have always been a top ladder missile so who knows what will get them to repeat the feats of the late-90's.

I'm bummed, but only because we played so poorly. Really happy for Richmond. If we were going to lose to anyone, I'm cool with it being them. Congrats, Tigers~

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Richmond's incompetence is a part of my identity so I don't really know what to make of this.

fisheyes

Who would've thought, 3 years after Cotchin decided to kick against the wind and lost a final at Adelaide Oval, they would go on to win the premiership? I genuinely can't believe it. What a day.

Zushin

As an aside, just how fucking shit does Brett Deledio feel right at this moment. He was my favourite player at the Tigs so I do feel bad for him.

Been saying since round 4 in this thread that the crows have the flag on lock.

It doesn't matter who they play next week, they have about a ten goal average margin against Richmond and gws this season, so I'm ready to party.
Wa3bmpSmfjdPuTc8u9lbmlh7VGlotqn6rPxwJJiTUQvi4CWU0BlnHQmMqWE7UwjtVumiIfCavNQvR50Qf8FsmeCIiaUhzdeCPzEMVgw=w320-h240-nc

jambo

Been saying since round 4 in this thread that the crows have the flag on lock.

It doesn't matter who they play next week, they have about a ten goal average margin against Richmond and gws this season, so I'm ready to party.

I'm calling it early, crows will get a three-peat.

FbvwnYB.gif

I laid out $200 bets:
Jacobs,Sloane,crouch - norm smith
Crows to win -6.5pts, margin 40+
Otten, Cameron, Douglas First goal

Carn the crows!

Dh0TOA0.gif

Lifelong tigers supporter here at age 32, I literally never thought I’d see the day. I can’t beleieve it. I was at punt road oval and it was electric. Went to the g afterwards to seek the concert and the players. Then onto swan street and got our photos taken next to the dusty mural. Just then had a few beers and soaked it in. So many old fans who hadn’t seen anything since 80, fans my age who hadn’t seen anything and kids who now know their team to be premiership winners. I cried. Such a great atmosphere. A barber was doing dusty cuts until midnight with music pumping, we played kick to kick with randoms down swan street, it was glorious to seen so much yellow and black.

Seeing a lot of people complaining about Victorian bias.

What do you all think about the GF being placed at the MCG every year? Surely the home ground advantage does give a somewhat unfair advantage to the lower ranked team.

Not to say Adelaide would have won otherwise, but it surely played some part, it definitely did last year.

legend166

Seeing a lot of people complaining about Victorian bias.

What do you all think about the GF being placed at the MCG every year? Surely the home ground advantage does give a somewhat unfair advantage to the lower ranked team.

Not to say Adelaide would have won otherwise, but it surely played some part, it definitely did last year.

Four years in a row now the flag has been won by a Victorian team playing a higher ranked non-Victorian team in the Grand Final. It's pretty frustrating when you have a great year and it gets to the GF and you're like "oh you've gotta play them in their city now."

fisheyes

The fact its played at the MCG is inherently unfair, but I'm not sure how you work around it? Where are the big enough stadiums everywhere else? And do you give the game to the higher ranked team, meaning the grand final venue is only set a week before, or is it set at the beginning of the year?

Caramello

Having the GF at a stadium other than the MCG would cause backlash like you wouldn't believe. It's not going to happen.

Zushin

Four years in a row now the flag has been won by a Victorian team playing a higher ranked non-Victorian team in the Grand Final. It's pretty frustrating when you have a great year and it gets to the GF and you're like "oh you've gotta play them in their city now."

As long as the MCG has by far the largest capacity then it won't move. The AFL isn't going to lose the coin from 50,000 lost ticket sales. Obviously I'm a bit biased because I go for a Victorian team, but I also feel as if tradition in this case should trump anything else. Victoria is where the game was born (yes I realise it's not the Vfl anymore), the G is where it's been played for 100 years. It would just feel wrong to move it. As for the last four years, can you honestly say that the teams that have won those (Hawthorn, Bulldogs and Tigers) were not just the better team on the day? 7 of the last 17 grand finals has been won by an interstate team which is a fairly even ratio when you consider the number of Victorian teams.

My solution would be to give interstate teams more exposure to the MCG during the regular season. Let them have 7-8 games instead of 3 (in Adelaide's case). The dimensions of the ground certainly didn't alter yesterday's outcome I feel, Tigers were hungrier.

Edit: although not enough games to have every interstate team do that. Hmm.

My solution would be to give interstate teams more exposure to the MCG during the regular season. Let them have 7-8 games instead of 3 (in Adelaide's case). The dimensions of the ground certainly didn't alter yesterday's outcome I feel, Tigers were hungrier.

Edit: although not enough games to have every interstate team do that. Hmm.

At the same time, it can't help other factors. The Victorian team gets to wake up at home without travel. That can make a world of difference, especially on the biggest day of a players career.

I do think it's a problem, but I'm not sure of the solution unless another 100,000 capacity stadium is constructed elsewhere.

It’s tradition, show me another way that makes sense. Plus it’s just the last few years, I didn’t hear this bleating when Brisbane took it three years in a row

Woke up feeling sick, and it wasnt just a bad hangover.

Tigers were unexpectedly awesome. They wanted it more and were duly rewarded.

Crows were pathetic. Played their worst game of the year when it counted the most.

Happily there will be no such problem in the NRL Grand Final.

It’s tradition, show me another way that makes sense. Plus it’s just the last few years, I didn’t hear this bleating when Brisbane took it three years in a row

I agree.

Hopefully there will be a solution someday, but for now, the MCG simply makes the most sense. It's an unfortunate situation either way.

jambo

I just realised today that I haven't actually watched the entire match uninterrupted, but I've watched it 3 times already. Bloody toddlers!

Might have to watch it for a 4th time >_>

Turns out schadenfreude is pretty great.

Bullet Club

The Tigers will go in favourites, deservedly so, but I think we have a chance to knock them off. Hopefully our goalkicking is better than last night though.

Bullet Club

That first half was the best we've played since 2011. When they got to 21 points behind and Dusty was getting into the game it started looking shaky but we fought back well.

Cox was huge. The best he's ever marked the ball. And Sidey was great.

They were getting some good clearances in the second half, just buggered up the first half. Smashed em just like in the 94 prelim woo!

that's was flippin tense. WE'RE THE EAGLES THE WEST COAST EAGLES AND WE'RE HERE TO SHOW YOU WHY WE'RE THE BIG BIRDS KINGS OF THE BIG GAME WE'RE THE EAGLES WE'RE FLYING HIGH

Top Bottom