• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2013 |OT| See the Bombers Shoot Up, Up

Damn it, I saw the early score and kept watching the Ashes and TDF. Should have had more faith.

It was a great game mate. We need to stop giving teams a lead in the first quarter though. Pendles and Swan were huge again tonight. Beams was impressive in his first game back. I still think Dwyer is improving more and more each week too.

Cloke killed it tonight but couldn't kick a goal to save himself lol

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably a huge mistake but I just changed from Hawks to Port for this game. No Franklin, wet weather. Hopefully Port can pull it off.

Dead Man

It was a great game mate. We need to stop giving teams a lead in the first quarter though. Pendles and Swan were huge again tonight. Beams was impressive in his first game back. I still think Dwyer is improving more and more each week too.

Cloke killed it tonight but couldn't kick a goal to save himself lol

LOL. A mate records all the games, I'll have to watch it by the sounds of it.

maladroid

Hope Port have one of their signature last quarters. Love the spirit they've been showing recently.

At their best. I get that Collingwood have a few outs but as a top side of the competition they should be playing better footy than they have been with the side they have.

Carlton haven't been that great this year but if there was an opportunity to snatch a win against a good side it would have been now.
Their players didn't seem to be firing beforehand, but we seem to have a knack of getting opposition players back into form. Absolutely shocking. Pretty much full strength and still got obliterated by opposition with notable outs. We've had opportunities this past month to get wins, but we're just not good enough. I've been avoiding footy related sites whilst coming to grips with the fact that 2011 (no, round 3 2012) was our peak. While sides like the Bulldogs and the Saints currently languish towards the bottom of the ladder, at least they've had relative success during their peaks. All we've got to show for ours is a 5th place finish and a semi-final.

So yeah.... season over.
Yep. Should be playing the kids. Saints will probably get the better of us (with Milne kicking a bagful), as always, but at least I could have seen what they could do. Changes this week have been a joke. At least last year I could say we knocked off the Pies twice. There has been nothing worth celebrating this year.

droppedbear

Neo Member
It's probably a huge mistake but I just changed from Hawks to Port for this game. No Franklin, wet weather. Hopefully Port can pull it off.

No Franklin is not necessarily bad for the hawks, last year when they had the spell without him they were probably a bit better at spreading the attack, and seen again today.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
No Franklin is not necessarily bad for the hawks, last year when they had the spell without him they were probably a bit better at spreading the attack, and seen again today.

Yeah, you're right. I wouldn't have changed from that alone though. Someone made out that it was supposed to bucket down today. Didn't look like it rained at all from the little I saw before the Cats game. For me I was just one less mobile forward Port had to deal with.

Yeah, you're right. I wouldn't have changed from that alone though. Someone made out that it was supposed to bucket down today. Didn't look like it rained at all from the little I saw before the Cats game. For me I was just one less mobile forward Port had to deal with.

You're lucky I didn't put my tips in this week. Heading for 9 if Freo wins ;)

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
You're lucky I didn't put my tips in this week. Heading for 9 if Freo wins ;)

I finally drag you back after those many weeks with you 2-3 out in front then I blow it all in one week. ;) I think Jambo got 9 as well which is pretty impressive. I probably never would have picked Brisbane. My Port and Saints tips were ridiculous long shots.

You'll catch a few back in later weeks. I always tip the Pies and I have no confidence against Swans and Hawks. So there are 2 points right there.

jambo

9/9 tips, Whopper time!

I figured Brisbane had been going pretty well lately and playing at the Gabba seems to really fire them up when they get some wins under the belt. Also tipped Collingwood by 25, so close!

Roughhead > Franklin.

He destroyed us.

First match of the year I actually attend and we get destroyed. Laughable performance from Port. Constant skill errors, too much handballing, not enough kicking and when we did kick it was always to open space that was quickly filled up by Hawthorn.

Omikron

While the stats are laughable, the fact that most immigrants already play and prefer soccer does make it difficult to get traction amongst 1st gen immigrants.

Absolutely, but it is weird that they 'celebrate' it by naming some faux team, better of just focusing it on the community imo. But, there you go.

Dead Man

Absolutely, but it is weird that they 'celebrate' it by naming some faux team, better of just focusing it on the community imo. But, there you go.

Yeah, the AFL response is ridiculous, that article just seems to blame them for something that will always be difficult to overcome.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday July 19th
North Melbourne vs. Carlton @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday July 20th
Hawthorn vs. Western Bulldogs @ Aurora Stadium
Greater Western Sydney vs. Essendon @ Skoda Stadium
Gold Coast vs. Collingwood @ Metricon Stdaium
Melbourne vs. Brisbane @ TIO Stadium
St Kilda vs. Port Adelaide @ Etihad Stadium

Sunday July 21st
Richmond vs. Fremantle @ The MCG
Adelaide vs. Geelong @ AAMI Stadium
West Coast vs. Sydney @ Patersons Stadium

Round 17 Teams

fisheyes

What are people's thoughts on the North v Blues game? Its the most trouble I've had picking a game all year I think. I just can't get a read on the form of either of these teams, if there was ever a game where both teams could possibly lose, it would be this one.

jambo

I picked North, but I have a feeling they'll fuck it up, like they have in so many games this year.

The issue is, if you replace "North" with "Blues" in the above sentence, it still works =\

Gonna be going to the game at etihad tonight with a few Carlton mates, none are confident of the win and I have to say I agree.

North are excellent at Etihad and Carlton are terrible and North's game plan suits Etihad perfectly. I'm on Carlton tonight since my man Majak isn't playing for North

maladroid

You know your defence is performing like crap when it sticks out in a match against the Roos. Only reason we're in front is cos they've managed to have a dozen shots go wide. Hope Mick gives them a spray at half time and tells them to tighten up. Absolutely frustrating watching them time and again waltz through our defensive 50.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Great game. Shame about the result. Kangas come so close to winning that at the end but Harvey got a bad bounce.

maladroid

Always let teams come back in, but happy with the win (and the third quarter). Flashed back to the Essendon match, but sure glad it didn't end the same way.

Bishop89

I cant believe north has had the year they've had.
We have mostly played FANTASTIC footy, but falling short, which hurts more than a 60 point loss.

It would have been amazing if we actually came back and won against carlton but oh well.

Is there still a chance of us making the finals (if we win our future games?)

Tough draw though ahead besides melbourne.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I cant believe north has had the year they've had.
We have mostly played FANTASTIC footy, but falling short, which hurts more than a 60 point loss.

It would have been amazing if we actually came back and won against carlton but oh well.

Is there still a chance of us making the finals (if we win our future games?)

Tough draw though ahead besides melbourne.

You'd need to win every game. 12 wins seems about right to get into finals but who knows how the rest of the games will fall.
They've surprised me how low they could finish. I picked them to finish around 7-10, maybe even higher. Finishing near 8 wins is appalling for a team supposedly on the rise.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Gold Coast and Carlton is a tough game to pick. Was going to sit on Carlton but I just couldn't say no to picking Gold Coast. They seem to play their best footy at home. Last week was a huge win, hopefully they'll be up for it against Carlton.

fisheyes

I flip flopped on the Suns and Blues. Ultimately went with the Suns, but really not sure on it. Think most of my decision is based around who I want to win, to be honest.

Also, Bulldogs are a massive chance for the upset in my mind. West Coast have plenty of outs, and haven't been playing all that flash. Meanwhile Bulldogs get Boyd in (though they lose Goodes) and have looked alright against the Bombers and the Hawks in the past two weeks.

Gold Coast and Carlton is a tough game to pick. Was going to sit on Carlton but I just couldn't say no to picking Gold Coast. They seem to play their best footy at home. Last week was a huge win, hopefully they'll be up for it against Carlton.

I could see the Suns getting over the Blues. They were great against us last week. Though I still can't tip them. Blues for me.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday July 26th
Essendon vs. Hawthorh @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday July 27th
Gold Coast vs. Carlton @ Metricon Stadium
Melbourne vs. North Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium
Collingwood vs. Greater Western Sydney @ The MCG
Geelong vs. St Kilda @ Simonds Stadium
Fremantle vs. Adelaide @ Patersons Stadium

Sunday July 28th
Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane @ AAMI Stadium
Western Bulldogs vs. West Coast @ Etihad Stadium
Sydney vs. Richmond @ The SCG

Round 18 Teams

jambo

My tips for this round:

Hawthorn (by 10 points)

Carlton
North Melbourne
Collingwood
Geelong
Fremantle

Port Adelaide
West Coast
Sydney

maladroid

Anybody got any stats on 1 v 2 results near the tail end of the season? Wasn't expecting that.

Really wouldn't surprise me if the Suns got up tomorrow. Did it last year and have just taken a scalp, whereas we've beaten nobody and only shown up in patches. Still hoping we get the win.

You missed your tips again! You got Hawks but make sure to put them in for the next game.

Yeah I noticed that last night after the game had started. That's what I get for having too many comps on the go. Bound to miss one or two.

I thought last night's game would have been closer. Hawks are that good.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I noticed that last night after the game had started. That's what I get for having too many comps on the go. Bound to miss one or two.

I thought last night's game would have been closer. Hawks are that good.

I'll probably get hated on for this but I didn't give Essendon much chance at all. Even though they were second on the ladder before the game I didn't feel that was an accurate indication as to where they stood in the comp. The top 3 have them easily covered imo.

I'll probably get hated on for this but I didn't give Essendon much chance at all. Even though they were second on the ladder before the game I didn't feel that was an accurate indication as to where they stood in the comp. The top 3 have them easily covered imo.

Yeah you're probably right. Hawks, Cats and Swans are still a big stand out. Freo and Bombers can both be great on their day but aren't quite there yet. The rest are making up numbers.

maladroid

Pretty wasteful today (18 more scoring shots, 25 more entries into F50), but happy to see the team right another wrong with a win over a team that have beaten us in recent history.

Top Bottom