• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2013 |OT| See the Bombers Shoot Up, Up

Shaneus

Yeah you're probably right. Hawks, Cats and Swans are still a big stand out. Freo and Bombers can both be great on their day but aren't quite there yet. The rest are making up numbers.
I'm hanging for Richmond to claw their way back up. They're the only one of those mid-ladder teams that I want to see succeed, if only because success has evaded them for so goddamn long. And Richo. Fucking love Richo. They gotta do it for him.

Edit: Fuck, just saw the GC/Carl score. Bugger, had tipped Carlton as of last night, too... but changed it. And what a goddamn shellacking dished out by North.

jambo

kEaDIOH.jpg

Bloody Footscray!

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I think a few of us got the same (from footytips.com). I thought about picking Bulldogs but talked myself out of it because I didn't want to risk taking two roughies in one round (even though I eventually changed from GC) plus they're still only 15th. They did well to get the win.
I still haven't gotten a 9...

jambo

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2013-07-30/round-23-fixture-confirmed

Port Adelaide to host Carlton in Saturday twilight match

1EsC1qN.jpg

THE AFL has confirmed Port Adelaide's Round 23 fixture against Carlton, with the Power set to host the Blues in a Saturday Twilight fixture at AAMI Stadium.

The final ever home-and-away game at the current home of football in South Australia will take place on Saturday 31 August, commencing at 4:10pm (ACST).

Port Adelaide will wear its traditional prison bar guernsey in the match against Carlton in an acknowledgement to the club's 13 SANFL League premierships it has won at the ground since it was constructed in 1973 as 'Football Park'.

V0DLf0f.jpg

I neeeeeed that guernsey!

jambo

Full round 23 fixture is out as well, all times are local.

AFL 2013 - Round 23

Friday 30 August
Sydney Swans v Hawthorn (ANZ Stadium) 7:50pm

Saturday 31 August
St Kilda v Fremantle (Etihad Stadium) 1:45pm
Geelong v Brisbane Lions (Simonds Stadium) 2:10pm
Port Adelaide v Carlton (AAMI Stadium) 4:10pm
Essendon v Richmond (Melbourne Cricket Ground) 7:40pm
West Coast Eagles v Adelaide Crows (Patersons Stadium) 6:10pm

Sunday 1 September
Gold Coast Suns v GWS Giants (Metricon Stadium) 1:10pm
Collingwood v North Melbourne (Melbourne Cricket Ground) 3:20pm
Western Bulldogs v Melbourne (Etihad Stadium) 4:40pm

fisheyes

The meltdown of Collingwood fans over getting a Sunday game is, to borrow a Bruce-ism, delicious. Would've liked a Saturday night fixture for the Port game, but Sat. Twilight is alright.

Omikron

So...in the latest drug related news...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dons-told-drug-was-not-legal-20130730-2qxqq.html#ixzz2aYnzffHU

The Age said:
ASADA investigators have seized documents found inside the Essendon Football Club's headquarters that claim the anti-obesity drug at the centre of the doping inquiry was being used by bodybuilders as a "safe alternative" to banned human growth hormones.

The documents were given to Essendon in 2012, written by the Melbourne firm that developed the drug and asserted that if the product was "legal" its use would be more widespread.

and... a potentially positive test at St Kilda.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...d-faces-twoyear-drugs-ban-20130730-2qxha.html

St Kilda forward Ahmed Saad faces a two-year suspension from the game after delivering an irregular sample within the last month.

The 22-year-old who burst into senior football from the VFL in 2012, is understood to have inadvertently taken a banned substance and is currently being investigated by the league. It is not known whether more than one sample has been provided by Saad.

jambo

The only two outcomes I can see after this investigation are:

A. Almost all of the players are charged and banned for x years or life, coaching staff leave as well

B. Players aren't charged, but coaching staff and management leave.

I really don't see Hird being there next year.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Still not certain who to pick for the Carlton v Freo game. I'm settling on Carlton for now but may end changing.

Also, the North game looms as a danger game for Geelong. North have been pretty poor for a while but against the Cats they're known for getting an early run on and Geelong have been letting teams back in and letting them run over the top of us (ala Adelaide and Brisbane). Need to control the game early and play contested footy which North won't want.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday August 2nd
North Melbourne vs. Geelon @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday August 3rd
Greater Western Sydney vs. Melbourne @ Skoda Stadium
Hawthorn vs. Richmond @ The MCG
West Coast vs. Gold Coast @ Patersons Stadium
Carlton vs. Fremantle @ Etihad Stadium
Brisbane vs. St Kilda @ The Gabba

Sunday August 4th
Western Bulldogs vs. Sydney @ Etihad Stadium
Adelaide vs. Port Adelaide @ AAMI Stadium
Collingwood vs. Essendon @ The MCG

Round 19 Teams

jambo

My tips for this weekend are:

Geelong (by 25)

Greater Western Sydney
Hawthorn
West Coast
Fremantle
Brisbane

Sydney
Port Adelaide
Essendon

Come on GWS, get that first win of the season!

A few games that can go either way this weekend. I would like to think the Roos have a chance tonight but without Swallow I don't think so.

Carn GWS though!

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
My contested footy remark backfired as well. Got clearly outplayed in most areas tonight. Surprised me how tough and unrelenting North were. Why haven't they been playing that style of footy all year?

My contested footy remark backfired as well. Got clearly outplayed in most areas tonight. Surprised me how tough and unrelenting North were. Why haven't they been playing that style of footy all year?

They have in most games. But only for 3 quarters.

Great win by the Tigers, twice in a row they have accounted for the Hawks. Also GWS managed to get their first win finally!!! The dees are just that bad

Shaneus

which has been very unfortunate for us :( we should be in the top 8!
Not if you've only been playing like that for three quarters each game.

Edit: Holy fuck, the Tigers won?!? Man, I was thinking about putting some money on them... I think before the match they were on ~$4.50 to win. Good shit. Hopefully that somewhat cements a top 8 finish this year.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Not if you've only been playing like that for three quarters each game.

Edit: Holy fuck, the Tigers won?!? Man, I was thinking about putting some money on them... I think before the match they were on ~$4.50 to win. Good shit. Hopefully that somewhat cements a top 8 finish this year.

Tigers were almost a certainty before the win anyway. Not too many sides making a decent push into the 8 as it is. You would have expected them to beat Brisbane, then Carlton, both in Melbourne, and then they have the Giants. Essendon is up for grabs too.

North could have pushed up but their run is really tough.

Why the hell did I tip Blues last night. God they are terrible. Port aren't looking great today either. My tips have gone down the toilet.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Why the hell did I tip Blues last night. God they are terrible. Port aren't looking great today either. My tips have gone down the toilet.

I regretted picking Blues as well. They were terrible last night.
If Port get up in these last 3 mins I'd say my chance of catching you is done.

Great game on at the 'g. Shame the game isn't a little closer for a really classic contest.

I regretted picking Blues as well. They were terrible last night.
If Port get up in these last 3 mins I'd say my chance of catching you is done.

Great game on at the 'g. Shame the game isn't a little closer for a really classic contest.

You'll get the Crows right but if the Pies can get up we'll stay the same distance. Still up for grabs mate.

Holy shit. Spoke too soon. Damn Port. Great game by Wingard.

fisheyes

I've seen the other 34 Showdowns live. I injured my knee yesterday so I couldn't make it today. It would've been amazing to be there, but I will take it. What a game. What a finish. Wingard, I love you.

jambo

Vy1VHWVl.jpg

I bought this For $1.49 as a joke about 3 years ago, but never opened it.

Threw it in the PS3 the other night and had a bash. There's actually some decent trivia once you get to the harder stages, but some of them are a bit silly and the acting from Sheeds is just horrendous.

He dons all these different outfits and makeup, complete with terrible accents and stereotypical acting.

Top Bottom