• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2013 |OT| See the Bombers Shoot Up, Up

fisheyes

Every game before Sunday is a genuine 50/50 match in my book. If there's going to be major changes in the makeup of the eight by the end of the year, this week could be vital.

fisheyes

What a game. I'd love to see the replay. The last couple of minutes I seen was fantastic. Essendon's efforts to get that winning goal was top notch.

The whole last quarter was really good to watch, both teams were absolutely out on their feet, and you could never tell who was going to get the lucky break to get any of the goals.

Good game all up. I really like Thursday Night footy, not sure how I'd feel if I had to go there though.

Yagharek

Hang your heads in shame, Weagles crowd.

You are the worst crowd in the league. I hope you all spend 2 hours travelling home only to find someone keyed your car if you booed Watson throughout that match.

Suck on it, you sadsacks.

Shaneus

What a game. I'd love to see the replay. The last couple of minutes I seen was fantastic. Essendon's efforts to get that winning goal was top notch.

You should get Essendon anyway. ;)
Oh shit... is it the away side at 0 points? In that case, I might actually come out pretty well from it!

zbeeb

Hang your heads in shame, Weagles crowd.

You are the worst crowd in the league. I hope you all spend 2 hours travelling home only to find someone keyed your car if you booed Watson throughout that match.

Suck on it, you sadsacks.

I'm a WCE supporter and was at the game and I totally agree. While I've got my own opinions on Jobe etc, I don't think its ever fair to stoop to booing a player persistently throughout the game.

poor form, but an excellent game otherwise. I thought the eagles had it by 3qtr time!

Yagharek

I will say though, there were some class acts from WCE players themselves. Dean Cox for example. Priddis was a good player tonight too.

Very tense game to watch, made annoying by that fucking crowd.

Also gained newfound respect for Richo, and as usual the sensible Darcy for their commentary on the game.

And to the unsavoury elements of that crowd:

pKogZUe.jpg

Westlo

what a game, what a fucking rollercoaster year as an essendon supporter, though after games like the crows, dockers, blues and now eagles, wouldn't trade it for anything.

Probably my fav year of footy from the bombers, even more than 93 and 00. it's like getting 4 hird kicking the winning goal against the eagles in half a season. amazing shit.

Yagharek

I cant wait for Essendon to launch libel cases against journalists like Caroline Wilson and Damien Barrett. There are worse though.

Interestingly, the AOD is neither performance enhancing, nor is it illegal and somewhat amusingly, it's trials haven't even been shown to cause or aid weight loss.

Anyone who has crusaded against Essendon on this is going to look dumber than a box of rocks shortly.

Omikron

I cant wait for Essendon to launch libel cases against journalists like Caroline Wilson and Damien Barrett. There are worse though.

Interestingly, the AOD is neither performance enhancing, nor is it illegal and somewhat amusingly, it's trials haven't even been shown to cause or aid weight loss.

Anyone who has crusaded against Essendon on this is going to look dumber than a box of rocks shortly.

What are you waffling about, it was not approved for human use, which means it is a banned substance by default. It is now on the WADA banned substances list. Source

Essendon are fucked whichever way you want to frame it. And the attempted spin by some sections of the media is beyond shameful. Any other sport, those players would have already been suspended and not participating.

Omikron

Case in point ^

I'm guessing you are still failing to grasp key words, namely illegal and performance enhancing.

From the WADA code. - http://list.wada-ama.org/prohibited-in-competition/prohibited-substances/

S0. NON-APPROVED SUBSTANCES

Any pharmacological substance which is not addressed by any of the subsequent sections of the List and with no current approval by any governmental regulatory health authority for human therapeutic use (e.g drugs under pre-clinical or clinical development or discontinued, designer drugs, substances approved only for veterinary use) is prohibited.

Yagharek

There is more to it than just the section you quoted. Reading that others have done suggests its not a banned substance in the form it was used, nor is it illegal.

I'll file your future comments along with the sportal brigade.

Omikron

There is more to it than just the section you quoted. Reading that others have done suggests its not a banned substance in the form it was used, nor is it illegal.

I'll file your future comments along with the sportal brigade.

Can you provide a link / evidence to support that claim?

Rezbit

The fact is if it's not cleared it's banned. AOD is banned. I look at Shane Warne who also talk an anti-obesity drug and got banned for a year. Should the players cop it? Probably not, but at some point they took an unauthorized drug. I think there will be punishments doled out.

That said, West Coast fans don't have a leg to stand on by booing. Thus, I present this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PotXGpd_owg RAAAAAH!

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Port sounding good. 16 up at half time.

Edit: Good win, Port.

Edit 2: Good game so far at Geelong. It's anyone's game at this stage.

I was tempted to back Melbourne this week, hopefully they can stick it out for the whole game.

Edit 3: Some fantastic games on today. The last 5-10mins of the Melbourne game was tense. Good on the Dees for holding on.

A dominant display from Geelong. That third quarter was outstanding. Held Freo to 1 inside 50, apparently it's a record. If only we had kicked straight. It's been a while since I've seen such a huge defensive, all in game from the Cats, just tough contested footy.

Omikron

Seriously, Essendon are beyond boned.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jun/30/essendon-banned-substance-aod-9604

Essendon AFL players were used as virtual human guinea pigs by the club, according to Fairfax media, receiving a banned substance at a volume and frequency far exceeding that of its clinical trials.

Fairfax says the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority is investigating whether the performance of players given certain supplements, including AOD-9604, was measured against team-mates who had not received the drugs and whether results were passed to external parties.

Unless the AFL bury it, of course. ;)

Dead Man

Finally saw the Collingwood game, utter disgrace. Port was sloppy in the first half too, but really picked it up in the second, the Pies just sat there and shat the bed.

Seriously, Essendon are beyond boned.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jun/30/essendon-banned-substance-aod-9604

Unless the AFL bury it, of course. ;)
Jesus. If that actually isn't approved for human use and was being used on players that could be prompting some proper legal charges. Doctors or coaches administering drugs without informed consent is far worse than just some PED's being used.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday July 5th
Carlton vs. Collingwood @ The MCG

Saturday July 6th
Greater Western Sydney vs. Western Bulldogs @ Manuka Oval
North Melbourne vs. Richmond @ Etihad Stadium
Brisbane vs. Gold Coast @ The Gabba
Geelong vs. Hawthorn @ The MCG
Adelaide vs. West Coast @ AAMI Stadium

Sunday July 7th
Melbourne vs. Sydney @ The MCG
Fremantle vs. St Kilda @ Patersons Stadium
Essendon vs. Port Adelaide @ Etihad Stadium

Round 15 Teams

jambo

My tips for the weekend:

Collingwood (16 points)

Western Bulldogs
Richmond
Brisbane
Hawthorn
Adelaide

Sydney
Fremantle
Port Adelaide

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I picked Carlton tonight, don't know if they're good enough to win though. Collingwood are the better side.

maladroid

We haven't shown teeth all year, but when you say Collingwood's side are better, do you mean the 22 they have lined up to play tonight, or at their peak (capable of knocking off your lot)?

We're as close to full strength as we have been all year (depending on any late changes). If we can't muster up a win after the month we've had, then this season is as good as over.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
We haven't shown teeth all year, but when you say Collingwood's side are better, do you mean the 22 they have lined up to play tonight, or at their peak (capable of knocking off your lot)?

We're as close to full strength as we have been all year (depending on any late changes). If we can't muster up a win after the month we've had, then this season is as good as over.

At their best. I get that Collingwood have a few outs but as a top side of the competition they should be playing better footy than they have been with the side they have.

Carlton haven't been that great this year but if there was an opportunity to snatch a win against a good side it would have been now.

Dead Man

At their best. I get that Collingwood have a few outs but as a top side of the competition they should be playing better footy than they have been with the side they have.

Carlton haven't been that great this year but if there was an opportunity to snatch a win against a good side it would have been now.

Collingwood are not a top side. Not this year anyway.

fisheyes

Tipped the Blue baggers. Shocking performance. At the very least, it means the mighty Power keep their big buffer in the 8.

Collingwood are not a top side. Not this year anyway.

Definitely not but damn I love our young blokes this year. You can see the difference between good sides like Collingwood and other sides like Carlton with their young players. Seeds, Sinclair, Elliott and Williams just killed them tonight.

I can't see us getting near Hawks or Swans this year but damn that was a great win.

So yeah.... season over.

I can recommend Thailand for their September holidays. Might as well book the trip now.

Shaneus

What the fuck Geelong? They were talking about pressure kicking on the TV, but some of those shots should just not have been missed... especially that last one. It was a fucking sitter.

I don't have a great feeling about this, but Geelong definitely looked like they lifted a bit towards the end of that quarter.

But if Geelong can hold that streak and break Hawthorn's... fuck me, that'll be incredible :D

Edit: Fuck, I've just realised I'm going to miss the end of this because of the start of the F1 qualifying. Hm. Might have to miss the first few minutes.

Shaneus

Holy fuck, so that interchange free that resulted in a Hawthorn goal was a complete fuckup by that umpire. Same umpire that called that out of bounds deliberate. Head should be on a fucking stick, that bloke. I think that OOB resulted in a goal as well, yes?

Edit: Fuck, Corey not looking good :(

Edit #2: Ooh, a bit of fire!

Westlo

Awwww yeaaahhh six from six so far this round, this was a tipsters nightmare, especially before Gazza pulled out.

fisheyes

Tips shot to pieces. Went with some roughies this week that almost worked, but no dice. Thank god for Geelong at least.

Dead Man

Definitely not but damn I love our young blokes this year. You can see the difference between good sides like Collingwood and other sides like Carlton with their young players. Seeds, Sinclair, Elliott and Williams just killed them tonight.

I can't see us getting near Hawks or Swans this year but damn that was a great win.

Yeah, next few years should be good.

jambo

Tips shot to pieces. Went with some roughies this week that almost worked, but no dice. Thank god for Geelong at least.

Yeah same, I'm on 3/6 so far =\

Pretty big for the Crows to lose at home, their season could be over if they don't get another win soon.

Also it's good to see North stringing some wins together. One of my best mates is a Roos supporter so I always like to see them win.

Hoping Port can get up over the Dons tomorrow to try for that 6th spot!

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday July 12th
Collingwood vs. Adelaide @ The MCG

Saturday July 13th
Port Adeliade vs. Hawthorn @ AAMI Stadium
Geelong vs. Melbourne @ Simonds Stadium
Richmond vs. Gold Coast @ Cazaly's Stdaium
Carlton vs. St Kilda @ Etihad Stadium
Brisbane vs. Norht Melbourne @ The Gabba

Sunday July 14th
Sydney vs. Greater Western Sydney @ The SCG