• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge: MS launching Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment on other platforms, Sea of Thieves later in 2024

bender

What time is it?
Do I put the bender penis on Gandhi or J-man?

why-not-both-why-not.gif

Gambit2483

Tom Warren made it clear in the video that he was not at liberty to say what "big" game he was talking about. This article states clearly that his sources are pointing to Pentiment and Hi Fi Rush. So no, Pentiment is not the "big" game he was referring to.
Chances are it's Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush for the 1st half of 2024 and Sea of Thieves for the 2nd half of 2024 (most likely launching on Switch 2).

Not saying there's nothing else planned, but I wouldn't expect much beyond that to be announced at this particular event.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Chances are it's Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush for the 1at half of 2024 and Sea of Thieves for the 2nd half of 2024 (most likely launching on Switch 2).

Not saying theres nothing else planned, but I wouldn't expect much beyond that to be announced at this particular event.

Yeah, I agree there. Microsoft isn't going to reveal their entire hand at this thing. There is going to be enough of an uproar with just the ones you've mentioned and I'm not sure all those will be revealed at this event either.

Gambit2483

It's Xbox's master plan.
While Sony is busy porting games to PC and earning what MS spends on toilet paper from it, they'll utilise Sony's and Nintendo's platforms to actually earn a shit load of money and build a fanbase.
Think About It GIF by Identity
Fixed but yeah, basically this.

Cuphead was just a cute indie darling on Xbox, but it became a well established brand by the time it landed on Switch. Hell, they even gave it it's own TV show on Netflix

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Yeah, I agree there. Microsoft isn't going to reveal their entire hand at this thing. There is going to be enough of an uproar with just the ones you've mentioned and I'm not sure all those will be revealed at this event either.
Don’t even need to mention any games, I suspect it’ll be something along the lines of new games everywhere, old games will be case by case.

Killjoy-NL

I think they think it makes sense, I don't care either way but I find the extreme takes on all this funny as hell when the reality is nothing of the sort 😅 Don't you see it? I'd name and shame but I can't be arsed. I'd be happy to see one big franchise go to another platform just so they'd be half right but it doesn't look likely does it?

Then you have Dimdog having a mental breakdown over fucking nothing, I don't get it? Only announcement that would piss me off is if they shutdown Gamepass as I use it as my primary gaming time so hopefully that doesn't happen.
It does make sense.

The Xbox brand is on life-support. Like everybody has been saying all this time.

StueyDuck

I don't think pentiment is the right choice. I don't see Nintendo and ps fans clambering for pentiment, that game only worked cause of gamepass. Should be grounded if you ask me, would sell far far better

Impotaku

I don't think pentiment is the right choice. I don't see Nintendo and ps fans clambering for pentiment, that game only worked cause of gamepass. Should be grounded if you ask me, would sell far far better
That was just PR bullshit there are many weird indie games outside of gamepass that have migrated to switch, there's loads of them stuff like superliminal, manifold garden, gorogoa, inscryption not only had releases but also they were the only system to get all of them as physical releases as well.

Perrott

Gold Member
Yours is just as much a matter of "belief" as anyone's, but there is just no logic behind suggesting Pentiment is a "big" game at all. But yes, I'll be shocked if Tom Warren actually described Pentiment as a "big" game. Makes absolutely no sense.
I bet the "big game" he was thinking of was Indiana Jones, which he later reported might be on its way to PS5 after XboxEra opened the floodgates of multiplat rumors with their "Starfield coming to PS5" piece, which Warren's conversation with Destin predates.

"According to sources...." Looks like another article still going off of rumors. Fantastic. Well done.

Here's my favorite part rofl:
"Launching Xbox games on PlayStation or Nintendo Switch is a seismic shift in strategy, and not one that Microsoft will have taken lightly."

My memory might be a little hazy but Ori and the Blind Forest as well as Cuphead went multiplatform years ago and it didn't spell the end of exclusives or the demise of xbox, but hey that's just me. :pie_thinking::pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:

StueyDuck

That was just PR bullshit there are many weird indie games outside of gamepass that have migrated to switch, there's loads of them stuff like superliminal, manifold garden, gorogoa, inscryption not only had releases but also they were the only system to get all of them as physical releases as well.
I still think if your MS and either experimenting or transitioning with 3rd party gaming and you need to choose and obsidian title to port, grounded would have been the better choice.

Pentiment is the nichest of niche titles. It might do ok on switch but I'll be surprised if it moves the needle at all on PS

Cyberpunkd

"According to sources...." Looks like another article still going off of rumors. Fantastic. Well done.
Not that I have much respect for current journalist standards (I don’t) but how do you propose this being handled?

“A senior VP of Xbox Platform Phil S. told the Verge”

Or

“A senior VP of Xbox Platform employed since January 2020 told the Verge”

How do you think this should be reported so that you consider it a “credible source”?

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year

My memory might be a little hazy but Ori and the Blind Forest as well as Cuphead went multiplatform years ago and it didn't spell the end of exclusives or the demise of xbox, but hey that's just me. :pie_thinking::pie_eyeroll:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither Ori nor Cuphead were developed by Xbox owned studios, right? Rather, there was an exclusive deal that expired at some point, after which the studios responsible decided on ports. Definitely a different situation than Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves or (if that happens) Starfield.

odhiex

It's Xbox's master plan.
While Sony is busy porting games to PC and earning what MS spends on toilet paper from it, they'll utilise Sony's platform to actually earn a shit load of money and build a fanbase.
Think About It GIF by Identity
Like the growing fanbase of SEGA (including Atlus) games right?
And eventually, the Dreamcast 2 will come out. /jk

Topher

Gold Member

If it is "according to sources" then that is not "going off of rumors".

pasterpl

I see a one big issue with this, if it is in fact happening, for years playstation owners on this forum were telling us that MS games are sh*t, there are no games on Xbox, and now there is massive excitement about these games. /s

pasterpl

Oh I’m sure that they’re gathering all 3 riders of Apocalypse for way more than that. SoT, Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush are blogpost-level announcements not worth the drama, brand reputation and the entire effing podcast with the whole Xbox leadership.

But if it’s just those 3 this will be the greatest PR blunder in the history of gaming, lol.
It will be these 3 games plus probably reiterating that some ABK games will be on PlayStation (as per the 10 year contract signed). Remember with Bethesda they said they will decide on game by game basis as well.

Vblad88

No Xbox exclusive look/feel AAA enough for current standards except for Forza and Flight Simulator, although it is still great all-arounder, family friendly ecosystem. They would have select any other 2 titles to be ported and reaction still would be „meh” here. It will be interesting to hear about justification.

AREYOUOKAY?

I don’t care what system they come out on just make physical copies for the ones that never got them but deserve them considering low scoring shovelware can get them.

Varteras

Gold Member
I see a one big issue with this, if it is in fact happening, for years playstation owners on this forum were telling us that MS games are sh*t, there are no games on Xbox, and now there is massive excitement about these games. /s

You're misreading the excitement. It has nothing to do with Xbox games. It has everything to do with the possible end of this console war. It's PlayStation fanboys getting to gloat that they won and Xbox fanboys lost.

Ar¢tos

It will be these 3 games plus probably reiterating that some ABK games will be on PlayStation (as per the 10 year contract signed). Remember with Bethesda they said they will decide on game by game basis as well.
What would be the point of releasing 3 small non important games on Playstation?
None of those will sell 5 million copies, the profit from these 3 games is pocket change.
They obviously plan to release most of their 1st party games and this is just how it is starting.
In the long term announcing Pentiment or Forza will have the same effect. Hardware sales will drop even more because on Xbox/PC there is the eternal "wait for gamepass" attitude and on Playstation a new attitude of "wait for PS5 release" will appear (no thought of buying a Xbox even forms)

What we can't know yet is if the profit from 1st party games on Playstation (assuming all games are eventually released) is enough to compensate the reduction of profit from 3rd party games on Xbox (non gamepass games) due to the stalling of XSS/XSX install base.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There is nothing "super smart" about being forced to find other avenues for revenue streams by opening the door to your "exclusives." It's a natural state of things when it that position.

That email echos what I have said many times here how Ybarra and Jason Ronald openly chuckled about the PS5 specs and even after 12 hours Phil really downplaying the PS5 specs, Cerny kicked all their butts

It also displays how much they do NOT understand engineering. If they had any true knowledge about hardware, they would have known after the Cerny speech that the PS5 specs shouldn't have been downplayed. PLUS.......they had the Xbox Series S that was always going to limit them and their games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

None of the Xbox 1st party devs made those games though. This is a different situation. Hence the public business meeting.

You're misreading the excitement. It has nothing to do with Xbox games. It has everything to do with the possible end of this console war. It's PlayStation fanboys getting to gloat that they won and Xbox fanboys lost.

And also gloat that they were right about the philosophy of gaming. Many said Gamepass wasn't profitable and couldn't work long term. Many Xbox gamers said the total opposite and said subscriptions were going to be the main way to get games and MS was the leader in that change.

Mr.Phoenix

You must be living in some sort of alternate reality. Cause the two things you said here... are completely false.

PlayStation owners have been saying Redfall, is shit, and that a lot of other Xbox exclusives underperformed, eg. Halo Infinite.

Show me a single post from one of these "PlayStation owners" you speak of that is showing "massive excitement" for redfall, starfield, Halo Infinite...etc.

in case you missed it, what Playstation owners are really excited about, is the fact that they were right all along. This is the biggest case of "I told you so" in gaming history.

And if that /s is supposed to mean you are being sarcastic... well, I will sarcastically say you are not fooling anyone.

This is as delusional as anyone who thought the only games Sony would release on PC were HZD, Spiderman, and GOW. Once those floodgates open, they tend to stay open. Now you can emphatically say, that if you are willing to wait 12-36 months, most PS exclusives, will make their way to PC eventually. And you will be right. It will be no different for Xbox. If anything, the only difference would be that the wait times between Xbox/PC and gamepass to PS5 would be a lot shorter.

And there is an obvious reason for that if you just give it a little thought.

Last edited:

EDMIX

errrr not really.

MS been putting their games on PC for years now and I barely own any, I think many of us don't care for their games regardless of platform as to why they are having issues even with the stuff that is coming to PC, it must STILL BE A GOOD GAME and they are struggling to deliver that as of late.

That isn't really a console vs console type issue man, that is a thing happening within MS.

Secondly, I'd argue a lot of this media circus is because many of us for years now have been showing all of the writing on the wall that this company is seeking to go 3rd party. I don't think its that PS gamers REALLLLLLLY have massive excitement to play some of those games....those games are getting negative reviews even on the platforms they are currently on to pretend as if the flood gate of sales is going to happen by PS gamers or something.

The game must still be good.

This is simply more funny that this company is going 3rd party when we've been saying this shit for the longest time.

MS is simply not the publisher to trust on shit like this, they have a whole ass graveyard of shit they've killed in the past to really be shocked they are going 3rd party and likely killing the XB home console.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So this was what all the endless threads were about last week?

Jean Claude Van Damme Ok GIF

MS have been put there games on other consoles before

Viva piñata came to DS for example.

Last edited:

yazenov

Who said anything about the quality of games coming over?

The fact that their exclusive games are going multiplayform is a huge L for MS and its fans. It's basically an admission that they have lost the race and all they care about it profit at this point.

Im glad that some people might enjoy these games, but I'm happy to see your bitter tears more than anything.

EDMIX

Who said anything about the quality of games coming over?

The fact that their exclusive games are going multiplayform is a huge L for MS and its fans. It's basically an admission that they have lost the race and all they care about it profit at this point.

Im glad that some people might enjoy these games, but I'm happy to see your bitter tears more than anything.
Pretty much, its them conceding to the entire thing and just being a 3rd party publisher (but shit, many of us stated for years now that is what MS might likely do)

Imaging buying 2 of the biggest 3rd party publishers in gaming annnnnd still sell less units then Sony and Nintendo, I think MS higher ups just had enough, they can't keep wasting fucking billions in a losing battle against Nintendo and Sony, its like they spend more, sell less then XONE, spend more...get the least of amount of GOTY awards, imagine being one of those higher ups and watching this go on and on, yet watch the likes of EA, Ubisoft, Take Two etc rolling in fucking money, not worried about any of that shit. At some point in time, its time to move on and accept they are not going to move more hardware then those 2 and quietly exist the market.

Rumor of Surface team even working on their next system supports some portable thing that is likely some Steam Deck type thing, which pretty much confirms they are exiting the home console market and who knows when they'll kill off that portable thing as that idea imho by MS sound dead in the water before launch.

So folks who where hoping MS won't do this, need to consider that company clearly isn't on your side folks.

Sounds like we will be adding XB to Nokia, Zune and some other projects MS has left behind.

DJ12

What of their recent behaviour suggests that Microsoft can make the right choices.

Astray

Gold Member
Yeah that's because you can't think 20 years into the future. MS needs to build their games for the day when consoles don't exist / platform apps start to appear on everyday devices. It doesn't matter if they sell 500 thousand or 5 consoles if their games are not popular enough to carry their app in the future they really loose all that invested money.
Microsoft thought that people would use their consoles to record TV and connect cable to it etc. They thought the future of TV was through vocal and motion commands, so they made a console in response to this imagined future and it flopped hard.

It's over a decade later and no one ever uses their console to control their TV or record it, and voice commands are a small feature of smart tvs instead. They were almost entirely wrong and they lost the majority of their gaming business for it.

Microsoft is the last company I'd trust to dictate the future of gaming.

Mr.Phoenix

So this was what all the endless threads were about last week?

Jean Claude Van Damme Ok GIF

MS have been put there games on other consoles before

Viva piñata came to DS for example.
No offense to you... especially if you are not even a fan or owner of an Xbox, so apologies in advance if this doesn't apply to you.

But I am beginning to think that a lot of Xbox "fans" are the most short-sighted or constantly in denial group of gaming fans on the planet. Like, it would literally take Xbox shutting down their doors for them to see what is in front of them, or for them to realize that such a fall or demise doesn't happen overnight. And that with Xbox, it has only lasted for as long as it has because of how much money Microsoft has.

And I actually feel for Xbox, how can Xbox as a platform ever improve, if their fans never call them out on the shit they do? But instead, praise or make excuses for everything they do.

1. They thought it was great for day 1 releases be on both Xbox and PC. (all that ended up doing was giving a lot of people a reason to not buy an Xbox. Its evident in the fact now that Series sales is even worse than XB1 sales)
  2. They thought gamepass, and their day 1 games on it was the best thing since sliced bread. (all that accomplished was decimate game sales on the platform and cultivate a habit of gamers to not purchase games, MS themselves have said gamepass cannibalizes sales).
  3. They thought it was a great idea for MS to buy ABK and Bethesda ( but considering they simply lack the user base to support such an investment, they are now forced to start looking outside of their platform).
Everything above, and what they led to, is common sense. And was obvious if you weren't wearing green-tinted glasses. It's the absolute natural trajectory of events when making choices like what Xbox made. And was all 6 years in the making.

But now, here is another future "I told you so moment".... Once they start releasing games on other platforms proper... where do you think we go from there? Where do you think we are in the next 6 years? And the denial is not seeing it for what it is... Do you really think it ends at just the odd game here or there? Why?

Here is one to ponder, its not that far-fetched to imagine a scenario, where ES6, releases on all platforms simultaneously, and makes more money/revenue....on the PlayStation platform than it does on Xbox and PC... thanks to gamepass. Think about that, and think about what that means.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
"Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the company is getting ready to launch a select number of Xbox games on PS5 and Nintendo Switch. Weeks of rumors suggest that Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves, and even Bethesda titles like Starfield and Indiana Jones could appear on non-Xbox platforms."

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF
"StoP SpreADing ShilL narRativeS!"

Astray

Gold Member
Rumor of Surface team even working on their next system supports some portable thing that is likely some Steam Deck type thing, which pretty much confirms they are exiting the home console market and who knows when they'll kill off that portable thing as that idea imho by MS sound dead in the water before launch.
It's absolutely dead in the water imo.

Switch 2 is coming out THIS YEAR. And Steam Deck allows you to use nearly the entirety of your Steam library (including Microsoft games because some genius decided they'd all go there) on the go with good battery life.

Not to mention all the Lenovo and Asus handhelds (Asus already confirmed they are working on a successor device).

They will get completely slaughtered in the market.

Varteras

Gold Member
Speaking very honestly, he's the 1st user I ever put on ignore on any forum.

It's like I said a few days ago. Gonna be a lot of personalities around here going missing or singing very different tunes if this all shakes out the way it's looking. Couldn't help but notice one of them requested a perm as shit was hitting the fan. Now we have people getting amnesia.

Astray

Gold Member
It's like I said a few days ago. Gonna be a lot of personalities around here going missing or singing very different tunes if this all shakes out the way it's looking. Couldn't help but notice one of them requested a perm as shit was hitting the fan. Now we have people getting amnesia.
I actually put him on ignore within months of joining, he was very insufferable.

Who even believes this make believe character he's got going that has 4 ps5s and 3 series xs or whatever the fuck it was? It's like the account is shared by 2-3 different people.

None of the Xbox 1st party devs made those games though. This is a different situation. Hence the public business meeting.
To the average gamer it makes zero difference. You have a game that was an exclusive get released on another platform. That's it. People can spin it however they want though.

HiFi Rush was made by Tango Gameworks, published by Bethesda, and the only reason it's considered 1st party is because MS bought Bethesda. Sea of Thieves came out in 2018 and it makes a lot of sense (as long as cross-play is the intention) for that type of game to try and expand the player base, because it is a multiplayer focused game. I don't think it's this monumental seismic shift to take a game like Sea of Thieves, which is coming up on being 6 years old now (by the way), and releasing it on other platforms, again, if the intention is to increase the player population through cross-play. It's not a game that has a sequel come out every 2-3 years. It's a live service that has continual releases of content. Now, if MS comes out and starts saying games like Halo and Gears will all be multiplatform then people can freak out. Up until now though the speculation has gotten way out of control.

Mr.Phoenix

It's absolutely dead in the water imo.

Switch 2 is coming out THIS YEAR. And Steam Deck allows you to use nearly the entirety of your Steam library (including Microsoft games because some genius decided they'd all go there) on the go with good battery life.

Not to mention all the Lenovo and Asus handhelds (Asus already confirmed they are working on a successor device).

They will get completely slaughtered in the market.
To be fair... that wouldn't matter to them one bit. If this shakes out as I think it will in the next 5+ years. The Xbox as we know it today will be dead, and an Xbox will be anything that you can install the Xbox/Microsoft Gamepass app/store on. The surface team can actually go onto make the best PC gaming handheld on the market. And they can even make a line of PC gaming console-like or NUC-like devices specifically for gaming. I even suggested that MS could make a version of Windows, think Windows Lite, that is optimized for gaming and any OEM can use that.

The bottom line is that all those initiatives leave them in a far better position than they are right now. I mentioned it before, a team surface designed "xbox", can be a sold at profit, fully upgradeable, USFF (ultra-small form factor) gaming PC with a first of its kind optimized Windows Lite (or whatever they call it) for gaming. And would be the blueprint of the formula that other OEMs would use. Same way steam deck was kinda a blueprint for the handheld PC (I say kinda because they weren't really the first to do it).

This is the direction I see Xbox going in. Because one thing is certain, what they are doing now, and have been doing for the last 12+ years... is not working. And they have spent too much money as is, for it to continue not working. And if they just rinse and repeat what they have been doing and try again, there is more evidence suggesting it will fail than it succeeding.

pasterpl

Now you can emphatically say, that if you are willing to wait 12-36 months, most PS exclusives, will make their way to PC eventually
I can’t, unfortunately after owning ps4 pro, bought only for Sony exclusives (all multi platforms were Xbox one x or pc), I dont find Sony exclusive interesting, bought them once for ps4 pro so no point of me buying them again on pc if I didn’t like it then, I doubt I will like these now. I much preferred PS3 generation Sony exclusives. PS5 seems to be mostly sequel machine so have zero interest in sequels to games I didn’t like.

Top Bottom