• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge: MS launching Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment on other platforms, Sea of Thieves later in 2024

Portugeezer

No, he was very explicit about it. Said he knew for a fact. I mean......he could be entirely full of shit, but certainly didn't seem that way to me. Very confident.

Here is the video:

This was recorded before the Starfield rumours got shut down a few days ago.

He tried to swing and fell on his face.

Topher

Gold Member
This was recorded before the Starfield rumours got shut down a few days ago.

He tried to swing and fell on his face.

Doesn't matter when it was recorded and it wasn't shut down at all. Warren never backtracked on that claim.

He never said what game it was so no way to know that he was talking about Starfield. Could have been talking about Blade for all we know.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Doesn't matter when it was recorded and it wasn't shut down at all. Warren never backtracked on that claim.

He never said what game it was so no way to know that he was talking about Starfield. Could have been talking about Blade for all we know.
He must really like Grounded then.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
grounded please

Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Neither. I don't think any of the games were the "big one" Warren was talking about. I also don't believe Phil Spencer laid out everything they have planned as far as multiplat games, but that's speculation on my part.

We won't know what "big" game Tom Warren was talking about until he (or Microsoft) reveals it or.....he was just full of shit and he will never admit to it. Either way, still think there iz zero chance he was referring to Pentiment as the "big one".
So you distrust him enough to believe that he might have outright lied, but trust him enough not to have exaggerated Pentiment or Grounded as a 'big' game?

Topher

Gold Member
So you distrust him enough to believe that he might have outright lied, but trust him enough not to have exaggerated Pentiment or Grounded as a 'big' game?

I don't know the guy. I have no reason to trust him or distrust him. I'm accounting for multiple possibilities. But if his info is accurate and the game fits the "big" description then it ain't Pentiment. Grounded......I doubt it. Could be Blade or Avowed. Something else? Hell if I know. Neither do you. You were adamant that the game was Pentiment before. Now it could be Grounded? Are you shocked?

Err you realize that one big game is Pentiment right?

Believe what you want but don't be surprised to find out that it is.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't know the guy. I have no reason to trust him or distrust him. I'm accounting for multiple possibilities. But if his info is accurate and the game fits the "big" description then it ain't Pentiment. Grounded......I doubt it. Could be Blade or Avowed. Something else? Hell if I know. Neither do you. You were adamant that the game was Pentiment before. Now it could be Grounded? Are you shocked?
My real prediction was that it would be overhyped - I had 'predicted' candy crush as the type of game it would turn out to be earlier.
The one thing that is consistent with 'insiders' is them overhyping how much they know, how important what they know is, and how sure they are of it.

MilkyJoe

This'll make you laugh (or probably cry)

Sony FY2023 Q3 Earnings Announcement Q&A Summary

Questioner 6Q:

[G&NS and I&SS segments]
What will be the keys to improving your operating margin?

A: G&S segment: When it comes to PS5, one challenge that sets this console cycle apart from PS4 and previous generations is that
we find it difficult to reduce our costs during the course of the cycle. Unlike high-spec PCs, PS consoles enable us to offer an immersive experience for many people in a safe environment with affordable price. To offer that kind of experience, with costs for components like chips and memory on the rise, one key will be that we continue to sell consoles without substantial discounts [during the course of its product life-cycle] by engaging in product planning that ensures affordability for consumers. Another driver will be first-party titles. Strong titles that achieve growth on PS5, PCs and other platforms will widen our margins. We believe that we have opportunities for margin improvement and intend to pursue them aggressively.

I&SS segment: Our issue is that
our sales have not enabled us to sufficiently recoup on the investments and R&D that we have engaged in upfront. It is vital that we strike the right balance between our costs and our ability to capture growth opportunities by minimizing operational losses and managing our investments

:messenger_smirking:

How has this not got it's own thread after all of the 3rd party xbox feeding frenzies?

T-0800

Questioner 6Q:

[G&NS and I&SS segments]

A: G&S segment: When it comes to PS5, one challenge that sets this console cycle apart from PS4 and previous generations is that
we find it difficult to reduce our costs during the course of the cycle. Unlike high-spec PCs, PS consoles enable us to offer an immersive experience for many people in a safe environment with affordable price. To offer that kind of experience, with costs for components like chips and memory on the rise, one key will be that we continue to sell consoles without substantial discounts [during the course of its product life-cycle] by engaging in product planning that ensures affordability for consumers. Another driver will be first-party titles. Strong titles that achieve growth on PS5, PCs and other platforms will widen our margins. We believe that we have opportunities for margin improvement and intend to pursue them aggressively.

our sales have not enabled us to sufficiently recoup on the investments and R&D that we have engaged in upfront. It is vital that we strike the right balance between our costs and our ability to capture growth opportunities by minimizing operational losses and managing our investments

How has this not got it's own thread after all of the 3rd party xbox feeding frenzies?
Because the other is mobile.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Questioner 6Q:

[G&NS and I&SS segments]

This was cleared up days ago. He was talking about mobile and cloud as the other platforms.

MilkyJoe

Because the other is mobile.

So when Xboz said first party titles on other platforms they meant Nintendo and PS, but when Sony said it they mean mobile .... of course they did

Another driver will be first-party titles. Strong titles that achieve growth on PS5, PCs and other platforms will widen our margin

laynelane

So when Xboz said first party titles on other platforms they meant Nintendo and PS, but when Sony said it they mean mobile .... of course they did

Another driver will be first-party titles. Strong titles that achieve growth on PS5, PCs and other platforms will widen our margin

Considering four titles were just announced for Nintendo and PS, that may have something to do with it. Not to mention that's what all the leaks were saying too (Xbox games going to other consoles). Then there's the Tweet that's been a topic of discussion today:

Where there's smoke, there's fire. That's how I see it, at least.

We also had a thread on what Totoki really meant by "other platforms":

MilkyJoe

Considering four titles were just announced for Nintendo and PS, that may have something to do with it. Not to mention that's what all the leaks were saying too (Xbox games going to other consoles). Then there's the Tweet that's been a topic of discussion today:

Where there's smoke, there's fire. That's how I see it, at least.

We also had a thread on what Totoki really meant by "other platforms":

"Sony may shrink the gap between the launches of its PlayStation exclusives and PC ports. Company president Hiroki Totoki suggested in a post-earnings call Q&A session Wednesday (via VGC) that he wants PlayStation to go “aggressive on improving our margin performance,” with “multi-platform” games playing a significant role. He clarified in the talk that, by multi-platform, he meant on PlayStation and PC — not Xbox or Switch."

"Another driver will be first-party titles. Strong titles that achieve growth on PS5, PCs and other platforms"

I imagine after the xbox uproar, he'd be less inclined to just spill the beans. We all know in our heart of hearts that no first party PS5 games are porting to mobile.

laynelane

"Sony may shrink the gap between the launches of its PlayStation exclusives and PC ports. Company president Hiroki Totoki suggested in a post-earnings call Q&A session Wednesday (via VGC) that he wants PlayStation to go “aggressive on improving our margin performance,” with “multi-platform” games playing a significant role. He clarified in the talk that, by multi-platform, he meant on PlayStation and PC — not Xbox or Switch."

"Another driver will be first-party titles. Strong titles that achieve growth on PS5, PCs and other platforms"

I imagine after the xbox uproar, he'd be less inclined to just spill the beans. We all know in our heart of hearts that no first party PS5 games are porting to mobile.

Sony committed to mobile a while ago:

The same article talks about their Cloud plans too.

Questioner 6Q:

[G&NS and I&SS segments]

Stop port begging for Helldivers, Phil

MilkyJoe

Xbox is a dying platform and Xbox gamers don't buy software. Sony and Nintendo don't need Xbox.

I&SS segment: Our issue is that our sales have not enabled us to sufficiently recoup on the investments and R&D that we have engaged in upfront. It is vital that we strike the right balance between our costs and our ability to capture growth opportunities by minimizing operational losses and managing our investments.

:pie_frowning:

I&SS segment: Our issue is that our sales have not enabled us to sufficiently recoup on the investments and R&D that we have engaged in upfront. It is vital that we strike the right balance between our costs and our ability to capture growth opportunities by minimizing operational losses and managing our investments.

Xbox platform is dead, just deal with it...

You are still at denial stage....

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

You're trying way too hard to say, "Sony too."

Sony is finding it hard to reduce the cost of the PlayStation 5 console which lowers their profit margin. That's the main issue. They're looking to put games on other platforms that are not Xbox and Switch.

Xbox Series console failed this generation. They offered steep discounts for months and it failed to push major units. Do you think Sony wants to invest millions to put games on a platform that's clinging to life? It's not worth the time or effort. The Cloud and Mobile has a brighter further than Xbox and that's where Sony's investment is going to go.

If you think they're both going through the exact same problems then you're delusional. lol

MilkyJoe

You're trying way too hard to say, "Sony too."

Sony is finding it hard to reduce the cost of the PlayStation 5 console which lowers their profit margin. That's the main issue. They're looking to put games on other platforms that are not Xbox and Switch.

Xbox Series console failed this generation. They offered steep discounts for months and it failed to push major units. Do you think Sony wants to invest millions to put games on a platform that's clinging to life? It's not worth the time or effort. The Cloud and Mobile has a brighter further than Xbox and that's where Sony's investment is going to go.

If you think they're both going through the exact same problems then you're delusional. lol

I'm not trying anything, I'm just the messenger, that's straight from the Sony horse's mouth.

More from said horse 👇

"And the other potential driver is the first-party title generation, because in the past, as you all know, we wanted to popularize console. The first-party title's main purpose was to make the hardware or the console popular, right? But there is a synergy to it. So if we have a strong first-party content, not only with our console, but also other platforms like computers (PLURAL). And first-party can be grown with multi-platform, and that can help operating profit to improve. So that's another area that we want to track with work on. I personally think there are opportunities out there for improvement of margin. So I would like to go a great from improving our margin performance."

You read into it however you want, but it's pretty self explanatory to someone that's not emotionally dependent on the outcome...

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm not trying anything, I'm just the messenger, that's straight from the Sony horse's mouth.

More from said horse 👇

"And the other potential driver is the first-party title generation, because in the past, as you all know, we wanted to popularize console. The first-party title's main purpose was to make the hardware or the console popular, right? But there is a synergy to it. So if we have a strong first-party content, not only with our console, but also other platforms like computers (PLURAL). And first-party can be grown with multi-platform, and that can help operating profit to improve. So that's another area that we want to track with work on. I personally think there are opportunities out there for improvement of margin. So I would like to go a great from improving our margin performance."

You read into it however you want, but it's pretty self explanatory to someone that's not emotionally dependent on the outcome...

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky
GGzw_OaWsAAkYdl

GGzu6iubAAAVE2S

Do you see the mobile, PC, and, Cloud?

This is nothing new. They have been saying this for years.

This is the multiplatform approach. Being in denial isn't going to help.

MilkyJoe

You're late. They have been putting games on PC for years.

Sony putting games on PC and the Cloud is not the same thing as Xbox putting games on PS and Switch. They know they can't win in the console market and that's why they're filling submitting.
8goazw.jpg

You're late. They have been putting games on PC for years.

Sony putting games on PC and the Cloud is not the same thing as Xbox putting games on PS and Switch. They know they can't win in the console market and that's why they're filling submitting.

It's unreal that you have to explain something so simple

And Microsoft switched to DAY 1 PC releases YEARS ago on STEAM

Last edited:

panda-zebra

I'm not trying
You're trying alright. Bumped a near week old thread with what you likely thought was solid gold gotcha (to a meme post of all things) and had it backfire. No big deal, just take the L.

There's a thread for all this science you're trying to drop and it's been discussed and clarified. The SonyToo™ you're trying a little too hard to invoke just isn't happening - there's different scenarios, no equivalence.

L

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not a single one of those games are "big games," and he already mentioned those 4 outside the "big one he wasn't in liberty to say."

We'll find out this summer or fall.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Common sense. Which is why I thought the take that Pentiment was the "big one" was a joke.
I'm starting to subscribe to what Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 said. This was all a controlled leak, they're notorious for that.

Tom Warren is literally a PR extension for MS/Xbox, and has always been used to leak things out that they want viral before official obfuscation and more ambiguity comes out.

They are controlling "a big one" leak for later this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom