• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: 'Sea of Thieves might be coming to Switch and PlayStation'

FrankWza

nah i'm good seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
ABK is an asset - it is not like they bought an air or something :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yep an asset that has greatly diminished between the intend to buy and the actual merge, acquisition that has also tarnished the Xbox image....I don't think it was worth it.
And having an asset is not the same thing as having the cash it is still an investment so my comment about 30 years still stand...

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yep an asset that has greatly diminished between the intend to buy and the actual merge, acquisition that has also tarnished the Xbox image....I don't think it was worth it.
And having an asset is not the same thing as having the cash it is still an investment so my comment about 30 years still stand...

Greatly diminished? When did that happen lol

If Microsoft's plans are to become more dominant in gaming, how will they achieve that with so many studios and releasing games only on Xbox and PC, as physical platforms?

MS will need to invest billions in the production of the games in all the studios they have now - and its a lot. AAA is not cheap at all lol. Think about that.
I just called Mircosoft to tell them the REAL expert resides in a gaming community. They'll be reaching out to you for your infinite corporate wisdom. /sarcasm

adamsapple

Diablo IV and cod underperforming one criticaly and the other commercialy too.

Absolutely no idea where you're pulling that from. Both games are in the top ten best selling games of the year charts.

Diablo 4 is blizzard's fastest selling game of all time. And Modern Warfare 3 is *still* the top-paid app on PSN and XBL, despite being glorified DLC.

It has a pve only server option now i think
Yes it does. Newbie lobbies. BUT there's a catch. The loot you get is way less than on a PVP server.
Risk and reward I guess.

Can't wait to see it on PS5. I could sail for hours with my son, randomly making a bonfire or exploring the islands. Or go apeshit against a big ship, sail through a massive thunderstorm at night, etc, etc.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Absolutely no idea where you're pulling that from. Both games are in the top ten best selling games of the year charts.

Diablo 4 is blizzard's fastest selling game of all time. And Modern Warfare 3 is *still* the top-paid app on PSN and XBL, despite being glorified DLC.
And selling less than it's predecessor(cod) and diablo had worse reviews and word of mouth (that can be changed easily if only acti were listening).Acti was seen more positively 2 years ago than now ....Overwatch "sort of" 2 didn't help either.

adamsapple

And selling less than it's predecessor(cod) and diablo had worse reviews and word of mouth (that can be changed easily if only acti were listening).Acti was seen more positively 2 years ago than now ....Overwatch "sort of" 2 didn't help either.

1. Where do you see that it has sold less than its predecessors? * outside of 'UK physical only sales'.

2. What the heck do the reviews have to do with anything? a) Diablo 4 is still a well reviewed game (86 meta) and b) Almost all the last bunch of CoD games have reviewed in the 70's or below. What impact has that had ?

Your comments about the asset being greatly diminished is pretty far out, nothing to back it up.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
1. Where do you see that it has sold less than its predecessors? * outside of 'UK physical only sales'.

2. What the heck do the reviews have to do with anything? a) Diablo 4 is still a well reviewed game (86 meta) and b) Almost all the last bunch of CoD games have reviewed in the 70's or below. What impact has that had ?

Your comments about the asset being greatly diminished is pretty far out, nothing to back it up.
Cod that has been the worst reviewed entry in the franchise and viewed as an overpriced DLC and seeling less is a good thing for Acti?I dont think so.
Diablo IV has probably had the worst word of mouth of all diablo (bar diablo immortal of course, the famous out of seasons april's fool) and Overwatch 2 that you forgot to mention.
So yeah MS bought an asset but they're still 100 billion out of their pockets (the original discussion) so those 3 billions are still very weak to recoup that 100 billion and asset is good for when you need to sell it, but for MS I dont think asset is longer needed.

adamsapple

Cod that has been the worst reviewed entry in the franchise and viewed as an overpriced DLC and seeling less is a good thing for Acti?I dont think so.
Diablo IV has probably had the worst word of mouth of all diablo (bar diablo immortal of course, the famous out of seasons april's fool) and Overwatch 2 that you forgot to mention.
So yeah MS bought an asset but they're still 100 billion out of their pockets (the original discussion) so those 3 billions are still very weak to recoup that 100 billion and asset is good for when you need to sell it, but for MS I dont think asset is longer needed.

'reviews' and 'word of mouth' make the asset 'greatly diminished'.

And you're still on about them spending money on an asset that you somehow think they need to recoup in X years for it to be meaningful.

Eddie Murphy Yes GIF

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
'reviews' and 'word of mouth' make the asset 'greatly diminished'.

And you're still on about them spending money on an asset that you somehow think they need to recoup in X years for it to be meaningful.

Eddie Murphy Yes GIF
I never said they needed to recoup in X years you may be thinking about somebody else, I jusst notified I dont remember who that the added revenue were not profit but if we were counting them as profit it would take more than 30 years to become profitable considering the investment.
Thats honestly basic math simplified even to the point of giving all advantages to MS ...But if you want to argue about why MS would need to recoup their investment within X years go talk to the user that said that, I haven't seen one in the replies so far though but I havent read all the thread.

adamsapple

I never said they needed to recoup in X years you may be thinking about somebody else, I jusst notified I dont remember who that the added revenue were not profit but if we were counting them as profit it would take more than 30 years to become profitable considering the investment.
Thats honestly basic math simplified even to the point of giving all advantages to MS ...But if you want to argue about why MS would need to recoup their investment within X years go talk to the user that said that, I haven't seen one in the replies so far though but I havent read all the thread.

Ok, look at it this way.

What do you think the investors are going to look at more. That they spent $70bn to acquire an asset.

Or that the asset brings in 7~8 bn in revenue each year?

ABK brought in 7.5~ bn in revenue in 2022.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Ok, look at it this way.

What do you think the investors are going to look at more. That they spent $70bn to acquire an asset.

Or that the asset brings in 7~8 bn in revenue each year?

ABK brought in 7.5~ bn in revenue in 2022.
1st revenue=/= profit
2 a merger always has overlap and redundency in profit/revenue
3 I was using posters numbers
4 If i give someone 100 dollars and he pays me back 3$ a year thats a hard no.Especially considering all the risks because credits where it is due merger aren't easy

adamsapple

4 If i give someone 100 dollars and he pays me back 3$ a year thats a hard no.Especially considering all the risks because credits where it is due merger aren't easy

By your logic, any acquisition that doesn't recoup its cost 100% in a year or two is not worth it.

Well, the only thing I can say is that it's good that you're not responsible for making acquisitions like this then, lol.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
By your logic, any acquisition that doesn't recoup its cost 100% in a year or two is not worth it.

Well, the only thing I can say is that it's good that you're not responsible for making acquisitions like this then, lol.
Yeah because there are no middleground between a year and 30 years...I'm sure those investors cant wait to reaps the profits in 30 years.We all know how slow and patient investors are.Notice one thing though you are the one using hyperbole and imposing time and delays for profit, all that I say is that 30 years is too long.Is that something you can agree with?

NickFire

The statement that day later Phil himself clarified/debunked?

SoT is fairly old game and reached max penetration on platforms it exists now, it is GaaS - this might be like Sony Gaas probably day 1 on pc as well. You need huge potential player base for gaas to be successful.
I do not believe that he debunked or clarified the statement at all. My recollection is that he came out and said there are no plans . . . . Huge difference between we aren't going to do something and we have no plans in place. Especially when trying to move units at fire sale prices.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
People can kiss Xbox acquisitions goodbye for a while now.

It is partly because of these large-scale acquisitions they are in this mess now. They won't add more to their burdens.

This predictable mess should be the end of Phil Spencer as the head of Microsoft Gaming. Instead of saving Xbox by becoming the biggest console games publisher in the world. he's bringing about the end of Xbox.

adamsapple

Yeah because there are no middleground between a year and 30 years...I'm sure those investors cant wait to reaps the profits in 30 years.We all know how slow and patient investors are.Notice one thing though you are the one using hyperbole and imposing time and delays for profit, all that I say is that 30 years is too long.Is that something you can agree with?

Yes, there is a middle ground between one and 30, at the rate ABK makes revenue, the deal will have completely paid off itself in less than 10 years.

But that is such an incredibly moot point anyway, Microsoft made more than 146 billion in gross profit in 2023, your concern over the investors is so ridiculously unfounded that it borders the hilarious.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yes, there is a middle ground between one and 30, at the rate ABK makes revenue, the deal will have completely paid off itself in less than 10 years.

But that is such an incredibly moot point anyway, Microsoft made more than 146 billion in gross profit in 2023, your concern over the investors is so ridiculously unfounded that it borders the hilarious.
So your conclusion is whatver ms is rich?
Listen if you have nothing to say then just don't reply.
If you don't want to talk about the points I raised then don't reply.
And if you want to talk about my points at least try to stay relevant, otherwise don't reply.

adamsapple

So your conclusion is whatver ms is rich?
Listen if you have nothing to say then just don't reply.
If you don't want to talk about the points I raised then don't reply.
And if you want to talk about my points at least try to stay relevant, otherwise don't reply.

But I am replying to your points, and also telling you that they make no sense.

Your first point was about the value of the asset being greatly diminished, with nothing to back it up but reviews and word of mouth, neither of which has had any impact on ABK's value in the previous years, but somehow is a detriment now.

Your second point was about investors being concerned, which, again, is not an issue as MS is generating in the hundreds of billions in profit, so people investing in the company are going to be fine.

The money sitting there in their coffers is doing nothing, this is an investment.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
But I am replying to your points, and also telling you that they make no sense.

Your first point was about the value of the asset being greatly diminished, with nothing to back it up but reviews and word of mouth, neither of which has had any impact on ABK's value in the previous years, but somehow is a detriment now.

Your second point was about investors being concerned, which, again, is not an issue as MS is generating in the hundreds of billions in profit, so people investing in the company are going to be fine.

The money sitting there in their coffers is doing nothing, this is an investment.
Cod selling less, you don't care
revenue differing from profit, you don't care.
You are not adressing my points just not talking about them or building a strawman.And even post bullshit about the investment being recouped in 10 years when even your own numbers that are 1. revenue and
2 don't account overlapse/redundency
Would still take more than 10 years if anything you are the one showing that you do not understand how this works but I get it, it is to present more favorable numbers.But listen I don't want to argue with you anymore mostly because I got bored of it.You will never would it be at least recognize even the most simple thing about the difference between revenue and profit which is a simple objective definition so why bother continuing this discussion?If you were capable of admitting the slightest concession there would be hope for a discussion of people that have different opinions.
That is not the case, you put words in my mouth I never said, you misinterpret on purpose.So go talk to someone that have more patience than me, you 'll refuse everything , even the most sensible thing I could say.When facts and reality aren't a problem to you then Ill just let you with your feelings.

Havoc2049

1st revenue=/= profit
2 a merger always has overlap and redundency in profit/revenue
3 I was using posters numbers

It depends on how much that $100 was making for you before you invested it in a different direction. Since Microsoft bought ABK with money they had on the sidelines, all they need to do is make more money than what the money was making before, and it will be a solid investment.

As to the success of Diablo IV...

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It depends on how much that $100 was making for you before you invested it in a different direction. Since Microsoft bought ABK with money they had on the sidelines, all they need to do is make more money than what the money was making before and it will be a solid investment.

As to the success of Diablo IV...
Because you think those 100 were the best way to invest?Imagine how many projects/studios could that represent.I am sure they could've turned to profit way faster than in 30 years and for projects way more interesting.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I just read some of your posts and I think you should stop trying to be right when you aren't ok?

Save your dignity and shut up. My fucking God.
Alright then then profit is equal to revenue and all investments should either be profitable in a year or in 30 years, let's just throws subtlety and stay on manichean ways to view things.

StueyDuck

More people playing more games is great but this feels a bit too little too late. I don't see SoT taking off now on PS in a big way

If MS are smart they'll get this on PS premium or plus.

Hopefully this is a trend for at least PS/MS going forward, bringing much older games to the other platforms.

I'd love to see the nate drake collection on Xbox and rare replay on PS

Last edited:

StueyDuck

well hopefully we can all look back on this and see it as a turning point.

if this is how MS drives the industry going forward now they'll be back in my good books.

the were heavy on my shitlist for consolidation and taking IP away from platforms

Mephisto40

Tried to play it once or twice and I just don't get the appeal

Just felt like I was in this huge world with nothing to do other than jump around on islands and ships

Zheph

well hopefully we can all look back on this and see it as a turning point.

if this is how MS drives the industry going forward now they'll be back in my good books.

the were heavy on my shitlist for consolidation and taking IP away from platforms
I see your point but I think the reality is quite different, one console is selling extremely well and not the other despite massive investments

StueyDuck

I see your point but I think the reality is quite different, one console is selling extremely well and not the other despite massive investments
oh i don't deny that Sony and especially Nintendo won't be up for this. but one can dream.

MS pushed the subscription gamepass model and cross play and those were good things, so there is hope.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Perhaps they are just going to play the Sony to pc game, in reverse. Release your older games to other platforms to maximize cash flow, while still retaining a 2-3 year exclusive window on xbox.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Perhaps they are just going to play the Sony to pc game, in reverse. Release your older games to other platforms to maximize cash flow, while still retaining a 2-3 year exclusive window on xbox.
Completely different things. Xbox already releases its game on PC day one.

Releasing on PC =/= releasing on direct competitors' platforms.

daTRUballin

I like how most of this thread is console warrior nonsense and nobody has mentioned the fact that this would be the first Rare game on a Nintendo console since the buyout or that this is the first Rare game on a Sony console in history.

Typical GAF.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think everybody will be content if Microsoft releases some third party games but also acquires Square Enix and/or Sega.
If MS goes full 3rd party....who cares?

I see some ppl are starting to accept MS going full 3rd party might be happening sooner than expected.

Top Bottom