• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: 'Sea of Thieves might be coming to Switch and PlayStation'

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's no longer just Grubb reporting on this.. Totilo (and Warren) are on this too.

Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 What exactly is the "new Xbox strategy"? Did Warren ever report anything similar?
None. At least I haven't seen any original report by Tom Warren.

I think it is just now that multiple credible sources have reported it, and it's pretty much certain that this is what's happening, shills (like Tom) will start saying, "yeah, makes sense. This is Xbox's strategy."

Otherwise, this is the "spin" and cope I'm seeing.

lsP13HH.jpg

SHA

OVtOBDf.jpg

This felt appropriate too since Microsoft seems to be in the middle of their Dreamcast moment with the Xbox brand.
Historicaly speaking, Sony is the one who contained SEGAs market, back in ps1 launch, devs have moved away from Peter Moore to Ken Kutaragi.

Sleepwalker

They could keep their platform and also release their games in other platforms, they already do this with steam on PC despite having their own store.

Gamepass would most likely remain exclusive to Xbox platforms/PC regardless, so any extra revenue from people who didn't want to go into their ecosystem in the first place would be extra.

Roberts

Top5 MP experience for me. We fooled around and did stupid shit more often than something meaningful, but that is part of the charm. Also, all the Tall Tales have been outstanding.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

I think it is just now that multiple credible sources have reported it, and it's pretty much certain that this is what's happening, shills (like Tom) will start saying, "yeah, makes sense. This is Xbox's strategy."

lsP13HH.jpg

Spinning this as "console sales don't matter." lol

If this were the case, then they wouldn't try hard to make games exclusive after they acquired ZeniMax. If they put big games on PlayStation, then this proves that their strategy failed and they're looking at alternate ways to generate more revenue.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They could keep their platform and also release their games in other platforms, they already do this with steam on PC despite having their own store.

Gamepass would most likely remain exclusive to Xbox platforms/PC regardless, so any extra revenue from people who didn't want to go into their ecosystem in the first place would be extra.
That strategy will not work though. PC releases had an impact, but it wasn't big enough because PC and consoles are separate market with a smaller overlap.

PS and Xbox share 95% of the same game library and are in the same price range. As soon as they release their games on PlayStation, single-console owners would just start buying PS5 over Xbox because that console -- at the same price point -- would give them the best of both worlds.

There won't be a platform to keep. And I think Microsoft, at long last, has finally understood that it's okay to let their console hardware go.

Sleepwalker

That strategy will not work though. PC releases had an impact, but it wasn't big enough because PC and consoles are separate market with a smaller overlap.

PS and Xbox share 95% of the same game library and are in the same price range. As soon as they release their games on PlayStation, single-console owners would just start buying PS5 over Xbox because that console -- at the same price point -- would give them the best of both worlds.

There won't be a platform to keep. And I think Microsoft, at long last, has finally understood that it's okay to let their console hardware go.

I honestly truly don't care for their console or their games, but it's better to just keep supporting what they already have out that just cutting off the cord, they still are and will keep making money from existing xbox owners even if the platform is going the way of the dodo so no need to pull the plug right away.

Proelite

If one of them is living it means the other has to die. Zero-sum game!

In all honesty, you'll see a lot more Xbox stuff on Nintendo platforms, and some older MP games like Grounded, SOT on PS5. The ones going to PS platforms will be driven by metrics looking into how much of a system/game pass seller the IP is. SOT IP is likely not moving consoles/subs ever again so it makes sense.

People should be ready for a future where Sony and MS are more collaborative than combative. That doesn't mean they'll not have exclusives, They absolutely will.

Some of the 360 / PS3 era competition were a race to the bottom and that was unsustainable. It should be clear by now that Xbox and PS are both here to stay, so the goal of both companies should be to maximize profits instead of taking market share at the expense of the other. i.e. Sony has a vastly larger market share and yet their profit margins are abysmal.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I honestly truly don't care for their console or their games, but it's better to just keep supporting what they already have out that just cutting off the cord, they still are and will keep making money from existing xbox owners even if the platform is going the way of the dodo so no need to pull the plug right away.
Oh of course they won't pull the plug per se. It is just that they won't release another console.

Rumors are that they have already canceled the 2024 Xbox Series X refresh -- which makes sense if they have opted to become a third-party publisher instead. So Series X and S would be the last Xbox consoles in that case.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Now if they release Ori 1 and 2 on PlayStation, I'll double dip and platinum the games on my PS5.

I don't think I'm interested in any other game they have. Maybe Grounded? But not sure.

dem

Sea of Thieves exists in a weird space. There is something really cool about it... but the gameplay loop is just so fucking basic.

It really feels like it should be a free to play game.

Last edited:

Proelite

lsP13HH.jpg

David is absolutely right. SOT is not driving console / gamepass sales and will never do so again as an IP.

Saber

Gold Member
This game is ugly and boring as fuck. Wouldn't make a difference to me to have this crap on playstation.

dem

I could definitely see Sea of Thieves going multiplat. It just makes sense, imo.

Game could be monetized a lot better than it is.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
MS played the Skull and Bones beta and saw blood in the PS5 waters. SoT won’t have competition to worry about there, so they’re porting it.

Astray

Gold Member
Exactly. I follow Warren's reporting pretty closely, and I never saw him reporting any new Xbox strategy.

Unless he means Tim Stuart's comments? I think he did report on it?

Paul Tassi is so hurt.
He has more misery to come, this has been accelerating very quickly. Seems like a decision to pivot to some form of 3P was handed down by Satya.

Nydius

I could definitely see Sea of Thieves going multiplat. It just makes sense, imo.

Could say the same thing about Halo Infinite multiplayer, honestly.

Since it's F2P with GaaS supporting it, they could make a lot more money if it were on every platform.

But I don't think that'll happen just yet.

Proelite

Yeah, SOT as an IP is what it will ever be on Xbox and PC. The only way to get more value from the IP is to bring it to other platforms. Halo, Gears, Forza, etc will have sequels. SOT will not.

In addition, unlike SP games, it's not additive to the Gamepass / Xbox portfolio, akin to something like Hifi Rush / Pentiment would.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Exactly. I follow Warren's reporting pretty closely, and I never saw him reporting any new Xbox strategy.

Unless he means Tim Stuart's comments? I think he did report on it?

He has more misery to come, this has been accelerating very quickly. Seems like a decision to pivot to some form of 3P was handed down by Satya.
Even if he did report on Tim's comments, I bet he brushed it off after Phil's statement.

But everybody stupidly ignored Tim's comments, when they should have ignored Phil's. Tim was talking to investors, while Phil was trying to put off fires on Twitter.

Proelite

Since it's F2P with GaaS supporting it, they could make a lot more money if it were on every platform.

Halo will have sequels so the IP itself will be capable of moving Gamepass / consoles. Not to mention the metrics will show that Halo, Gears, Forza has higher attach rate for new Xbox customers than SOT.

Astray

Gold Member
But everybody stupidly ignored Tim's comments, when they should have ignored Phil's. Tim was talking to investors, while Phil was trying to put off fires on Twitter.
Even Judge is saying that Stuart basically gave the game away. It's utterly insane to think that the Division's CFO doesn't know every tiny bit about their plans for ports and new games! He's the one who has to make sure those plans make money! They're not gonna hide the existence of projects from him!

dem

I'd also support that

No matter how good Halo multiplayer is... it can't sustain thrive on Xbox alone. (I know there is PC... but PC halo never felt right to me.) If I'm Microsoft... the only move left is putting all this shit on Playstation, hoping its successful.. and using that as leverage for the next console go around. I'd separate the Multiplayer and single player. Make the campaign Xbox exclusive.

Or.. just go 3rd party. But I'd hate for it to come to that, because I actually like the Xbox ecosystem.

Shrugs GIF

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sea of thieves will make a shit load of money on Switch and playstation tbh.

Just like a Minecraft type vibe.

Top Bottom