• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge: MS launching Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment on other platforms, Sea of Thieves later in 2024

The supposed strategy is to release games on PS and Nintendo to entice people to come into the xbox eco system. How the fuck is HiFi Rush and Pentiment going to do that? You might as bring over Redfall too for the shits and giggles. Do the people over at xbox know how stacked the first 6 months is for the PS5? Those games will be dead on arrival.

XXL

Just a reminder of what Phil said the last time they brought games to PC. Thought this very relevant for what's announced on Thursday.

They brought everything to PC Day 1 a bit less than a year later. Lol.

The supposed strategy is to release games on PS and Nintendo to entice people to come into the xbox eco system. How the fuck is HiFi Rush and Pentiment going to do that? You might as bring over Redfall too for the shits and giggles. Do the people over at xbox know how stacked the first 6 months is for the PS5? Those games will be dead on arrival.
They are both very well received games, so why not? They are also pretty unique and unlike anything else on Switch or Playstation.

That's the strategy people are hoping for because their minds refuse to acknowledge that MS is going full third party. These games are just to start the process without pissing off their core base. They will release everything because the goal is to stop the bleeding and actually start making some money.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You're discounting Starfield here, one of the games of all time. Please exercise caution.
I would be curious how Starfield would do. Word of the mouth has been mid, so I doubt it would sell super well, but 2M copies would be something.

If you ask me, they should just release Starfield now, then sell the DLC separately instead of waiting until it's all one package.

Don Carlo

I would be curious how Starfield would do. Word of the mouth has been mid, so I doubt it would sell super well, but 2M copies would be something.

If you ask me, they should just release Starfield now, then sell the DLC separately instead of waiting until it's all one package.
Word of mouth hasn't just been mid; it's been plain awful. I've tried the game on my Series X, and man, it's just a whole lot of nothing. Sure, I get how it can be enjoyable sometimes, but it heavily underutilized its scale, which otherwise had massive potential. Getting Starfield on PlayStation would be logical in terms of a sales boost.

Killjoy-NL

You're discounting Starfield here, one of the games of all time. Please exercise caution.
Not sure if serious, but Starfield doesn't seem anywhere near one of the games of all time.

It'll sell, but I seriously doubt it will be anything record-breaking.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't understand why people here are being so aggressive about Microsoft releasing their games on other platforms.
The only aggressive ones are the influencers on social media and the account suicide brand retards on here.

Everyone else as taking the piss.

True, but people obsessed with sales numbers don’t care. Lol.
Sales numbers seem to matter for MS to pivot to this.

Last edited:

Crayon

1d754c41-cc75-4d26-9e4e-8171a6c3e1c1_text.gif

Just a reminder of what Phil said the last time they brought games to PC. Thought this very relevant for what's announced on Thursday.

Guy is a PR spin doctor, always has been. I have no idea why some people just blindly take him at face value.

Ozriel

M$FT
"Hey Playstation gamers, we know you have Stellar Blade, FF7 Rebirth, Rise of Ronin, HellDivers 2 and 3rd party bangers like Dragons Dogma coming soon. Can we interest you in some Hifi Rush and Pentiment?" Like I said, dead on arrival.

The genre overlap between HiFi Rush and Pentiment and those other titles is pretty much non-existent, and it’d be surprising if more than one of those titles lands to better critic or player reception than HFR.

People working overtime in this thread to one-up themselves with increasingly absurd takes 🤣

Ozriel

M$FT
Guy is a PR spin doctor, always has been. I have no idea why some people just blindly take him at face value.

On the podcast, Spencer explains that Microsoft are “committed to bringing [the] biggest franchises from Xbox to Windows, we’ve said that” but that it “doesn’t mean, necessarily, that every game ends up on both platforms, because there could be some differences in how things play.

Seems like what actually happened?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

So going to hold something against someone for what they said 8 years ago?

Jim Carrey Ok GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes it was - several months after it's initial console release, which ties into the rest of my post that you cut off.
How are you comparing these two situations vs a cross platform play gaas title? Which we all knew for quite a while was going to be a simultaneous launch for those games.

Especially PC vs rival consoles.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
How are you comparing these two situations vs a cross platform play gaas title?...
... I wrote a post explaining that? The post you quoted one sentence from?

You stated that Microsoft were "forced" into releasing their titles elsewhere. I disagreed using Sony's strategy as the counter-point: GaaS = as many platforms as possible, niche titles = multiplatform after they've done their job. Based on the rumour, Microsoft are simply going to start doing something similar to what Sony has been doing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You stated that Microsoft were "forced" into releasing their titles elsewhere. I disagreed using Sony's strategy as the counter-point: GaaS = as many platforms as possible, niche titles = multiplatform after they've done their job. Based on the rumour, Microsoft are simply going to start doing something similar to what Sony has been doing.
Ok.

MS was already doing it on the PC, Sony is not doing it on Xbox.

But totally the same. :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I just googled a picture of Pentiment, are people taking the piss here? Is that really it?

ss_8c76f962adb8901d873e48660bf3147656c1d1b4.1920x1080.jpg
I like that kind of indie games, but I'm realistic and will buy it only when it's under 5$. I'm sorry MS, but that's not worth 20$, specially when games like Cat Quest are 5$-10$.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Sad Season 9 GIF by The Office

There all gonna come. Just gonna be exclusive to Xbox first. Exact same way Sony does it on PC.

What has been doing Sony recently? Releasing 1P titles on PC a year or two later? MS has been releasing 1P and exclusives on PC on release day since several years ago. I might have missed what is doing Sony different from MS in releasing titles on other platforms.

Killjoy-NL

What has been doing Sony recently? Releasing 1P titles on PC a year or two later? MS has been releasing 1P and exclusives on PC on release day since several years ago. I might have missed what is doing Sony different from MS in releasing titles on other platforms.
What do you mean?

Sony doesn't do day 1 releases on PC, which already makes a difference. And it's mostly older titles and with Helldivers 2 being the first one, it's going to be primarily multiplayer GaaS titles.

Fabieter

What do you mean?

Sony doesn't do day 1 releases on PC, which already makes a difference. And it's mostly older titles and with Helldivers 2 being the first one, it's going to be primarily multiplayer GaaS titles.

Well I dont think it will stay that way. Sony shifted the narrative slowly but surely and I expect them to do day one sp games soon enough. Its gonna be a mistake but it is what it is.

Killjoy-NL

Well I dont think it will stay that way. Sony shifted the narrative slowly but surely and I expect them to do day one sp games soon enough. Its gonna be a mistake but it is what it is.
Maybe.

If Sony is smart and if MS is going to move towards handhelds (and possibly mobile), the best thing to do is rely more on exclusivity again, outside of GaaS. Which they have been saying all this time.

A lot probably depends on what Xbox ia going to say during the business update tomorrow.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I like that kind of indie games, but I'm realistic and will buy it only when it's under 5$. I'm sorry MS, but that's not worth 20$, specially when games like Cat Quest are 5$-10$.

I'm not sure you can call this an indie game when it's developed by Obsidian.

Also, no lie, it's one of the best games Obsidian has made. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

nikolino840

if someone here says are fun games after playing on ps5 i will do a research if you have made laughs or shitpostings about those IPs 🤣

So going to hold something against someone for what they said 8 years ago?

Jim Carrey Ok GIF

They started bringing everything to pc like a year after that. It didn’t take 8 years for him to be caught in more bs lies.

The point of the post is a reminder of how they approached a very similar situation last time. I suspect they will do the same thing Thursday. Claim it won’t be everything and then that’s exactly what will happen. It clearly worked last time so why wouldn’t they just do it again?

Ozriel

M$FT
They started bringing everything to pc like a year after that. It didn’t take 8 years for him to be caught in more bs lies.

The point of the post is a reminder of how they approached a very similar situation last time. I suspect they will do the same thing Thursday. Claim it won’t be everything and then that’s exactly what will happen. It clearly worked last time so why wouldn’t they just do it again?

He specifically said not every game will be on both platforms depending on how workable the game is on the platform. And that certainly played out, with some games being (timed) PC exclusive due to input (Flight sim, Gears Tactics, Age of Empires…and the upcoming Ara), and Forza Motorsport not making the jump until FM7.

I’m not sure how sensible it is to use as an analogue for tomorrow since in that interview he already said they were bringing their biggest franchises to PC. How is this a ‘similar situation’?

jwaxeman

Tom Warren would be openly mocked and ridiculed if it were revealed that the "big one" he was talking about in that video was Pentiment. Being that I'm typically in favor of openly mocking someone as smug as Tom Warren, I hope it is true.

You Got It Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp
What are the chances he didn’t know what it was and just guessed it was big

Topher

Gold Member
What are the chances he didn’t know what it was and just guessed it was big

No, he was very explicit about it. Said he knew for a fact. I mean......he could be entirely full of shit, but certainly didn't seem that way to me. Very confident.

Here is the video:

jwaxeman

Remember… It’s not really about getting them to buy an Xbox. It’s literally just to spend money and time playing their games and buying their DLC. It’s not “hey we’re giving you Sea of Thieves, but you need an Xbox for Sea of Thieves 2.” It’s more “nobody else on Xbox is spending money on this. So we’re giving it to you to spend money on now, on your PlayStation.”

I fully expect them to get bolder and do this with bigger games too. There’s no reason not to (eventually) sell Starfield and its DLC on PS5. In some ways it makes more sense for single player games—once people are done buying it, that’s it—there’s no more revenue (unlike a multiplayer game where you spend money long after purchase).

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yours is just as much a matter of "belief" as anyone's, but there is just no logic behind suggesting Pentiment is a "big" game at all. But yes, I'll be shocked if Tom Warren actually described Pentiment as a "big" game. Makes absolutely no sense.
So were you shocked? Or do you think Grounded was the big game?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They said the big games. By not closing the door and leaving it open for their AAA ones. In fact, they admitted to considering them but "pulled back... for now... to see how dipping their toes works first."

Sure all sounds like them and Sony porting games early on to the PC before MS going balls deep and Sony almost more than 3/4 down the shaft to them.

Slowly boiling the green rats frogs. Can't have them all canceling their Game Pass and smashing any more boxes on social media.

Ease them in gently with lube so you don't break their little anal hearts. They'll fall in line, they already are on here and social media. Evangelical even.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Neither. I don't think any of the games were the "big one" Warren was talking about. I also don't believe Phil Spencer laid out everything they have planned as far as multiplat games, but that's speculation on my part.

We won't know what "big" game Tom Warren was talking about until he (or Microsoft) reveals it or.....he was just full of shit and he will never admit to it. Either way, still think there iz zero chance he was referring to Pentiment as the "big one".

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Neither. I don't think any of the games were the "big one" Warren was talking about. I also don't believe Phil Spencer laid out everything they have planned as far as multiplat games, but that's speculation on my part.

We won't know what "big" game Tom Warren was talking about until he (or Microsoft) reveals it or.....he was just full of shit and he will never admit to it. Either way, still think there iz zero chance he was referring to Pentiment as the "big one".
This type of shit is so annoying. He said he's "not at liberty to say," doesn't want to upset his bosses, because you know damned well he would spill the beans if he heard about a Sony IP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom