• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: 'Sea of Thieves might be coming to Switch and PlayStation'

Klayzer

If Microsoft's plans are to become more dominant in gaming, how will they achieve that with so many studios and releasing games only on Xbox and PC, as physical platforms?

MS will need to invest billions in the production of the games in all the studios they have now - and its a lot. AAA is not cheap at all lol. Think about that.
I mentioned that point many times. Absorbing all those development costs, plus staff, is a money sinking nightmare. The Xbox buying public, would really have buy these exclusives, way more than they currently do to justify the money spent on development.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
While I don't tend to agree with the source here very often he has a great point about Grubb

Still, the absolute lack of self awareness is just comedic brother, wouldn't you agree ?

Right or wrong, zealots like the one above should receive zero sympathy, imagine being a grown up stanning for multi billion companies that give zero fooks about you personally while frothing at the mouth at the same time.

Apparently, video games = serious business 😉

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Grubb has been reliable in the past though, had some leaks that came true
He puts so much out there that's a miss, would love to know his batting average

Still, the absolute lack of self awareness is just comedic brother, wouldn't you agree ?

Right or wrong, zealots like the one above should receive zero sympathy, imagine being a grown up stanning for multi billion companies that give zero fooks about you personally while frothing at the mouth at the same time.

Apparently, video games = serious business 😉
100% x 2

havoc00

PR Nightmare for Xbox.

who is gonna make the Damage Control, Phil or Sarah?
Only one man can clean this mess up

1259162260.0.jpg

RickMasters

PR Nightmare for Xbox.

who is gonna make the Damage Control, Phil or Sarah?

He said not long ago on an Xbox unlocked podcast that he hates that Xbox gamers always come with these kinds of rumours “is it coming to switch or not. Xbox fans deserve better ” and yet here we are again.

The thinking behind the thinking at MS is utterly baffling.

For a game like sea of theives I think it makes sense. But hi fi rush? One of their few new IPs worth talking about? Something that should attract people to their eco system being used to gain a few dollars on an additional platform.

If the idea is to go multiformat then they need to do Xbox owners a favour and not keep them waiting about the idea of a new Xbox in a few years. They should also not have.

If their idea is to attract people to their own ecosystem….. then this is a terrible approach.

I just don’t know what to think as far as them. It’s like they still don’t know how this game is played. No pun intended.

Banjo64

cumsessed
In my opinion, this is the most successful game Microsoft have ever been solely responsible for. Halo, Gears and Ori were all ‘second party’.

Pretty big statement of intent if this is true. It’s numbers absolutely dwarf Halo MCC, Infinite, Grounded, Gears 5, Forza Motorsport and Horizon.

nemiroff

Gold Member
SoT is a fantastic chill quality PvE experience - Completely ruined by forced PvP.

2 hours of great treasure hunting - Then it all vanishes in 2 seconds because "SURPRISE!" You've been griefed..

With that said, the single player/co-op modes is some of the best of its genre.

Anyway.. So it's going multiplatform..? Great!

Last edited:

Nydius

But hi fi rush? One of their few new IPs worth talking about? Something that should attract people to their eco system being used to gain a few dollars on an additional platform.

It's been out a year and didn't "attract people to their eco system". Even a large majority of people already within their ecosystem didn't care, as was pointed out in the other 14-plus page Windows Central thread. Half the people who downloaded or bought the game on Xbox platforms didn't beat the first boss.

If their own playerbase isn't playing it when it's offered to them as part of their subscription service, why not take the chance a year later to sell more copies on other platforms where there's a larger install base?

Last edited:

Proelite

It's been out a year and didn't "attract people to their eco system". Even a large majority of people already within their ecosystem didn't care, as was pointed out in the other 14-plus page Windows Central thread. Half the people who downloaded or bought the game on Xbox platforms didn't beat the first boss.

If their own playerbase isn't playing it when it's offered to them as part of their subscription service, why not take the chance a year later to sell more copies on other platforms where there's a larger install base?

Hifi Rush is part of a whole portfolio of niche SP titles that form the Xbox Gamepass / Porfolio identity. You don't put that on a direct competing platform.

Switch is obviously not a direct competiting platform.

Last edited:

Nydius

Hifi Rush is part of a whole portfolio of niche SP titles that form the Xbox Gamepass / Porfolio identity.

So niche that most of their own playerbase didn't play it.

People seem to forget that Microsoft is in this game to make money. You're not making money by investing in titles that no one plays, sitting on them on a single platform, and saying "but look at our niche catalog!". Having niche products doesn't matter if it doesn't move the needle.

Sega was full of niche IPs too.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

SoT is a really good game...now. It was pretty rough when it launched, even still me, my wife, and friends lost hours just sailing around chatting about our day and stumbling upon random treasure. It has had a ton of stuff added and changed since launch, but it's something you play for a bit and then put aside for awhile and come back to, which me and my wife have been wanting to lately.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I haven't heard anything as of late especially regarding SoT specifically

I have said before though it was always a goal of Xbox to get their MP games on Playstation, they have approached them several times in the past regarding it no matter what Spencer has said publicly
I don’t understand the hang up?

Is it to do with needing a Microsoft account to play the games on PS?

Surely if Microsoft want to release a game on PS (just like Minecraft, Quake, whatever) there’s nothing stopping them?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don’t understand the hang up?

Is it to do with needing a Microsoft account to play the games on PS?

Surely if Microsoft want to release a game on PS (just like Minecraft, Quake, whatever) there’s nothing stopping them?
This was always what Ybarra thought but he said he never heard 100% officially but yeah it all came down to MS wanting a free XBL account on PS and the brass at PS figured shortly after allowing that MS would be screaming from the mountain tops look at how much our user base increased

That was always his theory based on people's talking off record.

MikeM

Holla at me when Halo and Gears comes to PS. Would be a sweet platinum trophy even though I have played the eff out of them on Xbox/PC.

ManaByte

Gold Member
This was always what Ybarra thought but he said he never heard 100% officially but yeah it all came down to MS wanting a free XBL account on PS and the brass at PS figured shortly after allowing that MS would be screaming from the mountain tops look at how much our user base increased

I know for a fact that’s why Minecraft crossplay was blocked for so long.

Banjo64

cumsessed

If I had to guess I’d say PS would be worried about data collection from a major rival? Knowing your consumer’s usage habits might be something PS consider highly important - I dunno. Seems odd.

Anyway, this is all heading one way IMO and it might take 1 year or 10. Game Pass (and Xbox) will never have mass market penetration whilst they are tied to their own hardware. It’s like Netflix only allowing access to Netflix through dedicated hardware, it’d never take off. Ease of access is a key pillar of mass market appeal.

They just added a "safer seas" option where you (and friends you invite) are the only people on the server so you can avoid PVP if you wish. The downside is you limit your progression and rewards but you can still experience almost all the game has to offer, you just can't get higher tier stuff like Pirate Legend.

Interesting ...what about sailing? Is that improved/easier now for solo play? That's what I got hung up on in this game. Was possible but not fun

Gojiira

Isn't this their most successful multiplayer game? And has been for years. Why not keep it exclusive?
You literally got it in one…’Successful’ and since its a GaaS it makes the most sense to release on as many platforms as possible and milk all those multiplat microtransactions..

Proelite

So niche that most of their own playerbase didn't play it.

People seem to forget that Microsoft is in this game to make money. You're not making money by investing in titles that no one plays, sitting on them on a single platform, and saying "but look at our niche catalog!". Having niche products doesn't matter if it doesn't move the needle.

Sega was full of niche IPs too.

Niche title means most of the player base didn't / won't play it. But with Game pass, the majority of the player base would have played a niche title.

Netflix thrive on this model.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Holla at me when Halo and Gears comes to PS. Would be a sweet platinum trophy even though I have played the eff out of them on Xbox/PC.

what do old games like gears of war or master chief collection even do for the Xbox these days? Just sitting there for gamepass. Put them on the PlayStation and get a couple million sales from old catalog games.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
While I don't tend to agree with the source here very often he has a great point about Grubb

Doesn't matter. This clown deserves to be in a constant meltdown, over and over and over again....you know just a constant loop.

This doesn't feel like a Phil move, he's getting his marching order from above.

Jup, the share holders aren't happy.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I see two possibly hopeful scenarios here.

1 it happens and 2 it sells shitloads on ps and generates tons of revenue for rare.

It would be a great success story for an already succesful game.

twilo99

Isn't this their most successful multiplayer game? And has been for years. Why not keep it exclusive?

Isn't it GaaS ? That thing is probably dead and they want to inject some new players to keep it alive for a little longer...

That's my guess anyway.

Microsoft shouldn't keep anything exclusive regardless.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I see two possibly hopeful scenarios here.

1 it happens and 2 it sells shitloads on ps and generates tons of revenue for rare.

It would be a great success story for an already succesful game.
Speculative but I think this easily sells a minimum 2m units on each platform (PS and Ninty). Considering the floor when it’s on sale is £17.49, and a lot of people would buy it full price on launch, that’s a lot of money on the table.

Top Bottom