• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: 'Sea of Thieves might be coming to Switch and PlayStation'

Grubb mentioned in today's Game Mess Morning episode podcast that Sea of Thieves could be coming to Switch and PS5. Video should be timestamped, but it case it doesn't work I've posted below a transcript with the relevant info.

Transcript:

"Sea of Thieves, right---I'll say I've heard that is one that might be coming to other platforms. When I first started hearing these rumors, I was like, 'Oh this is probably about Sea of Thieves, because I've heard that could come to Switch and PlayStation.' And maybe that might be the kind of thing where like, actually all of this stuff is happening, and Microsoft is kind of trying to rejigger its strategy."

Additional reporting coming via STEPHEN TOTILO:
Microsoft has looked into launching its hit Xbox and PC multiplayer pirate game Sea of Thieves on PlayStation, a source familiar with plans for the port tells Game File.

While Microsoft has released some of its first-party published games on rival platforms before, this would be the first time the company ports one of its marquee Xbox/PC games to its most direct competitor, Sony.

Microsoft previously released two externally developed games in the Ori series on Nintendo’s Switch some time after their original release on Xbox and PC. And the company regularly releases games in its Minecraft franchise simultaneously across Xbox, PC, PlayStation and Switch.

Over the weekend, an Xbox rep declined to comment when I asked about Sea of Thieves and PlayStation. Since Friday, rumors have been swirling about Microsoft considering taking more exclusive games to other platforms (Reporter Jeff Grubb also mentioned this morning that he’d heard about Sea Of Thieves to PS5 and Switch; I’d only heard about PlayStation, possibly for an early 2024 release, and have been trying to source it more extensively since then).

Last edited:

Spitfire098

Patrick So It Begins GIF

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Isn't this their most successful multiplayer game? And has been for years. Why not keep it exclusive?
It's a major GaaS for Xbox, so it makes sense for it to go everywhere, IMO (not unlike Minecraft really). I wonder if the Switch/PS5 ports come along with a F2P release. The MTX in the game are really great looking and probably make a good bit of money. I'm all for this move. I've put over 1500 hours into the game, and have met some really awesome people along the way.

pasterpl

Isn't this their most successful multiplayer game? And has been for years. Why not keep it exclusive?
No comparable games on competing platforms = money. 💰 imo. All gaas games should be multi platform regardless of publisher/developer to give these the biggest chance to succeed. generate even more money.

re hi fi rush it is ideal for switch.

all above are already on gamepass and on pc.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just go 3rd party. Youre not selling consoles. Just make games for everything. That’s seems to be your whole entire approach anyway.

“Play anything anywhere”

Garbage.

But if you’re gonna do it then do it properly

Last edited:

Elios83

Third party gates are opening?
Afterall they already gave up on Xbox exclusives long ago by publishing their games day one on PC. Time to finish the job and give their IPs a chance to grow by bringing them to more successful platforms?

Mowcno

It is starting to feel like this is the year MS will slowly start to leave exclusives in the past. After how Xbox Hardware sold in 2023 I don't blame them. No point sacrificing software sales for hardware sales when your hardware sales are terrible anyway.

Can you imagine them locking something like Elderscrolls 6 away from 85% of the console market by skipping PS5/Switch 2 for Xbox Series Exclusivity? Xbox hardware hasn't sold well enough to justify it. Locking a game to the Xbox Series now is like shooting it in the kneecap.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It is starting to feel like this is the year MS will slowly start to leave exclusives in the past. After how Xbox Hardware sold in 2023 I don't blame them. No point sacrificing software sales for hardware sales when your hardware sales are terrible anyway.

Can you imagine them locking something like Elderscrolls 6 away from 85% of the console market by skipping PS5/Switch 2 for Xbox Series Exclusivity? Xbox hardware hasn't sold well enough to justify it. Locking a game to the Xbox Series now is like shooting it in the kneecap.
I think they have learned that lesson the hard way with Starfield. Xbox would have benefited a lot if Starfield was released on all platforms day one (and if it was a better game).

Well more of it to happen I will just buy PS5 Pro for GTA6. though I am more likely to continue playing Forza Horizon waiting for PC port :messenger_tears_of_joy: Especially if PS5 Pro won't be able to run it at 60 fps.

Last edited:
If Microsoft's plans are to become more dominant in gaming, how will they achieve that with so many studios and releasing games only on Xbox and PC, as physical platforms?

MS will need to invest billions in the production of the games in all the studios they have now - and its a lot. AAA is not cheap at all lol. Think about that.

Nydius

Because Microsoft's goal is to make money and they'll make more money with GaaS microtransactions if the game is available in all the places where people play games rather than their increasingly limited console audience and PC?

Seems pretty common sense to me.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member

I'm still a firm believer that MS will rush to become 3rd partry sooner rather than later. 2023 Xbox numbers were pathetic if we consider prices, 2 SKUs and constant promotions along with Starfield. Gamepass is also in standstill it seems.

After spending almost 90 billions it's downright stupid to ignore free money on PS and Switch.

Bond007

Wish they would just go third party.
With regards to Sea of Thieves- the idea was awesome, I anticipated it- ultimately it was disappointing and couldn't even remotely take me away from Destiny at the time.

//DEVIL//

This makes more logic than hi fi rush. At this is a MMO game . The more consoles the better.

With that being said every insider wanna be is talking from his ass at this point.

The best ocean simulation in gaming hands down, as well as sitting in the top 10 for HDR in my book.

The sailing physics are outstanding.

My biggest gripe is being able to shoot other people out of cannons onto another persons ship. I think it's cheap and should be accomplished the old fashioned way, by ramming two ships together.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wouldn't surprise me if Phil was saying to Satya....

"OK, look. We have starfield forza and gamepass in 2023. Let me show you how well xbox can perform and if we don't start turning this around, we will start the plan to go third party"

2023 happened.

1St of Jan 2024.

"Phil, it's pappa Satya....we need to talk...."

Charlie Day Ok GIF

Mr Moose

Wouldn't surprise me if Phil was saying to Satya....

"OK, look. We have starfield forza and gamepass in 2023. Let me show you how well xbox can perform and if we don't start turning this around, we will start the plan to go third party"

2023 happened.

1St of Jan 2024.

"Phil, it's pappa Satya....we need to talk...."

Charlie Day Ok GIF
If it was up to me I would love to get rid of the entire exclusives on consoles, but that’s not for me to define especially as a low share player in the console market. The dominant player there [Sony] has defined market competition using exclusives, so that’s the world we live in. I have no love for that world.

Nydius

I would give Sea of Thieves a try on Playstation. Is PvP optional or shoved in everywhere?
They just added a "safer seas" option where you (and friends you invite) are the only people on the server so you can avoid PVP if you wish. The downside is you limit your progression and rewards but you can still experience almost all the game has to offer, you just can't get higher tier stuff like Pirate Legend.

Iced Arcade

Would make sense with these companies putting Gaas on multiplatforms.

Then again this is Grubb so could just be his usual throw shit at the wall to see what sticks

Last edited:

Luipadre

Had all the potential for a super chill laidback experience but the forced PvP makes this game overwhelmingly shit to play solo.

Mindboggling design choices with this game.

It has a pve only server option now i think

Top Bottom