• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pentiment coming to Nintendo Switch, PS4 & PS5 on February 22

Update: It's coming to Switch as well as PS5 and PS4 on Feb 22.
  • Pentiment from Obsidian Entertainment, a truly unique, critically acclaimed, and award-winning narrative adventure game with a striking visual style inspired by history itself will be coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch on February 22.

gQtffV2.jpeg

Pentiment will be released for Nintendo Switch on February 22, 2024. This announcement from the Nintendo Direct show in February 2024 wasn’t a massive surprise, since Microsoft already revealed that four of its exclusives would be coming to Switch and PS5 soon – Pentiment previously was identified as a likely candidate for this by a leak alongside Hi-Fi Rush.
Developed by Obsidian Entertainment, a Xbox first-party studio since November 2018, the title came out in November 2022 for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S. Pentiment is set in 16th century Bavaria and has players take over the role of an illustrator called Andreas Maler, who gets embroiled in a series of murder mysteries he needs to solve. Players can define Maler’s past experiences throughout their playthrough, giving them different options to solve the cases.
Pentiment was made by a small team of 13 people at Obsidian and features a striking art style based on medieval manuscripts, prints, and woodcuts. Josh Sawyer, the title’s director, wanted to make a game like Pentiment since the ‘90s due to his passion for history, having studied the Holy Roman Empire, where the game takes place, at university.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
What about PS5? Are they (Xbox) gonna release games on switch first, then PS5??

That’s so stupid if you ask me.

You either release your games on all platforms at once or keep them to your ecosystem.
And this is why they took 2 weeks talking about their plans. They want to put their gamed on others platforms, but don't want to make that too obvious. So putting their games on a state of play/nintendo direct allow them to have some info but not harming their brand too much. Soon people will be accoustumed to it like they put all games on PC.

skyfinch

The problem with Ps5 is that it has too much power. Probably why GTA6 is launching in 2025. They need to find a way to downgrade it so it looks like the lesser Series X version.

If you like visual adventures, please play this.
It’s a brilliant, clever game full of heart.
Portability fixes its only major flaw.
I know this saying is oversued, but Pentiment does look like the perfect game for the Switch, especially given the portability nature of it and more so on the OLED model.

That said, I would love a physical release for the Switch... so hopefully someone like fangamer or iam8bit will partner with Obsidian to make it happen.

Last edited:

tommib

I would prefer this on PS5 for trophies but playing on the switch oled is kind of perfect for this.

Roberts

One of the best gaming experiences of 2022. And definitely one of the better told stories in games ever. Doesn’t try to ape Hollywood (but Name of the Rose is a huge influence and Sawyer never hides it) and not an interactive book either as your decisions will greatly impact relationships with people around you. As long as the text is easily readable on Switch.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I know this saying is oversued, but Pentiment does look like the perfect game for the Switch, especially given the portability nature of it and more so on the OLED model.

That said, I would love a physical release for the Switch... so hopefully someone like fangamer or iam8bit will partner with Obsidian to make it happen.

They 100% NEED a physical release for this game. Looks like a good game to play on the PS Portal too.

Zheph

Really enjoyed that game

(guys its a nintendo event ofc they won't announce PS stuff)

Last edited:

Jaybe

I hated Pentiment. Deleted it in about 30 minutes or less. The style, animation, and writing were just too off-putting. The best part of game pass was getting to try these things as part of a subscription and binning them quick if they didn’t get my attention.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I guess as it was with Persona and Re:fantzio the info about the imminent PS5 release will be supressed for some hours. So petty.

SirTerry-T

The problem with Ps5 is that it has too much power. Probably why GTA6 is launching in 2025. They need to find a way to downgrade it so it looks like the lesser Series X version.
Nah. I heard from a secret insider, that only I know about, that they are re-writing the script so the blue team will be able to understand it easier. /S

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
I hated Pentiment. Deleted it in about 30 minutes or less. The style, animation, and writing were just too off-putting. The best part of game pass was getting to try these things as part of a subscription and binning them quick if they didn’t get my attention.

It looks like a cheap indie game which could have been done on the Xbox 360, if not the original Xbox. Is this what is getting people hyped nowadays? I don't understand the appeal.

King Dazzar

I love history and the medieval setting for this game. So it should have been brilliant. But ultimately I just found it a tad boring on XSX. I respected it, but just didnt think much of it from a gameplay perspective. Might revisit on PS5, but not a high priority unfortunately.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
So, Grounded and Pentiment are coming to Switch. I guess that means Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush will be going to PS5. I thought H-Fi would go to the Switch. I guess it can't handle that game. Too hard to get decent framerate to make it playable I guess.

Top Bottom