• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wire - New Platforms, New Players: Four Fan-Favorite Xbox Games Coming to Nintendo Switch and Sony Platforms

nial

Gold Member
Still here, not banned, and funny last post
TPDgzwQ.gif
John Mulaney Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Killjoy-NL

Of course, of course, because the numerous times you've bet me that MS would stop making hardware and that no Xbox console would be released never existed.... ironic🙃
Oh, they exist. And I do think they will stop eventually.
But I speculate and theorize all the time, depending on the discussion.

This is also what I've said:
So, another move indicating that MS might indeed quit selling consoles, or at most release their own Ouya.

So, after getting destroyed by PS5 and Switch, they supposedly plan to solve the issues by going 3rd party AND taking both Sony and Nintendo head-on, based on a dead-end sub service?

Sounds like smart business.

Edit:

I'm actually willing to believe they are this dumb.

I'm much more objective and reasonable than I might appear.

Anyway, when everybody plays, we all win, right?

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Microsoft probably don't expect much. These four are niche games and only to ease into it. What Microsoft really want is to get the bigger games like gears, halo, starfield and indiana Jones onto PlayStation. Games they know will perform well.
This.

When Phil Spencer was talking about testing the waters, I think he was talking more about businessdeals made between them and Sony/Nintendo.

No doubt that both Sony and Nintendo are wary of MS' plans and have a lot of demands/requirements for allowing Xbox games on their platforms.

Afterall, it was a business update, not some Xbox Direct aimed at gamers specifically.

Last edited:
They had to start from smaller titles, but there's no going back now....

They are all coming

Yes I know, but Spencer and Xbox choosing to boil the frog slowly so to speak is another dumb move that will backfire with long-term reputational damage (not that he and the Xbox management care at this point.) all so they can sell several hundred more copies of Indianna Jones and whatever else is coming soon on Xbox.

Kikorin

Hi-Fi Rush still have to wait for becoming a success, but Switch 2 will finally give it a platform to shine.

All of them are coming way sooner than I expected and could be the reason they were the only ones announced so far. Another batch of games is probably slated for the second half of the year.
For sure. I fully expect them to release Starfield at the end of the year.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wow, missing Switch with HiFi Rush and Sea of Thieves, that's a drag. The ports would have been harder (and Sea could have been a pain to maintain online over a portable's connection, ) but this was a good markets for these games. Still, landmark moment for Xbox.
Xbox and PS5 have similar architecture. I doubt it’s that hard to get the games running on PS5.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This announcement tells us 3 important things:
  1. The narrative that "Xbox preponed their announcement from Spring because of the leaks" was obviously false. Pentiment is releasing on Switch and PS tomorrow. They were always meant to follow this timeline. I'm more confident than before that those were all controlled, intentional leaks by Microsoft to soften the blow.
  2. All 4 announced games will be released within the next 70 days. There's no way those are the only ports they've planned for this year. Otherwise, they'd have spread them out more.
  3. "And as we shared at Developer_Direct, earlier this year, players can look forward to Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II, Avowed, Indiana Jones and the Great Circle and more on Xbox Series X|S, PC, Xbox Cloud Gaming, and Xbox Game Pass this year." The wording here has no mention of exclusivity, implying all these games can come on other platforms later.

Last edited:

NickFire

The way they presented this news lead me to believe Sea of Thieves would be coming closer to end of year. Happy to see its much sooner than expected as I am very interested. Will pass on other 3.

The quick release cadence says a lot. IMO, getting these 4 out so quickly makes it clear that these are just the convenient excuses for the bigger games to go multiplatform. Whether they maintain a set exclusive period or release everywhere day 1 going forward is not clear. My guess is that for at least this calendar year, any big release (outside of AKB games) will be timed exclusive. They want to open the floodgates, not blow up the whole dam.

It feels obvious now that Starfield will hit PS5 around end of summer IMO. I'm guessing Redfall hits in late Spring / early Summer, although its possible they don't port it as some sort of proof they aren't intending everything.

Finally, one question for anyone who thinks these really are just trial runs before they make decisions on bigger games: Do you really think that it is remotely possible that MS would ever say they did not expand their multiplatform approach because people did not like their first party games already released on PS5?

C2brixx

I think this is a brilliant strategy. "Go buy our games on PS5 if you want, or get an Xbox and play it on Game Pass". This is good shit.
It really is. The incentive for more games to come to PS5/Switch is for those gamers to buy the games in mass. If those gamer like the games coming from Microsoft they might eventually decided to save money and pick up and Series S and Gamepass. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom