• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Verge]Why Microsoft might be considering Xbox exclusives on PlayStation and Nintendo Switch

gokurho

Conclusion
This opportunity means we're going to see Microsoft, and even Sony, explore new ways for their games to be played. Sony has followed Microsoft into the game subscription era, launched multiple PlayStation exclusives on PC, and opened up PS5 games to cloud streaming. It even has big ambitions for cross-platform live-service games, although some of that is being pushed back due to "mixed levels of success." The point is both PlayStation and Xbox are experimenting with how they sell their games and where players experience them.
So would it be surprising to see some Xbox exclusives arrive on PlayStation or Nintendo Switch? Absolutely not. If it actually happens, the devil will be in the details.
Summary by ChatGPT
This article explores Microsoft's potential decision to expand the availability of Xbox exclusive titles to other platforms, impacting user engagement within the gaming ecosystem. By considering a strategy that involves offering exclusive games on PlayStation and Nintendo Switch, Microsoft aims to enhance cross-platform engagement and broaden the accessibility of its games. The article discusses the potential industry implications and examines how this move might influence player engagement and loyalty across different gaming consoles.
Player reactions may vary, with some players appreciating the opportunity to play their favorite games across a broader range of platforms. However, Xbox users might feel that this move diminishes the exclusivity and uniqueness of their platform, potentially leading to dissatisfaction. The availability of exclusive titles on other platforms could influence player platform choices and loyalty, introducing potential changes in the gaming landscape.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The saddest fucking thing I think I've read about the games industry for a long time.

They had a fantastic console with the Series X. To have utterly squandered it so much that they could even be considering putting games out on rival hardware is several shades of pathetic.

Lokaum D+

Well, their consoles aren't selling well, selling Xbox games to many consumers as possible may be their way out.

Del_X

He try to push that Sony will follow Microsoft move.

They're already publishing on PC and if that release window shortens, they're basically there. Their AAA budgets are unsustainable without games going to $90 USD and selling the same quantity. Right now, their budgets have ballooned and they're selling roughly the same quantity generation-to-generation.

kyussman

I keep seeing threads about Microsoft putting their games on PlayStation but none on whether or not PlayStation would actually want Xbox's plethora of middest of mid games clogging up their servers.

Sl9vcZ5.gif

I keep seeing threads about Microsoft putting their games on PlayStation but none on whether or not PlayStation would actually want Xbox's plethora of middest of mid games clogging up their servers.
Why wouldn't they?

There's a ton of legit trash games on PSN. Many of MS's games are insufferably mediocre, but that's lightyears better than the trophy-whore-bait already taking server time.

Heck, now MS owns Bethesda and Activision Blizzard, Sony will want those publisher's games on PS5. They never should have been removed in the first place.

winjer

Gold Member
The saddest fucking thing I think I've read about the games industry for a long time.

They had a fantastic console with the Series X. To have utterly squandered it so much that they could even be considering putting games out on rival hardware is several shades of pathetic.

Truth be told, MS never won a market segment by having a quality product.
It's always by undermining and sabotaging the competition. Or, when they can't win, they try to buy out the competition.

Last edited:

MikeM

I don’t see a problem with it especially games that don’t sell anymore. Bring the MC Collection to PS. They’ve milked it on Xbox and made all the sales they could. Might as well do a port job and get whatever remaining dollars you can get from it. Hell- might even lead to some Xbox console purchases.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If the Verge says so, then it must be true.

Truth be told, MS never won a market segment by having a quality product.
It's always by undermining and sabotaging the competition. Or, when they can't win, they try to buy out the competition.

I will always remain pretty convinced that if they had set a strategy of releasing exclusive games to the Series X from the word go, they would be in a much better position than they are now.

But I guess their attitude and the way they do business gets this kind of outcome.

winjer

Gold Member
I will always remain pretty convinced that if they had set a strategy of releasing exclusive games to the Series X from the word go, they would be in a much better position than they are now.

But I guess their attitude and the way they do business gets this kind of outcome.

My experience with MS after 25 years of using some of their products, is that their hidden motto is "that will do".
It's like they rarely strive for excellence and quality. It's always for "good enough".
If MS didn't have such a stranglehold with Windows and Office, I would rarely use anything from their company.
So my guess is that this culture of "good enough" translates into their console space.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
My experience with MS after 25 years of using some of their products, is that their hidden motto is "that will do".
It's like they rarely strive for excellence and quality. It's always for "good enough".
If MS didn't have such a stranglehold with Windows and Office, I would rarely use anything from their company.
So my guess is that this culture of "good enough" translates into their console space.

That feels about right. Everything they put out reeks of 'that will do'. Everything in that direct from yesterday certainly felt like that to me. No pushing of envelopes. No dazzling new game mechanics or concepts. No pushing graphical boundaries. All very safe and uninspiring. I guess that's what happens when your strategy is based around putting games out on absolutely everything, instead of making them for the best hardware.

Killjoy-NL

I don’t see a problem with it especially games that don’t sell anymore. Bring the MC Collection to PS. They’ve milked it on Xbox and made all the sales they could. Might as well do a port job and get whatever remaining dollars you can get from it. Hell- might even lead to some Xbox console purchases.
Meh, I'd rather have another Killzone.
If I wanted to play Xbox games, I'd have bought an Xbox years ago.

This does makes me wonder if Xbox games on Playstation would actually be really popular.
They'll probably do okay, but I doubt most of the Playstation installbase actually cares about them.

Last edited:
As long as they play catch up being on everything could be a good way to stay relevant, in our heads, and not be ignored further as the lesser option. And later they can start removing titles/ stop that tactic again, and becoming the place you need to be. Their multiplatform stuff might generate more revenue now than exclusives and as long as you don't pull in the crowd on your platform, being the one who dictates the rules, working also on the 30% fees of third party sales your lead brings, you might as well sell out to anyone directly and be kinda third party, maybe just until next gen when a fesh start is possible.
Games quality has to improve either way. Just because some or all games are also on other stores doesn't sell them automatically.

The MS media terminals are preparing the way for a future Xbox third party. In a few weeks we will go from being proud of the exclusives and everything that had been taken away from PS for years with the purchases to saying that they are strengthened by releasing their games in all parts.

Shut0wen

The MS media terminals are preparing the way for a future Xbox third party. In a few weeks we will go from being proud of the exclusives and everything that had been taken away from PS for years with the purchases to saying that they are strengthened by releasing their games in all parts.
As someone who games on xbox i dont think ms going third party isnt all that bad considering they havnt had a good exclusive since halo reach

You are spot on my friend. This is all due to Phil Spencer and his failed vision pushing Gamepass over everything else. He is the one who pushed ’Play our games anywhere’ when he should have been saying ‘If you want to experience our games buy our console’. He destroyed the brand more than Mattrick sadly. This is why they are where they are right now. All because of his ridiculous obsession with gamepass over everything.

jm89

Sony CEO likes cloud and PC too..

Which is nothing new.

Nowhere near what xbox is doing, especially now with the desperation of going as far as releasing games on their biggest competitors paltform.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Yeah, sure. They'll happily take evergreens like "Life of Black Tiger", but will of course pass on stuff like Sea of Thieves and Hi Fi Rush..
Such a pony.

PS store is filled to the brink with shovelware.

twilo99

Which is nothing new.

Nowhere near what xbox is doing, especially now with the desperation of going as far as releasing games on their biggest competitors paltform.

CoD is already on PlayStation and so should be all of their multiplayer and GaaS games.

Top Bottom