• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 249: Ferguson vs. Gaethje

Ferguson or Gaethje?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great stoppage. Hurt seeing a walking concussion.

Gaethje on a different level to Tony. Khabib next level. I still want to see Khabib v Tony if he beats Gaethje, he deserves that match, don't think he'll win, but he did the work.

Night fuckers.

I didn't get bleeped, what the... 😁

highrider

Banned
That was tough to watch. I knew Justin was the superior striker and more powerful puncher, but I didn’t expect to see such a dominating performance. I had this fight edging to Tony but I thought his wrestling would be more of a factor. I think trading with Justin on the feet was a mistake and by the time he realized it he had taken so much punishment that his attacks weren’t there. Mad props to Justin, such a well disciplined fighter now. It’s always a bit sad to see a great fighter loose though, it reminds us that everyone does eventually.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Was this as weird as WWE is without the audience? I think the fans make a world of difference on these things.

RealGassy

Banned
What the fuck.
I predicted Justin to win by chopping Tonys legs (which has suffered surgeries before) with his signature leg kicks.
But not like this.
Gone are his reckless bar-fight brawling style moves, Justin showed up to this fight having evolved into next-level of martial artist.
His deadly hands are still there, but they have been refined.

Holy shit. What a fight.

Last edited:
Knew justin would win. He DISSECTED Tony, what a bout. Lol we will never see Tony v Khabib

Now im wondering what they do here. If Conor is serious about being back do they do a Conor v Tony and whoever wins that gets the Khabib v Justin winner? Could set up a huge fight again of Conor v Khabib if things play put right

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
Wow Gaycheese is way better than I realised

Don't put that evil on my boy!

I can see dana booking Conor vs Gaethje

Conor would get fucked up. Not the kind of fight he would want, IMO

That was a great fight. Props to Justin. I do think it sucks for Tony considering he was preparing for a far different type of battle for so long.

Fantastic fight; but I don't buy the prep argument...if you can't beat a contender, you wouldn't beat the champ, etc.

Just reading up on Gaethje, his background growing up is all wrestling. Yet his fighting style is stand up.

The legacy of the wrestleboxers continues. Rashad Evans and Josh Koschek sent their energy for the genki dama.

Man... Gaethje is my fave fighter ever, how can you not love him?

Fast. As. Fukk.

Congrats to Gaethje. Dude legit went from fighting a guy with one arm in the bush leagues to becoming the interim champ. :messenger_beermugs:

GymWolf

well what can i say:

so happy for justin, it was his best performance by far and whoever think conor or khabib can smoke him with easy is very deluded, the guy is probably the best wrestler khabib ever fought in the ufc and the guy is disciplinated as fuck right now.
him throwing the belt on the ground was the most badass thing ever.

happy for kattar, he is a future champion, best hands in the featherweight division, shitbag stephens can't handle anyone with some technique.

scary ngannou is the wilder of ufc, i want a boxing match between these 2 ASAP, someone is gonna die.

so happy that cruz lost, i can't stant this guy (except when he come out with some wrongly golden comedy lines uring his ufc commentary), henry chance of retirement are the same of me having a 35 cm dick and 4 triangular testicles.

price vs luque was great, i love both fighters, nico's face was some horror shit.

mitchel was a beast, if brett okamoto on twitter was right, him vs gracie could be fire.

best card of the year by far, good luck on choosing fight of the night, just pay half of the fighters an extra bonus.

Last edited:
Cejudo post fight

When asked if “sweetening the pot” could bring him back, he says “Dana knows the number.” “I really do wanna walk away but money talks.”

He ain’t retired. It’s a contract negotiation. I’m guessing he wants something beteeen 3-5 million per fight guaranteed.

says UFC should do a 4 man bracket tournament for the vacant belt, says Petr Yan doesn’t deserve a direct title shot

Last edited:

GymWolf

Cejudo post fight

When asked if “sweetening the pot” could bring him back, he says “Dana knows the number.” “I really do wanna walk away but money talks.”

He ain’t retired. It’s a contract negotiation. I’m guessing he wants something beteeen 3-5 million per fight guaranteed.

says UFC should do a 4 man bracket tournament for the vacant belt, says Petr Yan doesn’t deserve a direct title shot

tenor.gif

Dana says he thinks Tony cutting to 155 twice in a month had an effect on his performance. Says he think the fight coulda been stopped earlier.

Says Khabib tweeted he’s ready for the summer so we could see Justin v Khabib sooner than later

says the next 135 title will be “Petr Yan vs Somebody, we’ll decide the opponent next week.” Maybe Aldo?

Last edited:
At 9:20 of Dana’s scrum he goes off on Steven Espinosa saying UFC docks fighters pay if they say bad things about the company

calls him a “creepy little fucker” “isn’t that creepy little goon a lawyer?” “What fuckin law school did he go to?”

classic Dana

Says the Jacare situation is a home run, proves “the system works.”

Last edited:
Biggest loss of the night is fans losing Tony vs Khabib

Justin vs Khabib is good tho

Just imagine for a second, I’m not saying this is gonna happen, but just IMAGINE that Justin turns around and beats Khabib in the summer. IF that happens, wouldnt he automatically become one of the GOAT 155ers in the span of a few months?

manfestival

Fantastic fight; but I don't buy the prep argument...if you can't beat a contender, you wouldn't beat the champ, etc.
I didn't truly argue for it. Just brought it up to consider. What I do actually think is that Tony got outclassed. Do you argue against that?

if you can't beat a contender, you wouldn't beat the champ, etc.

MMA Math doesn’t work like that tho

Stylistic Matchups vary so wildly fighter to fighter. Ronda destroyed Zingano and Zingano beat Nunes. Nunes destroyed Ronda. That’s not a great example as there were other factors there as well but again, MMA Math is messy

Tony would have been a dangerous submission attack for khabib, would have been fun to see him off his back after Khabib took him down

DKehoe

Stylistic Matchups vary so wildly fighter to fighter. Ronda destroyed Zingano and Zingano beat Nunes. Nunes destroyed Ronda. That’s not a great example as there were other factors there as well but again, MMA Math is messy

Tony would have been a dangerous submission attack for khabib, would have been fun to see him off his back after Khabib took him down

Yeh, I'm still looking forward to Gaethje vs Khabib but Ferguson vs Khabib is still the fight I'd be more interested to see because of the stylistic aspects.

khabib-shirt.0.jpg

Khabib gave his neck to Poirier (a black belt at ju jitsu) to tire him out & then submitted him. Poiriers boxing I'd say is top 5 level in that division & was handled.

Kevin Lee with a staph infection mounted & beat up Tony till he gassed.

Tony didn't elevate his game in response to an elite champ. Justin has, his patience and game has evolved. Dustin beat Justin up, he would've done same with Ferguson.

Ornlu

Banned
I didn't truly argue for it. Just brought it up to consider. What I do actually think is that Tony got outclassed. Do you argue against that?

No, I haven't argued that at all.

Sure, I agree with "styles make fights". Once Conor got past Mendes, I said right there after the fight that he was going to smash Aldo, for example. If he could beat a guy who was great at what he's weak against, then he was going to smash another striker, etc.

I'm just saying I don't particularly care for the "But X guy who lost to Y guy woulda beat the champ, Z" argument that always comes up. If a fighter wants to get the title, he's gotta beat everyone put in front of him, matchups be damned. If someone's scared because of a matchup, they can always take the hit to their reputation and duck the fight, rather than take a potential ass beating.

Arkam

Gaethje looked great and really had Tony's number. Those right left combos were landing on Tony's face while his leg kicks were chopping him down. I scored it all 5 (until the stoppage) for Gaethje. Tony's uppercut at the end of Rd2 looked nice, but one drop doesn't make the round after what he received. I think Gaethje could have ended it in the 3rd when he stunned Tony and his legs went all wobbly, but Gaethje was being super cautious to not get caught. I think Gaethje is going to be huge threat to Khabib. Look forward to seeing what happens. I can see Khabib taking Gaethje down and grinding him down. So Gaethje might be hesitant to throw leg kicks.

Cejudo v Cruz was looking good until that horrible stoppage. Was literally anyone's fight prior with the slight edge to Cruz. Cant believe they stopped a fight for a belt like that. I am sure that ref feels dumb AF when watching the replay.

And that Ngannou KO. Put that homeboy to sleep! Short and sweet.

Was great to have fights to watch again.

Jezbollah

Not having an audience really showed up how powerful some of these strikers are. Good lord, Gaethje...

I love the fact there are a few more cards - but I feel its more important to get zero positive results from any covid tests from anyone involved in last night's event.

if they can prove no one else tested positive as a result of the event, that is huge for sports going forward - it could act as a template for a lot of arena sports in the next couple of months. Here's hoping.

DKehoe

That Cruz stoppage was really bad. The dude was halfway back to his feet

I think it's one where it's not great when you can replay it in slow motion from various angles and not have to make a snap judgement. But, as Rogan said, I think the ref was already stepping in by the point that Cruz started to try and get up and by then had already taken a lot of unprotected hits. Refs have don't have a lot of time to make those calls in the moment. The difference in time between an early stoppage and a nasty late one can be a few seconds. So I get them wanting to err on the side of the fighter's safety.

pixelation

Was this as weird as WWE is without the audience? I think the fans make a world of difference on these things.
Not at all, one event has two guys actually fighting. The other is some coreographed soap opera shit that relies HEAVILY on crowd interaction.

Last edited:

pixelation

Cejudo post fight

Well if that was his last fight in the UFC for real, at least he got to retire in front of all of his fans.

Justin “can’t wait to fight Khabib”

I always read that Justin has an impressive wrestling pedigree, though I honestly can’t remember him ever using it often at all in the cage.

Really doesn’t matter, sooner or later he will get taken down, but if he can get back up and land some shots he has a chance

Yoboman

The Gaethje style of opponent is Conors bread and butter. I think Conor could have a comfortable win

But Gaethje looks like the best chance of beating Khabib.

The Gaethje style of opponent is Conors bread and butter. I think Conor could have a comfortable win

But Gaethje looks like the best chance of beating Khabib.

“ Eddie Alvarez” Conor would most likely take Justin out by the second round. Current Conor, I could see it being a back and forth affair. Justin will land some sledges but Conor has one of the best chins at 155. Justin has a solid chin but, obviously, can be finished, gets rocked pretty often even in wins. Gotta give Justin’s boxing skills credit though, he looked dynamic last night.

Yoboman

“ Eddie Alvarez” Conor would most likely take Justin out by the second round. Current Conor, I could see it being a back and forth affair. Justin will land some sledges but Conor has one of the best chins at 155. Justin has a solid chin but, obviously, can be finished, gets rocked pretty often even in wins. Gotta give Justin’s boxing skills credit though, he looked dynamic last night.
Conor looked pretty slick against Cowboy for what we saw

Would be interesting if he gets to that Alvarez level again

Top Bottom