• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 247: Jones vs. Reyes

Bones or Reyes

• Jones

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • Reyes

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

V2Tommy

JJ has a Mayweather-esque aura about him, and that’s interesting. Although he’s not invincible, I don’t see a way to beat him, either.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
JJ has a Mayweather-esque aura about him, and that’s interesting. Although he’s not invincible, I don’t see a way to beat him, either.
Reyes pretty much did, only thing reyes has to do for a rematch is not gas early on. Jones is no where comparible Mayweather, because while mayweather doesnt dictate the pace of a fight persee he lets his opponents dictate it but at the end of the round mayweather does more damage, Jones didnt dictate any round between 1-3

GymWolf

So in the end the "athlete" got fucked by the lack of stamina in the last 2 round, ah the irony...

You can't be the new champion if you run away in the last 2 round, it doesn't make the best impression on casual shitty judges, even if you won the first 3 rounds.

V2Tommy

You can't be the new champion if you run away in the last 2 round, it doesn't make the best impression on casual shitty judges, even if you won the first 3 rounds.

This is a completely fair viewpoint. Via extrapolation, Jones would've destroyed him in round 6, 7, etc.

GymWolf

This is a completely fair viewpoint. Via extrapolation, Jones would've destroyed him in round 6, 7, etc.
I'm not saying that reyes don't deserve the win if we follow the rules, he won the first 3 rounds.

But how can you be a champion and being happy with your performance when you run from the champion in the last 2 rounds? It doesn'looks or sound right tbh.

Luke Thomas does an hour long dive into UFC 247, asking “Was Dom Reyes robbed?”

(fight talk starts at 3:30)

The TL/DW of this vid is Luke rewatches the fight and says he thinks it’s just objectively clear that Dom won rounds 1, 2, 3 and Jon won 4 and 5.

The main takeaway for me is “the UFC can’t hold title fights in Texas anymore.” Judging in Texas seems to be the worst in the nation.

Last edited:

Romulus

It's crazy to see jones reach advantage, especially when fighting someone basically equal height. Jones had almost two fists length over Reyes. That's insane. Reyes did better than expected.

I've been saying it for awhile. All it takes is top 5 fighter with equal reach and jones will have huge problems, he's struggled with guys that have near 80 inch reach, far short of his own.

Last edited:

mekes

Jones has looked shaky since his failed drug test. Either that or the competition is better. I’d say, being honest, I do think it is both. I’ll never discount the cheater scenario after the story about him hiding underneath the Jackson/Wink octagon when USADA made a surprise visit.

Jones has looked shaky since his failed drug test. Either that or the competition is better. I’d say, being honest, I do think it is both. I’ll never discount the cheater scenario after the story about him hiding underneath the Jackson/Wink octagon when USADA made a surprise visit.

I think you’re right about both

three factors really

Age - yeah he’s only 32 but he’s got a lot of MMA miles on him, even with the suspensions. He’s looked a step slower his last two fights. Conor looked slower against Khabib. Not everyone stays crisp into their 30s as they were at 24

Drugs - yeah, being off the juice has had an effect too

Competition - Santos and Reyes had the handspeed advantage against Jones and it showed. He got tagged up by both guys. Jones just happens to have the best chin ever. Ever. He’s fought the most dangerous guys at 205 for over a decade as eaten everything thrown at him. A lot of that is his defensive maneuvering but he still gets clipped clean and is never phased.

All just my opinion

The safest opponent for Jon next would be Corey Anderson. I don’t see Corey winning that fight anywhere. Scariest fight for Jon would be moving up to HW.

manfestival

Yeah his fights arent as interesting since then. He always apologizes after about how he is not living up to fan expectations and etc.

TheStruggler

I'm not saying that reyes don't deserve the win if we follow the rules, he won the first 3 rounds.

But how can you be a champion and being happy with your performance when you run from the champion in the last 2 rounds? It doesn'looks or sound right tbh.
What about fighters that fight on their heels and prefer not to push forward and let others make the first move like mayweather? Should they be punished for their fight style? Granted Reyes gassed but he won 1-3 rounds thus he won the fight. The whole "octagon control" is a farse to begin with.

GymWolf

What about fighters that fight on their heels and prefer not to push forward and let others make the first move like mayweather? Should they be punished for their fight style? Granted Reyes gassed but he won 1-3 rounds thus he won the fight. The whole "octagon control" is a farse to begin with.
Reyes was not doing what you say, he was just tired as fuck.

You can clearly see reyes real style in the first 2 round, he is an aggressive one, not like floyd.

And i already said that he won the first 3 round, but in the eyes of shitty judges the one who walk you down get some bonus point.

TheStruggler

Reyes was not doing what you say, he was just tired as fuck.

You can clearly see reyes real style in the first 2 round, he is an aggressive one, not like floyd.

And i already said that he won the first 3 round, but in the eyes of shitty judges the one who walk you down get some bonus point.
I already said he gassed in my post but I was pointing out the stupidity of an argument and judging where of a fighter doesnt like to press forward and allows his opponenet to come to them how judging a fight like that would work and be bollocks.

GymWolf

I already said he gassed in my post but I was pointing out the stupidity of an argument and judging where of a fighter doesnt like to press forward and allows his opponenet to come to them how judging a fight like that would work and be bollocks.
oh yeah current scoring system is flawed as fuck.
and it's all over the place...latifi scored far more significant takedown than jones but it wasn't counted in the score, they don't even know what they are doing...

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
5 x 5 minute rounds are bullshit. They should cut them to 2 or 2 1/2 minutes and extend the number to 12.
And the idea that the last 10 seconds should mean anything is dumb too. 10 seconds out of 300? Fuckin ridiculous.

Top Bottom