• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 247: Jones vs. Reyes

Bones or Reyes

• Jones

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • Reyes

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’ve taken my nightly meds and I’m groggy as fuck, and maybe I have some anti-Jon bias, but I feel like that’s another round for Dom. I feel like he’s landing more often and landing harder. What has Jon landed?

am I high?

I feel like it’s 3-0 Dom

I feel like I haven’t seen Jon really do anything

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’ve taken my nightly meds and I’m groggy as fuck, and maybe I have some anti-Jon bias, but I feel like that’s another round for Dom. I feel like he’s landing more often and landing harder. What has Jon landed?

am I high?

I feel like it’s 3-0 Dom

I feel like I haven’t seen Jon really do anything
Round 1 and 3 Dom, round 2 a wash.

Dom seems more tired than Jones though. Jones still looks fresh.

I think it’s 3-1 Dom

I think Jon needs something huge in the 5th. He’s definitely fresher and started grooving at the end of the 4th but maybe too little too late. Dom has made Jon look older and slower, I also feel like Jon spent too much time inactive in the first 3 rounds

as always I have to credit Jon’s absolutely legendary chin

Last edited:
I’ve got it 3-2 Dom

Let’s see what the judges say, either way this is gonna be debated no matter what the result is

Jons greatest weapons are his iron chin and fight IQ and we saw both on display tonight but I don’t think he landed enough to win the first three rounds

MastAndo

Reyes seems to think he has the fight in the bag and played run away at the end there - not sure if that was the best idea, he could very well have needed that last round.

I won’t shit my pants over 3-2 but 4-1 is fucking ridiculous

I mean maybe the third could go Jon’s way, maybe

two were clearly Dom, last two were clearly Jon, one round was tougher to score

Last edited:
I won’t shit my pants over 3-2 but 4-1 is fucking ridiculous

I mean maybe the third could go Jon’s way, maybe

two were clearly Dom, last two were clearly Jon, one round was tougher to score

Reyes outstruck him 26 to 19 and neither got a takedown:

by the rules it's a clear, clear 3 - 2 for Reyes.. i just don't understand it

Last edited:

MastAndo

In a vacuum, Reyes won that fight, but we all know it takes a whole lot to dethrone the champ in any combat sport, especially a champ at Jones's level. I'm not sure how that mindset translates to the judges' actual score cards, but it is what it is - tale as old as time, to the point that it was barely surprising to hear "and still" at the end.

Last edited:

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Champion’s advantage is apparently real. Rubberbanding is for Mario Kart.
Of course it is even the ref for Ruiz and Joshua 1 admitted he gave Joshua more time than needed to recover because he was the champ, the champ always gets a little extra

I'm gonna guess that each Judge gave Jon the second round

That was toughest round to score imo but I gave it to Dom

Having the fight 4-1 is weird tho

Someone gotta show me the 4 rounds Jon won and why

Enjay

Banned
It was a shitshow but Reyes didn't exactly deserve the win anyway for not being able to finish. Jon Jones better become Mayweatheresque if he wants to maximize his earning potential in the sport as it appears people have caught up to him now and sooner or later he'll be knocked off definitively if he doesn't.

TheStruggler

yea that shit was robbery but i think controlling the octagon gives you points or something but jones did run away a few times.
That's the dumbest thing for score I've ever heard of "controlling the octagon" give me a break. What if a fighter prefers to fight their heels and walking back instead of having push froward

That's the dumbest thing for score I've ever heard of "controlling the octagon" give me a break. What if a fighter prefers to fight their heels and walking back instead of having push froward

yea it is what is those judge today were on crack. there gonna do a rematch for sure.

TheStruggler

yea it is what is those judge today were on crack. there gonna do a rematch for sure.
Only thing Reyes needs to do better next fight is pace himself better so when he goes into the fourth round he pushes so there is no doubt about it

Hinedorf

Banned
LOL WHAT A FUCKING CHAMPION - That was far and away the most embarrassing loss of Jones' career, congrats on the well deserved victory. UFC trying to be more like WWE every day no need for legit winners.

LOL WHAT A FUCKING CHAMPION - That was far and away the most embarrassing loss of Jones' career, congrats on the well deserved victory. UFC trying to be more like WWE every day no need for legit winners.

yea i just rewatched the fight, reyes clearly won that fight.

mekes

Do they not judge it round by round?

Very good main event but the outcome leaves a sour taste... Reyes did deserve the win.

Despera

Banned
Couldn't catch the fight and will watch later, but the narrative around the net is that Reyes got robbed and my friends feel pretty much the same.

I really gotta see this

Max_Po

Banned
Do they not judge it round by round?

Very good main event but the outcome leaves a sour taste... Reyes did deserve the win.

At best it was a draw or a split toward Reyes in my opinion. It was not a robbery, but an extremely close fight. I think Jones was loosing 0-3 or 2-1 in the first 3.

I think JJ easily won 4 and 5 by doing "more". His take downs were useless, and Judges could have given him the nod for 4 th and 5th even if he lost first 3..... (again based on moron judges)

Unfortunately the judging was extremely bad, one Judge gave JJ 4 out of 5 rounds which is complete H O R S E-S H I T.

Last edited:
at best it was a draw or a split toward JJ in my opinion. It was not a robbery, but an extremely close fight. I think Jones was loosing 0-3 or 2-1 in the first 3.

Unfortunately the judging was extremely bad, one Judge gave JJ 4 out of 5 rounds which is complete H O R S E-S H I T.

we have official stats you know. it shows reyes clearly won the first 3 rounds

First 3 rounds for Dominic. Even if John was brutalizing last 2 rounds (which he wasnt)...he did not win the fight. Its either a draw (because he didnt BEAT the champ) or John loses. Reyas 3 rounds were way more dominant than Johns 2. And dont get me wrong, I wanted John to win, but this was not it. I dont agree with the decision at all.

Last edited:
Dana had it 3-2 Dom

Really curious what they do with Jon next. After two controversial decisions and looking a step slower in each fight, I’m not sure fighting Stipe at HW is the answer, that could be a bad night for Jon

if I’m DC I’m campaigning hard for a third fight with Jon. Jon is as vulnerable as ever

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Jones has the chemical makeup to go through a lot of rounds that should be pointed out, imaginary scenario, there's not a lot of guys that should attempt Jones, they'll have fresh and rested guys (Cormier, Stipe etc.) and whatever they do with Jones they'll probably have sequels and good cards but no they won't contend with Jones. Assuming Brock Lesnar never comes back we can assume Jon (only 31 years old) is a hall of famer.

It is somewhat hard for me to buy the "hard to win the fight when you ran the last two rounds." Yeah, Jon won the last two rounds, but that's fighting. It is a five round fight. 3 rounds to 2 is a win even if its the first three and you lost the last two.

The last two rounds were Jon's but they were still pretty close, it's not like Jon was just dominating with 10-8s, Reyes landed enough in those rounds to make them competitive.

Just because Jon has the greatest chin of all time and can eat hellacious headkicks doesn't mean those kicks weren't landing. Reyes outstruck Jon handily, and in the first three rounds he was taking it two Jon for the vast majority of those 15 minutes.

But, we saw this coming as soon as the first fight on the prelims had a whacky scorecard we knew judging fuckery was afoot, as referenced back on the first page of this thread when that happened.

I honestly have no idea what you do with Jon next. I think he stays at 205 now. Rematch with Dom? DC Trilogy? Corey Anderson?

Top Bottom