• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 235: Jones vs. Smith

Which fight is your main (& co-main) ?

• Jones v Smith

• Woodley v Usman

• Askren v Lawler

• Garbrandt v Munhoz

• Stephens v Zabit

• Cirkunov v Walker

• Sanchez v Gall

• Saenz v Vera

Results are only viewable after voting.
I feel like this is one of those fights that half the Internet scores for one fighter, half for the other.

Hard to be upset with a 2–1 for either, with scoring criteria being so subjective it’s just “one of those fights.”

Personally I gave it to Zhang. Seems like clear third for Zhang, first two were pretty close.

FUNKY BEN TIME

Time to find out. Lawler is no easy out.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Carton

I’ve got a bad feeling for Askren. The dude is talented, but Lawler will be tough to take down and hits like a truck.

Lewis vs Dos Santos will be a bannnnger

Buh buh B A N G E R

lol nice walkout

Btw after what I said earlier, and after what happened to Cody, I’m putting “We Will Rock You” on same tier as “Rocky Theme” as cursed walkout songs

Last edited:

Carton

“Cool and collected demeanour”, whilst Robbie is clearly full of adrenaline, scowling and breathing heavily

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I definitely thought he was out. Askren must have felt he wasn’t though cause he looked surprised. Damn Askren got smashed in the beginning though

MastAndo

That arm went limp - out or not, can't really blame Dean for that one.

Definitely impressed that Askren survived that absolute mauling to start the fight though.

Carton

Omg, that slam and the subsequent punches were brutal; I was anticipating murder with a dizzy Askren and a pumped Lawler. Two things are for sure: that was a bad stoppage but very understandable, and Askren is a gritty bastard.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
HOW are people saying its a bad call ?? HE CLEARLY went fucking limp and got back to. there is nothing ambiguous about that arm going completely fucking limp

Last edited:
Would have loved to see that fight play out. What an interesting round.

I thought it was over with the slam. I thought Robbie had him finished, dead to rights

A lot of guys would have been done there

Last edited:

Carton

I’ll have to see a replay, but did Lawler give a little thumbs up at some point? I think I saw it after a couple of prompts by Dean and whilst Lawler’s arm was flexed under Askren so possibly out of view. I could’ve imagined it though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good call by Dean. Close call, but Lawler's arm looked weak and limp.

Never heard of Askren before, looks like a lanky flabby guy. But man can he take a punch and keep on ticking.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Would have loved to see that fight play out. What an interesting round.

I thought it was over with the slam. I thought Robbie had him finished, dead to rights
Same really surprised Askren wasn’t out cold there

YayNJ

Banned
Herb Dean looked guilty as fuck (in a regret way) after the fight.

Askern looked 100% shocked when Herb stopped the fight.

I think that says more about the situation than some casuals on the internet.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
i mean you're out of fucking mind if you dont think he wasnt unconscious in that moment and came back to having no idea whats going on and protesting

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How did robbie fuck that up, wow.........
Took the guy for granted.

On paper, he's not a UFC fighter, doesn't have a ripped body like most fighters and he got body slammed and beaten bloody.

The UFC commentators kept saying this Askren guy fights oddly and can do big comebacks wearing guys out, and he did just that.

Lawler should have been more aggressive putting him away. All Askren did was use his wrestling background and constantly tried to do take downs. I don't think he even threw one punch or kick. It worked.

angelic

Banned
Anyone see his studio on embedded? Hilarious. Tyrone going into the booth, coming out, writing more, going back in, rapping more. No quality control, surrounded by yes men, terrible 90s gangster rap. He also thinks he's an actor. What is the matter with the man.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Lawler has never been the smartest fighter. His whole championship career was mostly based off controversial decisions, but he looked good tonight. Askren better be careful next fight cause he came close to being 0-1 in the UFC.

If you watch that clip closely, Robbie’s left arm isn’t moving either, you see it behind Ben’s right thigh just dangling at the end.

Maybe Robbie was just “riding it out” and conserving energy but that didn’t look good. Hard for the ref to determine what’s what there

Top Bottom