• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cowboy

Cowboy or McGregor?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
H33LB1x.jpg

ZQ2wEaH.jpg

Source, other cards & starting times in your area.

First ppv of 2019 is very underwhelming for me. Rooting for cowboy but there mostly for lols. Will vote Cowboy in the poll since Conor couldn't even get a KO or knockdown in his last fight (vs old man in pub).

Maycee i'll watch in the prelims.

I’ve always said Conor at 170 is a terrible idea. I’ve always hated it. I think it’s gonna backfire again like it backfired in Diaz 1

The higher in weight he goes, the less dangerous that left hand is, the less durable his chin is, and the grappling deficits are more likely to be exposed.

I understand this is a move to set up a Masvidal fight but if title contention is still a goal for Conor then he needs to be at 155

Last edited:

Skyr

This whole event almost feels like a gofundme for cowboy. I'm glad he'll at least make a decent payday off the fight I guess.
Nobody earned a payday more than cowboy.
Retirement is probably around the corner for him and I'm glad he will be able to ride off into the sunset with decent money in his pocket.

DKehoe

This whole event almost feels like a gofundme for cowboy. I'm glad he'll at least make a decent payday off the fight I guess.

He's maybe not got the best win loss record but he's someone people care about. Other than Khabib who would you have matched him up against> Dana isn't wasting a McGregor show on someone who isn't a draw.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I think Conor beats him up. But anything can happen in this bout. Especially at 170. He won't have the knock out power that he enjoys at 155

other fights are shit wtf

MaestroMike

Gold Member
McGregors 5'9" cerrone is 6' this weight class is probably more advantageous for Cerrone he doesn't have to cut as much whereas McGregor needs to put on weight I remember watching a video where hes actually underweight like at 160

Last edited:

mekes

I’ve always said Conor at 170 is a terrible idea. I’ve always hated it. I think it’s gonna backfire again like it backfired in Diaz 1

The higher in weight he goes, the less dangerous that left hand is, the less durable his chin is, and the grappling deficits are more likely to be exposed.

I understand this is a move to set up a Masvidal fight but if title contention is still a goal for Conor then he needs to be at 155

Man, my opinion of Conor hasn’t changed much since the Cage Warrior days. He deserves his props because I never thought he would be UFC champion, let alone in 2 weight divisions. But he is not UFC champion material in my opinion. My view on that shoots into the stratosphere if we are talking about a champion who successfully defends a few times.

Great hands, great movement, great spacing, mind blowing belief in himself. Average everything else, including cardio. Nobody could convince me that it’s just unfortunate that he hasn’t defended a title even once. I honestly think he has no weight class anymore. He can’t cut weight to his preferred 145lbs anymore. Kalabeeb at 155, and other killers. Conors future in my opinion is just fighting random opponents at random weight classes, and if he gets a few wins in a row there is a good chance he will get another shot at the 155 champion. Amid concerns that a victory over Cowboy at 170 and Faber at a catch weight gets you a title fight against Tony Ferguson at 155. It sounds silly but I would imagine that is roughly the Conor plan if he can win fights.

I have Conor winning this fight. Solely because Cowboy let me down against Diaz years back, RDA, Gaethje, Ferguson etc. Cowboy could definitely win tho. But I agree completely that 170lbs is not for Conor. Perhaps for the odd fight, but not to have an honest title run.

highrider

Banned
Based on the small amount of media I’ve seen Connor seems in a good place mentally. If he’s focused with a good camp I see him dispatching cowboy early, if not it could be a long night for him. Connor has kind of made a fool of himself in the last few years, but I look at the Alvarez fight and think, man that’s a masterful striker and I miss how entertaining that is to watch lol.

GymWolf

Conor is gonna utterly destroy cowboy in the first 2 round.

Let's face it people, this is only a tune up match for mctapper, nothing more.

Only chance for cerrone is usong his ground game, but conor has a good takedown defense at least for the first 2-3 round i think.

If cerrone wins i'm gonna run naked on the street with a bottle of proper 12...

GymWolf

He's maybe not got the best win loss record but he's someone people care about. Other than Khabib who would you have matched him up against> Dana isn't wasting a McGregor show on someone who isn't a draw.
Gaetjie maybe?? He probably make far more money than a match against cowboy but dana and conor are pussies and they don't wanna risk a loss during his return...

DKehoe

Gaetjie maybe?? He probably make far more money than a match against cowboy but dana and conor are pussies and they don't wanna risk a loss during his return...

Gaetjie is fun and I’d love to see that fight. But he’s not the star Cerrone is.

GymWolf

Gaetjie is fun and I’d love to see that fight. But he’s not the star Cerrone is.
What?

You think that a tune up match against a guy who loss his last 2 match is more important than a competitive match against a guy who win the fight of the night bonus every time he fight and has won his last 2 match against that killer of barbosa and cowboy??

I don't really think so...

Only conor fans are happy for this match because they don't wanna risk a loss against a guy like gaetjie...

DKehoe

What?

You think that a tune up match against a guy who loss his last 2 match is more important than a competitive match against a guy who win the fight of the night bonus every time he fight and has won his last 2 match against that killer of barbosa and cowboy??

I don't really think so...

Only conor fans are happy for this match because they don't wanna risk a loss against a guy like gaetjie...

I think Gaetjie is the more fun fight. I also think Cerrone is the more profitable fight. So that’s why they went with Cerrone.

My point was that I don’t think it’s them just giving Cerrone the fight as some sympathy move for him. He will hype it up better than almost all of the rest of the available fighters and is a bigger name to the casual fan (the audience you want to be hitting for a fight like this) than most too. So Cerrone is being chosen for reasons other than just protecting McGregor.

GymWolf

I think Gaetjie is the more fun fight. I also think Cerrone is the more profitable fight. So that’s why they went with Cerrone.

My point was that I don’t think it’s them just giving Cerrone the fight as some sympathy move for him. He will hype it up better than almost all of the rest of the available fighters and is a bigger name to the casual fan (the audience you want to be hitting for a fight like this) than most too. So Cerrone is being chosen for reasons other than just protecting McGregor.
This is clearly a tune up match for conor, money are not really important on this one, they are giving him an easy match agains a slow starter with a suspicious chin and who will soon retire.
Dana knows that he can make far more money in the next fight with a returning to victory conor...but he has to win first...and cowboy is the ideal opponent for this.

You don't choose a guy who loss his past 2 fights for a money fight...

I'm still convinced that conor vs justin would make more money.

Last edited:

DKehoe

This is clearly a tune up match for conor, money are not really important on this one, they are giving him an easy match agains a slow starter with a suspicious chin and who will soon retire.
Dana knows that he can make far more money in the next fight with a returning to victory conor...but he has to win first...and cowboy is the ideal opponent for this.

You don't choose a guy who loss his past 2 fights for a money fight...

I'm still convinced that conor vs justin would make more money.

What makes you think going with Gaetjie would make more money? The casual fan doesn’t give a fuck about win/loss records. They want to see two big personalities collide. Do you consider Gaetjie the bigger star? Do you think more people know who he is?

GymWolf

What makes you think going with Gaetjie would make more money? The casual fan doesn’t give a fuck about win/loss records. They want to see two big personalities collide. Do you consider Gaetjie the bigger star? Do you think more people know who he is?
Because it's a competitive match against a spectacular guy who won his last 3 match, against a tune up match with an old guy in the way of retirement who loss his last 2 matches...

It's the same thing with jones fights, nobosy cares about matches where the winner is assured.

Are you asking me why fight fans prefer to see an highlight competitive guy instead of an old man who everybody think is gonna lose??

Last edited:

DKehoe

Because it's a competitive match against a spectacular guy who won his last 3 match, against a tune up match with an old guy in the way of retirement who loss his last 2 matches...

It's the same thing with jones fights, nobosy cares about matches where the winner is assured.

Are you asking me why fight fans prefer to see an highlight competitive guy instead of an old man who everybody think is gonna lose??

Yes, I’m saying people care more about fights between stars than they do about competitive matches with the best possible fighters squaring off against each other. “Should” it be that way? No, but that’s how it’s always been. Everyone knew Mayweather was going to beat McGregor, right? And that still did gigantic business. If Mayweather had fought the best possible contender do you really think it would have drawn more money? People cared because it was two guys who are good at talking shit.

Personally I’d prefer to see the Gaetjie fight too. But if I was running that business I know I’d make the Cerrone fight.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yes, I’m saying people care more about fights between stars than they do about competitive matches with the best possible fighters squaring off against each other. “Should” it be that way? No, but that’s how it’s always been. Everyone knew Mayweather was going to beat McGregor, right? And that still did gigantic business. If Mayweather had fought the best possible contender do you really think it would have drawn more money? People cared because it was two guys who are good at talking shit.

Personally I’d prefer to see the Gaetjie fight too. But if I was running that business I know I’d make the Cerrone fight.
But i don't think that justin is a lesser star than cowboy, that's also my point.

All fighting fans know who gaetjie is and what brings to the table, i'm not even an ultra hardcore fan and i still vastly prefer a match against justin because cowboy is the perfect fit for mcgregor and i don't like easy fights.

Last edited:

DKehoe

But i don't think that justin is a lesser star than cowboy, that's also my point.

All fighting fans know who gaetjie is and what brings to the table, i'm not even an ultra hardcore fan and i still vastly prefer a match against justin because cowboy is the perfect fit for mcgregor and i don't like easy fights.

Not that this is a totally scientific way to do it but as an example of the public’s awareness of each, Cerrone currently has 618,000 followers on twitter compared to Gaethje’s 115,000. When Diaz got the McGregor fight there were people with better records than him. But Diaz is a personality people are interested in so he got the shot.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gaetjie is too slow and punch drunk for Connor, IMO. He's get lit up worse than Alvarez.
Gaetjie has killer legs kick, he would drain conor movements in 1-2 round, and he has a good chin, also he is not a slow starter like cowboy and he is a great wrestler.
Also, if he is not to slow to catch and avoid barbosa, he is not too slow for a not in his prime anymore conor...

Last edited:
Only chance for cerrone is usong his ground game, but conor has a good takedown defense at least for the first 2-3 round i think.

Good takedown defense? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Khabib ghot him down in the first 45 seconds of the fight. Over and over and over. Even midget Mendez got him on the ground with ease in the first round and rode him like a pony till the end of it.

Hinedorf

Banned
If Conor shows up in shape with an interest to win, he will. The difference between these 2 is Conor's elite punching power.

If this is a good fight it tells me that Conor is completely washed up.

GymWolf

Good takedown defense? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Khabib ghot him down in the first 45 seconds of the fight. Over and over and over. Even midget Mendez got him on the ground with ease in the first round and rode him like a pony till the end of it.
Khabib did almost nothing in the first round because mcgregor defense was good, he tried to advance position but no mauling, in the second round conor was already gassed, but even with that in mind, it was not a total domination beating like barbosa or johnson, he mauled him for 30 sec in the second round and the finisher in the 4th round, no excessive mauling, great control but not a lot of damage.

Not saying that he has a spectacular takedown defense, but he probably trained a shitload for that in the khabib preparation so i dont think that some half assed takedown attempt can really scares him, at least not in the first 1-3 round.

Also cowboy is too proud (or stupid) to even try a takedown against him unfortunately...

Last edited:
Now that we all know Conor's predictable heel act, he's boring as shit. And he's never going to get over again after he got "I'm not surprised, motherfuckers"-ed by Nate Diaz.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Now that we all know Conor's predictable heel act, he's boring as shit. And he's never going to get over again after he got "I'm not surprised, motherfuckers"-ed by Nate Diaz.

Never going to get over after it? McGregor broke the UFC buyrate record after the Diaz fights and nearly broke the boxing one. I’m not some McGregor superfan, I think he’s kinda fun but ultimately a bit of a tool, but you can’t say he’s not over as a result of losing to Diaz. The evidence points to him being more over afterwards.

V2Tommy

Conor is great and essential to the sport. Passionate fans with open wallets is what makes the world go round, even if there are better fighters out there.

manfestival

Only 2 fights on the card that I care about. I feel like some of these other fights are in there to promote the fighters through an event they feel is "safe" by having Conor as the headliner. Still funny how they make this a headliner for a PPV but they couldnt bother with Mighty Mouse. I sure have a love/hate relationship with the UFC sometimes.

If Conor stays true to form despite being out for so long. He should have this. Joe Rogan pointed out that he was Cowboy fought comfortably at 155 before the increase. Cowboy while successful is smaller than many welters out there. Conor always had great hands and most likely can put cowboy to sleep, especially with his new power. Conor ideally should win within 1-3. Not too confident about all of this since it has been so long since his last MMA match. My other concern is that Cowboy is kind of talking like he is already defeated in some of these interviews I was watching. His mannerism and tone seems like he is trying to be a realist but it comes across as ... different for him. Anyways, my vote is for Conor on this one.

Also I want to see Pettis but I don't care who wins this. Just want to see if Pettis recovers. His infamous "lose till you win" strategy hopefully in full effect.

I honestly have no interest whatsoever in a Floyd rematch (in boxing, anyway, and Floyd is way too smart to accept an MMA match).

Conor can’t possibly be hurting for cash already, can he? Doesn’t his whiskey make money?

Last edited:
Top Bottom