• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 247: Jones vs. Reyes

Bones or Reyes

• Jones

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • Reyes

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dvj9MyE.jpg

DXZpsbj.jpg

Source, other cards & starting times in your area

Soz for late thread, will try and wake up for this/not fall asleep.

I thought the Reyes fight v Cannonier was stopped early. Will vote for the challenger in the obligatory poll, he has power so will always have a chance. If Jones wins then who next?

Bullet should win this, I don't think there's a match for her in the weight class.

Some fun matches littered about, cheers for the reminder & content in the general MMA thread JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered & GymWolf GymWolf

Despera

Banned
Reyes got the speed especially when it comes to counter hits, but Bones got that accuracy and mind game fuckery. Better def as well. I'll vote Bones on this one.

nice Unknown Quantity Unknown Quantity . Great thread as usual

I’m gonna go Jon Jones by decision

Val by Murder

Reyes is dangerous though, if Jon continues to look slower and slower he could get caught. I know he is one of the best defensive strikers of all time and has an all-time chin (look at the murderer’s row he made it through when he was younger, especially) but sooner or later everyone gets caught. Will that be Saturday? Probably not, but let’s see

Last edited:

manfestival

There is no reason to go against Jones. Kinda like anyone that would go against Khabib at this point. Reyes is the one that has something to prove against the number 1 p4p whom is interchangeable at this point with Khabib.
Valentina is gonna win by TKO.
Juan Adams vs Justin Tafa - butwhy.gif . I guess the UFC already feels the top 2 fights on the card will sell it so it is time for exposure. Don't care who wins this but I guess Juan Adams probably has the betting pool in his favor.
Mirsad Bektic vs Dan Ige - Interested to see this match but not too familiar with either fighter.
Derrick Lewis vs Ilir Latifi - I expect Derrick lewis to go.... 3 rounds! Also pull the W in split decision. NAH KO 1st round win for DL

Last edited:
I don't think Reyes has the skill set to dethrone Jones, but I'd love to be wrong.

This is all just my opinion

Strictly talking skill set, you’re right, there’s no area where Reyes is technically more advanced than Jones.

Reyes won’t/can’t win by decision. His path to victory lies strictly through landing a bomb right on the button. Everyone has a button. Jones is the never ever at not getting hit clean on it, but it’s there.

Before every great upset there’s always talk of the challenger wont win. Look at Weidman - Silva, for example.

Everyone loses eventually, if they fight long enough. If Khabib fights 5 more years he will lose eventually (I think he’ll retire after a couple wins, but that’s another topic). Jones will lose eventually unless he retires early. It’s just a question of when/to whom.

I don’t think Reyes is the guy but it wouldn’t be the most shocking upset I’ve seen, at this point in Jones’ career anyway. I think Valentine losing would be a much bigger upset. At 205 you’re dealing with big guys who hit hard. Dom is at least more athletic than most 205ers.

again just my opinion

EDIT

but again, if I’m betting money, my money is on Jones this time. If he wins and fight Stipe next I think that will be the loss people are waiting for. I think Stipe knocks Jones out, at HW.

Last edited:
This is all just my opinion

Strictly talking skill set, you’re right, there’s no area where Reyes is technically more advanced than Jones.

Reyes won’t/can’t win by decision. His path to victory lies strictly through landing a bomb right on the button. Everyone has a button. Jones is the never ever at not getting hit clean on it, but it’s there.

Before every great upset there’s always talk of the challenger wont win. Look at Weidman - Silva, for example.

Everyone loses eventually, if they fight long enough. If Khabib fights 5 more years he will lose eventually (I think he’ll retire after a couple wins, but that’s another topic). Jones will lose eventually unless he retires early. It’s just a question of when/to whom.

I don’t think Reyes is the guy but it wouldn’t be the most shocking upset I’ve seen, at this point in Jones’ career anyway. I think Valentine losing would be a much bigger upset. At 205 you’re dealing with big guys who hit hard. Dom is at least more athletic than most 205ers.

again just my opinion

EDIT

but again, if I’m betting money, my money is on Jones this time. If he wins and fight Stipe next I think that will be the loss people are waiting for. I think Stipe knocks Jones out, at HW.
Yea if Reyes hits that punch he's hit on other fighters with where hes moving back but a straight comes out of nowhere its gonna be interesting to see if it rocks Jones.

mekes

Reyes hasn’t really caught my attention as yet. I feel like I’ve seen this run in the UFC before with fighters like Volkan Oezdemir, Glover Teixeira etc. So I’ll watch the main event expecting a Jones victory.

Surprised to see fighters with records of 5-2 and 3-1 so high up the main card. Am I missing something here?

Interesting match-up. I sincerely thought Jones lost his last fight, and rarely do we get to see him vs a fighter whom he doesn't have a significant size/cokestrength advantage over. Then again, he's allowed to be on PEDs. Hard call, boyos.

Hinedorf

Banned
Jon Jones should be banned from ever competing again. He's a complete embarrassment and so is Dana White for not cutting the cord. For every asshole that wants to defend him because of his "talent" just think about having a wife get into a car accident with a coked up maniac who runs from the scene and gets away free, all because of his talent..... no fuck you and fuck his talent.

This guy is a deal breaker for me with UFC, wont support him in any way

Last edited:
Card is kinda weak overall on paper, but hell, 246 didn't have a strong card on paper and it came out fantastic. Looking forward to seeing Latifi/Lewis fight, that has a lot of potential for some highlight knockouts. Adams/Tafa could be interesting, Adams has decent potential as a HW even though he hasn't been the greatest, looking forward to seeing Tafa do some work, love the Samoan/Poly fighters overall so I have a soft spot for them. I've been a big fan of Reyes for a few years now and I remember distinctly saying to my buddy that I think Reyes and maybe Walker both could give Jones a chance of a loss. I'm hoping Reyes can shock the world, but I don't think he will. Reyes got my vote, but I wouldn't bet the house on it. Hopefully it's a great night of fights.

Last edited:
Ewell and Martinez started scrapping at the end of the round, let’s see if rest of fight continues that pace

edit

good second round, Martinez landed some hard shots but so did Ewell early

Last edited:
Ewell getting a 30-27 score from one of the judges in that split decision win is scary bad.

I don’t hate the decision, but 30-27 is egregious. Third was clearly Martinez. Joe and Dom are stunned

there’s gonna be some judging fuckery tonight

Last edited:
Holy fuck that knockout. Newsom with that power. Great great card. I'd say Martinez got robbed, he won those last 2 rounds. He definitely at the least didn't lose the 3rd so for that judge to score it 30-27 is criminal.

Last edited:
Holy fuck that knockout. Newsom with that power. Great great card. I'd say Martinez got robbed, he won those last 2 rounds. He definitely at the least didn't lose the 3rd so for that judge to score it 30-27 is criminal.

yeah I agree, more I thought about it, Martinez probably got robbed

Gonna be some fucked up scorecards tonight

I'm having trouble seeing how Reyes doesn't get wrecked tonight - puncher's chance, I suppose? Then again, stranger things have happened.

has Jones really “wrecked” someone since 2017 (DC head kick)? I guess he wrecked Gus in the rematch.

I see Jones taking a 49-46 decision, maybe a late round TKO if Dom gasses. If Dom wins it’s gonna be my flash finish of some sort. Power is power

Dom has beaten Cannonier (legit stud), Oz (legit good), OSP (legit pretty good), destroyed Weidman (which is deceiving because Weidman is shot at this point but whatever)

Jones is most likely gonna win but it won’t be as easy as many think IMO

The way people are talking about this matchup reminds me a lot of Silva - Weidman.

Last edited:
Everytime I see Lauren Murphy I just get reminded of when Eddie Alvarez kept calling her by the wrong name on TUF and she freaked out

Last edited:
Top Bottom