• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 235: Jones vs. Smith

Which fight is your main (& co-main) ?

• Jones v Smith

• Woodley v Usman

• Askren v Lawler

• Garbrandt v Munhoz

• Stephens v Zabit

• Cirkunov v Walker

• Sanchez v Gall

• Saenz v Vera

Results are only viewable after voting.

TrainedRage

Banned
I'm getting so hyped for this event. Sadly none of my IRL friends like MMA too much but it will be fun hanging out with y'all again!

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
For me fights are always on at a shitty time in the afternoon when I’ve got stuff to do

mekes

Good ceremonial weigh-ins. Nobody tripped over any wires, everybody looks healthy and ready to go!

See you all tomorrow for Anderson Silva v Anthony Smith :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The whole card is fantastic. Reminds me of the Khabib/McGregor card where I'm actually interested in about 80% of the fights. A night for absolutely awesome possibilities. Wish we could have a few polls on what people are guessing the outcomes would be. Who ya'll got for Askren/Lawler, JJ/Smith, Woodley/Usman, Zabit/Stephens?

I think Askren, Woodley, Zabit, Garbrandt, Chiasson, Walker, Gall take it and i'm PRAYING for Smith to pull out an upset. I lovehate Jon Jones and I want to see someone take a win over him that would be a person I can get behind. I'm gonna call an upset and say Smith pulls out a crazy submission win.

I'm really hoping Johnny Walker comes out and does what he's been doing as we need some excitement in the 205 division and if Smith can't do it, I need something to hope for.

Last edited:
Like earlier, I wouldn’t be shocked if Smith won only because this is a sport and this kind of whacky upset happens in sports. I feel like UFC is due for one. Otherwise I give Jones a 98 percent chance of winning. This smells like a Serra / GSP upset to me

I got Woodley. I think he’s just better everywhere.

I think Stephens might prevail over Zabit. Big step up in competition for Zabit. Tough task

I’m confident Gall beats Diego, unfortunately

I got Walker

I got Askren but I’m starting to lean Robbie, night Change thing

Like earlier, I wouldn’t be shocked if Smith won only because this is a sport and this kind of whacky upset happens in sports. I feel like UFC is due for one. Otherwise I give Jones a 98 percent chance of winning.
I got Askren but I’m starting to lean Robbie, night Change thing

giphy.gif

Though I'd be on the moon if Smith pulled a Serra upset. That'd be the tits.

Askren has do it for the dad bod. We need the Cormier's and Askren's of the world to represent the true power and potential of the dad bod.

Robbie has been in the UFC/MMA forever. I want to say that way back in the day they praised young Robbie as a strong wrestler but then he started knocking dudes out.

Feel like I haven’t seen him defend a strong takedown attack since The Hendricks fights

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I saw Johnny Hendricks doing bare knuckle fighting on YouTube the other day. Why

Robbie has been in the UFC/MMA forever. I want to say that way back in the day they praised young Robbie as a strong wrestler but then he started knocking dudes out.

Feel like I haven’t seen him defend a strong takedown attack since The Hendricks fights
Robbie in his day was the goddamn boogie man and was a monster. Love him to death, but I have a soft spot for Askren and think Lawler had his time, but is kinda like Anderson to me, someone I love, but understand that they are not in their prime anymore and if they want to fight? I will watch and see what they have left with much respect.

damn diego sanchez is on this card. just found out. dude seriously needs to fucking retire

also i want zabit to fucking crush stephens

Last edited:
damn diego sanchez is on this card. just found out. dude seriously needs to fucking retire

also i want zabit to fucking crush stephens
I'm excited for this fight as well. I think Zabeast is technically better than most fighters he'll face, but Stephens has a punchers chance, and I think he has the power to knock most fighters out.

Cheering for Smith/Woodley/Askren/Zabeast/JW & Cody Hart.

Literally first thing I did when I woke up was check twitter to see if Jones killed a hooker at midnight, or anything like that. Sounds like the card is in

FIGHT NIGHT WITH DA BOYZ

Askren going and facing off against Dana was funny at the ceremonial weigh in

I wanna know what he was saying. It will probably be in today’s UFC embedded episode

Added a poll and since its such a stacked bloody event you get to pick your main & co-main.

I've picked my two as they have exciting fighters that I'd like to see more of in the future.

Was the last fight Walker had his first in the UFC? It was my first time seeing him.

AND I WAS WRONG

That was his second fight. First fight he KO'd Khalil Roundtree, who was coming off his brutal KO victory of Saki

So hes comin off two highlight KO victories

My post earlier that he is "couple of years" away from Jones was based on thinking his last fight was his debut. This changes things.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
AND I WAS WRONG

That was his second fight. First fight he KO'd Khalil Roundtree, who was coming off his brutal KO victory of Saki

So hes comin off two highlight KO victories

My post earlier that he is "couple of years" away from Jones was based on thinking his last fight was his debut. This changes things.

Dude, I never saw that ko. wow he has some close range power. That sound :messenger_astonished:

When I read the article about Cro Cop retiring after suffering a stroke recently I also saw that he apparently defeated Roy Nelson last month by decision.

I dunno if that happened while I was in the hospital, but I had no idea that fight took place. Did anyone else catch that Bellator card?

Dude, I never saw that ko. wow he has some close range power. That sound :messenger_astonished:

Yeah that elbow is sick. I am honestly disappointed in myself that I forgot that happened.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
A fighter that has been around for so long like crocop is inevitably going to have some sort of brain damage. Hopefully he can live a reasonably normal life

Joe Rogan:

“Is it just me or is octagon unusually noisy? Lot of clanking and banging around, like they forgot to bolt something down.”

Brock Lesnar gonna pop out from the octagon and challenge Jones confirmed

giphy.gif

Last edited:
If Smith wins (which I wouldn’t be that shocked by, as I said early on) it’d be an awesome historic upset, the only things I wouldn’t like about it are:

A.) I imagine Jones gets immediate rematch and immediate rematches kind of bug me, most of the time. Jones will of course say “I didn’t take him seriously before, now I’m motivated.

B.) when DC and Jones fight again I want it to be them both rising win streaks, both “hot,” biggest buildup possible.

Also, after weigh in Jones was saying “I got my size back!” and I feel like there’s a “gas station dick pill” joke there

Nice KO for Macy

I was hoping she stayed at 145 and helped fill out that division, good matchup with Megan Anderson there, but after that finish she’s not leaving 135 anytime soon

Gall legit looks twice as big as Diego

Edit

Dude, Gall looks sloppy and gassed. He looked gassed after 2 minutes.

Edit

Wow. I’m never picking Gall again. He looked sloppy as hell. Good for Diego

Last edited:
Damn, he got him to repent. Great knee from Diego.

I would describe Gall’s performance as “genuinely weird.” He came out swinging and after 90 seconds you could see him take a “settle down” deep breath and he started backing off. After that he was just super sloppy. Looked slow, loaded up and telegraphed his shots.

There was a point where Diego had no leverage on Gall keeping him down, Gall had an easy escape, he just laid there

That was bad

Last edited:
I like Dom but I would have preferred DC for this card, especially given Jones is fighting

Edit

Wow Perez got cracked but took it well

Edit

I expected a little more from that fight

Last edited:
Top Bottom