• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 249: Ferguson vs. Gaethje

Ferguson or Gaethje?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
fUzLBWh.jpg

It's been a while. We're getting 249 but without THE match. It'll come in 2021, I'm voting for Gaethje to win & think has a great chance (TKO).

The ppv is stacked full of strikers & is a great event for newcomers for that reason & fun for the rest of us.

FIGHT WEEK

VLOG WEEK

I got Tony by TKO in R3. Should be a banger. Don’t ever sleep on Justin Gaethje. Tremendous skill set, good cardio, solid chin, has legit KO power. I just think Tony is better almost everywhere

Cejudo over Cruz. Cruz is one of my favorite fighters ever but at this point in his career, especially after the long layoff, I just can’t see him beating Cejudo. I think Henry is just too much.

Francis over Rozenstruik

Kattar over Stephens (love Jeremy but his best days are over imo)

De Castro over Hardy

Cowboy over Pettis

Werdum over Oleinik

Waterson over Esparza (unless Carla just wrestles for 15 minutes)

Jacare over Hall (interesting fight)

Price over Luque

Last edited:
This might be the best card overall ever put together on paper. Disappointed that Khabib couldn't top it, but I won't complain that Gaethje is getting the fight. It's like wanting a Super Nintendo for Christmas, but your parents getting you a Sega Genesis. Disappointed I didn't get what I wanted, but happy to get something great regardless.

I'll make my bootleg guesses:

Ferguson by Sub: The further that Ferguson can take the fight the better his odds get as long as Gaethje doesn't get into the zone with leg kicks.*AMAZING Fight, with a lot of potential FOTY opportunities.
Cejudo by Points: Love Cruz's style, but I'm not a fan of Cruz in general, I've embraced the CCCringe.
Ngannou by KO
Kattar by Sub
Hardy by KO:
He needs to come out strong, his last 2 fights were trash.
Pettis by KO: Hate to go against Cowboy, but he's on the way out and they've fought before.
Oleinik by Anaconda/Ezekiel Sub: Werdum return to the ring after such a long layoff is gonna be interesting.
Carla Esparza by Sub/Dec: Good on Karate Hottie taking this fight as it's not advantageous for her IMO, but both are incredible fighters and it could go either way.
Uriah Hall by KO: IF he comes in Murder mode, otherwise, Souza by sub. PLEASE come in Murder Mode Hall, it's crazy to watch when he's in the zone.
Vicente Luque by Decision

Last two fights on the early prelims is a toss up, haven't seen much more than maybe single fight from any of the fighters.

I'm so stoked for this card. It really is great fight one after the other. The UNDERCARD is fire. Not sure that I think that Hardy should be on Main Card considering his last 2 fights have been uneventful, would have preferred seeing Walt Harris/Overeem moved up early. Either way, bravo to the matchmakers. Couldn't be happier. Well, maybe a teensy bit happier, but I'm damn satisfied with what's on offer.

Last edited:
This might be the best card overall ever put together on paper. Disappointed that Khabib couldn't top it, but I won't complain that Gaethje is getting the fight. It's like wanting a Super Nintendo for Christmas, but your parents getting you a Sega Genesis. Disappointed I didn't get what I wanted, but happy to get something great regardless.

I'll make my bootleg guesses:

Ferguson by Sub( The further that Ferguson can take the fight the better his odds get as long as Gaethje doesn't get into the zone with leg kicks)*AMAZING Fight, with a lot of potential FOTY opportunities.
Cejudo by Sub( Love Cruz's style, but I'm not a fan of Cruz in general, I've embraced the CCCringe)
Ngannou by KO
Kattar by Sub
Hardy by KO( He needs to come out strong, his last 2 fights were trash.)
Pettis by KO(Hate to go against Cowboy, but he's on the way out and they've fought before)
Oleinik by Anaconda Sub( Werdum return to the ring after such a long layoff is gonna be interesting.)
Carla Esparza by Sub/Dec(Good on Karate Hottie taking this fight as it's not advantageous for her IMO, but both are incredible fighters and it could go either way)
Uriah Hall by KO( IF he comes in Murder mode, otherwise, Souza by sub. PLEASE come in Murder Mode Hall, it's crazy to watch when he's in the zone.)
Vicente Luque by Decision

Last two fights on the early prelims is a toss up, haven't seen much more than maybe single fight from any of the fighters.

I'm so stoked for this card. It really is great fight one after the other. The UNDERCARD is fire. Not sure that I think that Hardy should be on Main Card considering his last 2 fights have been uneventful, would have preferred seeing Walt Harris/Overeem moved up early. Either way, bravo to the matchmakers. Couldn't be happier. Well, maybe a teensy bit happier, but I'm damn satisfied with what's on offer.

I said this before, and I will repeat myself, the biggest bummer about this card isn’t just that Khabib V Tony didn’t happen but if Tony loses, which is very possible, we probably won’t ever see him fight Khabib and that would be a shame. Stylistically it’s just such an interesting matchup that, even though I really like Justin, I want Tony to win just so we get the Khabib fight

Last edited:

GymWolf

such a good match and what an amazing card.

i root for justin but i think tony will win, but if justin catch him with the right punch it's gonna be goodnight for tony, you can't get hit a lot by gaetjie, the guy is a savage.

if cruz fight like the usual he can probably beat cejudo, he never face such an akward style and cruz is far more smarter than dillashaw and moraes.

ngannou over rozenstruik just because he is the better striker in term of technique (not by that much tho)

kattar over stevens, jeremy is usually mediocre against technical striker.

pettis over cerrone but they are both done so it's hard to choose.

jacare by decision against hall

Last edited:

Arkam

Main event is a hard one to call. I mean MMAth says Ferguson.... but damn is Gaethje hard to put away. Gonna have to out point him probably. I will be rooting for Cruz over Cejudo. Cruz is one of the best fighters to never get a his due. IF (big if) can bring home the gold it will be bitter sweet (near) end for his career. Ngannou i see pulling off a come from behind KTFO in last minute of Rd2 just when he starts to look gassed.

I am honestly just happy that there is a MMA card to watch and get excited for. Hope Bellator gets going soon too so we can move that feather weight tournament along.

is gaethje a tipical american last name?
There's no such thing as a typical American last name.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I really hope Tony Ferguson wins this. He has everything to lose and nothing to gain from fighting Gaethje. It would be a damn shame after the body of work that Ferguson has shown since Michael Johnson. Other than maybe Jon Jones, I don't think anyone has fought such high level competition and won so many times and been denied what's rightfully his.

It sucks, because like I am with Cowboy/Pettis, I really like both Ferguson and Gaethje, but Tony is the one that put it all on the line. I hope Tony wins, Gaethje fights McGregor, winner of Ferguson/Khabib fight winner of Gaethje/McGregor.

Sup man ^ I think everyone is excited for this one.

Dom outclassed Henry already. I did laugh when Dom said he had the belt for 10 years, cause I knew what what was coming from Henry.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

Amazing card. Can not fucking wait. Biggest bummer is no party with friends.

Fergusen over Gaethje by TKO Should be a banger definitely would not count Gaethje out

Cejudo over Cruz by TKO Love the style of Cruz and want him to win. He just lacks the power to handle Cejudo

Francis over Rozenstruik by KO The Francis train will keep chuggin

Kattar over Stephens by decision

Hardy over De Castro by TKO

Pettis over Cowboy by submission Two greats. Love both of these guys.

Werdum over Oleinik by submission

Waterson over Esparza by decision Karate Hottie needs to stay on her feet though

Jacare over Hall by Submission

Price over Luque by decision

Mitchell over Rosa by decision

Alvey over Spann by TKO Smiling Sam fighting for his job here. Needs a good show. On paper Spann should easily win this though.

GymWolf

Sucks so bad for Overeem that both highlights of Ngannou and Rozenstruik are both super dragon punches to end the fight on him.

I seriously refresh UFC 249 every few hours on Youtube to see anyone's new analysis. So excited for this weekend.
watch everything with dan hardy on it.

Wonder how many people will watch this? So many are starving to watch live events right now, this could be huge for the UFC.

I could see it selling very well. Even though money is tighter than usual right now, as you said, people are starved for sports. Probably would have been a savvy move of the UFC had lowered the price to like 40 bucks for this event only just as a "lets get back in the swing of things" gesture

GymWolf

Stephens misses weight by 5.5lbs, fat bastard. There might be some leeway, but not that much.

always hated that prick, he always talks big just to get humiliated by anyone with a bit of technical striking, fuck him, kattar is gonna destroy him once again.

do we know if tonight there is a cerimonial weight in or not?

Last edited:
I could see it selling very well. Even though money is tighter than usual right now, as you said, people are starved for sports. Probably would have been a savvy move of the UFC had lowered the price to like 40 bucks for this event only just as a "lets get back in the swing of things" gesture
I've had people that have never come over to my house to ask if I was throwing a party for the fight. Feel kinda bad lying to people, but even though we are behind the curve I still won't have a ton of people over to my house for the fight. There's gonna be a total of 7 people at my house, gonna get some pulled pork cooking in the morning, my Momma is gonna bring over her bad ass fried rice and my 2 buddies are bringing the beer and liquor. Gonna be an awesome day of fights.

Top Bottom