• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 207 Rondo Rousey vs Amanda Nunes |OT| No Love & NO MORE QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

Ronda seems like a gigantic piece of shit so I hope she loses. My biggest fear is she knocks out Nunes in the first and in her post fight interview acts like she had to overcome so much, blah, blah, blah.

I fear the fix is in, which sucks, but let's see what happens.

Dr.Acula

Banned
8iikJxh.png

I don't care how much money she could make the company they shouldn't let her fight if she won't promote.

Christ, I thought they let Conor do whatever he wants, this is some next-level shit.

Chumley

Banned
Ronda seems like a gigantic piece of shit so I hope she loses. My biggest fear is she knocks out Nunes in the first and acts like she had to overcome so much in her post fight interview, blah, blah, blah.

I fear the fix is in, which sucks, but let's see what happens.

If any UFC match was ever going to be fixed it's this one, but it's kind of impossible to do no matter how much Dana wants it. Not to mention hugely dangerous. People like Nate Diaz would say "Yeah Dana offered me a bonus to fight like shit" if it ever happened.

NYR

If any UFC match was ever going to be fixed it's this one, but it's kind of impossible to do no matter how much Dana wants it. Not to mention hugely dangerous. People like Nate Diaz would say "Yeah Dana offered me a bonus to fight like shit" if it ever happened.
I meant more in the context of UFC wanting her to win and have that post fight interview as the spot to re-build her rather than running her mouth and facing difficult questions at a press conference. I don't think the fight is fixed, but I do think everything else is, including the build up and post fight. A lot easier to deal with the "loss" against Holm rift after winning the belt and having it out back on your shoulder. I really believe this is the plan all along since Ronda is so fragile mentally, they want that money shot of her with her belt and then addressing questions and building up her next fight.

She probably will, if we're going by her latest training videos. I can't believe how Ronda has stuck with a shitty coach like Edmund Traverdyan.

Anything can happen in MMA though.

Ronda better take this to the ground or Nunes is going to fucking light her up
:

http://i.imgur.com/xrNJY17.gifv

Ronda's best chance is to take it to the ground but Amanda Nunes is by far the best ground fighter Ronda has ever faced considering she is one of only two female fighters in the UFC with brazilian jiu jitsu black belts the other being Claudia Gadelha.

Afrikan

Ronda's best chance is to take it to the ground but Amanda Nunes is by far the best ground fighter Ronda has ever faced considering she is one of only two female fighters in the UFC with brazilian jiu jitsu black belts the other being Claudia Gadelha.

not sure about that... or at least that it would help against Ronda.

Amanda has been controlled on the ground and "finished" by less talented fighters than Ronda.

But Nunes improved herself and made her to the top to get the belt. I'm so happy for her. :)

Forgive some ignorance on my part here, but why is she coming back to fight Amanda Nunes? What happened to Holmes? Doesn't the ex champ usually have the option of a rematch to win their title back?

Braag

Ronda's gonna get destroyed and Cody is gonna shadow box for 25 min. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Maoyama

Banned
I've been thinking about this fight for a while, and to me Nunes seems like the perfect matchup for Rousey. Jack slack perfectly encapsulates why

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/rousey-versus-nunes-a-strange-kind-of-mirror

This division seems to be shaping up like the sword-spear-axe or rock-paper-scissor division. I mean, that of the top fighters, their styles matchup in a way that they are all killers for each other but can be dismantled by the right opponent. I will steal from Jack's gifs, but just look at what Ronda does to opponents when they stand and bang

CloudyGreatAmericanalligator.gif

She stands her ground, fires back and waits for the clinch. Once the clinch start she sends her opponent for a ride, usually straight to kesa-gatame and starts working her juji-gatame game. This is how Amanda clinched in her fight against Valentina

JoyousFeminineAlbacoretuna.gif

and Cat

WeepyComfortableDorking.gif

So, yeah, of course Amanda can win this fight. But she brings none of the fight techniques that proved so effective by Holly Holm. And worse, I see her style perfectly fall into exactly what Ronda wants her opponents to do.

phaonaut

Forgive some ignorance on my part here, but why is she coming back to fight Amanda Nunes? What happened to Holmes? Doesn't the ex champ usually have the option of a rematch to win their title back?

Holly is on a two loss streak in that division, but she is getting a title shot at 208 for the new 145 division.

@maoyama

How is the second gif positive for nunes? Also the gif of the cat fight is one of the few wrestling exchanges she won in that fight. Cat rag dolled her and finished her.

Cat%2BZingano%2BThrows%2BAmanda%2BNunes%2BUFC%2B178.gif

Cat%2BZingano%2BFinishes%2BAmanda%2BNunes%2BUFC%2B178.gif

Maoyama

Banned
Holly is on a two loss streak in that division, but she is getting a title shot at 208 for the new 145 division.

@maoyama

How is the second gif positive for nunes? Also the gif of the cat fight is one of the few wrestling exchanges she won in that fight. Cat rag dolled her and finished her.

Its absolutely not in any way, thats my point. She has a really bad clinch game that she goes to often and just muscles her way through like she did against Cat. In the first gif it shows how easily she was reversed by someone like Valentina. If she even catches a whiff of the clinch against Ronda she's getting thrown on her head immediatly.

Also, looking at people calling her ground game scary: I dont really see it. One thing is being a black belt in BJJ, but another thing is using it in MMA. Look at Vitor, he is arguably a very respectable BB, but he has gone so far from his game in MMA that its just a shell of what it was. Amanda might have a tremendous Gi/No-gi game but she has been smashed in the ground by lesser grapples than Ronda

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didnt even know those tweigh ins were fake lol.

it-s-still-real-to-me-dammit-o.gif

3N16MA

Banned
I won't be surprised if Nunes takes this (I doubt many here would be). Ronda needs one of her sub 1 minute finishes if she hopes to win. The longer the fight goes on the more Nunes will pick her apart with strikes.

Cruz probably picks apart another TAM member.

Maoyama

Banned
I didnt even know those tweigh ins were fake lol.

Very recent change, they had to change it for UFC 199 due to new rules by the CSAC and then the UFC just decided to implement this new weigh in schedule.

I won't be surprised if Nunes takes this (I doubt many here would be). Ronda needs one of her sub 1 minute finishes if she hopes to win. The longer the fight goes on the more Nunes will pick her apart with strikes.

The longer this fight goes the more Nunes will gass. She is absolutely known to gas out and break during long fights.

3N16MA

Banned
Very recent change, they had to change it for UFC 199 due to new rules by the CSAC and then the UFC just decided to implement this new weigh in schedule.

The longer this fight goes the more Nunes will gass. She is absolutely known to gas out and break during long fights.

That is true but if Ronda is getting lit up for a round or two she may be a mess. She looked lost after absorbing Holly's shots in rd 1.

Ronda and Nunes is interesting. Rousey can win the fight, especially if she can turn this into a 3 or 4 round fight. Nunes is a fast starter, and a terrible gasser traditionally. Though with her continued training at ATT her cardio may have shown improvements.

Nunes is a monster in the first RD though, and we have no idea what Ronda's head space is like going into this. Right now its a pick em fight for me and I don't feel confident enough to make a call for either.

In the co-main the smart money is on Cruz all day. That said I can't shake this feeling that No Love gets it done. For as good as Cruz's movement is, he actually leaves his head open pretty frequently and does get caught for it from time to time. Thing is he has a great chin, is super intelligent, and usually can move away quickly even if you tag him. Still I think I'm gonna pick the upset here. Something about Cody's accuracy and hand speed are just the X-Factor for me here. Won't be surprised at all if Cruz dominates but I'm going to take the riskier pick on this one.

i just hope Nunes doesn't turn out to be a super can that gets defeated by a can.
Best case: Ronda loses and we'll never hear from her ever again or she gets humbled into being decent person.

Ronda's going back to fighting after that BEATING?
She's nuts. Even if she doesn't get pounded and finds herself a win, is the glory really worth eating apple sauce for the rest of your life?

Ronda's going back to fighting after that BEATING?
She's nuts. Even if she doesn't get pounded and finds herself a win, is the glory really worth eating apple sauce for the rest of your life?
I don't quite understand this logic. Plenty of fighters have had much worse KOs. Why single Ronda out here?

Silva is just as cocky and had a larger fall from grace (so far) and no one has anything to say about him fighting well past his peak

N° 2048

i just hope Nunes doesn't turn out to be a super can that gets defeated by a can.
Best case: Ronda loses and we'll never hear from her ever again or she gets humbled into being decent person.

ehhh that division isn't exactly stacked but Ronda is no can.

I don't quite understand this logic. Plenty of fighters have had much worse KOs. Why single Ronda out here?

Probably a very casual fan. That post makes NO sense.

Like GSP got knocked out by Serra and came back to destroy and is one of the GOAT.

Levito

Banned
Like GSP got knocked out by Serra and came back to destroy and is one of the GOAT.

I still think that is the biggest upset in MMA history. Mainly because I think GSP was actually a much more skilled fighter than Serra, he just got hit by a big punch an couldn't recover.

Ronda for example got outclassed in every sense. Though I don't think Nunes can't replicate what Holly did. She has style is a lot more head on, she comes forward, Ronda could toss her and submit her for sure. But I could see Nunes wrecking her up agaisnt the fence if Ronda can't toss her.

Well one thing is for sure. If Ronda loses she can't blame anything on her physical conditioning. She is in incredible shape, probably the most impressive physically I've ever seen her

ronda-rousey.jpg

C0t6cKDXEAUKj-r.jpg:large

She is much leaner, with a higher amount of muscle than compared to the Holm fight. At the very least she is clearly taking this fight seriously.

Chumley

Banned
Well one thing is for sure. If Ronda loses she can't blame anything on her physical conditioning. She is in incredible shape, probably the most impressive physically I've ever seen her

ronda-rousey.jpg

She is much leaner, with a higher amount of muscle than compared to the Holm fight. At the very least she is clearly taking this fight seriously.

Yeah she looks amazing. That combined with what seems to be a laser focus on training with no media shit makes me think she's going to win this.

Garbrant and team alpha male are so god damn cringey

Chesskid1

Banned
at first i thought the no media thing was b/c she doesn't want to face everyone, but now i think it's more to focus 100% on fighting

i remember tj diillashaw was pretty bad at promoting his fight with dominick, but cody is on a new level, no charisma whatsoever.

Eanan

Be interesting to see how Rousey reacts after she gets a few hard jabs to the face from Nunes, which can be sure to happen.

But i have this fight 50/50.

Just too many variables and who knows about Rhonda.

ronda-rousey.jpg

Cankles like a motherfucker

domstah

I hope it's not like Meisha Tate's last fight where you can see her will to fight get beaten out of her after she takes a couple hard shots to the face.

Personally I've always liked Ronda, in the same way I like Conor, their fights are always so polarizing - and that leads to a good crowd.

I also like the idea that the belt can't be defended at this point because the women's division at this weight is so competitive.

I don't think her physical conditioning has ever been a question. It's her striking that is suspect.

I think Ronda wins though. Nunes won't keep her distance and Ronda will do her thing. I predict a return of the 1st round arm bar.

I don't think her physical conditioning has ever been a question. It's her striking that is suspect.

I think Ronda wins though. Nunes won't keep her distance and Ronda will do her thing. I predict a return of the 1st round arm bar.

Her physicality never has been. Still this is the best shape she's ever been in. Bodes well for whether she was taking this fight seriously or not in camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom