• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 214 |OT| Jones vs Cormier 2 - Dad Bod vs Coke Bod ft.

FUME5

$

Damn

Syder

Damn. This thread turned on DC real fast.

Having not gotten into MMA until fairly recently, and not really knowing a lot.

What I have seen of DC, 3/4 fights, he is fucking garbage. Like, the worst. He's so fucking boring.
You don't know what you're talking about.

Really enjoyed the event bar the Woodley fight.

A 40 year old Brock would still fuck Jones up easily imo. He better be careful what he wishes for ;).

Easily? Brock beating Bones would be an upset. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that Brock could pull off the upset, but I don't think he's really done anything that suggests he can handle Bones. His best bet is really if he's able to take him down and then GnP him into a KO or submission. And one critical thing that Brock has shown in his fights is an inability to take kicks and knees. Those seem to wreck him. And even before last night it was well known that Bones is pretty lethal in that area.

Really the single most dangerous thing that Bones would have to watch out for is Brock's inevitable bull rush whenever he gets tagged.

oneils

Rogan is against interviewing KO'd fighters, he even said it during the interview.

Rogan was being told by 'someone' to force the interview.

Are you sure about that? Later as the show was winding down, rogan told Cruz that normally he's against it but he felt like he needed to give Cormier (The former champ) some time to speak. He seemed a bit conflicted about it. I think he had doubts but made the decision in the moment.

Syder

Are you sure about that? Later as the show was winding down, rogan told Cruz that normally he's against it but he felt like he needed to give Cormier (The former champ) some time to speak. He seemed a bit conflicted about it. I think he had doubts but made the decision in the moment.
I think he felt he would've been scolded for breaking the procedure if he hadn't.

He's stated on his podcast many times he doesn't think KO'd fighters should be interviewed. Presumably he's raised his concern before and it hasn't changed. Why didn't they change things after that cringeworthy Overeem interview where he said he felt a tap and Rogan went over the footage?

KO'd or not sticking the mic in the face of a fighter that's bawling his eyes out after a devastating loss is car crash TV.

I think he felt he would've been scolded for breaking the procedure if he hadn't.

He's stated on his podcast many times he doesn't think KO'd fighters should be interviewed. Presumably he's raised his concern before and it hasn't changed. Why didn't they change things after that cringeworthy Overeem interview where he said he felt a tap and Rogan went over the footage?

KO'd or not sticking the mic in the face of a fighter that's bawling his eyes out after a devastating loss is car crash TV.

DC crying immediately made me think of Kuechly last season when he got a concussion

kuechlyztslg.gif

Concussions are no fucking joke.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Whoa, I just saw that Dana is gonna bring the Bisping/GSP fight back and not give Woodley a shot at GSP? Wtf. Dana is such a bitch sometimes.

St Pierre made a CAREER off of boring fights going to decision so he can win on points. Then he's gonna turn and punish Ty Woodley for it? (The report I read said it seemed Dana said this after someone asked about the Woodley fight.)

Jezbollah

They really shouldn't have interviewed DC after. Guy was in no state to talk, KO or not. Hats off to Bones, that was clinical.

I think Dana's problem with Woodley is that he knows he's spectacular when he wants to be, but he fought Maia not to win, but to not lose. I think a lot of fighters with a solid wrestling base do that when faced with a superior ground fighter.

Last night just served to fuck up the welterweight and middleweight divisions more..

Maia done in the UFC? Get the fuck out of here with that shit. He's probably in the top 5 of ground fighters ever in MMA.

AJLma

Cormier was disappointed because he just learned he can't trust the people around him to make sure the fight ends safely. Props to Cormier and Jones for a great fight, but damn the UFC is a trash organization.

BadAss2961

lol at Dana salty over Woodley's performance. He's being as dumb as some of the fans.

Fuck Bisping/GSP. Whittaker's in line to take the belt, and GSP's unlikely to even stay at Middleweight if he were to win.

Cormier was disappointed because he just learned he can't trust the people around him to make sure the fight ends safely. Props to Cormier and Jones for a great fight, but damn the UFC is a trash organization.
The stoppage was way too late but the UFC don't employ the refs, the commission does, you'll see all the same refs at smaller shows all over as long as its sanctioned by the commission of that city.

Some refs definitely get caught up in the main event hype train, the fear of calling a fight too early would probably haunt them for years, but that then leads to things like this :/

Woodley fought two dudes back to back that are the best at what they do and each made 7 opponents pay for rushing with reckless abandonment.

The first Wonderboy fight got FOTN on 205, fair play, but the 209 rematch and 214 fight can't be blamed solely on Woodley. He took each opponent very seriously and executed his gameplan effectively and near enough perfectly against Maia.

And let's not forget that Woodley is 5'9 and both of his opponents were 6 foot+ so that power of his, while dangerous, needs significant set up.

It's an unfortunate set of timing, but put Woodley against a freestyle fighter like Robbie and you got fireworks.

v1oz

DC can fight at heavyweight. In fact he was doing very well at HW and beating everyone. The only reason he dropped to light heavyweight was to avoid fighting his training partner Velasquez. But since Cain is out with injury he can go back up now.

DC struggled with the weight cut to light heavy. Heavyweight is much better fit for him. There is no shame in losing to Jones. Go fight another division. Miocic is beatable, he's just one of those one trick ponys that people haven't guilty yet.

DC can fight at heavyweight. In fact he was doing very well at HW and beating everyone. The only reason he dropped to light heavyweight was to avoid fighting his training partner Velasquez. But since Cain is out with injury he can go back up now.

DC struggled with the weight cut to light heavy. Heavyweight is much better fit for him. There is no shame in losing to Jones. Go fight another division. Miocic is beatable, he's just one of those one trick ponys that people haven't guilty yet.

The only danger of him going back to HW is how well his chin will hold up after this loss. Any heavy can catch you and shut the lights out, what Stipe did to Werdum and then the Overeem back and fourth bit can happen to anyone; and last night DC was eating some seemingly big shots and then got brutally finished. He definitely needs to take at least the rest of the year off and then some.

Whoa, I just saw that Dana is gonna bring the Bisping/GSP fight back and not give Woodley a shot at GSP? Wtf. Dana is such a bitch sometimes.

St Pierre made a CAREER off of boring fights going to decision so he can win on points. Then he's gonna turn and punish Ty Woodley for it? (The report I read said it seemed Dana said this after someone asked about the Woodley fight.)

Pretty sure GSP wants the Bisping fight instead.

The only danger of him going back to HW is how well his chin will hold up after this loss. Any heavy can catch you and shut the lights out, what Stipe did to Werdum and then the Overeem back and fourth bit can happen to anyone; and last night DC was eating some seemingly big shots and then got brutally finished. He definitely needs to take at least the rest of the year off and then some.

He leaned into a head kick and caught full shin to the side of his noggin and still had to be pursued, taken to the mat and punched repeatedly to be finished. His chin is fine.

I think a move to HW makes the most sense for him at this stage in his career. He's 38. He needs to not be cutting weight anymore. The problem for him is that Cain still genuinely believes he's going to be champ again, and I also could see Jon moving up to HW permanently at some point.

Pretty sure GSP wants the Bisping fight instead.

Yep- he'd be crazy not to. Bisping is a much bigger draw and will do a much better job of selling the fight.

DC gonna retire, I think.

I really don't think he should. Obviously, it all comes down to how he feels inside and whether he's got the drive to keep pushing forward and competing, but he shouldn't retire just because he couldn't beat Jon Jones in two tries. Jon is the worst possible match up for Daniel in the entire sport.

If DC returns to HW, he's instantly top 3 in that division. He'd have a realistic crack at becoming a two-division champ. Not a lot of people on that list. I know the Cain thing is an obstacle, but Cain needs to come to terms with the fact that he just can't get healthy enough to put a run together. If he was going to do it, he'd have done it by now.

He leaned into a head kick and caught full shin to the side of his noggin and still had to be pursued, taken to the mat and punched repeatedly to be finished. His chin is fine.

Yeah it took a good amount of hits to finish him, but its not a guarantee that after any fight, especially a brutal KO loss, that your chin is going to come back just as good as it was before haha. Doesn't work that way! Look at Anderson, after Weidman KO's him, he dropped him in the clinch in the second fight, Anderson losing in a clinch was completely unheard of before then haha, just go look at his fight vs Jorge Rivera. Heck even Bisping dropped him :p

I'm not saying Cormiers chin is finished after 1 KO loss, but until we see him fight again we have no way of knowing how his body will react to more damage. And after a loss like that + his age, there are a few big unknowns to consider imo.

ApharmdX

Banned
Decent night of fights. Cyborg is going to be 145 champ for the forseeable future. She's the most dominant fighter today. Props on Evinger though, she rolled with the punches and was a tough out.

Lawler/Cerrone was an awesome fight.

I don't like Woodley as champ. He's a good athlete with good power, but kind of a throwback to the sprawl-and-brawl wrestler, and EXTREMELY inactive.

I'm sad that DC lost. Jones is a piece of shit. That said, I think Jones is the best grappler of all time in MMA.

Having not gotten into MMA until fairly recently, and not really knowing a lot.

What I have seen of DC, 3/4 fights, he is fucking garbage. Like, the worst. He's so fucking boring.

DC is one of the best wrestlers in MMA, ever.

Yeah it took a good amount of hits to finish him, but its not a guarantee that after any fight, especially a brutal KO loss, that your chin is going to come back just as good as it was before haha. Doesn't work that way! Look at Anderson, after Weidman KO's him, he dropped him in the clinch in the second fight, Anderson losing in a clinch was completely unheard of before then haha, just go look at his fight vs Jorge Rivera. Heck even Bisping dropped him :p

I know what you're saying, but I've never really bought into the idea of someone's chin "going out" as they hit a magical point in their career. I've always felt that it has more to do with reflexes slowing, simply resulting in getting hit flush more often. In Anderson's case- he had become pretty hittable in his recent fights leading up to the first Weidman fight. Even Chael dropped him a couple times in their first bout.

Dana talking about Bones vs. Lesnar

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20197866

Says that Lesnar still has to come back and sit out six months, so Bones will fight at least one more time before the Lesnar fight would happen. Gustafsson rematch?

Makes the most sense, IMO. I really think Jon should consider moving the HW permanently after another fight or two at LHW. Otherwise, he's going to spend the next 3-4 years beating up Gus, Glover and Manuwa over and over again. I really don't want to be put through that.

pixelation

I honestly don't know how people are saying "GOAT" after that performance though. Didn't look bad but it was such a physical mismatch and he was getting consistently tagged without finding any sense of timing. It's a far cry from the dominance we've seen from Anderson, GSP, or even DJ.

You again with that whole thing?, do you not know how fights are arranged?... weight classes?, they are based on (wait for it and sit down) weight!!!

You again with that whole thing?, do you not know how fights are arranged?... weight classes?, they are based on (wait for it and sit down) weight!!!

Of course they are, but being able to kick someone in the knees from the next zip code over is still a physical advantage, regardless of what the contestants weigh.

Not saying I totally agree with the post you replied to. I thought Jon looked great considering who he was in there with.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

It's such a great, educated point though. How could DC ever hope to compete with somebody the size of Jon Jones who knows how to keep distance striking?

Qy8KDl5.gif

Let alone an accomplished grappler. Clearly Jones is winning because of size and nothing else.

temp-320-53005636.gif

Hopefully it's the Gus rematch, then the Lesnar side-show.
Would be nice. I don't think people here are giving Gus enough credit, he's improved since the first classic fight, which was very close and the only time we've seen a truly battered Bones. About as big as him too.

Jones would be the rightful favorite, but until Volkan takes out a good wrestler or Rumble comes back, Gus is the only real threat in the division.

Jones size is just as much as a factor as his skill set. We've seen it a few times how he doesn't dominate guys that he can't bully, Gus & OSP are prime examples. I have no doubt that Rumble would have imposed a similar problem to Jones.

Oscar

Woodley "boring" when GSP made a career out of wrestle fucking pwople for 5 rounds.
GSP doesn't have one shot KO power, that's the difference here. Woodley has the tools to be exciting, but chose to take absolutely 0 risk.

He's the champ because of this, but good luck trying to negotiate a better contract. At the end of the day, this is a show business. Nobody cares about your record (McGregor isn't undefeated), the masses buy PPVs for exciting fighters/fights.

ValfarHL

That interview was so rough, couldn't even laugh. He tried hard for the fight and it seemed close, but in the end it wasn't I guess

Is it a goal in itself to laugh?
All the guys in here making fun of DC just seems immature af. Guy lost his daughter to a drunk driver. Jones crashed into a pregnant women and fled the scene, only after running back to get his drugs.

I have literally no idea what's going through the head of the guys here laughing at DC's reaction. Grow the fuck up.

EdmondD

Why do some of you hate Cormier so much? Why is he a bitch ass? He just got fucked up by his biggest rival. The guy he obsesses over. The guy he now knows he can never beat. He got knocked out and concussed and then cried. Still not fucking satisfied? Should Jones spit on him after beating his ass? I don't even like the dude but cut him some slack.

kikiribu

Why do some of you hate Cormier so much? Why is he a bitch ass? He just got fucked up by his biggest rival. The guy he obsesses over. The guy he now knows he can never beat. He got knocked out and concussed and then cried. Still not fucking satisfied? Should Jones spit on him after beating his ass? I don't even like the dude but cut him some slack.
I think most of the people that said they dislike Cormier as a fighter gave their reasons though.

Is it a goal in itself to laugh?
All the guys in here making fun of DC just seems immature af. Guy lost his daughter to a drunk driver. Jones crashed into a pregnant women and fled the scene, only after running back to get his drugs.

I have literally no idea what's going through the head of the guys here laughing at DC's reaction. Grow the fuck up.

I'd chalk up to people not knowing anything about the fighters aside from their UFC interviews/promotions. You can easily tell apart the people that actually know what they're talking about in these UFC fight threads.

EdmondD

I think most of the people that said they dislike Cormier as a fighter gave their reasons though.

Fair enough. I don't like the guy either I find him boring and corny with occasional flashes of brilliance. I just think it could be toned down a little. Dude was concussed and straight balling. It's fucked up. I don't think losing to Jones make you a bitch. Jones is a freak of nature and can fuck up pretty much anyone.

Calderc

I wonder what the percentage would be of people here crying after doing a single one of
DC's training sessions. I'm betting 100.

Yaari

I don't see the issue with him crying either. Rather see him cry and know he gave it all, than a Rumble who was on his way out to retirement and the fight felt like he gave up.

Top Bottom