• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 207 Rondo Rousey vs Amanda Nunes |OT| No Love & NO MORE QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no announcement because Conor hasn't told Dana who he wants to fight. Dana can say he should fight Khabib all he wants but until the "Chicken McGregor" decides he wants to fight him, it will probably never happen. Knowing Conor he'll probably not defend that belt either and try and move up to fight Woodley for his title next.

i don't understand how Conor fighting the massively bigger Woodley would be "chicken". that's just a whole other level of delusional.
Woodley would smash Khabib to pieces.

i don't understand how Conor fighting the massively bigger Woodley would be "chicken". that's just a whole other level of delusional.

The "Chicken McGregor" reference is to what Khabib has been calling McGregor the past few months. The fact that Khabib was bypassed by an out of division fighter for a title shot is ridiculous too...

BadAss2961

People still doubting Conor?! Really?!
He's legit, but he's not like Jon Jones, Anderson, or GSP was. He's beatable. There's tough matchups at lightweight... People forget that Nate Diaz isn't exactly the best in the division, and he gives Conor all he can handle.

darscot

Conor Vs Khabib is either a nailbiter or Conor smokes him quickly. Khabib did not look good his last fight he got lit up by a much lesser striker than Conor. That being said he gets a hold of Conor and it's going to be stressful to watch. Conor is evolving but I don't know if he can defend Khabib grappling. I don't think Khabib can deal with Conor strikes so it makes for a great fight but could go either way. I always go for striking over grappling.

N° 2048

If the draw is big enough and Conor makes something that makes him happy, he'll fight in any times notice. Just my opinion.

He's legit, but he's not like Jon Jones, Anderson, or GSP was. He's beatable. There's tough matchups at lightweight... People forget that Nate Diaz isn't exactly the best in the division, and he gives Conor all he can handle.

There's a pretty large weight advantage there and the Diaz's fight style is inexplicably effective even if they're stupid as hell

That being said, Conor is a counter guy so if Khabib starts slippin' he's gonna eat it

Spuck-uk

Banned
Remember, he was supposed to be fighting RDJ for WW title but RDJ got injured 2 weeks before the fight and that's how we got Diaz vs. McGregor on that card. At that point I think he was already done with the FW division. Those weight cuts just weren't healthy for him. I respect the hell out of Conor for going right after a rematch with Diaz after that loss. Diaz isn't a world beater but his length, cardio, and chin make him a really tough matchup for Conor. Most fighters aren't jumping right back in against a bad matchup like that.

I really want to see Conor vs Khabib now. That O has to go.

He quit FW because the rule changes for IVs meant there was no way in hell he was going to be able to continue crashing weight to beat much small fighters.

There's no proof of your claims either. As of now, there's no announcement of who Conor will fight next.

I mean I agree with that lol, but that's a different argument than before. For the record, I think both Khabib and Ferguson deserves a title shot.

Well, you have more common sense than most.

For the record, I think McGregor is a fantastic fighter that has a lot of grappling flaws in his game. Khabib or Ferguson would most likely exploit those flaws.

i know but Khabib is the much easier fight than Woodley.

No.

Khabibs biggest win was RDA years ago. Hes a good fighter but he hasnt been tested. The UFC matched up Horcher with Khabib as his debut bout in the org. They killed him.

Healy's 2nd UFC fight was Khabib. These guys got thrown to the wolves...

RK9039

Conor vs Khabib in Russia

Fegurson isn't fighting Khabib anymore because he wanted more money, and Aldo apparently wants Khabib.

Well, you have more common sense than most.

For the record, I think McGregor is a fantastic fighter that has a lot of grappling flaws in his game. Khabib or Ferguson would most likely exploit those flaws.

No.

and Khabib has flaws in his stand up, we saw how good McGregor is with his spacing. he'll have the reach advantage over khabib.

sibarraz

Banned
08bea9b3662f45f6b2ab9ef1e807fe73.png

Rondo of Blood

Khabibs biggest win was RDA years ago. Hes a good fighter but he hasnt been tested. The UFC matched up Horcher with Khabib as his debut bout in the org. They killed him.

Healy's 2nd UFC fight was Khabib. These guys got thrown to the wolves...

Which is it? Is Khabib the wolf or the sheep? Can't say he hasn't been tested and then say he he's the boogeyman.

and Khabib has flaws in his stand up, we saw how good McGregor is with his spacing. he'll have the reach advantage over khabib.

Agreed. I think it'll be easier for Khabib to avoid Conor's striking than it will be for Conor to avoid Khabib's grappling.

N° 2048

Those guys took the fight short notice not Conor. Conor had a full fight camp for both fights. SMH

Conor did his camp for Aldo, much different than a camp for Mendez.
He did his camp for Rafael dos Anjos, much different than Diaz.

So yea it was short notice for all parties.

Conor did his camp for Aldo, much different than a camp for Mendez.
He did his camp for Rafael dos Anjos, much different than Diaz.

So yea it was short notice for all parties.

Yes but at the same time Conor was in fight shape while his opponents in Mendes and Diaz were not. They literally threw themselves in a camp a few weeks before the fight. The difference in conditioning for such is a huge advantage for Conor

Chumley

Banned
Yes but at the same time Conor was in fight shape while his opponents in Mendes and Diaz were not. They literally threw themselves in a camp a few weeks before the fight. The difference in conditioning for such is a huge advantage for Conor

Mendes trains year 'round. Diaz does constant cardio exercises. They were both ready to fight, which is why they agreed to do it.

Conor should've defended the belt instead of jumping up to take on Dos Anjos. They refused the fight because it was offered on 2 weeks notice once Dos Anjos came out and said he was hurt. Nobody takes a title fight on 2 weeks notice, especially after seeing how gassed Mendes was when he did the same with Conor a few months before. Look what Khabib did to Dos Anjos before Dos Anjos went on that run to become champ. He totally destroyed him. I accused Conor of dodging Frankie Edgar and a possible Aldo rematch.

Conor killed Aldo in 13 seconds and doesn't want to go back to 145 again. He can do whatever he wants because this is an entertainment business and he is the biggest star they've ever had. Deal with it and stop being so salty.

dream

My friend Ply Wood and I recently rewatched Michael Johnson vs Khabib and were stunned at how badly MJ was lighting up his Russian opponent before being taken down.

Mendes trains year 'round. Diaz does constant cardio exercises. They were both ready to fight, which is why they agreed to do it.

Not true at all. Diaz didn't train at all for the first fight. Also training in general as oppose to training for an actual fight is quite different. McGregor was in prime condition to fight both of those guys. They agreed to do it for the pay day. It wasn't about if they were ready or not. They weren't in fight condition for those fights against McGregor

dream

Ply Wood and I talked a little more about this, and we came to the conclusion that Khabib, with his garbage striking and above-average wrestling, is effectively the male version of Ronda Rousey.

Chumley

Banned
Not true at all. Diaz didn't train at all for the first fight. Also training in general as oppose to training for an actual fight is quite different. McGregor was in prime condition to fight both of those guys. They agreed to do it for the pay day. It wasn't about if they were ready or not. They weren't in fight condition for those fights against McGregor

And yet Diaz still won. By your logic Diaz should have fucking trounced him even harder in the second match with a full camp, right?

I don't think you even know what point you're trying to make anymore.

Ply Wood and I talked a little more about this, and we came to the conclusion that Khabib, with his garbage striking and above-average wrestling, is effectively the male version of Ronda Rousey.

Conor's TDD is also improving every fight. He's going to knock out Khabib in R1 if I had to bet.

If you aren't in fight condition then don't take the fight. Nobody needs to cop pleas for these guys by making excuses that they wouldn't make themselves. And trading for Aldo and RDA and instead fighting Mendes and Diaz is a pretty big departure in terms of styles so it's not like Conor wasn't at a disadvantage (as opposed to a full camp preparing for one fighter) of his own.

Aiii

So not worth it
And yet Diaz still won. By your logic Diaz should have fucking trounced him even harder in the second match with a full camp, right?

I don't think you even know what point you're trying to make anymore.
His point is he doesn't like Conor and he cannot understand why everyone else doesn't share his dislike for him, I assume.

Conor killed Aldo in 13 seconds and doesn't want to go back to 145 again. He can do whatever he wants because this is an entertainment business and he is the biggest star they've ever had. Deal with it and stop being so salty.

They're trying to be a legitimate sport that he's making a mockery of it by simply doing what he wants. The moment he fizzles out the UFC is going to be left high n dry to pick up all the pieces because of all the damage caused by this.

Chumley

Banned
They're trying to be a legitimate sport that he's making a mockery of it by simply doing what he wants. The moment he fizzles out the UFC is going to be left high n dry to pick up all the pieces because of all the damage caused by this.

LOL

Damage? The UFC has never been bigger.

His point is he doesn't like Conor and he cannot understand why everyone else doesn't share his dislike for him, I assume.

It's not that I don't like him. I find him very entertaining and a great fighter. He's ruining the legitimacy of the sport though. It's not even a sport anymore. Other fighters no longer want to fight whom they should in the rankings anymore because all they care about is moneyfights. It's one big popularity contest now.

dream

It's not that I don't like him. I find him very entertaining and a great fighter. He's ruining the legitimacy of the sport though. It's not even a sport anymore. Other fighters no longer want to fight whom they should in the rankings anymore because all they care about is moneyfights. It's one big popularity contest now.

It's never been a legitimate sport. It doesn't have legitimate rankings, legitimate sanctioning bodies, and legitimate revenue sharing. And that's by design. The Ultimate wants to trade on the currency that comes from appearing to be a legitimate sport when it's actually pro wrestling with (mostly) legitimate outcomes.

LOL

Damage? The UFC has never been bigger.

Yes but it's been getting bigger every year since the Fertita bros took over. The problem is that now it's less about skill and more about selling fights. A lot of top guys constantly get overlooked for obvious titleshots/opportunities now. It's more or less like a modern day WWE now than it is an actual legitimate sport which is what they wanted it to be from the start. It's being run like a circus show now.

It's never been a legitimate sport. It doesn't have legitimate rankings, legitimate sanctioning bodies, and legitimate revenue sharing. And that's by design. The Ultimate wants to trade on the currency that comes from appearing to be a legitimate sport when it's actually pro wrestling with (mostly) legitimate outcomes.

Point well taken.

If you aren't in fight condition then don't take the fight. Nobody needs to cop pleas for these guys by making excuses that they wouldn't make themselves. And trading for Aldo and RDA and instead fighting Mendes and Diaz is a pretty big departure in terms of styles so it's not like Conor wasn't at a disadvantage (as opposed to a full camp preparing for one fighter) of his own.

They need the money. That's why they jumped at the opportunity to take the fight on short notice.

They need the money. That's why they jumped at the opportunity to take the fight on short notice.

Then that's on them. You can cherry pick to try and make excuses to discredit Conor but very rarely are fights fought at optimal circumstances. Guys get hurt during camps, guys drop out and are replaced. Conor was training for RDA and got Nate Diaz, he was training for Aldo and got Mendes, yet nobody would use that as an excuse for his performance.

Heel

At its very best it's comparable to boxing, in which prize fighters and promoters strive to create an environment of "moneyfights" and "a big popularity contest." With that said, even boxing has a higher degree of oversight to ensure the semblance of sport. I'd say it's a lot closer to professional wrestling.

This has always been the case, no matter how Zuffa attempted to present it. Unless you believe they cut Jon Fitch because they "didn't have room on the roster" or whatever.

Then that's on them. You can cherry pick to try and make excuses to discredit Conor but very rarely are fights fought at optimal circumstances. Guys get hurt during camps, guys drop out and are replaced. Conor was training for RDA and got Nate Diaz, he was training for Aldo and got Mendes, yet nobody would use that as an excuse for his performance.

I discredit Conor for getting force fed an easy title shot without totally earning it. Then not defending it and running to another division. No other fighter has had anywhere near the pull McGregor has had in such a short period in time. He didn't earn it on fight skill, he earned it with his mouth.

At its very best it's comparable to boxing, in which prize fighters and promoters strive to create an environment of "moneyfights" and "a big popularity contest." With that said, even boxing has a higher degree of oversight to ensure the semblance of sport. I'd say it's a lot closer to professional wrestling.

This has always been the case, no matter how Zuffa attempted to present it. Unless you believe they cut Jon Fitch because they "didn't have room on the roster" or whatever.

That was a travesty when they cut Fitch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom