• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 205 at MSG |OT| Conor McGregor vs Eddie Alvarez | Who Da Fook Are These Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Underground King vs Money Mac for the big boy belt
The Chosen One vs. The Karate Kid
The Polish Nightmare vs The Polish Princess

live and for the 1st time at MSG
ybrDu44.jpg

agMD2TI.png

fe6R4Zr.png

WHO

WHO

Conor then and now:

UFC Embedded & More:
UFC 205: Fighting For History - Full Episode
UFC 205: Conor McGregor - Mystic Mac Predicts Round 1 Finish
UFC 205: Inside The Octagon - Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor
UFC 205: Inside The Octagon - The Prelims
UFC 205 Embedded: Vlog Series - Episode 1
UFC 205 Embedded: Vlog Series - Episode 2
UFC 205 Embedded: Vlog Series - Episode 3
UFC 205 Embedded: Vlog Series - Episode 4
UFC 205 Embedded: Vlog Series - Episode 5

selo

Best card ever? I think so. Hope these guys win:

Alvarez def McGregor
Thompson def Woodley
Joanna def Kowalzkiec
Weidman def Romero
Gastelum def Cerrone
Tate def Pennington
Edgar def Stephens
Khabib def Johnson
Kennedy def Evans
Miller def Alves

So excited for this!

Conor is going to fulfill his destiny of being a two division champion in the UFC. Our boy Weidman is going to get a chance to get his title back after he takes care of Yoel too.

Levito

Banned
People are going to be really upset when Alvarez takes Conor down at will and holds him there for 25 minutes.

People are going to be really upset when Alvarez takes Conor down at will and holds him there for 25 minutes.

Don't see it happening. He barely beat Pettis, and Conor has significantly better boxing, timing, and power than Anthony does.

Eddie can win sure, I'm not ruling it out, but this shouldn't be all too tough of a matchup for Conor. Eddie is also consistently rocked in fights and throws really looping punches.

A smart patient Conor can end his night.

I mean look how ugly, off balance, and totally chin exposed he is when he fought RDA. Conor would light him the fuck up if he trades like that

AnguishedNegligibleKiwi.gif

That said a dry humping contest isn't impossible

Jezbollah

I got my friends who have been out in NYC for the entire week.

By the time they get back, those fuckers would have seen:

NHL @ MSG
Temple of the Dog @ MSG
Steve Vai @ Town Hall
UFC 205 @ MSG

..amongst the usual shopping and having fun stuff..

BadAss2961

Don't see it happening. He barely beat Pettis, and Conor has significantly better boxing, timing, and power than Anthony does.

Eddie can win sure, I'm not ruling it out, but this shouldn't be all too tough of a matchup for Conor. Eddie is also consistently rocked in fights and throws really looping punches.

A smart patient Conor can end his night.

I mean look how ugly, off balance, and totally chin exposed he is when he fought RDA. Conor would light him the fuck up if he trades like that
Conor's also the bigger, taller, longer guy. I like this matchup for him as well.

It's probably the best title shot scenario he could've gotten in the division... RDA was a monster at the time they were supposed to fight, I think Ferguson matches up well, and i'd want absolutely no part of Khabib if i'm in camp McGregor.

Levito

Banned
Don't see it happening. That said a dry humping contest isn't impossible

I wouldn't downplay the skills of Eddie like that. Nate stopped Conor in the second round earlier this year. Then went on to squeak out a decision against Nate in the next fight, while Eddie knocked RDA the fuck out in 1.

Chad was able to take Conor down and hold him there until Chad gassed(two weeks notice). Not to mention Eddie is a much bigger, better, and stronger wrestler than Chad.

If Conor wins it'll be by KO or TKO in the first or second round, which wont be easy(see Eddie's fights with Michael Chandler or Gilbert Melendez). Conor tends to fade in the later rounds and that's when someone like Eddie will grapple him to hell and back. It's a very interesting matchup in terms of styles, I'm picking Eddie by decision. However if Conor can stay composed and on the feet he should be able to finish Eddie too.

Nate stopped him in the second round earlier this year. Then went on to squeak out a decision against Nate in the next fight, while Eddie knocked RDA the fuck out in 1.

Chad was able to take Conor down and hold him there until Chad gassed(two weeks notice). Not to mention Eddie is a much bigger, better, and stronger wrestler than Chad.

If Conor wins it'll be by KO or TKO in the first or second round, which wont be easy(see Eddie's fights with Michael Chandler or Gilbert Melendez). Conor tends to fade in the later rounds and that's when someone like Eddie will grapple him to hell and back. It's a very interesting matchup in terms of styles, I'm picking Eddie by decision. but if Conor can stay composed and on the feet he should be able to finish Eddie too.

That's because I highly highly value Conor's skill set and think he's one of the most talented P4P fighters.

Eddie can be inconsistent, not huge threat in the vast majority of his fights. He lost to Cerrone, barely beat Gilbert and he barely beat Pettis before catching RDA. There hasn't been a single performance in his UFC career that is a stand out. He's tough and gritty but I'm not sure any area he has more skill than Conor other than wrestling. He hasn't shown a highly superior skill set than anyone he's fought in the UFC.

Again MMA is a crap shoot. Anyone claiming they know how this fight is going to play out is just putting up a smoke screen, we don't. Eddie might go out there and dominate Conor.

But looking at how the two match up, especially with Conor having a significant reach advantage over Eddie, I favor him. I actually think it might be a better matchup for him than Diaz was. Also Eddie is bigger than Chad but in terms of actual wrestling technique Mendes is a superior wrestler.

Trades? There was no trading. That was one-sided, and while Eddie does have a brawler tilt, he's not reckless and will probably be the best striker Conor has faced for longer than 13 seconds. Don't sleep on Eddie's boxing, even if the smartest path to victory is wrestling.

Trades? There was no trading. That was one-sided, and while Eddie does have a brawler tilt, he's not reckless and will probably be the best striker Conor faces for longer than 13 seconds. Don't sleep on Eddie's boxing, even if the smartest path to victory is wrestling.

Eddie in no way has superior boxing than Nate, and also has a much shorter reach than Nate so no he won't be the best striker Conor has faced.

He does have more power in his punches than Nate though so McGregor will have to watch out for that

Eddie in no way has superior boxing than Nate, and also has a much shorter reach than Nate so no he won't be the best striker Conor has faced.

He does have more power in his punches than Nate though so McGregor will have to watch out for that

Eddie is 100% a superior boxer than Nate Diaz, and arguably the best boxer in his division.

Trades? There was no trading. That was one-sided, and while Eddie does have a brawler tilt, he's not reckless and will probably be the best striker Conor has faced for longer than 13 seconds. Don't sleep on Eddie's boxing, even if the smartest path to victory is wrestling.

I hope Eddie thinks this. If so, he is most definitely face down by the end of the second on Saturday night. He gets caught by people with trash boxing. Given the chance, Conor will catch him and put him away.

Having said that, Conor has to be praying Khabib loses Saturday because I see no way he wins that fight.

Levito

Banned
There hasn't been a single performance in his UFC career that is a stand out.

That seems more like a matter of opinion than anything. A lot of folks(myself included) think Conor 'barely beat' Nate in the second fight too. He won via decision just like Eddie did against Gilbert and Pettis.

I don't really believe in the "getting caught" thing either. Eddie threw a punch and it landed, and RDA didn't recover. It's as foolish as people saying Conor got lucky against Aldo when he finished him. I'm most interested to see if Conor's wrestling has improved since the fight with Chad, as we haven't had much chance to see that since.

That seems more like a matter of opinion than anything. A lot of folks(myself included) think Conor 'barely beat' Nate in the second fight too. He won via decision just like Eddie did against Gilbert and Pettis.

I don't really believe in the "getting caught" thing either. Eddie threw a punch and it landed, and RDA didn't recover. It's as foolish as people saying Conor got lucky against Aldo when he finished him. I'm most interested to see if Conor's wrestling has improved since the fight with Chad, as we haven't had much chance to see that since.

Getting caught is an absolutely real thing. That doesn't mean its lucky, it still means he was caught. That fight was razor close before Eddie landed. Props to him, though we also just saw RDA exposed this past Saturday as well by Tony Ferguson.

And I don't claim in any way McGregor dominated Diaz in the rematch. He won in a razor close fight similar to Eddie's past few wins.

I mean its just an opinion, and I don't see in any way how it can be considered controversial. McGregor is the betting favorite for a reason.

Probably less foolish actually. RDA v Alvarez at least had some type of feel out process.

Levito

Banned
Rashad Evans being on the undercard is indicative that either this card is ridiculously stacked or no one cares about Rashad in the year 2016.

:(

RDA exposed this past Saturday as well by Tony Ferguson.

Or maybe Ferguson is really good and he beat RDA decisively.

Or maybe Ferguson is really good and he beat RDA decisively.

I never said he wasn't?

Your posts to me are bizarre you keep posting and looking for things in my statements that I'm not making. Like you are really upset that I'm picking McGregor here, when many many people are including a lot of fighters.

I kind of can't believe you believe that, but hey we all have an opinion. There are multiple better strikers at 155 imo, but he is solid there.

Better strikers, yes. Incidentally, one of them is one of Eddie's training partners. But better boxers, no. I give McGregor an overall striking edge, but he is far from achieving automatic victory if the fight stays standing, and Eddie is the best striker McGregor will have faced come Saturday night, excepting Jose Aldo.

Levito

Banned
Like you are really upset that I'm picking McGregor here, when many many people are including a lot of fighters.

I'm not upset at all? All I meant was maybe RDA wasn't "exposed", but maybe Tony Ferguson is really god damn good and lightweight is a fucking crazy division. That's all.

The last time Rashad did anything of significance is brutally destroy washed up Tito's ribs in 2011

Man that feels like yesterday. Poor ol' Rashad has been on a bad downward spiral for quite a while now.

Better strikers, yes. Incidentally, one of them is one of Eddie's training partners. But better boxers, no. I give McGregor an overall striking edge, but he is far from achieving automatic victory if the fight stays standing, and Eddie is the best striker McGregor will have faced come Saturday night, excepting Jose Aldo.

Oh I agree, its not an automatic win for McG there, but I do give him a pretty sizable advantage down to reach and timing alone. He has some of the best timing in all of MMA and that's what makes his strikes so lethal. Its not necessarily just great technique on the strikes themselves but the timing of them.

I just can't get on board with you though on Eddie being a better boxer than Nate. He leaves his chin out often, is overly dependent on hooks and uppercuts, and is too willing to accept a brawl which often leaves his rocked. But I'm not trying to say he's terrible, he is really good.

I'm not upset at all? All I meant was maybe RDA wasn't "exposed", but maybe Tony Ferguson is really god damn good and lightweight is a fucking crazy division. That's all.

Being dominated by another fighter means you are exposed. That doesn't mean you suck. It means lacking aspects of your game were exposed by another athlete. I just don't get why you are micro analyzing every one of my posts for some reason. No disrespect I do enjoy talking with you in MMA threads Levito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom