• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 203 CM Punk vs Mickey Gall |OT| Like Mussolini and Kennedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrage

So apperantly UFC 203 did numbers between 650k to 800k....

Punks carny fight at least doubled buy rates for that card. Thats not more than a 300k PPV without that fight.

Dana is gonna let him fight again.

Sakuraba vs Punk

The curiosity factor is muted now that everyone knows Punk is a can. I wouldnt expect another fight to meet those numbers.

Yeah what would another fight bring?

Either he stays shit or he slightly improves and still loses.

Those are the only 2 outcomes. It was a one time curiosity thing.

Haunted

That early prelim match was great.

Already forgot everything about the prelims.

Faber too old, even with the ol' "everyone gets a free eyepoke and low blow" Dundasso tactic, Rivera simply looked to be the superior fighter.

Punk tried, but that simply was the difference between an inexperienced amateur and an inexperienced pro. No idea how good Mickey really is, but at the very least he is fucking smart with the callouts, looking for Northcutt next to basically make the most amount of money with the least dangerous opponents possible.

The fuck was Browne doing? More shady Dundasso shit right there. You don't call fucking timeouts in MMA. You can try and alert the ref to an equipment failure or illegal blow to gain some time, but since he couldn't produce either, the ref should've just DQ'd him right then and there in the first round. Embarrassing. Werdum was clearly the victim here.

I have never seen Overeem "run" so much around the cage without a fighting stance, showing his back and side to Stipe, walking into free right punches (from imbalanced positioning, but still) when Miocic chose to chase. He also made the wrong call when he got that flash knockdown and then made excuses about phantom taps right after the fight - just weird behaviour for a title match. Good on Stipe for staying on point getting the win, but something felt really fucking off about Overeem.

Entertaining night, in any case. :D

Bork vs Punk

Still think Punk should have played possum and drop back right at the start
Those grapples X takedown at the start is like UFC 101 imo, you can easily catch a newbie sleeping and just end the fight

Punks carny fight at least doubled buy rates for that card. Thats not more than a 300k PPV without that fight.

Sakuraba vs Punk

And he'll bring that number in again as people would want to see if he really improved

He will get another UFC bout

Sakuraba vs Punk

That's an astonishingly big draw. But given how big the disparity is, punk's done in UFC. As Meltzer said, they let Kimbo go and he could actually do stuff. I guess he'll fight in Rizin or Bellator

There's a reason why you can't go for finger joints when fighting in MMA, a finger can also get stucked in a glove, the pain Browne must have felt, he probably thought that's what happened. Same as when a mouthpiece falls or when a gloves his loose due to the tape having fall off or whatever, ref can step in when made aware of it. Werdum clearly stopped, and then went right after him, it was a conscious decision to strike him while he was showing the ref his hand when enough space was clearly made. It wasn't in a excahnge or anything.

I've been in a boxing amateur fight where my opponent made the ref aware that he lost a tooth, I didn't go after him while his head was turned because I'm not a bad sport nor am I a animal. I find pride in beating someone at their best, not due to a shitty opportunity.

And in boxing fights get stopped when you drop your opponent. Are MMA fighters that hammer fist a downed opponent also "bad sports". If you want to stop the fight because of an injury in MMA it's an injury TKO, there's no two ways about it.

Browne is a massive cheat though. Look at what he did to Mitrionne. He was handily losing that fight and then he poked Matt on the eyes twice to a comfortable win.

Now he poked Werdum as well and it was a pretty horrific poke. The UFC really needs to do something about it.

Countering a statement about sportsmanship by quoting rules is pointless. The two do not go hand in hand.

If Browne did something illegal intentionally, then he's got shitty sportsmanship. Werdum equally showed himself to be shitty with his actions as well. One does not justify the other.

Kusagari

Sakuraba vs Punk

Meltz said they expected less than 300k for the card without Punk on it. That makes him an absolutely insane draw to add more than 300k buys.

I wonder if they could resist propping up Punk vs. an even bigger can as the first match on a shitty card.

Sephzilla

Sakuraba vs Punk

Punk's not going to be a draw now that the world saw that he has absolutely no business in UFC

Faber too old, even with the ol' "everyone gets a free eyepoke and low blow" Dundasso tactic, Rivera simply looked to be the superior fighter.

Punk tried, but that simply was the difference between an inexperienced amateur and an inexperienced pro. No idea how good Mickey really is, but at the very least he is fucking smart with the callouts, looking for Northcutt next to basically make the most amount of money with the least dangerous opponents possible.

The fuck was Browne doing? More shady Dundasso shit right there. You don't call fucking timeouts in MMA. You can try and alert the ref to an equipment failure or illegal blow to gain some time, but since he couldn't produce either, the ref should've just DQ'd him right then and there in the first round. Embarrassing. Werdum was clearly the victim here.

I have never seen Overeem "run" so much around the cage without a fighting stance, showing his back and side to Stipe, walking into free right punches (from imbalanced positioning, but still) when Miocic chose to chase. He also made the wrong call when he got that flash knockdown and then made excuses about phantom taps right after the fight - just weird behaviour for a title match. Good on Stipe for staying on point getting the win, but something felt really fucking off about Overeem.

That's Overeem for you. I'm glad I was never a fan, because you never know when he's actually going to show up to fight. Sometimes he just doesn't. It's the weirdest thing. When he does, he's one of the most dangerous and gifted guys in there, but sometimes he just seems to have his mind elsewhere and is like 'am I in a fight? whatevs!'

And mark me down as another person happy to defend Werdum throwing that punch. He had every right to. Browne can't just make up fucking rules and Werdum has to respect them. The only two ways that goes is either the fight continues or Werdum wins. If Browne doesn't like it, then he needs to go do something else.

I'm sure Faber would love to be able to stop a match and get looked at whenever he breaks his hands, but he doesn't, because he knows the rules. And he keeps fighting.

I can't stand Faber, but I've always respected him for that.

Anth0ny

Sakuraba vs Punk

holy shit dat punk factor

but he's absolutely done in MMA now. no way he's a draw anymore after... that. lesnar he ain't.

jmdajr

eUXDQjX.gif

fantastic

I don't think so. His drawing power took a massive hit last night. He was absolutely demolished.

His entire wrestling Gimmick of being straight edge and still doing great things?

eK2ZMWJ.gif

How could e ever cut a serious promo gain without some midcarder nonchalantly saying he was tapped in seconds with no offense after years of training?

I still don't understand that right.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I don't think so. His drawing power took a massive hit last night. He was absolutely demolished.

His entire wrestling Gimmick of being straight edge and still doing great things?

eK2ZMWJ.gif

How could e ever cut a serious promo gain without some midcarder nonchalantly saying he was tapped in seconds with no offense after years of training?

You what?

Heel Punk telling people he had the balls to fail in UFC would be amazing. Pointing out everyone else is chickenshit would be glorious.

Countering a statement about sportsmanship by quoting rules is pointless. The two do not go hand in hand.

If Browne did something illegal intentionally, then he's got shitty sportsmanship. Werdum equally showed himself to be shitty with his actions as well. One does not justify the other.
Protect yourself at all times. The ref hadn't told him to stop when he went in for another punch.

He did nothing wrong, at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceriMW6iv6w

Anth0ny

You what?

Heel Punk telling people he had the balls to fail in UFC would be amazing. Pointing out everyone else is chickenshit would be glorious.

it might be the only believable way to reintroduce him

so wwe will probably book him as a super babyface that totally ignores his tenure with ufc

Fox318

You what?

So much of wrestling is built on illusion.

Illusion of athleticism
Illusion of strength
Illusion of charisma
Illusion of grappling skill
Illusion of sexual appeal
Illusion of being a trained killer

There are very few performers who have a legit background in every one of those fields so its compensated by it being a worked environment with worked matches.

Big Show's punches really don't knock a person out but his size and the way people stand below him adds some beliveabilty to him being a threat.

For Punk he lacked strength that was threatening and he lacked a build that made him look like a threat when compared to the bodybuilders. He compensated that with promos that made his character cutting edge and mixing up some shoot submissions here and there. He wasn't a lou thez or Josh Barnett in that he knew how to role and he knew how to put on these subs when it mattered but when compared to the John Cena's or the Jeff Hardy's he came across in a way that made him seem like a threat. Punk just lost that and frankly there is no stiff shot that can repair that.

Brock got a second fight in the UFC not just because he is a draw but because he went against a former UFC champion and showed that he could stand and fight with one. Punk just lost to a 22 year old in the most embarrassing loss probably in the history of the UFC considering the training and what we know about fighting today.

Punk claims to be very strong of mind but I don't think anyone is enough of a worker to go out and lie to himself and the crowd in a wrestling arena and say he will beat somebody up.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Protect yourself at all times. The ref hadn't told him to stop when he went in for another punch.

It reminds me of when Bisping lost his mouth guard during the fight with Silva, and he gestured towards the ref, and the ref didn't definitively halt the action or tell him to fight on, and Anderson came in with a flying knee.

Until the ref jumps in and calls time, the fight is absolutely on. If the ref is looking at a fighter or just talking, it's not the same as calling for time.

Wrestling fans don't give a shit if someone lost in UFC. Punk would be the most over guy on the roster the second he came back. I'm waiting for him to announce he signed with New Japan.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Hahah yes, thank you for this post! There was so much Dundasso going on that night and I can't believe people got away with it though I shouldn't be surprised. Especially Browne. If you're trying to call time out because you're hurt that should just count as a verbal tap and that's it. No room for gray area here because it's extremely dangerous to encourage that type of behavior and then have guys start thinking they can just call timeouts and not have to defend themselves. Definitely one of the weirdest UFC cards I've ever seen. I know HW is a joke but made no sense what Overeem was doing. Not even like it was a bad strategy just literally made no sense short of the guy being heavily concussed before setting foot in there.

Anth0ny

So much of wrestling is built on illusion.

Illusion of athleticism
Illusion of strength
Illusion of charisma
Illusion of grappling skill
Illusion of sexual appeal
Illusion of being a trained killer

There are very few performers who have a legit background in every one of those fields so its compensated by it being a worked environment with worked matches.

Big Show's punches really don't knock a person out but his size and the way people stand below him adds some beliveabilty to him being a threat.

For Punk he lacked strength that was threatening and he lacked a build that made him look like a threat when compared to the bodybuilders. He compensated that with promos that made his character cutting edge and mixing up some shoot submissions here and there. He wasn't a lou thez or Josh Barnett in that he knew how to role and he knew how to put on these subs when it mattered but when compared to the John Cena's or the Jeff Hardy's he came across in a way that made him seem like a threat. Punk just lost that and frankly there is no stiff shot that can repair that.

Brock got a second fight in the UFC not just because he is a draw but because he went against a former UFC champion and showed that he could stand and fight with one. Punk just lost to a 22 year old in the most embarrassing loss probably in the history of the UFC considering the training and what we know about fighting today.

Punk claims to be very strong of mind but I don't think anyone is enough of a worker to go out and lie to himself and the crowd in a wrestling arena and say he will beat somebody up.

what if punk came back to wwe and busted someone open hardway ala brock lesnar

the beauty of fake sports is they could say punk has been training non stop... and then they can book him to look like his training meant something. they can do a documentary of him training, and have it culminate in a big moment for him. that makes him look strong. unlike ufc, where training non stop for two years can result in...

eK2ZMWJ.gif

VoxPop

Wrestling fans don't give a shit if someone lost in UFC. Punk would be the most over guy on the roster the second he came back. I'm waiting for him to announce he signed with New Japan.

Would actually love a NJPW / Rizin run by Punk. I think that's perfect for him taking what went down into consideration. Rizin albeit having no stars, could still put on some good freakshow fights and putting Punk on the NYE card on Spike TV would be great for them.

Would actually love a NJPW / Rizin run by Punk. I think that's perfect for him taking what went down into consideration. Rizin albeit having no stars, could still put on some good freakshow fights and putting Punk on the NYE card on Spike TV would be great for them.

They couldn't afford him.

It reminds me of when Bisping lost his mouth guard during the fight with Silva, and he gestured towards the ref, and the ref didn't definitively halt the action or tell him to fight on, and Anderson came in with a flying knee.

Until the ref jumps in and calls time, the fight is absolutely on. If the ref is looking at a fighter or just talking, it's not the same as calling for time.
Exactly.

If UFC drops him I see Bellator picking him up. They will take anyone with star power. He could do them at the same time as a TNA or New Japan. I don't think TNA would be able to afford him though, so I see New Japan giving him 6 figures to come in for a few fights a year.

Fox318

the beauty of fake sports is they could say punk has been training non stop... and then they can book him to look like his training meant something. they can do a documentary of him training, and have it culminate in a big moment for him. that makes him look strong. unlike ufc, where training non stop for two years can result in...

eK2ZMWJ.gif

CM Punk turned himself into Bart Gunn.

Bart Gunn was the big tall string wrestler who just happened to luck into a left hook against people with no training and then this.

41Eqb5F.gif

As mentioned, there are some key differences between Brock Lesnar and CM Punk.

First, Brock had a decorated collegiate wrestling career, winning a junior college championship, a NCAA division 1 championship, and was a two-time All American. CM Punk has no sports or martial arts history whatsoever.

Brock Lesnar competed and won a legitimate professional MMA bout before being signed by the UFC. It wasn't against the best fighter in the world by any means, but Kim Min-soo was still an Olympic judoka and kickboxer with numerous professional MMA fights under his belt. CM Punk never even had an amateur MMA fight, let alone a professional one until his UFC debut.

Brock Lesnar was a heavyweight, the shallowest division in the sport, so there's plenty of room for the vanilla gorilla. CM Punk is a welterweight, arguably the deepest division in the sport alongside lightweight. There are currently 105 welterweights under UFC contract, compared to 44 heavyweights.

Losing your UFC debut isn't that big of a deal and happens all of the time. Eddie Alvarez lost his UFC debut and is currently the lightweight champion. Brock Lesnar lost his UFC debut against a former UFC champion, Frank Mir. CM Punk lost his debut against Mickey Gall, who only has one real professional fight.

CM Punk should've never been signed, but Dana is a dickhead and did it anyway (at least all media reporting seems to indicate this was all Dana's idea and orchestration).

Sephzilla

Bart Gunn was the big tall string wrestler who just happened to luck into a left hook against people with no training and then this.

41Eqb5F.gif

And Bart Gunn's WWE career was effectively dead the moment this happened, wasn't it? I think Punk could return to WWE and still be okay though

Seems like there is a reading comprehension problem.

Sportsmanship and rules aren't related. Quoting the rules when someone is talking about sportsmanship is absolutely pointless.

If the ref doesn't call a halt during after any injury or foul, the rules say the fight continues. Nobody is saying otherwise. Good sportsmanship would be the non-injured fighter holding off and acknowledging the injury or foul.

What happens in a case of good sportsmanship is that the United or fouled fighter gets the chance to get the refs attention. At that point the ref will either halt the fight or tell them to fight on. There's nothing lost by the fighter using good sportsmanship.

It's the same way when a fighter knocks another completely out. Rules say they can keep striking until the ref steps in but there are obvious cases where that isn't necessary. Mark Hunt is known for not doling out uneccessary punishment once he's seen his opponent is out and he's well respected for it.

That is what is being discussed. The quality of the fighter as a competitor. Not whether or not the rules allowed for it.

Fox318

And Bart Gunn's WWE career was effectively dead the moment this happened, wasn't it? I think Punk could return to WWE and still be okay though

Yup.

MMA isn't like boxing in that a loss can kill your career. Guys like Shogun and Dan Henderson could always be a draw because of past performances and how compelling they were.

Ken Shamrock and Kimbo Slice had a record rating even though both were old and both were not the elite of the elite.

Punk showed nothing in that fight.

Anth0ny

41Eqb5F.gif

only difference is bart gunn was a nothing character going into the brawl for all

punk is one of the most beloved wrestlers of all time. fans would be willing to take him back as long as it's done effectively.

would casuals take him seriously? maybe, maybe not. but that's when you get him to bust someone open like brock did to add "toughness" to his character again, OR you lean completely into the fact that he got fucked up and turn him into a chickenshit heel

that's the beauty of pro wrestling. you have a TON to work with here.

darscot

Watching Mickey Gall post fight conference and I really like this kid. Hope he has the talent because he seem to have it between the ears. Seems like a genuinely great kid would like to see him rise through the ranks. Will tune in for him and Sage for sure.

The Beard

eK2ZMWJ.gif

Absolutely nothing beats real world experience. You can train for 5 years non-stop before getting into your first fight, and you could very well get your ass beat against someone who's had 2 years training but has already had 5 fights.

There's also the natural talent aspect, which based off of what I've seen from Punk, he has none. His jabs/punches in sparring were hilariously bad, especially those uppercuts.

If there was a fly between his fist and your chin during one of those uppercuts, the fly would survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom