• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 200 Tate vs Nunes |OT| The Fall of Jonesius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Banned
He's just poutine on an act.

7plNLZW.gif

That King of the Cage color mat was weird.

Miller/Gomi went as expected, as did Mousasi. I enjoy seeing Mousasi against lower competition but I think if he had fought DC the fight would have gone the same as it did for Spider.

Good to see Creepy Joe beat creepy ass Sanchez.

Sage is another fighter who is enjoyable against lower competition. That fight looked really out of place on this card of seasoned vets. If I just saw that fight out of context and on that yellow mat I would have thought it really was KOTC.

TJ/Assuncao was a good fight. Wish Assuncao could have pulled it out but I guess we'll see Cruz/TJ again within the next year.

Big Rig disappointed. I actually liked watching him fight before, but as with his weight cutting he hasn't improved. Gastelum looked great.

Pena looked good and that was a fun fight that I wouldn't mind seeing again someday. Women's BW is so mixed up right now.

I love seeing Cain win and love seeing Brown get hurt.

Aldo/Edgar was good. Went as expected. Interesting stat that Frankie has spent 6 hours in the cage. I'd guess about 5.5 hours of that was spent with a concussion.

DC/Silva was what I figured. Even if DC trained for Silva specifically it would have gone the same. I'm glad we didn't see him against Jones again.

Not even going to comment on the travesty of the fight that followed other than i'm glad it wasn't the main event.

Yay Amanda! That was a great way to end a card that was outshown by the first two events of the weekend.

darscot

Not sure you understand the correct usage of the word salt or salty in this context. If I was American it would fit, or if Brock lost the fight it would fit. The winning side of the fight is not salty at the win.

I could be salty I was hoping he lost but you quoted the wrong post for that.

Frankie's style really isn't judge friendly. He lacks those power shots and bruises way more than he should. Dude's face is legit made of paper, gets bloodied up with light/medium attacks. Kinda like GSP but worse.

I feel bad for Tate. Loved her as champion and deserved a decent reign. She didn't seem to fight with the same caution and didn't look as focused as she did with Holly. IDK, maybe Amanda just punches way harder than Holly. Hope Tate comes back.

Was surprised how dumb Cat faught. She should have went into the last round standing up and showcasing those Muay Thai skills.

I didn't know she didn't land a punch lol wtf.

She tapped out really quick and it felt like she didn't even try. How do you rise so far up as a professional fighter and be so lacking in mental strength.

Questioning Miesha's mental toughness is ridiculous after all the fights shes been in where never quit she just got beat up by a better fighter probably the most complete fighter the Women's Bantamweight division has considering she has a good ground game and standup game.

I feel bad for Tate. Loved her as champion and deserved a decent reign. She didn't seem to fight with the same caution and didn't look as focused as she did with Holly. IDK, maybe Amanda just punches way harder than Holly. Hope Tate comes back.

You loved her as longtime three month champion? What made her deserve anything? Tate is as overrated as they come. If Holly had any amount of ground-game so that she wasn't so fearful of the takedown she'd have smoked Tate. Tate's standup makes Rhonda's look sublime. She's a bad fighter and is popular only because she "looks great".

manfestival

Not sure you understand the correct usage of the word salt or salty in this context. If I was American it would fit, or if Brock lost the fight it would fit. The winning side of the fight is not salty at the win.

I could be salty I was hoping he lost but you quoted the wrong post for that.

I am pretty sure you don't understand the use here and are trying to interpret it in a way so that it makes you less salty. BRUH

You loved her as longtime three month champion? What made her deserve anything? Tate is as overrated as they come. If Holly had any amount of ground-game so that she wasn't so fearful of the takedown she'd have smoked Tate. Tate's standup makes Rhonda's look sublime. She's a bad fighter and is popular only because she "looks great".

She's a tough gritty fighter that gets in your face. She keeps the pace and isn't scared to get hit. She's also beaten almost everyone in the division besides Rhonda and Cat, who she was whopping for 2.5 rounds. The Cat fight could be debated that it was an early stoppage. Tate is as tough as they come. If she had 10 more seconds in the 2nd round in the Holly fight she would have finished her. I'd take her in a rematch over Holly any day.

Hardly a bad fighter

Fusebox

Banned
As a Hunt/Silva fan that wasn't the most enjoyable UFC I've seen recently. Sure they were outclassed but nobody wants to see their fave fighters smothered to decision. And jesus god why was the octagon mat yellow?!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
As a Hunt/Silva fan that wasn't the most enjoyable UFC I've seen recently. Sure they were outclassed but nobody wants to see their fave fighters smothered to decision. And jesus god why was the octagon mat yellow?!
I don't think it was a particularly enjoyable UFC for any fans. Maybe Nunes fans?

She's a tough gritty fighter that gets in your face. She keeps the pace and isn't scared to get hit. She's also beaten almost everyone in the division besides Rhonda and Cat, who she was whopping for 2.5 rounds. The Cat fight could be debated that it was an early stoppage. Tate is as tough as they come. If she had 10 more seconds in the 2nd round in the Holly fight she would have finished her. I'd take her in a rematch over Holly any day.

Hardly a bad fighter

I won't disagree on her toughness but you know why it's even noticed? Because she's a human punching bag. Having the worst standup defense in the game doesn't equate to a quality fighter.

and jim miller. no, seriously!

I like Jim Miller, but I irrationally associate him with feelings of my boy Pat Healy getting fucked. He submitted Miller a few years ago, netting a nice purse, a big rankings boost, and a life-changing fight-of-the-night bonus. Then Pat tested positive for weed and all of that was taken away, and he hasn't been able to put a lot together since. Shortly after he was released from the UFC. It's not Jim's fault at all, just seeing his name is a reminder about what happened.

Bad Trip

Banned
Really wanted to see Tate hold onto the belt but fuck , she took one solid punch to the face and fell apart lol . Brock was boring to watch as always , just a big guy who rushes and never attempts any technical moves . It's like watching a shitty street fight .

Cromwell

Banned
Really wanted to see Tate hold onto the belt but fuck , she took one solid punch to the face and fell apart lol . Brock was boring to watch as always , just a big guy who rushes and never attempts any technical moves . It's like watching a shitty street fight .

Brock was legit, he would have knocked out almost any other fighter with those head shots but Hunt has a granite skull.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Except he went south didn't get any better headed back to Canada took advantage of that shit healthcare and got better. Now he is prancing around with the Maple Leaf acting like his usual arrogant ass self. Refusing to pose for a pic at the weigh ins. You want to drape that flag across you back act appropriately.

This is just about the most Canadian thing I've ever heard.

And I mean that with no ill will or malice. More like appreciation.

lupinko

You can't blame a guy with medical problems to be mad when he doesn't get the treatment he is used to. I'm sure he's adjusting nicely.

Yeah, I don't blame him, I had to put up with dumb shit at a GVRD emergency room that resulted in a 6 hour wait for treatment of my car accident injuries. Do you want to know what was the dumb shit? The orderly couldn't pronounce my name right and it's very much as WASP sounding as you can get.

Also Lesnar put down Manitoba, which is w/e.

Except he went south didn't get any better headed back to Canada took advantage of that shit healthcare and got better. Now he is prancing around with the Maple Leaf acting like his usual arrogant ass self. Refusing to pose for a pic at the weigh ins. You want to drape that flag across you back act appropriately.

Brock doesn't have to take photos with anyone if he doesn't want to.

Is "ground game" considered boring now? That last fight was exciting as hell. If I wanted to watch a sport with no ground game I'd watch kick boxing.

The DC variety of just laying on top of your opponent doing no damage and not looking to end the fight by submission either? You bet. The Ronda style, with flashy transitions and always looking to end it with a sub? Not even a little. Which is why one is a megastar with the casuals and the other got booed the whole night.

It's the scoring's fault of course. Giving 10-8 rounds for just doing the barest of minimums in top control so the ref doesn't stand you up is ridiculous. I think it should be the other way around. If you have the most advantageous position the onus is on you to make the most of it. If you don't do any damage (like Brock did btw) or at least go for subs then you deserve to lose the round.

Also lol at sites trying to paint Cormier as the poor hero of the night. "He fought to save 200 and was booed for it". Yeah, no. He fought a 41 year old middleweight on 2 days notice just so he could keep most of his purse. He then went and sat on his chest for 15 minutes taking absolutely no risks and abusing his heavier weight. He clearly didn't give a shit about the show. I honestly don't know how that fight was allowed. And let's not pretend Silva did it "for the challenge" either. 600k had a lot more to do with it.

What a shit show all around that fight was. They should have just scrapped it from the card altogether.

On another note, the TUF finale was great. Tatiana Suarez looked amazing, hoping to see great things from her and Joanna vs Claudia was legit great. Could have actually worked much better as a UFC 200 main event, much better than what we got anyway. I was hoping for Claudia to win, but Joanna is a beast. Great performance by the champ.

Final thought, Misha Tate is tough, scrappy, durable...taps to and arm on her chin. What a joke.

taps to and arm on her chin. What a joke.

Eh... Nothing wrong with tapping to a chin-in crank. Ben Rothwell's last two wins were cranks. Are you going to say his opponents were not tough or durable? You're also severely underestimating how hard it is to mount an offense against a strong half-guard lockdown, especially because DC has probably rarely, if ever, encountered it. It's a stall tactic from Silva, and it did its job.

Eh... Nothing wrong with tapping to a chin-in crank. Ben Rothwell's last two wins were cranks. Are you going to say his opponents were not tough or durable? You're also severely underestimating how hard it is to mount an offense against a strong half-guard lockdown, especially because DC has probably rarely, if ever, encountered it. It's a stall tactic from Silva, and it did its job.

Luke Thomas, is that you?!

Seriously, though, that excuse is such BS. Yes, Silva had a lockdown applied but DC made no attempts to improve position. Stop making excuses for his piss-poor performance. He even made it know in the post-fight press conference that he "did what he had to".

zewone

Final thought, Misha Tate is tough, scrappy, durable...taps to and arm on her chin. What a joke.

The fight was basically over at this point. She was on the verge of losing to TKO or KO. She gave up her back to top to a RNC on purpose is what it looked like to me. She was done.

DC stalled and smothered. Made no offensive attempts. Very different than Brock who was trying to finish the fight and being active on the ground.

DC stalled and smothered. Made no offensive attempts. Very different than Brock who was trying to finish the fight and being active on the ground.

While Brock did more than DC(not difficult) on the ground I'd still disagree that he gave much effort. I mean, he was mostly mounted on a guy that has poor ground skills and the best he could(would) offer was a few punches here and there. Again, better than DC but....

zewone

While Brock did more than DC(not difficult) on the ground I'd still disagree that he gave much effort. I mean, he was mostly mounted on a guy that has poor ground skills and the best he could(would) offer was a few punches here and there. Again, better than DC but....

Agreed. Both were boring, Brock slightly less.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes you can watch from the beginning or watch live. The first set of prelims are on fight pass, the other set on TSN.

Belated thanks and belated bit of a warning for folks -- looks like you can easily do this from web interface, but app interface (iOS, Android, Android TV -- I tried them all) is absolute garbage and afaict does not let you do this for live events. So we wound up pulling it up on my laptop and then HDMI connecting for the fights we missed. So glad that the amazing new owners will probably fix stuff like this.

Nunes faded pretty fast in her last 3 round fight against Valentina Shevchenko. I really don't think she is a world beater at all, especially if someone takes her into the championship rounds

Nunes faded pretty fast in her last 3 round fight against Valentina Shevchenko. I really don't think she is a world beater at all, especially if someone takes her into the championship rounds

She seems like she wins on overwhelming aggression out the gate... if you surprise her or take her more than 2 rounds you'll probably taper out the attack and weaken her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom