• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says Team XBOX have a “plan” to “win” the next generation

THEAP99

Banned
I wouldn't think they would have a plan to lose :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

I was thinking though, Sony will have their work cut out for them if Series X and PS5 are the same price. It should be cheaper.

kyoji

So let me get this straight, hardware sales dont matter, but they are now concerned with 'winning' next generation? interesting......

kretos

Banned
Yea I know Sony’s plan. Not to sure I’m a fan.
ccrKnxx.jpg

Sony's worst gen (PS3) still outsold MS best gen (XB360), all i'm saying

Barakov

I see. So their "plan" to "win" next gen is "MONEY". Their brute force strategy is fine as long as they don't release another Brute Force.

ClearMind

Report me for console warring (Xbot, Xbro etc.)
The PS3 came out a year later, and was 200 dollars more expensive. It also had worse multiplat support and performance at the beginning.
And incredible negative publicity from gamers and journalists for at least 2 years. Journalists especially sucked that microdick hard last gen. Ign for example gave PS3 games lower ratings because they run worse. Ask yourself if they would ever do the same for the xbone or switch.

The PS5 is gonna smoke the Series X no matter if its the same price, $50 cheaper or more expensive.
Microsoft flooded the market with cheap ass xbones this gen. I remember you could get the og xbone for like $129 two years into this gen.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I feel like this is all getting a bit absurd. The "plan to win" really needs to just be have the best software available. That's it. That's why Switch and PS4 outsell the Xbox. They have software people want to play more than what is offered on the Xbox. They need to turn this around. Absolutely nobody is going to care about spec wars even 1-2 years into this.

I can’t argue with the software deficit. MS needs to keep planting seeds that hopefully bloom into killer apps eventually

it won’t be fixed overnight , gonna take time

As opposed to what, a plan to lose?

That’s how I do things in my personal life. Never fails. Or I guess it always fails, which is the pokt

Just saw a stat from after march PS4 has sold 110 million units to MS 45 million. They cant win but become at least relevant would be nice change.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
So let me get this straight, hardware sales dont matter, but they are now concerned with 'winning' next generation? interesting......

He didnt say hardware, did he?

Next gen is about Sooooooo much more than just powerful hardware sold - even thought Series X takes the crown in that department.

The Alien

Banned
I dunno. They can have a successful plan and "win". But I dont necessarily think "win" means selling more consoles than Sony - cuz I dont think that'll happen.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I feel like this is all getting a bit absurd. The "plan to win" really needs to just be have the best software available. That's it. That's why Switch and PS4 outsell the Xbox. They have software people want to play more than what is offered on the Xbox. They need to turn this around. Absolutely nobody is going to care about spec wars even 1-2 years into this.

Ps4 and Switch beat out Xbox because the Xbox division wasnt taking gaming seriously and hardly invested in the brand. There was also poor messaging behind the product. This coming generation, Xbox has as much if not more support than Sony and Nintendo. They've already turned things around. They're just continuing to do so at an alarming rate at this point.

It amazes me how many people still can't get their heads around whats happened and whats happening since Phil got promoted and Microsoft has gone ham and now invested 100% in the Xbox brand as a whole. They purchase an ass load of of studios and talent. They releases Game Pass, they already have the most powerful box with Series X for next gen. Even the tent pole franchises are getting upgrades and time out the wazoo! And people still think Sony's gonna just run way with next gen like they did this gen. Not a chance.

Sony should be preparing for a serious battle next gen.

Last edited:

Windows-PC

Banned
Ps4 and Switch beat out Xbox because the Xbox division wasnt taking gaming seriously and hardly invested in the brand. There was also poor messaging behind the product. This coming generation, Xbox has as much if not more support than Sony and Nintendo. They've already turned things around. They're just continuing to do so at an alarming rate at this point.

It amazes me how many people still can't get their heads around whats happened and whats happening since Phil got promoted and Microsoft has gone ham and now invested 100% in the Xbox brand as a whole. They purchase an ass load of of studios and talent. They releases Game Pass, they already have the most powerful box with Series X for next gen. Even the tent pole franchises are getting upgrades and time out the wazoo! And people still think Sony's gonna just run way with next gen like they did this gen. Not a chance.

Sony should be preparing for a serious battle next gen.

Yeah, this time Microsoft is ready to fight ;)

The biggest mistake is to underestimate your competition!

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I don't know dude. They have a better product - if they match on price, it'll be sony exclusives vs everything else.

And we all know how the ps3 did vs the 360.
Is it really a better video game console though if it doesn't have the best games ;)

And last generation was way different circumstances. PS3 launched 1 year later, had a $600 price tag and had the cell processor which was too difficult for developers to code for. With all of that, PS3 still caught up to Xbox 360's sales figures

Batiman

Banned
Judging from the specs, I thought the XSX would cost at least 100$ more. This is making me think they will not price it any higher than the ps5 and are willing to take a big loss of they have to. Good news for everyone

pr0cs

They've done everything right thus far, clearly they understand their message unlike Sony.
It all comes down to games now.
Not like I won't buy both of them but probably not at launch. Unless.... There is compelling software I NEED to play on day one

Judging from the specs, I thought the XSX would cost at least 100$ more. This is making me think they will not price it any higher than the ps5 and are willing to take a big loss of they have to. Good news for everyone

Considering MS is going to be rolling out a monthly payment plan for the XBX, I doubt it will be $399. I'm expecting $499, with PS4 at $399, taking a $50-$75 hit.

The two companies are doing it different ways. Xbox is being bullish and talk'y, PlayStation seems to be letting everyone else do the hype'ing for them, i guess they expect their next big reveal to crack it all wide open...

Look, all I'm saying is that going back through popular culture, everyone prefers Marty McFly to Biff. Pop culture speaking, the "good guys" would be the ones who try to use brains over brawn. So... PS5 seems to be the light side at the moment~

don't flame me I'm just having fun

Ar¢tos

Unless that plan is a free blowjob per month to every XSX owner I don't see how they can win EU/Asia, their games output is still behind Sony and it will take them several years just to catch up (unless Sony 1st party studios start screwing up).

Would be great to see xbox winning a generation. I have faith in Phil.

They would have to carve out a strong sense of identity with their exclusives to do so. Something that will allow fanboys to stand by them.

Gears tactics and gears 5 seems to be a great start.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Sounds like $399 x. Could it be?
Absolutely. You don't win with a 499 console against a 399 console in units sold. It just doesn't happen. Since they can't just hope for Sony to target 499, they had to design a 399 console to stay active and not reactive. They didn't even know back in 2016 what performance Sony would target. 399 was the obvious choice. And even the Xbox One was a 399 console with a $100 camera. The only 499 console MS has ever done was the One X, but that was not a console targeted at casuals.

Top Bottom