• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer may 2022 "we are in a disaster situation" "a gap of almost 16 months with no exclusives" "Our next big game launch is Redfall"

I can't wait for the eventual documentary on what happened at Microsoft concerning the gaming division once they decide to exit.

They listen to people who tell them what they want to hear, sprinkle in some shilling grifters on YouTube giving “feedback” and that’s a wrap.

peish

does phil love typing wordy emails?

I try not to drawn out my emails, my staff are more likely to tldr.

JackMcGunns

I gather most did not read the entire email. An email from leadership should look like this, he's telling his staff to get their shit together because the situation looked dire, albeit some of it uncontrollable, like the war in Ukraine, and he was right. In hindsight it may look silly to call RedFall their next big release, but that's what it was, just like Haze was marketed to be a Halo killer for PS3, but it fizzled because shit like that happens.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I gather most did not read the entire email. An email from leadership should look like this, he's telling his staff to get their shit together because the situation looked dire, albeit some of it uncontrollable, like the war in Ukraine, and he was right. In hindsight it may look silly to call RedFall their next big release, but that's what it was, just like Haze was marketed to be a Halo killer for PS3, but it fizzled because shit like that happens.
You need to ask yourself 2 questions:
1. Was Halo successful before Haze was released?
2. Since the date Haze released to right now, has the Halo franchise been severely damaged to the point of killing the Halo IP?

Season 3 Ash GIF by STARZ

FYI Haze was fucking utter dogshit.
I should apologise to dogshit for the comparison.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
He needs to get his shit together while he holds that bullhorn.

JackMcGunns

You need to ask yourself 2 questions:
1. Was Halo successful before Haze was released?
2. Since the date Haze released to right now, has the Halo franchise been severely damaged to the point of killing the Halo IP?

Season 3 Ash GIF by STARZ

FYI Haze was fucking utter dogshit.
I should apologise to dogshit for the comparison.

RedFall is dogshit 🤷‍♂️ that's why I made the comparison. All the way leading up to its release, we didn't know it was going to be, but this shit happens even to the greatest leaders. Not sure what people were expecting him to do, an email like this is exactly what I would expect actually.

It's a professional email to other high ranking execs, in a white collar corporate tech management in-group. I would not expect it to look like anything else, and I give credit to honesty about the situation. Do you know what this email really implicates? Matt Booty is not getting it done. At all. So many people are quick to pounce on Phil Spencer, and he has a hand in this, but at the end of the day, Matt Booty is head of Xbox Game Studios and ultimately responsible for the output. That is both decisions regarding content, budget, and release dates. Integrating after acquiring a huge company is no easy task, but it's clear that as long as Matt Booty has been the leader of XGS, there have been huge problems with their output and promises. He is the one under fire here, and we'll see what happens - but if Microsoft is serious about a competitive and profitable gaming platform, I expect Matt Booty may not be around at the end of 2024.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
RedFall is dogshit 🤷‍♂️ that's why I made the comparison. All the way leading up to its release, we didn't know it was going to be, but this shit happens even to the greatest leaders. Not sure what people were expecting him to do, an email like this is exactly what I would expect actually.
I was more taking the piss that from a certain view Haze was a Halo killer. 😂

Mistakes happen and shit games release but it doesn't look like MS have learned properly yet. Sony for the most part seem to have learned something from their duds as the weaker games released are weaker.

DrFigs

does phil love typing wordy emails?

I try not to drawn out my emails, my staff are more likely to tldr.
it is a stark contrast to the Nadella email to Phil I saw, which was just: "are things still cool? k thx".

Last edited:
Top Bottom