• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says Team XBOX have a “plan” to “win” the next generation

sneas78

Banned
I for one admire Sony for instead of using brute force, trying these other crazy things. Using smarts instead of just more power. PS5 sounds more efficient .. Again I think there is nothing a 12TF can do that a 10TF can’t. I mean if it’s like switch 1TF theoretical.. but actually it never gets there. Look at the new MK .. it should be close to what Xbox one can do. But it lacks details beyond. No way In hell does the switch pull 1TF docked mode. However I’m a handheld junkie and I love the switch for what it can do.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I for one admire Sony for instead of using brute force, trying these other crazy things. Using smarts instead of just more power. PS5 sounds more efficient .. Again I think there is nothing a 12TF can do that a 10TF can’t. I mean if it’s like switch 1TF theoretical.. but actually it never gets there. Look at the new MK .. it should be close to what Xbox one can do. But it lacks details beyond. No way In hell does the switch pull 1TF docked mode. However I’m a handheld junkie and I love the switch for what it can do.

"Again I think" 🤣🤣🤣🤣

OT: The plan has to be all about the games. Even if the console was more expensive or priced the same as Ps5. You need a solid lineup of AAA exclusives to lure gamers in.

You're not going to do it with trash like Crackdown 3, SoD 2, or "woke" garbage like tell me why. They have to go back to the glory days of the x360 and XBOX.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
What software deficit on XBox? What specific games on Playstation that are so amazingballs?
Here are the games I recommend, some are amazing, some are great and some are good :)

Uncharted 4
TLOU (If you've never played it)
Spider-man
Ratchet and Clank
Detroit
God of War
Days Gone
Until Dawn
Judgment
Bloodborne
Infamous Second Son
Death Stranding
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Horizon Zero Dawn
Tearaway
Nioh
Driveclub
I'm buying Final Fantasy 7, Dreams, Shenmue 3 and Concrete Genie this week and there's many JRPGs that I missed out on

TLOU Part 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Lost Soul Aside and Sakura Wars, are day one buys whenever they release

Last edited:

iHaunter

PS5 can’t play Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey or Panzer Dragoon Orta at launch.

Well played, Microsoft!

Who cares. Outside of Halo and Gears Microsoft doesn't have a leg to stand. All their first party games last gen were either scams or canceled. He can huff and puff all he wants. Show. Me. The. Games.

Elenchus

Banned

What is this “brute force” everyone keeps raising?

Both consoles are using custom APUs and specific software to enhance performance.

The customizations are different for sure but neither is just using off the shelf parts.

Calling one “efficient” because it had a lower performance target and the other “brute force” because it had a higher one just comes off as damage control.

iHaunter

Here are the games I recommend, some are amazing, some are great and some are good :)

Uncharted 4
TLOU (If you've never played it)
Spider-man
Ratchet and Clank
Detroit
God of War
Days Gone
Until Dawn
Judgment
Bloodborne
Infamous Second Son
Death Stranding
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Horizon Zero Dawn
Tearaway
Nioh
Driveclub
I'm buying Final Fantasy 7, Dreams, Shenmue 3 and Concrete Genie this week and there's many JRPGs that I missed out on

TLOU Part 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Lost Soul Aside and Sakura Wars, are day one buys whenever they release

You forgot some:
-Yakuza 6
-Street Fighter 5
-Shadow of the Colossus (Remastered)
-Persona 5 (PS5 Edition)
-The Last Guardian

All I could think of on the top of my head.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Uncharted 4 good
TLOU (If you've never played it) great
Spider-man meh
Ratchet and Clank ok
Detroit great
God of War meh
Days Gone meh
Until Dawn meh
Judgment meh
Bloodborne meh
Infamous Second Son meh
Death Stranding meh
Uncharted Lost Legacy great
Horizon Zero Dawn meh
Tearaway meh
Nioh meh
Driveclub meh

GT Sport great

Sony's games aren't for everybody. I rather take a Sea of Thieves or a Gears 5 over anything they offer.

Last edited:

V2Tommy

Who cares. Outside of Halo and Gears Microsoft doesn't have a leg to stand. All their first party games last gen were either scams or canceled. He can huff and puff all he wants. Show. Me. The. Games.

I think you missed some of the sarcasm here. On the other hand, Xbox Series X will play Lost Odyssey on launch day and PS5 will launch with Knack 3.

Hobbygaming

You forgot some:
-Yakuza 6
-Street Fighter 5
-Shadow of the Colossus (Remastered)
-Persona 5 (PS5 Edition)
-The Last Guardian

All I could think of on the top of my head.
Yes and then there's Nioh 2 and Persona 5 Royal, there's so many games

Hobbygaming

Uncharted 4 good
TLOU (If you've never played it) great
Spider-man meh
Ratchet and Clank ok
Detroit great
God of War meh
Days Gone meh
Until Dawn meh
Judgment meh
Bloodborne meh
Infamous Second Son meh
Death Stranding meh
Uncharted Lost Legacy great
Horizon Zero Dawn meh
Tearaway meh
Nioh meh
Driveclub meh

GT Sport great

Sony's games aren't for everybody. I rather take a Sea of Thieves or a Gears 5 over anything they offer.
I liked Gears 5 but Sea of Thieves lol

It's ok, everyone has their opinions but objectively PS4 has the greater library

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
They'll just redefine "win" like they always do.

B-b-baka we never cared about unit sales. It was always about MAUs and engagements-per-hour.
Wasn't it Sony that just recently said it's not about unit sales but about MAUs? Microsoft has been doing that for almost a decade, they don't redefine anything.

I liked Gears 5 but Sea of Thieves lol

It's ok, everyone has their opinions but objectively PS4 has the bigger library

Fixed that for you. IMO no game comes close to the likes of Forza Horizon 3 or 4 or Ori 1 and 2. These just don't exist on Playstation.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Wasn't it Sony that just recently said it's not about unit sales but about MAUs? Microsoft has been doing that for almost a decade, they don't redefine anything.
I don't know. Was it Sony?

A decade ago Microsoft was touting Metacritic scores and unit sales. Don't worry, though, the PR talking heads will still have their precious soapboxes and loyal fans to slurp it up.

Hobbygaming

Fixed that for you. IMO no game comes close to the likes of Forza Horizon 3 or 4 or Ori 1 and 2. These just don't exist on Playstation.
I've played all of those besides Ori and the Will of the Wisps and for me I'd take Uncharted 4 or TLOU over them

Sota4077

1. Halo
  2. Gears
  3. Forza
  4. Forza Horizon
  5. Quantum Break
  6. Ori Franchise
  7. Sunset Overdrive
  8. Sea Of Thieves
  9. ReCore
  10. Killer Instinct
  11. Rare Replay
  12. Ryse: Son Of Rome
Its really disingenuous to act act though Microsoft did not have any good games last generation. Their lineup was certainly not up to the level of Sony--not even close, but its not like they put out nothing the entire generation. And I am not sure where your comment about scams come from. What game exactly was a scam? I'm not following you there.

What about allowing the GPU to run at variably overclocked frequencies is efficient?

I keep seeing this “Efficient” and I don’t get it. What makes it more efficient than the XsX? It can read/write/transfer data via its storage bandwidth more efficiently, sure, but what about the GPU setup is more efficient in the PS5?

I don’t understand this particular use of the label.

We all know that Microsoft lost about 30-35 million X360 to Playstation this generation. I'm sure many of those people would love to play the universe of XBox games but for various reasons can't right now. F.e., don't have the money, A/V cabinet space, huge backlog of PS4 games, too much clutter as it is, etc...

My solution - an XBox Switch handheld at $299. I believe Microsoft can out-Nintendo easily on the hardware side and they have an easy way to give those 30-35 million people access at all those great games. If you don't think Phil has an Xbox handheld in his back pocket, you're kidding yourselves!

Also I do not think Project xCloud will move the needle with these people. Smartphones are simply not a good device for gaming, even with the controller attachment. People don't want to drain their smartphone battery for these demanding games, when they have other needs on that device. I think having a handheld gaming device that is Project xCloud enabled would be brilliant. Especially if Microsoft teamed up with wireless carriers like AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Orange!

Last edited:
Some of you dawgs act like all Microsoft needs is their own copies of HZD, God of War, Last of Us, Uncharted, Spiderman and everything will be hunky dory. That's not how it works.

What Microsoft really needed was to buy Insomniac Games and make a killer Sunset Overdrive 2.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I wish them good luck and don't fault him for trying but Playstation is just by far the most popular brand, with the more popular and critically acclaimed exclusives.

Although I doubt he ACTUALLY THINKS they'll outsell the PS5 either way.

Last edited:
I wish them good luck and don't fault him for trying but Playstation is just by far the most popular brand, with the more popular and critically acclaimed exclusives.

You can repeat that line ad-nauseum a trillion, billion times. What does it add to the conversation?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
You can repeat that line ad-nauseum a trillion, billion times. What does it add to the conversation?

Spencer's quotes talk about hitting a price and power point they think can win, I brought up games because it's the other part of the equation.

Can't predict the future; maybe 5 years from now we'll be talking about how MS overtook Sony in popular / critically acclaimed games.. but it's the battle MS is currently facing. A system that is more popular that people are EXPECTING to continue to have the more popular games.

It's a thread about winning a sales war, what else are people supposed to add to the conversation other than things that effect said sales war?

Note: I'm buying both either way and don't think MS needs to actually overtake Sony to have a super successful generation.. even coming remotely close would be a huge success.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
Some of you dawgs act like all Microsoft needs is their own copies of HZD, God of War, Last of Us, Uncharted, Spiderman and everything will be hunky dory. That's not how it works.

What Microsoft really needed was to buy Insomniac Games and make a killer Sunset Overdrive 2.
Isn’t Insomniac a Sony first party studio now?
That boat has sailed.

iHaunter

1. Halo
  2. Gears
  3. Forza
  4. Forza Horizon
  5. Quantum Break
  6. Ori Franchise
  7. Sunset Overdrive
  8. Sea Of Thieves
  9. ReCore
  10. Killer Instinct
  11. Rare Replay
  12. Ryse: Son Of Rome
Its really disingenuous to act act though Microsoft did not have any good games last generation. Their lineup was certainly not up to the level of Sony--not even close, but its not like they put out nothing the entire generation. And I am not sure where your comment about scams come from. What game exactly was a scam? I'm not following you there.

First of all, Sea of Thieves is a scam. Second, most all those games outside of Forza and Gears are very poorly rated, including the previous Halo.

$399 series x would be a disaster for Sony.
How so?

There is a 100 million strong Playstation userbase that will likely pick up PS5 to carry over their library. MS has to convince a decent portion of those users to part with their PS4's and pick up the Xbox library. PS4 also has the highest attach rate of any console out right now so people are definately spending on PS. I have around 100+ games on my PS4. There's not a snowballs chance in hell i will pick up Series X no matter what price it comes in at and that's because i wish to carry over my library to PS5. Eventually i will pick up Series X, but not on day one.

There is a battle ahead on more than just the console price. Its games and services that count as well. The one who succeeds is the one who can nail all of these.

Isn’t Insomniac a Sony first party studio now?
That boat has sailed.
Doesn't Microsoft own the rights to Sunset Overdrive? I dunno, just asking. Not clued up about that particular IP.

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
There is a battle ahead on more than just the console price. Its games and services that count as well. The one who succeeds is the one who can nail all of these.
Hence why Sony teamed up with Microsoft to use their Azure cloud.

These are interesting times, never seen before in the gaming industry, where not only power and games matter, but also services and convenience.

Interesting times indeed... :pie_thinking:

Hence why Sony teamed up with Microsoft to use their Azure cloud.

These are interesting times, never seen before in the gaming industry, where not only power and games matter, but also services and convenience.

Interesting times indeed... :pie_thinking:
Yep its going to be close.

Ultimately the TF number in favour of Series X won't matter in the end. The games however will and keen to see what their studios have been doing. Hopefully we get a sample of that tomorrow.

Yeah. Again, I don’t think anyone truly expects XsX to outsell the PS5.

the focus of this gen needs to be bridging the first party games gap. I believe they will, it just takes time

Sota4077

First of all, Sea of Thieves is a scam. Second, most all those games outside of Forza and Gears are very poorly rated, including the previous Halo.

I was curious because I was fairly certain you are full of shit. So I went and looked up the review for every game listed to determine if they were indeed poorly rated. I ignored user reviews because all games are riddled with dumbass reviews of "Saw tits 10/10" or "Game crashed 0/10" type reviews. And since you were talking reviews I assume you meant out of major outlets anyway since that is what review threads generally consist of.
  1. Halo - Metacritic 84
  2. Gears 4 Metacritic 84 | Gears 5 - Metacritic 84
  3. Forza 6 - Metacritic 87 | Forza 7 - Metacritic 86
  4. Forza Horizon 3 - Metacritic 91 | Forza Horizon 4 - Metacritic 92
  5. Quantum Break - Metacritic 77
  6. Ori and the Blind Forest - Metacritic 88 | Ori and the Will of the Whisps - Metacritic 90
  7. Sunset Overdrive - Metacritic 81
  8. Sea Of Thieves - Metacritic 69
  9. ReCore - Metacritic 63
  10. Killer Instinct Base Game - Metacritic 71 | Killer Instinct Season 2 - Metacritic 85 | Killer Instinct Season 3 - Metacritic 86 | Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition - Metacritic 86
  11. Rare Replay - Metacritic 84
  12. Ryse: Son Of Rome - Metacritic 60
So I think based on that I would say you are absolutely full of crap. That lineup is not stellar by any stretch, but there are literally 2 games in the entire lineup that reviewed "poorly". Recore and Ryse. You could put Sea Of Thieves in there, but it is also widely recognized as a game that has gotten significantly better since its launch and most sites that opted to re-review it have given it around an 8.

So my review is 10/10. 100% would call you full of shit again. I get that you do not like Xbox. But you really do not need to go to the extent of telling lies about their lineup. It just makes you look like a disingenuous fanboy. Especially when you call a game a same.

iHaunter

I was curious because I was fairly certain you are full of shit. So I went and looked up the review for every game listed to determine if they were indeed poorly rated. I ignored user reviews because all games are riddled with dumbass reviews of "Saw tits 10/10" or "Game crashed 0/10" type reviews. And since you were talking reviews I assume you meant out of major outlets anyway since that is what review threads generally consist of.
  1. Halo - Metacritic 84
  6. Ori and the Blind Forest - Metacritic 88 | Ori and the Will of the Whisps - Metacritic 90
  10. Killer Instinct Base Game - Metacritic 71 | Killer Instinct Season 2 - Metacritic 85 | Killer Instinct Season 3 - Metacritic 86 | Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition - Metacritic 86
So I think based on that I would say you are absolutely full of crap. That lineup is not stellar by any stretch, but there are literally 2 games in the entire lineup that reviewed "poorly". Recore and Ryse. You could put Sea Of Thieves in there, but it is also widely recognized as a game that has gotten significantly better since its launch and most sites that opted to re-review it have given it around an 8.

So my review is 10/10. 100% would call you full of shit again. I get that you do not like Xbox. But you really do not need to go to the extent of telling lies about their lineup. It just makes you look like a disingenuous fanboy. Especially when you call a game a same.

You're looking at critic reviews who are paid to review. I think we're done here. Thanks.

Sota4077

So previous generations did they plan NOT to win? Seems dumb. Like going to work and saying "I have a plan not to get fired", well yea I hope so.

I think what they're saying is that Phil took over after the generation was off and running. Well, more like stumbling. But the entire generation they were reacting and trying to correct a massive number of crippling mistakes. For this generation they have a plan they are proud of and it is more focused on gaming rather than the entertainment part of Xbox One at launch.

Sota4077

You're looking at critic reviews who are paid to review. I think we're done here. Thanks.

"I ignored user reviews because all games are riddled with dumbass reviews of "Saw tits 10/10" or "Game crashed 0/10" type reviews. And since you were talking reviews I assume you meant out of major outlets anyway since that is what review threads generally consist of. "

Mmmmkay then.

Andodalf

Banned
The fact that you even mentioned Sea of Thieves which is a known scam product, stated by many "Real" reviewers, proves how delusional you are. Truly.

If you ignore and discredit everyone you disagree with, you'll always feel that you are right.

1. Halo - Metacritic 84

That is one of the most laughable lists i have ever seen. If that is what you think gaming is about, wow.

Top Bottom