• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Not Moving Away from Physical Games" says Phil Spencer

Draugoth

Gold Member
xbox_series_x_xbox_series_s.jpg

When talking to Stephen Totilo, Spencer was asked about Xbox’s future and only releasing a console with a disc drive.

Spencer said that the company will follow “what the consumers are doing”, which, right now, is buying games digitally. However, he wouldn’t shut the lid on physical games remaining part of the future of Xbox despite it being tougher to get the hardware.

“Gaming consoles themselves have kind of become the last consumer electronic device that has a drive,” Spencer said. “And this is a real issue, just in terms of the number of manufacturers that are actually building drives and the cost associated with those. And when you think about cogs that we’re going to go put in a console-and as you have fewer suppliers and fewer buyers-the cost of the drive does have an impact.

xbox_series_x_xbox_series_s.jpg

When talking to Stephen Totilo, Spencer was asked about Xbox’s future and only releasing a console with a disc drive.

Spencer said that the company will follow “what the consumers are doing”, which, right now, is buying games digitally. However, he wouldn’t shut the lid on physical games remaining part of the future of Xbox despite it being tougher to get the hardware.
Yeah, shure Phil.....i dont believe you.....again😉

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well retailers have dumped your physical retail space, and your mid gen refresh is all digital, so again you're full of shit.
Not true at all.

I was in Walmart (Canada) and their game section had glass cases of all consoles gear. In fact, all their disc space are shrinking. There were as many glass cases of headsets and gamepads from all the companies flooding the shelves over game discs. There's shitloads of different peripherals in all kinds of crazy colours and designs.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Retailer confidence is so low for Xbox, they refuse to stock physical games or have the smallet of sections available. Not entirely in his control either way.
The more Xbox promotes Gamespass, the more socially engineered their customers are to expect 'free' subscription titles.

Pelta88

I’ve long been convinced Phil talks just to talk. Like he doesn’t have a litany of false “promises” baked into his track record.

ZehDon

Gold Member
... Spencer said that the company will follow “what the consumers are doing”, which, right now, is buying games digitally. However, he wouldn’t shut the lid on physical games remaining part of the future of Xbox despite it being tougher to get the hardware...
While there is a trend towards digital, Xbox in particular has incentivised it's users to go digital with its services, such as Game Pass. It's hard not to imagine driving its customers digital as being a goal, given the better returns in provides. I don't believe customers are asking for digital only consoles - they're asking for the choice to stay physical.

Top Bottom