• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer wants Sony and Nintendo games on Xbox, but says he doesn’t expect it

DJ12

The problem for Phil is he's made xbox easy to ignore for GaaS games. No one buys games on xbox, and there's not enough people buying xbox consoles.

Skelterz

Holy fuck, does this man have 0 self awareness?

Starfield, Redfall, Indiana Jones were being developed for Xbox, PS5, PC. Phil acquired Zenimax and made the decision (unilaterally, apparently) to remove PS5 from that equation. Who does that help in the industry? How does that benefit anyone?
He’s a fucking idiot and anybody who trusts/Believes his moronic ramblings need to give there head a wobble. Phil’s Spencer announced today that going forward Xbox will Be releasing select 1st party games and going forward anything and everything will be considered.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I think it should be too. I've got friends on Xbox who I'm sure would love to play it.

I mean, I can't see that happening but never say never. Sony higher ups are looking to increase revenue, what better place to start than release these third party semi exclusives on other platforms?
Not on the dying, users not buying software-console.

It's also the reason why their console is dying.
lol to the Xbox ecosystem maybe but as for as money and more engagement it’s a win in their book you guys keep looking at it with fanboism they haven’t made profits on console ever so they don’t care lol

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I’m not exactly sure who it helps in the industry by not being on Xbox,” he said. “If you try to twist yourself to say, like, somehow that benefited somebody somewhere.

Let's get Halo Infinite and Forza on Playstation then, Philip. Come on. How does that benefit the industry?

How about unlocking Starfield? That was in development for PlayStation before you put an end to it.

Saber

Gold Member
I too want billions of cash and a mansion full of asian hookers.

Bro wants to get laughed out of nintendos offices a second time.

Nintendo should call everyone around the globe to a specific place and stream live, so we can all laugh at them together.

Skifi28

Too soon Phil, at least wait until all your games are on other platforms because you start questioning exclusives. Certainly didn't stop you from buying Bethesda and canning the PS version of Starfield.

Darsxx82

The problem for Phil is he's made xbox easy to ignore for GaaS games. No one buys games on xbox, and there's not enough people buying xbox consoles.
Well, I am clear that Helldivers 2 ( that people have clear It will never come out in Gamepass) would be the perfect type of game to become a success among XBOX users.... Not enough user base?? Certainly not for niche or Japanese games. But for an online coop shooter???

You not see any 3rd party game with those characteristics that have been left out in an XBox version. And they don't do it because they would be crazy if they did.

That said, in fact only some niche publishers or exclusive purchases for Sony dont release on XBOX.

Del_X

They got the sale either PC or Xbox, it's a win-win. Who cares that someone paid their games on PC (also their home with windows) rather than a plastic box? It's archaic thinking for epeen wars.
Console war hawks. They want a console war despite the industry moving well beyond that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As long as it makes money, do it. Only hold out is Nintendo. MS does PC games and has legacy games on competing platforms still there before Xbox bought the company. Sony does PC games and even does MLB The Show on Xbox and Switch.

T-0800

If my screen is already an Xbox then Sony games are on Xbox.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Porcile

Phil/Xbox/the 3rd place loser once again telling far more successful companies what they should be doing. This guy is like a jacked-up Reggie except instead of muscle he is full of PR steroids. Unbelievable.

Atrus

Gold Member
The gaming division of Microsoft is not material to the company. It is material to both Sony and Nintendo and neither have indicated that they want to endanger the core sales of their platform.

There’s more at stake for the other two companies.

knguyen

Imagine interviewing this guy, you ask him a legit question, next thing you know, a bow full of Spencer shit flies straight at your face.

SHA

Just like Master Chief want to cooperate with the blue and the red team but expect nothing from them.

nowhat

It's nice to want things. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I've very likely told this story before, but whatthehell, I'm a bit tipsy, here goes again.

I have a habit of using English idioms directly translated to my native Finnish. So if you know the origin of the idiom, you'll get it, but otherwise it'll be quite nonsensical. So when my daughter was a toddler and wanted this and that and all, I usually replied with "yeah, and I want a pony". So this one time I'm picking her up from daycare, and she's absolutely livid. She started ranting about how a friend of hers gets everything she wants. I'm trying to assure her that it's definitely not the case, but she insists "no it's true, she gets everything she wants!". So I reply "be as it may, you don't get everything you want. Neither do I." And suddenly she's all contemplative and after a while says "...yeah, I guess you're right, you don't still have a pony".

Phil Spencer wants Sony/Nintendo games on Xbox, and I want a pony. My guess is both are equally probable.

helldivers-2-c-1440x810.jpg

In an interview for journalist Stephen Totilo’s Game File newsletter, Spencer said the decision to bring four Xbox games to other consoles wasn’t intended to make its rivals follow suit.

Despite this, Spencer said he would of course welcome other consoles’ games on Xbox, and noted that it would be beneficial for multiplayer games in particular, where building a large online community is important for a game’s lifespan.
This is the jackass who created an internal team with the express intention of getting around the clause in the minecraft contract that specified that it had to be available on playstation systems.
The same one who cancelled all playstation versions of Bethesda games but continued to blow smoke up the publics (and regulators asses) about how nothing had been decided regarding exclusivity and that it was a "case by case basis".
And now hes fucking crying about Helldivers not being on xbox - a game that sony funded completely.
Fire him. Into the sun. Or a black hole.

StueyDuck

In an interview for journalist Stephen Totilo’s Game File newsletter, Spencer said the decision to bring four Xbox games to other consoles wasn’t intended to make its rivals follow suit.

Despite this, Spencer said he would of course welcome other consoles’ games on Xbox, and noted that it would be beneficial for multiplayer games in particular, where building a large online community is important for a game’s lifespan.
If he can pull it off I'll respect him.

I have very little respect for the way MS and Xbox has conducted themselves in the past few years.

I'll always say that consolidation is/was stupid shit

CobraAB

At times, i seemed like Phil was looking down with his eyes closed at times as he spoke.

Just sort of seems like he lacks some confidence in what he is saying.

[Sigma]

Fake good guy Phil has been actively killing his Xbox consoles, pretending like things were this "enter lie" when it wasn't out here gaslighting. Now we here port begging.

ProtoByte

Wow, he still doesn't get it. Going day 1 PC hurt Xbox beyond repair and now saying putting their stuff on competitors consoles is good for business? Not thinking, are ya?
Sony and nintendo have no reason to do so as they have successful and growing platforms.
Tell that to PlayStation. I don't think they're on exactly the same path, but they're this close to crossing the PC Rubicon.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

“I will say, when I look at a game like Helldivers 2 – and it’s a great game, kudos to the team shipping on PC and PlayStation – I’m not exactly sure who it helps in the industry by not being on Xbox,” he said. “If you try to twist yourself to say, like, somehow that benefited somebody somewhere.
He just boasted about Windows and Xbox only games and then comes out like this? He has no shame…

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They got the sale either PC or Xbox, it's a win-win. Who cares that someone paid their games on PC (also their home with windows) rather than a plastic box? It's archaic thinking for epeen wars.

That's not how it works though. If someone buys an Xbox game on Steam, they get that revenue minus 30% or whatever. That's it. If someone buys an Xbox to get that game, that person is now in the Xbox ecosystem and MS will make money from every transaction they make in that ecosystem (buying other games from which MS gets a cut, microtransactions, subscriptions). They would much rather have the latter, but they haven't been able to entice enough people to join that ecosystem.

Make great games , not excuses, repetitive quotes and paying off people with access to influence narratives on social media. It’s not rocket science.

Why are Sony and Nintendo more successful? They make and publish games in a steady flow that people want to play. That brings in money, that keeps a core user base that spreads out to the less informed to also invest time and money into your product.

Why was Halo so successful for a time? A game that followed that formula above.

You are clearly the incapable of doing this consistently and when Xbox is more about quotes from you, apologies from you, how after a decade you are still learning, constant talk of how and where you play far more then what you actually play, it’s a problem.

You have had your time , it’s not working.

In time I hope there is a honest retrospective on this guys leadership and see just what a shocking waste of potential Xbox has been.

Last edited:

kyussman

I thought Microsoft liked winning,why are they indulging this guy,he's fucking clueless.....seriously,third place,fuck all great games,fuck all consoles sold,zero chance of hitting their GamePass numbers.....I don't get it.

Fox Mulder

MS wouldn’t either if their hardware was selling well fueled on highly reviewed GoTY quality first party titles.

It would be nice if Nintendo allowed the old Rare games to fill out the Rare Replay collection on Xbox though. MS sent over Banjo Kazzoie N64 games to Switch.

laynelane

same way that third-party exclusives was anti-consumer but buying third-party companies & making their games (previously) exclusive was perfectly fine 🙄 the amount of gaslighting that comes from the Xbox evangelical base is suffocating

I used to think they were just making things up as they went along (the rabid Xbox fans/influencers/shills), but it's become more and more apparent that the bullshit comes right from the top. 'When everybody plays, we all win', Sony wants to grow by making Xbox smaller, 'gee, it sure would be nice if Nintendo and Sony returned the favour by porting their exclusives to Xbox but I don't expect anything (humble smile)', etc.

Phil is a massive warrior himself and, as long as he there to lead by example, I see discussions around Xbox related topics becoming even more toxic than they already are.

Top Bottom