• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A handheld Xbox? Microsoft’s gaming chief can’t stop thinking about it

Topher

Gold Member
A handheld Xbox could be hardware, an app, or both

Phil Spencer has tried all of the new PC gaming handhelds: the Asus ROG Ally, the Lenovo Legion Go, and the Steam Deck. He’s impressed. But he can’t shake one question. How would he make them more Xbox?

“I want my Lenovo Legion Go to feel like an Xbox,” Spencer told Polygon in an interview during the annual Game Developers Conference. “I brought [the Legion Go] with me to GDC. I’m on the airplane and I have this list of everything that makes it not feel like an Xbox. Forget about the brand. More like: Are all of my games there? Do all my games show up with the save [files] that I want? I’ll tell you one [game] that doesn’t right now — it’s driving me crazy — is Fallout 76. It doesn’t have cross-save.

“I want to be able to boot into the Xbox app in a full screen, but in a compact mode. And all of my social [experience] is there. Like I want it to feel like the dash of my Xbox when I turn on the television. [Except I want it] on those devices.”

According to Spencer, the Xbox hardware team, led by Roanne Sones, is considering “different hardware form factors and things that [they] could go do” as it plans the future of Xbox hardware. “What should we build that will find new players?” Spencer said. “That will allow people to play at times when they couldn’t go play [in the past]?”

In our expansive interview, Spencer described two approaches to making Xbox available on handhelds: the hardware versus the software approach. As he said, he has strong feelings about what a handheld Xbox device should feel like. But he also recognizes — having learned from the console business — that players may choose brands other than Xbox. For those players, Spencer wants to improve the Xbox handheld gaming software experience, too — particularly for people who have devices running Windows, like the Legion Go and the Ally.

“I like the fact that Valve, Lenovo, and Asus went out and innovated in a new form factor. And I will say that when I’m playing on those devices, it almost feels more like a console than a PC — nine times out of 10. The things that usually frustrate me are more Windows-based than device-based. Which is an area I feel some ownership of. Like, I want to be able to log in with a controller. I’ve got my list of things we should go do.”

Spencer has spent his tenure at Microsoft pushing Xbox to be both a console experience and a software experience that follows players wherever they enjoy games. That philosophy expands with his views on handheld gaming.

“From a game creator standpoint,” Spencer said, “I can then go build a single version of my game that spans more hardware and reaches more customers. And I would say for players, it reduces the friction. Like, if I want to go play my console games on the go with a handheld, I don’t want to only be able to buy one brand of handheld. Right? […] I want everything that we’re doing in the hardware space to be great. But if somebody chooses to go play today [somewhere else], I don’t want them to feel like a lesser Xbox [player].”

Over the past seven years, we’ve seen the Xbox development team get creative with its software, moving games to new platforms, building up the Game Pass subscription service, and making games playable on smartphones through streaming. As we wrapped our conversation, Spencer wouldn’t outright announce an official Xbox handheld, but he did say he sees a similar level of creativity coming to hardware that Xbox has brought to software.

“I think it’s important,” said Spencer. “You and I, we’ve been around for a couple of days. Look at the real inflection points in our industry, like look at the Wii. It was hardware innovation that was linked with great software innovation.”

Nice to see that Phil Spencer recognizes the same issues with Windows handhelds that others have pointed out.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Lots of words from the words maestro. Nothing of actual note. An Xbox handheld would flop because nobody sane would spend reasonable amount of money on a locked down system when similar amounts of money would get you a full-fledged gaming PC handheld. And I reckon MS does not want to make hardware that is just an open Windows when other companies are already doing the job for them.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Forget about the brand. More like: Are all of my games there? Do all my games show up with the save [files] that I want? I’ll tell you one [game] that doesn’t right now — it’s driving me crazy — is Fallout 76. It doesn’t have cross-save.
It just kills me to see him still doing this. He could make a Portal if he wanted. Or making a deal with Steam for better integration with the Steam deck and fix all of his complaints. Instead he just talk and hype Xbox. I am interested in a new portable console, be it from Xbox or Playstation. But honestly he could just wait for June and show it to the world instead of doing this.

Topher

Gold Member
Lots of words from the words maestro. Nothing of actual note. An Xbox handheld would flop because nobody sane would spend reasonable amount of money on a locked down system when similar amounts of money would get you a full-fledged gaming PC handheld. And I reckon MS does not want to make hardware that is just an open Windows when other companies are already doing the job for them.

Well......that's really the challenge he has to solve. Can't just make another Windows handheld. What's the point? Can't just make an Xbox handheld either. Needs to come up with something innovative and different. A $600 Xbox handheld is dead on arrival.

It won’t flop if they refine both the software and hardware to the point it is the best handheld by a mile, I do agree it needs unique features and open development platform, a semi open platform like iOS would be perfect. But doubt they have anyone at ms who is visionary enough to create such a platform.

bender

What time is it?
In Phil's mind:

Kinect = Wii
XBone/Series = Wii U
Xbox Portable = Switch

Xbox brand is saved!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Well......that's really the challenge he has to solve. Can't just make another Windows handheld. What's the point? Can't just make an Xbox handheld either. Needs to come up with something innovative and different. A $600 Xbox handheld is dead on arrival.
They could, but they need to make it another windows handheld being bankrolled by a 3 trillion dollar company.

Contact AMD and ask them to make the best APU they can with their money, 120hz OLED 1440p screen, 1070/1080 ti performance with 8+ hr battery life, reform and transform Windows into the ideal handheld PC OS, make a control scheme equivalent or better than the steam deck, and drop it for 400 dollars. And maybe they can challenge valve.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Lots of words about the frustration we’ve all felt when doing anything Xbox-related outside of Xbox.

Just talk to Valve, get cross-save working for all Xbox games that is on Steam, sync Steam and Xbox Achievements, make Gamepass games launch through Steam, make sure everything can run on Steam Deck.

A dedicated Xbox handheld will flop.

All they need to do is bankroll a few of their Devs to create a rock solid gamepass app for the steam deck and work closely with the valve team to make sure their games run as best as they can on the deck and that shit would fucking snowball.

God knows how much they spent on halo alone to end up flipping. An official gamepass app and ports of their major games would cost them fuck all.

TAKE A FUCKING CHANCE!

MarkMe2525

He should have been doing this 4 or 5 years ago instead of sending all their Series X silicon to server farms to power their industry worst laggy ass 480p Youtube quality X-cloud garbage.
I remember you.
Xcloud is trashcan sludge and a total waste of money and resources. The 30fps "console blades" with 100's of ms of lag, streaming compressed as fuck 480p/720p Youtube video is utterly unplayable and the absolute worst way anyone could choose to play a game. Everyone would be infinitely better off if they torched it tomorrow and put all that wasted money into securing more Gamepass games.
It sucks that you have such a bad connection to their data centers. Works awesome for me.

Crayon

I want to know if they kick off a fud campaign against Nintendo, or if not, if they can stop their fans from starting one themselves.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Feels pretty late, unfortunately; if the Xbox Series had been XBX and XBP, maybe the "Xbox Series" concept could have been more successful. (It was a little bit too early to put that type of hardware into a handheld, unfortunately.)

By the way, it's still sort of surprising to me that the Xbox Streaming Stick (I think it was going to be called Xbox Series K, for Keystone?) never came out. Streaming gaming fell into a serious valley that probably made the streaming kit a bad bet (Xbox Series launched in 2020, and Stadia announced its closure in 2022,) but for a short moment, it seemed to make sense what the gameplan of this new Xbox generation was going to be with two different levels of power in the launch boxes.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
It could work if it is a hybrid system like the Switch.

MarkMe2525

This cunt is going to turn my beloved Xbox into a fucking mobile gaming company aint he. It could of been great, pushing Sony and Nintendo to be better at the same time but nah lets crumble that shit and go after the candy crush brigade.
Would you say that the Steam Deck changed Valve? Maybe not the best analogy, but my point is so far the handheld idea has been framed as a way to play your Xbox games. It's a leap to go from that to becoming a mobile first developer.

Reallink

I remember you.

It sucks that you have such a bad connection to their data centers. Works awesome for me.

As I've already explained to you I'm in a million+ population US metro on a hardwired Gigabit fiber connection situated within 1-2 hour drives of several other million+ pop metros. It's not a connection issue, it's objectively Xcloud's terrible encode/decode and throttled bitrate. The fact you can't see the issues on a 5" phone screen or 17" monitor doesn't mean they're not real. Their streaming video quality is indisputably the industry's worst by a wide margin. That's without even touching on the unplayable input lag introduced by streaming 30fps console code across the internet. The service is shit top to bottom and Phil likely torpedo'ed the entire Xbox hardware brand diverting the majority of Series X silicon to server blades during covid shortages.

ShotX1.jpg

Beechos

Day 1. If done right I can legitimately see this get ms back into the game. A portable series s handheld will be day 1 for many people. Hell this might come out before the switch 2 with whatever is taking nintendo so long.

A handheld that can play games natively and stream games too via gamepass would be a game changer. Ms has the engineers to make it happen between the series and surface crew.

Pejo

Woke: Working with Valve on the Steam Deck 2 to allow an Xbox App to run Xbox games natively on the Deck with achievements and friends lists built in, Xbox OG and 360 emulation, and nice QoL features.

Broke: Making a portable Xbox that runs some neutered version of Windows or Xbox OS that supports only Xbox games or whoever wants to pay MS to get their games on the ecosystem.

Galaxy Brain Ascended level:
iu

Just don't fucking do it Phil. You won't be able to dent the market and it's just gonna waste more time and money. Rehaul management in all of the devs/publishers you bought in the past few years and make some good fucking games before you worry about any of this tertiary shit.

Topher

Gold Member
Woke: Working with Valve on the Steam Deck 2 to allow an Xbox App to run Xbox games natively on the Deck with achievements and friends lists built in, Xbox OG and 360 emulation, and nice QoL features.

Broke: Making a portable Xbox that runs some neutered version of Windows or Xbox OS that supports only Xbox games or whoever wants to pay MS to get their games on the ecosystem.

Galaxy Brain Ascended level:
iu

Just don't fucking do it Phil. You won't be able to dent the market and it's just gonna waste more time and money. Rehaul management in all of the devs/publishers you bought in the past few years and make some good fucking games before you worry about any of this tertiary shit.

Xbox games already run on Steam Deck via Proton so I don't think you'll see any attempt at native implementation. Somehow integrating Steam with Xbox on a device seems more plausible, although also unlikely.

Pejo

Xbox games already run on Steam Deck via Proton so I don't think you'll see any attempt at native implementation. Somehow integrating Steam with Xbox on a device seems more plausible, although also unlikely.
I meant something more like Games with Windows™ LIVE🤮 implementation and access to the online-only backwards compatibility games from XBLA. Something to tie your achievements, friend lists, etc than just the games running natively themselves, which I'm aware is already possible.

Top Bottom