• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is improving its Xbox app for Windows handheld gaming PCs

pasterpl

A new compact mode hopefully paves the way for more Windows handheld improvements in the future.

Microsoft has started testing new updates to its Xbox app on Windows 11 that improve the experience on handheld devices and smaller screens. In an Xbox test app released earlier this week, Microsoft has introduced a new compact mode that greatly reduces the sidebar on the left-hand side.
Compact mode is designed to improve “the experience on handhelds and small screens,” according to Microsoft — it also works on any size screen. It’s a relatively minor UI change, but very welcome on devices like the ROG Ally where you only have a 7-inch display. Windows 11 is a pretty cramped experience on the ROG Ally, and improvements to the Xbox app are an encouraging first step towards what we hope will be some type of handheld mode for Windows.

Early “Windows handheld mode” concepts leaked from a hackathon project inside Microsoft earlier this year, including a floating taskbar, an improved game launcher, and changes to the Xbox app. This gaming shell was simply a prototype, built before devices like the ROG Ally and Lenovo’s Legion Go were announced.
Asus’ ROG Ally is now emerging as the portable Xbox for PC Game Pass. Even Xbox chief Phil Spencer is a fan of the ROG Ally, describing the handheld as his “Xbox on the go” in an interview with Eurogamer earlier this year. There is still so much that Microsoft could do to improve the experience, though. “We are focused on making the Xbox and GP experience great on devices like the Ally ... More to do,” admitted Spencer in a tweet in July.
Hopefully the Xbox app improvements, albeit small right now, are a first step towards some bigger improvements for Windows-based handhelds. Microsoft also hinted at bringing features like Quick Resume to Windows gamers earlier this year, alongside commitments to work with publishers on the “experience layer” of resuming games across devices.

time to retire my steam deck and move to ROG Ally

Don’t waste ur time, windows itself is trash, have little hope this, how steam, with far less resources are able create much better software, its just crazy.

Last edited:
I knew this would happen ever since Phil Spencer spoke about how much he's been enjoying the ROG Ally.

No one paid attention to him talking about it, because it was the very same interview where he famously said "it's not true that if we go off and build great games all of a sudden you're going to see console share shift to xbox in some dramatic way."

Eotheod

I'm sure it will still be trash.

I can't believe how bad mod support with it is. It was a terrible experience for me playing Starfield through the Xbox App on PC.
Literally all you have to do is dump the mod files into Starfield\Content\Data\interface and away you go. It is quite literally the exact same as Steam for loose files. They are working on a way to support bundled files but most likely it will be done through a mod manager or something.

I just really do not get the hate on the Xbox PC app. It performs to its needs, i.e. select game, install and play. I had all of I think three crashes ages ago, which were fixed by removing the games and reinstalling them. I completely understand there was hard drive installation issues eating up data without there being a game, or it not uninstalling correctly ages back but they've actually fixed a lot of shit up. Plus the UI is simple, easy to understand and provides custom folder choices.

What more do people want?
Need to consolidate the xbox apps into one. I never know which one to load up to see Achievements and such.
What are you even talking about? There is just one app for PC, which has achievements viewable in your profile. Or are you talking about mobile? If so, I do agree is a mess.

Last edited:

hlm666

Need to consolidate the xbox apps into one. I never know which one to load up to see Achievements and such.
It is all one app? Well i've only got 1. Click xbox icon it loads up into the gamepass/library view. If I want to see that other junk click user icon select profile, friends and stuff click the icon bottom right. It's crap and the layout is horrible but it's all in one app from what i've experienced.

Top Bottom