• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft teases ultrapowerful next-gen Xbox — and maybe a handheld

It's mindbogling how dumb and clueless these bastards are
Phil my boy it is was never about the power of the console.
It was is and always will be about games
Make great exclusive games it will move hardware

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How does they translate to games? Because for number of years now the graphical (let’s not kid ourselves, you sell graphics to 90% of people) improvements have stalled.

Pandemic really hurt the graphical improvements. Plus games taking longer to make. You'll see the differences though.

It is a headscratcher. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in these guys if they think they can do the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

And why even talk about next-gen..................unless you really are going to release your next-gen system within the next 2 years. Weird.

Well at least they're having wins in the DEI department. Everybody knows that's the only thing that really counts anyway.

DON'T do that. Sarah Bond is no better or worse than the other two white guys speaking up there. She's earned her way like anybody else.

Ozriel

M$FT
Where are the fucking games? Series X is already the most powerful console and nobody wants one because almost all the best exclusives are on Playstation.

And LOL at the idea of Microsoft releasing a portable to compete with Switch 2 or a second/third gen Steam Deck. LMAO even.

How anyone in management still has a job is absolutely mind-blowing to me.

No claim was made that their own console was going to be more powerful than the competition. The ‘technological leap’ covers the projected jump from current gen to next gen.

Claims that power is irrelevant is jarring to see on a forum where the Series S inspired a whole lot of handwringing.

Any handheld would be as an additive to a traditional console release. Nobody is insinuating or even discussing a rumor that Xbox is planning to make a handheld as their sole offering.

You people get angry as fuck about things you misconstrue yourselves 🤣🤣🤣

DON'T do that. Sarah Bond is no better or worse than the other two white guys speaking up there. She's earned her way like anybody else.
But my remark was in absolutely no way making any assumptions or assertions about Bond. This person just randomly happens to be in this position at this point in time, that's contingent from the viewpoint of the company trying to comply with general DEI goals. You're falling into the trap of the lefts framing of the subject by making this an ad hominem with regards to her. I can very well criticize DEI and ESG without making personal attacks on the individuals who happen to be subjects of their protocols and programs.

Last edited:

sendit

It’s going to be interesting to see what the three musketeers come up with, along with the the help of the Surface team. Mark Cerny is 2 of 2 in terms of balancing console design with cost to performance.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

But my remark was in absolutely no way making any assumptions or assertions about Bond. This person just randomly happens to be in this position at this point in time, that's contingent from the viewpoint of the company trying to comply with general DEI goals. You're falling into the trap of the lefts framing of the subject by making this an ad hominem with regards to her. I can very well criticize DEI and ESG without making personal attacks on the individuals who happen to be subjects of their protocols and programs.

It shouldn't take you seeing and talking about Sarah Bond to question or criticize DEI though. This thread isn't about corporate politics or diversity in the workplace. Seems out of place for you to bring it up, unless you were questioning her qualifications.

mckmas8808

It’s going to be interesting what the three musketeers come up with the help of the Surface team. Mark Cerny is 2 of 2 in terms of balancing console design with cost to performance.

2 for 2 with two Home Runs also! No singles.

NickFire

I'm not yet convinced we will see them return to a single reasonably priced sku for next generation (which would be my preference). But its good they are still planning to make another console for next gen. Competition is good for consumers. Always will be.

lol The leaps are getting smaller and smaller. We would be lucky to get a 40 tflops console in 2027. Thats less than 4x leap. These people need to understand how to set expectations.
Those upgrades are ML & Path Tracing acceleration through bespoke hardware. It's the thing everybody has been raving about since their introduction.

Blackley is a really talented hardware engineer, but he hasn't been with Xbox for a long, long while, so I wouldn't treat his sayings as a confirmation for anything. But at least we have confirmation from Phil(not that, that means much nowadays), that they're working on an ultra powerful Next gen console, so that's something to hold onto for now

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
My wildcard predictions:

Next-Gen Xbox in 2027 with an Intel APU

Next-Gen PlayStation in 2028 with an AMD Chiplet SoC

It shouldn't take you seeing and talking about Sarah Bond to question or criticize DEI though. This thread isn't about corporate politics or diversity in the workplace. Seems out of place for you to bring it up, unless you were questioning her qualifications.
...and I didn't. That was entirely your assumption.

Topher

Gold Member
And?

He is talking about the success of the system/brand. You can have all the power in the world, it comes down to the games. MOST know this.

How has that not been beaten into everyone's heads thoroughly this gen?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Those upgrades are ML & Path Tracing acceleration through bespoke hardware. It's the thing everybody has been raving about since their introduction.
Yeah but they are not gonna give you the biggest leap ever. And PT has a huge cost. On my 3080, i can get from 120 fps down to 20 fps when turning on PT. Why would devs give up 4x more GPU power on more accurate lighting when it go towards better assets, character models, textures, geometry and other things that would make a bigger difference than lighting accuracy.

Never about power :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Almost 50% of GAF's warring is about fucking zoomed in 800% pixels for epeen wars

Welp close down DF now

That's just the forums though. It doesn't really reflect on the market share of the systems. Which the latter is more important to these companies in my opinion.

Topher

Gold Member
Never about power :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Almost 50% of GAF's warring is about fucking zoomed in 800% pixels for epeen wars

Welp close down DF now

In the context of the success of one console over another, it has rarely ever been about power. That's not going to ever stop "epeen wars" from happening though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I know right. How could anyone enjoy a game on less than 40 Terra flops. Disgusting 🤣🤣
Weird post in a thread about the most powerful next gen xbox.

Nobody’s going to make a console starting at $800+

I suspect at that point we’ll see extreme uses of AI in consoles. Stuff like DLSS 3 will pale in comparison with what will be used in 2028. Add that to massively improved Ray tracing performance, faster memory and I/O and you’ve got yourself a significant leap.

They’ll easily be more than 40tf by 2028. The RTX 4080 from 2022 hits 64tf
those are fake tflops. AMD's RDNA3 cards also hit 50 tflops but they are 25 tflops in comparion to PS5 and XSX tflops.

In terms of machine learning and ray tracing capabilities jump can be quite significant

I am not buying machine learning enhancing shit. You will get better quality AA like DLSS but thats about it.

You will always need game designers to make the games. Need game designers to create systems. Look at what nintendo did on a 0.19 tflops switch with Zelda totk. PS5 is literally 50x more powerful and doesnt have anything like that. You might get one company that creates some kind of fancy AI tech but overall tlfops matter and most devs will continue to create games the traditional way and brute force them through the GPU.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Same here, but then if we step back we see XSS outselling XSX. Most ain't like us.
I THINK, ITS MY OPINION, I HAVE NO MONEY ON THE LINE

Just wondering if they are hoping it might move the needle some if they have a monster console ready around the time of GTA6

I don't care about Rockstar and next gen updates or any of that what if this next machine has a great built in DLSS type of feature that no extra dev work is required.

ALL OF THESE THOUGHTS ARE TOTALLY RANDOM BY THE USER AND DO NOT REPRESENT ANYTHING THAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAPPEN.

Topher

Gold Member

Just wondering if they are hoping it might move the needle some if they have a monster console ready around the time of GTA6

I don't care about Rockstar and next gen updates or any of that what if this next machine has a great built in DLSS type of feature that no extra dev work is required.

ALL OF THESE THOUGHTS ARE TOTALLY RANDOM BY THE USER AND DO NOT REPRESENT ANYTHING THAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAPPEN.

My lawyer is going over your disclaimers. I'll get back to you.

My favourite claim [albeit from AMD] about the Xbox One:

This one aged like fine milk in a warm climate.

Didn't they call it a beacon of something?

Edit: No wait that was the Series X. My bad. Messaging was always messed up about Xbox when it came to power.

Last edited:

sounds like something someone with a stake would say

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Guys, I don't know if you are aware of Open AI "Sora", we invite you to take a look for those who do not know the (disturbing) product resulting from AI.

I bring it up here because I wonder if part of that Sarah Bond manifestation of "unseen generational leap" may be based on AI advances in graphics and computing.

I don't know, but that by writing a sentence or phrase you can have a video that is impossible to distinguish from reality... I wonder how something like this will be transferred to game development and video game technology (apart, predictably, from job losses 🙄)

As reference:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
sounds like something someone with a stake would say
Have to protect my investments, I stand to make a lot of money when Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, Apple, Google, Ford, Toyota, Best Buy, WalMart and Texas Roadhouse do well

Actually one of those is a cooperate sponsor of mine but I have been very open with that, and it aint Xbox/MS

Breaking Bad Cooking GIF by The Order of the Egonauts

Last edited:

mckmas8808

...and I didn't. That was entirely your assumption.

But you were the one to bring up DEI, when literally nobody else was talking about it. And you did it for a reason.....

Guys, I don't know if you are aware of Open AI "Sora", we invite you to take a look for those who do not know the (disturbing) product resulting from AI.

I bring it up here because I wonder if part of that Sarah Bond manifestation of "unseen generational leap" may be based on AI advances in graphics and computing.

I don't know, but that by writing a sentence or phrase you can have a video that is impossible to distinguish from reality... I wonder how something like this will be transferred to game development and video game technology (apart, predictably, from job losses 🙄)

As reference:

So hold on...............you mean to tell me this video is fake and is an A.I. creation?

Top Bottom