• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Xbox is on track for 2026; features two SKUs including a Switch-like handheld, it's claimed

Some of us prefer our controllers to last more than an hour

That was a low blow. It's true though I only have two DualSense controllers because of the pound shop battery decision.🤣

fail johnny knoxville GIF by Action Point

Taycan77

When you aren't the market leader (or near enough on par) you will get ports from said market leader. In this case PS5 Pro versions of titles with higher dynamic resolutions and a few more effects. The true next-gen leap will kick-off in 2030 even if we do get PS6 in 2028.

Last edited:

Crayon

I don't buy it. I see one console as a transitional thing. But a handheld seems like a lot of trouble for nothing.

4-5 years should be sufficient to keep the console hardware a bit more current because the cycle we are in now is simply too long and you end up with really old
Hardware towards the end of the cycle
Exactly. Much better than the incremental upgrade of "Pro" consoles, too.

NickFire

4-5 years should be sufficient to keep the console hardware a bit more current because the cycle we are in now is simply too long and you end up with really old
Hell no to 4-5 year cycles. The games themselves often take longer than that to make these days. Never mind the costs of a new cycle on the consumers.

Hudo

Weird. I've been told by GAF experts that Microsoft stopped making consoles.

Last edited:

SNG32

I feel this could work if it’s basically a pc with gamepass. If it’s locked to the gamepass and Xbox ecosystem then these are going to be dead on arrival especially if they are putting there games on Sony and Nintendo.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I feel this could work if it’s basically a pc with gamepass. If it’s locked to the gamepass and Xbox ecosystem then these are going to be dead on arrival especially if they are putting there games on Sony and Nintendo.
Exactly what I wanted a PC to be. No HW upgrades nor SW customisation and locked just to GamePass and Xbox… ok, would wait for Steam Deck 2 if that were the case ;).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You say that because the price of PC parts for the performance you seek keeps on raising bit by bit and people put up with it.

The semiconductor tech industry pace of progress is slowing down (has been for a while) and costs for each new manufacturing process upgrade are increasing as well as designing those chips is increasing.

Releasing more HW more frequently is NOT the answer. The cycles are long for a reason (and developers benefit from stable HW specs and not too many HW configs to target).

Last edited:

Gojiira

Has there actually been any leak saying they are quitting the hardware business or is that just some blue bloods wet dream?
Thats the point…Just like the ‘leak’ in this thread…Its just nonsense noise. Its fucking boring, Idc if its some ‘blue bloods wet dream’, its Xbox fanboys doing all these ‘leaks’ not PS fans, riling themselves up. Hell its Xbox ‘influencers’ who leaked the going third party policy…Such a shitshow.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Thats the point…Just like the ‘leak’ in this thread…Its just nonsense noise. Its fucking boring, Idc if its some ‘blue bloods wet dream’, its Xbox fanboys doing all these ‘leaks’ not PS fans, riling themselves up. Hell its Xbox ‘influencers’ who leaked the going third party policy…Such a shitshow.
I at least brought a well known leaker into the thread I posted about nextgen starting very early for Xbox

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rumo...next-xbox-is-coming-sooner-than-2028.1664724/

Topher

Gold Member
Its why I have been using the term doubling down on hardware, this handheld device started making its rounds a few days ago in whispers.

Ah.......shit.....didn't I say something about it would be cool if MS came out with a handheld a few days ago and you chimed in on that? I gotta find that post now.

Here it is:

Just had a thought (mark the date). Xbox OS available for third parties would work extremely well for handhelds. I could see Asus and Lenovo jumping on that in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
A Microsoft-made handheld with 'consoles' licensed to other hardware manufacturers would be an interesting scenario.

Having different licensed Xbox console hardware versus Playstation would be a bit of an Android v Apple scenario. All Microsoft would need to do is mandate a baseline spec.

Topher

Gold Member
A Microsoft-made handheld with 'consoles' licensed to other hardware manufacturers would be an interesting scenario.

Having different licensed Xbox console hardware versus Playstation would be a bit of an Android v Apple scenario. All Microsoft would need to do is mandate a baseline spec.

That's really getting back to Microsoft's roots in how they approached Windows as well. I think it is smart.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Ah.......shit.....didn't I say something about it would be cool if MS came out with a handheld a few days ago and you chimed in on that? I gotta find that post now.

Here it is:
Yeah I have tried alluding to "new ways to play" and doubling down and even saying more flexible because I knew this handheld thing would be making its rounds and eventually come out

But people are accusing me of trolling now so I will stop, for now :)

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah I have tried alluding to "new ways to play" and doubling down and even saying more flexible because I knew this handheld thing would be making its rounds and eventually come out

But people are accusing me of trolling now so I will stop, for now :)

Trolling? Who said you were trolling?

Edit: Ignore that nonsense man. I know I and others appreciate the insight you bring here.

Last edited:

twilo99

Has there actually been any leak saying they are quitting the hardware business or is that just some blue bloods wet dream?

For whatever reason the hardcore PlayStation fanboyz don't want Microsoft in the console hardware business because...I dunno, maybe it interferes with their Sony based identity, or something, but any competition on the hardware side is simply not tolerated.

2026? Wtf are they thinking? More important. Where the fuck are the games?
Yeah, I bought an Xbox One (at launch!) and it only had a handful of exclusive games I wanted to play over its lifetime. Then I bought a Series X (at launch!) and there has been exactly 1 exclusive game in 3 years that I really wanted to play. Why would I buy the next one?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, new console who dis?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Trolling? Who said you were trolling?

Edit: Ignore that nonsense man. I know I and others appreciate the insight you bring here.
I appreciate the kind words but honestly if people remotely think I am trolling then I will quit.

People can disagree with me all they want but to think I would purposely troll people here, I mean I'm an old dude, I havent done that, well since my playing days I was a pretty big ass actually 30 years ago ;)

Topher

Gold Member
I appreciate the kind words but honestly if people remotely think I am trolling then I will quit.

People can disagree with me all they want but to think I would purposely troll people here, I mean I'm an old dude, I havent done that, well since my playing days I was a pretty big ass actually 30 years ago ;)

Aw man........I'm actually embarassed when I think about how big of an ass I was 30 years ago so you are in good company my man. :messenger_beaming:

Crayon

Well it would be a hybrid to function as the entry model. Problem is the pricing could be high even on this.

Well there's several issues. First of all, this thing might be around Siri's s level performance? So that would mean you have something presumably far more performance than a series x, and your widening the spread to the small console even more than the series this was.

Next, are they trying to steal Nintendo customers? I don't see how that's going to be any easier than enticing PlayStation customers, and they've had no luck doing that. Opposite, actually.

Then, taking on the distinct engineering challenge of making a portable alongside a full console sounds like a lot. Especially after their work on the series x was a bit of a disaster from the standpoint of build cost.

I could see a streaming handheld with mobile built-in. Or I guess a full portable if they're going to go up market with expensive systems for fewer people.

Idk, I've never heard of this guy. It really sounds like someone spitballing.

Its why I have been using the term doubling down on hardware, this handheld device started making its rounds a few days ago in whispers.
I honestly wouldn't even describe this as 'doubling down'.

There is really only one scenario I can envision where a product like this could potentially release and do well in, and tbqh, I don't see the current Xbox team being capable of pulling it off. Even with the handful of timed exclusives they do have planned for this, they are so out of their depth.

But hey, i'm always down for a company to swing for the fences. Watching MS flail has been entertaining for the last 15 years. Ain't my money they are burning chasing windmills.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Good news is that on less than a week we will know what Microsoft Will do with Xbone división

But no matter what way they take Phil won't be there to see the outcome.

IDappa

Why would anyone buy this over a steam deck, switch2, and whatever sony puts out?
Steam deck isn’t really available everywhere ( my region included). I would assume its specs would be catering to higher fidelity over Nintendo software. Also could be cool if this had the ability to access steam also. Be a mix of Xbox/steam handheld. Added bonus if you’re able to dock it to your tv setup with ease. Would be a good reasons get it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom