• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s gaming chief hints that Xbox could get PC stores like Epic Games one day

WitchHunter

Banned
Not following what you are trying to say here. Windows was open from day one and eventually became a dominant monopoly. Are you saying Microsoft should have turned Windows into a closed platform? If so, then US Justice Department would never have allowed that.
Nop.

RickMasters

i still don't see that happening, that means developers / or steam, would have to put in even more work now to make sure all their games are compatible with PC/Deck and now Xbox.

maybe some like steam remote play app or something maybe, but just casually getting your whole library coming over is a bit of a pipe dream. i've got legacy steam games that barely even work on Win11

No more work than they do having to make sure their games run a bazillion different configuration la of PCs……and it’s not the Xbox is not using relatable PC parts ( it’s AMD CPU and GPU for a start) . They have the resources and the tech. It’s not an impossible feat.

I think being x86 and DX based certainly put it in the realm of possibility. I get what you say about windows and it’s many compatibility issues going for in one version of windows to another ( same issues with music production software occasionally as it goes… until the devs do an update) but I think if anybody knows how to navigate those particular caveats it would be MS. I think valve would welcome the idea, personally.

Sleepwalker

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
A standardized PC isn't a bad idea. Steam tried and failed but MS might be able to succeed. I wonder if PC players would be willing to have some games locked down or a completely locked down 'side' OS to prevent cheating?

Topher

Gold Member
A standardized PC isn't a bad idea. Steam tried and failed but MS might be able to succeed. I wonder if PC players would be willing to have some games locked down or a completely locked down 'side' OS to prevent cheating?

All depends on what price and what compromises we are talking about. Cheating prevention should be fine for most, but then is that going to prevent mods? How much control at the OS level will gamers have? Are we talking about a gaming device that has specific selected PC storefronts? Microsoft isn't going to make nearly as much money selling games unless the storefronts agree to some sort of revenue sharing deal. Otherwise, MS going to try and make money on hardware? Sounds expensive.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I want competition. I don't want open platforms for consoles because I believe it will lead to higher priced consoles.
With genuine hardware advancements slowing down, you’ll be paying more every generation moving forward anyway. It’s why we haven’t seen a major revision of either console platform to lower the price. So, if new consoles are going to be more expensive regardless, we’ll need store options to prevent the platform holders like Sony from arbitrarily raising their software prices like they did this Gen to make up the profit difference.

reinking

Gold Member
With genuine hardware advancements slowing down, you’ll be paying more every generation moving forward anyway. It’s why we haven’t seen a major revision of either console platform to lower the price. So, if new consoles are going to be more expensive regardless, we’ll need store options to prevent the platform holders like Sony from arbitrarily raising their software prices like they did this Gen to make up the profit difference.
Sure prices will increase, just like the price of milk increases. It is pretty well known that console makers subsidize consoles for software sales and being more expensive can be by very different amounts. I am not sure why all of a sudden everyone wants consoles to not be consoles? Is this the Epic or MS effect?

wait, did I read this wrong? . is phil not saying that Xbox will get a PC storefront but other storefronts coming inside the Xbox console?

ZehDon

Gold Member
Sure prices will increase, just like the price of milk increases. It is pretty well known that console makers subsidize consoles for software sales and being more expensive can be by very different amounts. I am not sure why all of a sudden everyone wants consoles to not be consoles? Is this the Epic or MS effect?
That’s not why at all. Milk doesn’t rely on the continued miniaturisation of technology to progress. Consoles are getting more expensive and larger because it’s harder and harder to shrink transistors smaller and smaller. It’s why the size of high end graphics cards have increase by an order or magnitude. Process shrinks are now more expensive, not cheaper. Hence no hardware revisions this generation for a price cut. PS6 and Xbox-whatever will simply be more expensive because it’s the only way to deliver more power. The idea of Sony taking PS3-level hits on a unit sold is pretty laughable.

reinking

Gold Member
That’s not why at all. Milk doesn’t rely on the continued miniaturisation of technology to progress. Consoles are getting more expensive and larger because it’s harder and harder to shrink transistors smaller and smaller. It’s why the size of high end graphics cards have increase by an order or magnitude. Process shrinks are now more expensive, not cheaper. Hence no hardware revisions this generation for a price cut. PS6 and Xbox-whatever will simply be more expensive because it’s the only way to deliver more power. The idea of Sony taking PS3-level hits on a unit sold is pretty laughable.
And do you think consoles opening up to 3rd party markets is the answer? I would disagree with that. Like I asked, why do people suddenly want consoles to no longer be consoles? There is already a device that plays games from multiple store fronts.

Topher

Gold Member
wait, did I read this wrong? . is phil not saying that Xbox will get a PC storefront but other storefronts coming inside the Xbox console?

Yes. Seems Xbox is becoming more PC-like which changes the entire dynamic of the console business for Xbox. Phil Spencer talks as if this is an industry thing, but realistically it is a game sales volume thing. I don't think Microsoft is getting the return on game sales that warrant selling consoles at a loss. So I think Microsoft is pivoting away from that model to one where the money to be made is partially in games sold on their store by putting their store at the forefront and other stores behind, but also selling hardware for profit which means much higher prices.

So what does this do?

1) Relieves the pressure off of studios to make games that sell consoles. Fits with their third party strategy as well.
2) Creates a hybrid PC-console model with more freedom to play PC games but still in a simple form factor
3) Allows for a Steam Deck type handheld as well

So the selling point here is an all-in-one unit that incorporates PC and console games in one device. That's going to come at a cost. Remember Sarah Bond bragging about the next Xbox having “the largest technical leap you will have ever seen in a hardware generation". That's going to be your $1000 PC-console hybrid.

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Yes. Seems Xbox is becoming more PC-like which changes the entire dynamic of the console business for Xbox. Phil Spencer talks as if this is an industry thing, but realistically it is a game sales volume thing. I don't think Microsoft is getting the return on game sales that warrant selling consoles at a loss. So I think Microsoft is pivoting away from that model to one where the money to be made is partially in games sold on their store by putting their store at the forefront and other stores behind, but also selling hardware for profit which means much higher prices.

So what does this do?

1) Relieves the pressure off of studios to make games that sell consoles. Fits with their third party strategy as well.
2) Creates a hybrid PC-console model with more freedom to play PC games but still in a simple form factor
3) Allows for a Steam Deck type handheld as well

So the selling point here is an all-in-one unit that incorporates PC and console games in one device. That's going to come at a cost. Remember Sarah Bond bragging about the next Xbox having “the largest technical leap you will have ever seen in a hardware generation". That's going to be your $1000 PC-console hybrid.
...yeah that sounds very weird. Like, trying to create a market segment that doesn't exist because it will be extremely niche.

ZehDon

Gold Member
And do you think consoles opening up to 3rd party markets is the answer?...
I didn't pose a question. You said you don't want consoles to be more expensive so I explained how they're going to be more expensive regardless. The issue this thread is about boils down to the cost of games: in all digital future, without multiple storefronts to provide pricing competition, companies like Sony will simply raise the price of games on their platform higher and higher to extend their profit margins to provide the illusion of growth. Physical is on its last legs - unless customers want to pay USD$120 for a digital game locked to one platform, multiple storefronts is something the market will need sooner rather than later.

Topher

Gold Member
...yeah that sounds very weird. Like, trying to create a market segment that doesn't exist because it will be extremely niche.

Extremely weird. But yeah.....that's exactly what it sounds like they are trying to do. Create a market segment. But even a niche market segment can make money, a la Rog Ally, Legion Go, etc.

But I've said at least a dozen times on these forums that Microsoft can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results. This is definitely not doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Extremely weird. But yeah.....that's exactly what it sounds like they are trying to do. Create a market segment. But even a niche market segment can make money, a la Rog Ally, Legion Go, etc.

But I've said at least a dozen times on these forums that Microsoft can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results. This is definitely not doing the same thing.
:pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking: It's one of those things that sound like it has a lot of exciting potential for the 'hardcore gamer, but, as with everything, it's going to depend on the execution

bigdad2007

What I could see working is charging people a monthly sub to get an “unlocked” Xbox experience where it more or less turns the console into a windows pc.

I don’t see what other scenario it would make sense for other stores to be on there. If they would be running in the proprietary Xbox architecture either epic/steam would have to program in compatibility and/or devs also would.

Why would they do this when it would primarily be for people to play games they already purchased and there would be no revenue incentive?

Kataploom

Gold Member
So the next Xbox will just be a PC?
Tbf the advantages of closed hardware have been diminishing a lot since this generation, you don't see same miracles as in previous gen with consoles hitting above their weights anymore, that's why I think right now is the best moment for Valve to release a closed console-like PC, with same Steam Deck configuration but primarily designed to run on a screen.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Tbf the advantages of closed hardware have been diminishing a lot since this generation, you don't see same miracles as in previous gen with consoles hitting above their weights anymore, that's why I think right now is the best moment for Valve to release a closed console-like PC, with same Steam Deck configuration but primarily designed to run on a screen.

Valve would then be bringing back the Steam Machine. TBF, that's actually not a bad idea. The concept didn't really take off in 2015, but now I think it would be a lot more popular.

If it was priced correctly and guaranteed to run every game on the Steam store then I'd bite. It'd be cheaper than buying a PC.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Valve would then be bringing back the Steam Machine. TBF, that's actually not a bad idea. The concept didn't really take off in 2015, but now I think it would be a lot more popular.

If it was priced correctly and guaranteed to run every game on the Steam store then I'd bite. It'd be cheaper than buying a PC.
PC gaming with games tailored for the hardware (precompiled shaders, for example, like in Steam Deck) would be great. That would work for Valve but I'm not sure if that would work for next Xbox

SoloCamo

Honestly they can just use the steam deck hardware, put it into a ridiculously small footprint case and sell it for $100-200 less than the deck's equivalent spec model and I'd think it would do well.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Honestly they can just use the steam deck hardware, put it into a ridiculously small footprint case and sell it for $100-200 less than the deck's equivalent spec model and I'd think it would do well.

Love it. I'd buy it. Being able to play PC games for that price would be appealing to a lot of people.

Fingers crossed Valve give it another go.

Love it. I'd buy it. Being able to play PC games for that price would be appealing to a lot of people.

Fingers crossed Valve give it another go.

Would it though? Doesn't SteamOS have issues with a lot of MP games not working? I think that would be a huge issue and I think a lot of people would be pissed if they bought it and discovered COD doesn't work.

Gojiira

Retarded. Xbox cant run native PC games so it would just be a glorified Streaming service you have to pay extra for….Pointless for a console,maybe ok if the next Xbox is handheld.
Either way ay Phil needs to stop huffing his own farts…

Top Bottom