• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s gaming chief hints that Xbox could get PC stores like Epic Games one day

tusharngf

if discounts are great on MS store count me in. EPIC is just killing it in that department. Nothing beats the discounts on epic store. For some reason steam sale discounts were below par. Did not buy a single game on steam this time.

If they did this along with steam they would instantly win next gen.

Financially they would lose it though - they most likely make very little profit on the actual consoles and they would then surrender all the commission in games sales to Steam.

Now, if Steam could make a console for a price similar to PS5 and XBox with a decent controller…………..

Ummm… the console would need to fundamentally change for that to happen. Its not like they can run off the shelf PC versions of these games.

I don’t understand Xbox at all now.
I'd be just like PC games having a Steam badge that says they're compatible with the Deck. No big deal.

Interfectum

Ummm… the console would need to fundamentally change for that to happen. Its not like they can run off the shelf PC versions of these games.

It’s probably a cross buy thing… if you bought it in EGS and there is an Xbox version, that is now unlocked for you to play.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The "shittiest store" has lower prices than the competition.
That is all that matters to me. I want the game for as cheap as possible. I then play it till I am done and don't go back. I give 0 fucks about what store it is on. Playing DD2 on steam. I launch the game from the shortcut on my desktop and don't interact with steam at all.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It’s probably a cross buy thing… if you bought it in EGS and there is an Xbox version, that is now unlocked for you to play.
I imagine this would be a licensing nightmare, contracts probably not written to allow this, I imagine some publishers wouldn't want anything to do with it. Guess if they do create it as some cross buy thing publishers would just have to opt-in.out as they see fit.

It seems Phil is just throwing verbal shit at the wall and hoping something sticks. I presume his endgame is to 'force' Sony into doing the same 🤷‍♂️

Barakov

Gold Member
In the future consoles will have multiple stores. And that's a good thing.
SAYS THE FORTNITE PLAYER
derp GIF

WitchHunter

Banned

If you open up your console... then that's a PC. What I don't get is why didn't they take the Apple route. PC ecosystem was there from the get go, take a 30% cut from all games and that's all. Instead they created Xbox and competed with Sony, but to what avail?

They're already essentially PCs with gaming focussed OSs (both of them). Opening up is something no consumer should oppose. Console fans are so weird... That brand loyalty really messes with people's heads.

If I can get one box that plays everything, and I can choose between several different variants of that one box to get the one that suits my preference (with varying price and power), why would any gamer not be championing that future? One box to rule them all and play PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo and PC games - the dream, right there. Unless you're more invested in someone "winning" than anything, that's the only reason I can think of for some of the takes...

The reason I don't play much on the PC is the whole install, settings, maintenance thing - I can do it, I don't want to. If Microsoft produce an OS that is as simple as an Xbox and can play all formats, hufuckingrah. Steam Deck has opened my eyes fully to how joyous that is. I have a Series X, gaming PC, PS5 and Switch but only really played Xbox mainly. Since I got the Steam Deck I've been catching up on PS5 games I owned but never played (FFVII Remake and God of War so far) and emulating Switch games more than anything else.

I'd be all over this if they do it - my frustration here is that it's way passed time to be talking, get it done.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
If you open up your console... then that's a PC. What I don't get is why didn't they take the Apple route. PC ecosystem was there from the get go, take a 30% cut from all games and that's all. Instead they created Xbox and competed with Sony, but to what avail?

Not following what you are trying to say here. Windows was open from day one and eventually became a dominant monopoly. Are you saying Microsoft should have turned Windows into a closed platform? If so, then US Justice Department would never have allowed that.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They're already essentially PCs with gaming focussed OSs (both of them). Opening up is something no consumer should oppose. Console fans are so weird... That brand loyalty really messes with people's heads.

If I can get one box that plays everything, and I can choose between several different variants of that one box to get the one that suits my preference (with varying price and power), why would any gamer not be championing that future? One box to rule them all and play PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo and PC games - the dream, right there. Unless you're more invested in someone "winning" than anything, that's the only reason I can think of for some of the takes...

The reason I don't play much on the PC is the whole install, settings, maintenance thing - I can do it, I don't want to. If Microsoft produce an OS that is as simple as an Xbox and can play all formats, hufuckingrah. Steam Deck has opened my eyes fully to how joyous that is. I have a Series X, gaming PC, PS5 and Switch but only really played Xbox mainly. Since I got the Steam Deck I've been catching up on PS5 games I owned but never played (FFVII Remake and God of War so far) and emulating Switch games more than anything else.

I'd be all over this if they do it - my frustration here is that it's way passed time to be talking, get it done.

An open console that "plays everything" is a pipe dream at the current price point. If Microsoft is willing to create an open version of Xbox where other vendors such as Steam can sell their games without sharing a dime with MS then that means MS has to make money on the hardware. We are talking about consoles closer to $1k than $500. Very well could be that Microsoft plans on going down that road with the rumors that OEMs might be making their consoles in the future. Hard to say as Phil Spencer is just being a cryptic as always here.

DragonNCM

An open console that "plays everything" is a pipe dream at the current price point. If Microsoft is willing to create an open version of Xbox where other vendors such as Steam can sell their games without sharing a dime with MS then that means MS has to make money on the hardware. We are talking about consoles closer to $1k than $500. Very well could be that Microsoft plans on going down that road with the rumors that OEMs might be making their consoles in the future. Hard to say as Phil Spencer is just being a cryptic as always here.
Actually it is more simple as you think, you just need to set ini file according to Xbox hardware spec & run the game with that settings (ofc plus some minor tweaks in game, exe file & other crap)
I think this will be wet dream next 5 years)

Topher

Gold Member
Actually it is more simple as you think, you just need to set ini file according to Xbox hardware spec & run the game with that settings (ofc plus some minor tweaks in game, exe file & other crap)
I think this will be wet dream next 5 years)

I wasn't saying it wasn't possible from a technical standpoint. I'm saying an platform open Xbox wouldn't be able to depend on game subsidies and so Microsoft would have to sell the hardware at a profit to make money.

NickFire

I thought this sounded plausible at first but I'm a little more skeptical now. This might actually make things worse for that walled garden. It would create a huge risk of their hardware being purchased just to make it easier to play traditional PC games form the couch. I can only speak for myself, but it would not be anything to do with Xbox if I bought a console that played Steam (or Epic) games in a console environment.

RickMasters

Yes. I want access to Steam on my PS6.

In this future consoles will just be PCs.....but shit PCs without the functionality of an actual PC.
I doubt Sony will ever go this route…. Same applies to Nintendo here…. They would never accept other stores in their consoles.

Xbox on the other hand….. sure looks more and more like that. And given their PC background and shift in strategy.

I’d be cool with as it means I would have my Xbox and steam accounts on the same box.

StueyDuck

This is definitely a classic Phil speaking out of both corners of his mouth..

He's just tryna placate all the fans now that are "die hard" pc players now like colty eastboy and jezzy doo doo.

I imagine if anything like that were to happen there would be extremely heavy caveats

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Meant to say to make a better storefront, the current one is just not good enough if they want to compete with Steam. I just think it’s funny that they cannot come up with one which consumers will be happy to use. Microsoft are software gods, so that they get beaten by Steam so easily is just showing they didn’t put enough effort in it.
They launched with GFWL and paid online. It's a long road to walk back from that.

RickMasters

I thought this sounded plausible at first but I'm a little more skeptical now. This might actually make things worse for that walled garden. It would create a huge risk of their hardware being purchased just to make it easier to play traditional PC games form the couch. I can only speak for myself, but it would not be anything to do with Xbox if I bought a console that played Steam (or Epic) games in a console environment.

I think it’s a brilliant idea. I sub and buy games on Xbox, also buy games on PC…. But right now what would be nice is being able to play games from both my accounts on one box. I can play halo or forza on my PC with my save files shared. When I buy an MS game it’s available to me on my PC. The real kicker here though?…. Potentially playing the PS games in my steam account on my Xbox natively…..

Imagine going through your digital library and you got gears next to god of war…. Already do it on PC but doing that from my Xbox in my living room would be fantastic, for sure. One box for all my games and accounts. I hope this all comes to fruition.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I think it’s a brilliant idea. I sub and buy games on Xbox, also buy games on PC…. But right now what would be nice is being able to play games from both my accounts on one box. I can play halo or forza on my PC with my save files shared. When I buy an MS game it’s available to me on my PC. The real kicker here though?…. Potentially playing the PS games in my steam account on my Xbox natively…..

Imagine going through your digital library and you got gears next to god of war…. Already do it on PC but doing that from my Xbox in my living room would be fantastic, for sure. One box for all my games and accounts. I hope this all comes to fruition.

And how you think these games are going to run on your xbox?

djjinx2

Sounds like a game changer for me being a front room console only player. Then add in a handheld Xbox that does similar. I'd be all in

RickMasters

I said this earlier. That's a bold move to get playstation games on the Xbox through stream. I what Sony Wil try and do to counter this.
They don’t have to do anything. Sony fans are Sony fans at the end of the day.

The casuals tend to just go wherever COD and fortnight is, at the best price ( though I do think COD on gamepass is going to sway a lot of people when it happens…. I could be wrong and that’s fine, just taking a stab at seeing where things go for them from here)

The thing I’m curious about is how does this influence the design of the console itself if true. I really like the idea of my Xbox and steam on one console though. The idea of owning multiple consoles is just not something that I care for anymore. Just give me the store fronts, and one box to access all the games from all those store.

Imagine if you could have your PSN, steam, Xbox and even Nintendo store fronts on one machine. You would not see the point in buying multiple boxes. And honestly I think that’s better from a consumer standpoint….. you SHOULD be able to play Zelda or Mario kart or xenogears on the same box you might play a helldivers 2 or a gears or halo or a gran turismo on one box.

RickMasters

And how you think these games are going to run on your xbox?
That’s not for me to figure out. I’m just a gamer. 🤷🏾‍♂️

But for shits and giggles I’ll take a stab at it.

Let’s assume it’s next gen, for a moment… new gen of CPUs and GPU, no? So power is not gonna be the issue is it?

Don’t PlayStation games on PC use windows specific code like Vulcan and DX already? I’m no dev but aren’t all PC games made with either DX or Vulcan… but mostly DX…. DX is also Xbox friendly isn’t it? So therefore an Xbox can play the DX PC port of these games. It’s already a an X86 based machine….power / performance is not issue and neither is the CODE for the game la as long as they already exist as PC ports. Again I’m no dev so I’m not gonna tell you how it would run on Xbox. But MS engineers and devs know how it work dont they?

StueyDuck

Xbox fandom always surprises me

do these people realise that Sony are still publishers right? like they would either just pull their games from steam or simply not allow steam to add them to xbox skus if they didn't want it (who even says sony doesn't want those sales)

the fandom really are morons.

Last edited:

Pop

So a PC?

And I'm still not sold on Xbox making a new box. If Steam ever somehow gets put on an Xbox console, it will be heavily restricted. That's including Playstation, they would block.

Some of these diehards are literally going crazy

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I doubt Sony will ever go this route…. Same applies to Nintendo here…. They would never accept other stores in their consoles.

Xbox on the other hand….. sure looks more and more like that. And given their PC background and shift in strategy.

I’d be cool with as it means I would have my Xbox and steam accounts on the same box.

To be honest, if Microsoft released a "console" that had full access to Steam, GOG and EGS, then I'd seriously consider it. Especially if it was a hybrid like the Switch.

NickFire

I would also be very interested in a console that I could play Steam games on. My point is this sounds risky for MS. Do they really want customers like me who would be using their consoles as a gateway to Steam? And do they want people associating their brand as such a gateway? I really don't know the answer to either question. I just know that I'm interested in the concept specifically to play Steam games in console environment.

StueyDuck

if anything... I see microsoft making an Xbox branded steam deck and i mean that very literally. So not just a portable but striking a deal with steam to develop a portable that can boot both SteamOS and some version of windows os they use for either the xbox or mobile devices.

I can't imagine you would simply just start up the xbox and look at games and it has buy from steam or buy from MS buttons next to each other.

Last edited:

RickMasters

if anything... I see microsoft making an Xbox branded steam deck and i mean that very literally. So not just a portable but striking a deal with steam to develop a portable that can boot both SteamOS and some version of windows os they use for either the xbox or mobile devices.

I can't imagine you would simple just start up the xbox and look at games and it has buy from steam or buy from MS buttons next to each other.

I’d imagine steam would have its own installer/app/ section to access our steam libraries from in the box. The main Xbox OS would still be running the show so naturally things would still be as they are only steam games would be accessed and downloaded via some kind of separate app in the console. Just like we do in PCs now.

reinking

Gold Member
I've always found it odd how many gamers seem to desperately want no competition. In their ideal world, PlayStation is the only console and Steam is the only storefront. They seem to miss that these platforms got better because they had to fight their competitors.
I want competition. I don't want open platforms for consoles because I believe it will lead to higher priced consoles.

StueyDuck

I’d imagine steam would have its own installer/app/ section to access our steam libraries from in the box. The main Xbox OS would still be running the show so naturally things would still be as they are only steam games would be accessed and downloaded via some kind of separate app in the console. Just like we do in PCs now.
i still don't see that happening, that means developers / or steam, would have to put in even more work now to make sure all their games are compatible with PC/Deck and now Xbox.

maybe some like steam remote play app or something maybe, but just casually getting your whole library coming over is a bit of a pipe dream. i've got legacy steam games that barely even work on Win11

Last edited:
Top Bottom