• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Not Moving Away from Physical Games" says Phil Spencer

Topher

Gold Member
We forgive you, king!
dont-talk-with-your-mouth-full-malik-payne.gif

phant0m

Dunno if he's been in a gameslop lately, but the 3 biggest stores in a 25 mile radius of my house in the northeast have a grand total of like 14 XSX games.

//DEVIL//

"Gaming consoles themselves have kind of become the last consumer electronic device that has a drive,"

Wait is this true ?

They no longer make Blue Ray players ?

How are the consoles the last electronic device that has a drive. I find this fascinating and I never thought about it.

Killjoy-NL

If you still believe anything coming out of this fat idiot’s mouth these days, you need to have a word with yourself.
Maybe it has more to do with Xbox bringing games to Playstation and Nintendo.

Since physical games still sell well on those platforms, perhaps Sony and Nintendo demand physical releases for Xbox games on their platform.

Might as well keep it around on their own platform then.

Raonak

Banned
IIRC; "Every screen is an xbox"

so technically you can include, physical PS5/Switch games as xbox games....?

Valedix

fwiw Xbox first party games have always just been paperweights, you still need to download the whole other half of the game. I expect all first party games to go digital only in 1-2 years.

xrnzaaas

physical box with a key code in it

haha.
This is very annoying actually. I buy pretty much only PS4/PS5 physical releases and the base games have always been on disc with maybe some DLC's as codes. I recently bought the Dishonored/Prey collection for the XONE/XSX and it turns out only 2 games are on discs and the other 2 are a single use redeem codes for the digital versions. Safe to say it's going to be some time before I decide to buy another Series release in retail form.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

Yet most of your high scoring Series X games don't have them. Either put them on store shelves for Xbox instead of porting them to other systems or shut it.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I would love if you could have physical games added to your digital account…
That was part of the original Xbone plan. People freaked out about it because MS presented it all as them controlling the market for used game sales. If they put a unique key on a disk and let the user transfer the license from the disk to their account then this could be done. The Xbone plan didn't work 2 ways and the technology to write a unique key to a disk and read it would need to be developed but it is not unachievable. Heck a camera in the disk drive could be used to read a printed serial number/ barcode.

panda-zebra

Am I being stupid or is the quote in the title a complete fabrication? It's nowhere in the source.
You're not. The closest thing he was quoted on that fits the title is this:

"getting rid of physical, that's not a strategic thing for us"

Which could simply mean it's a practical thing rather than a strategic one. Or it could mean it's not happening at all. It basically could mean anything and that's just typical Spencer PR - interpret it in which ever way reassures you about the situation, as intended.

But when he says "our job in running Xbox is to deliver on the things that a majority of the customers want. And right now, a majority of our customers are buying games digitally." there's really no double-speak. He's saying xbox is going to cater to the majority - a majority that chooses digital when they purchase. That couldn't be further away from the thread title.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
"Gaming consoles themselves have kind of become the last consumer electronic device that has a drive,"

Wait is this true ?

They no longer make Blue Ray players ?

How are the consoles the last electronic device that has a drive. I find this fascinating and I never thought about it.
To be fair, You can probably buy a new floppy disc drive if you shop around, but I think realistically speaking, movies and TV shows come through the internet, not on a disc. To put it another way, everyone I know used to have a DVD player. Now, I don't think I know anyone in real life who has one.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
If that's the truth why did you close down departments dedicated to bringing games to retailers? Why does your FTC filing show a mid gen refresh without Disc Drive? And why are we receiving reports that retailers are winding down the physical games section for Xbox?

Hmmm?

Last edited:

BlackTron

But when he says "our job in running Xbox is to deliver on the things that a majority of the customers want. And right now, a majority of our customers are buying games digitally." there's really no double-speak. He's saying xbox is going to cater to the majority - a majority that chooses digital when they purchase. That couldn't be further away from the thread title.

Yeah and this was even quoted in the OP with zero self-awareness of how it contradicts the title. Unless....lol

I mean everyone just jumps on the bandwagon for a drive by post every time anyway so it's not even like this is an objectively wrong technique, this trolling where you aren't even sure if trolling is an art. Edit: Only just now fully woke up this morning and realized who made the thread doh lol

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Xbox will certainly be the first to go all digital,just depends how Sony respond.
Sony would have to consciously make the decision to abandon the Japanese market if they ever go full digital because the physical games market is still pretty strong over there they still get physical games releases for games we don't over here.

Top Bottom