• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says Team XBOX have a “plan” to “win” the next generation

Kagey K

Banned
The PS3 outsold the XBOX 360 .

So when was XBOX the 'king' ?
we don’t have the final 360 numbers and the ones released that showed PS3 “winning” were reported long after the 360 was discontinued, and MS stopped giving numbers.

Even if the PS3 did eventually pull ahead, it’s a Pyrrhic victory after the success of the PS2, and not at all what I imagine “winning” to look like.

But we are beating a dead horse here.

Last edited:

LMJ

Kagey K Kagey K , whether a contestant wins the race by thier previous record or by a mili-second, a win is a win...

As for the thread, based on the other thread talking about Microsoft offering again pass package I could see them potentially offering A significant discount as long as you signed up for an extended service similar to those of cell phones...

IE two years of ultra gamepass will drop $100 off the full price or something like that...

If Microsoft were able to make this thing $300 something there is a very good chance they could take the generation based on price alone especially if we head into a significant recession as some are expecting...

Kagey K

Banned
Kagey K Kagey K , whether a contestant wins the race by thier previous record or by a mili-second, a win is a win...

Except we don’t know the final time for both competitors.

We have an absolute for one, and a best estimation for the other that varies wildly.

Either way the rest of my post still stands.

If almost going broke and selling off most of your assets to stay afloat isn’t a Pyrrhic victory, I don’t want to win.

LMJ

I agree if you want to break it down that Sony likely doesn't see much of the PS3 generation as a victory, but almost all metrics do show the PS3 won in sales (the original point of the post)

As for "the return of the king" stuff, I will once again point out MS has been the Spec king for years now...the OneX?!?

I dont get the "MS has the best specs again" silliness. They've had it for a while, why we ignoring the awesome X people?

sendit

1. Halo
  2. Gears
  3. Forza
  4. Forza Horizon
  5. Quantum Break
  6. Ori Franchise
  7. Sunset Overdrive
  8. Sea Of Thieves
  9. ReCore
  10. Killer Instinct
  11. Rare Replay
  12. Ryse: Son Of Rome
Its really disingenuous to act act though Microsoft did not have any good games last generation. Their lineup was certainly not up to the level of Sony--not even close, but its not like they put out nothing the entire generation. And I am not sure where your comment about scams come from. What game exactly was a scam? I'm not following you there.

keram

I Want To Win This Generation,' Says Xbox Boss Phil Spencer in 2014

So the same Plan as already 2014 ? Mhhh ...

esp-blog-insanity5-1.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Except we don’t know the final time for both competitors.

We have an absolute for one, and a best estimation for the other that varies wildly.

Either way the rest of my post still stands.

If almost going broke and selling off most of your assets to stay afloat isn’t a Pyrrhic victory, I don’t want to win.

Even under that skewed and stretched scenario... it is what made PS4 possible and the profits it (mostly PSN) generated this generation are unprecedented for the PS business.

Kokoloko85

I thought Xbox wasnt competing with Playstation and Nintendo?

MS is the company of mixed messages, playing nice friendly guy and when they think they have a advatnage it turns into a war again lol....

Xbox fans and phill himself have to realise they wont ever win a console war. Even if they “become friends” with gaming journalists and channels lol.

Xbox will never be as successful as they once were with xbox 360. The only reason xbox 360 had a 4 year success over PS3 was because the xbox 360:

1. Released a a whole year ahead of PS3

2. Cheaper than the PS3

3. Easier to develop for than PS3

4. The boom of online gaming, online store, indies, DLC which playstation didnt have any at the time.

5. Having loads of Playstation associated games for the first time, like Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 5, Tekken, Final Fantasy, Street fighter IV.

6. Having the better performance for most 3rd party games

7. Playstation launching horribly and all the bad press it got those days.

8. Also I got reminded recently by a neogaf poster: Xbox 360 had a 54% defect rate.

Had it not been for those high defect rates, 360 would have sold closer to the 40 million consoles XBONEX has. There is really not an 75 million base for XBOX outside of rebuying their consoles at such an alarming rate.

ruvikx

Banned

MS is the company of mixed messages, playing nice friendly guy and when they think they have a advatnage it turns into a war again lol....

Xbox fans and phill himself have to realise they wont ever win a console war. Even if they “become friends” with gaming journalists and channels lol.

Xbox will never be as successful as they once were with xbox 360. The only reason xbox 360 had a 4 year success over PS3 was because the xbox 360:

2. Cheaper than the PS3

4. The boom of online gaming, online store, indies, DLC which playstation didnt have any at the time.

5. Having loads of Playstation associated games for the first time, like Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 5, Tekken, Final Fantasy, Street fighter IV.

8. Also I got reminded recently by a neogaf poster: Xbox 360 had a 54% defect rate.

Had it not been for those high defect rates, 360 would have sold closer to the 40 million consoles XBONEX has. There is really not an 75 million base for XBOX outside of rebuying their consoles at such an alarming rate.

Look around you, i.e. before basing your prediction on past generations, you need to realize the social economic situation we're all in due to coronavirus. Europe (traditionally Sony stronghold) is getting hit hard & the recession is going to change people's spending habits. Ditto in North America there is now massive unemployment. Neither manufacturer should assume similar sales next gen are possible, not in this economy.

If by win they mean compete and not get totally blown out then I believe him.

I doubt the XSX can outsell PS5.
The Play Station Brand is like Toyota. You know you can rely on it to get you there.
The Xbox brand is like a Sports car brand. Its exciting but (it's 1st Party) is less reliable and lots of unknowns.

lol

It's overrated.
The ONE X is already sold at a lower price than the Pro.
The ONE S is always cheaper than the PS4.
A cheap and unpopular brand cannot be likened to a sports car.
And you seem to have completely forgotten that XBOX ONE is slower than PS4.

Well, it might be able to be called a cheap sports car made in China if it dares to say.

Tsukumo

399? maybe for the "lockhart" or whatever it's called. It would explain why they haven't talked about it until now, especially if they are shooting for a 500 console and if ps5 is going to hit at lower price.

Genx3

lol

It's overrated.
The ONE X is already sold at a lower price than the Pro.
The ONE S is always cheaper than the PS4.
A cheap and unpopular brand cannot be likened to a sports car.
And you seem to have completely forgotten that XBOX ONE is slower than PS4.

Well, it might be able to be called a cheap sports car made in China if it dares to say.

Wow the analogy flew right over your fanboy head.

Caio

If MS will release a XBox "Series S" at $299, they might win in NA; in the Global I don't think, and I don't even care, I just want a much more competitive XBox and new games.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Give me more AA-type games, which are criminaly absent this gen and I am happy, no need to make one game/per gen/per studio...in my humble right opinion.

INC

I agree if you want to break it down that Sony likely doesn't see much of the PS3 generation as a victory, but almost all metrics do show the PS3 won in sales (the original point of the post)

As for "the return of the king" stuff, I will once again point out MS has been the Spec king for years now...the OneX?!?

I dont get the "MS has the best specs again" silliness. They've had it for a while, why we ignoring the awesome X people?

Because consumers ignored it too, by like 50 million

kyoji

2. Cheaper than the PS3

BIG FACTS. Noone wants to talk about that though. But you always here about how xbox one botched its launch and thus gave ps4 an advantage... yada yada yada.. yet ps3 botched its launch, came out a year later and STILL pulled ahead. The mixed messaging is also on point, sony isnt competition, then they are competition when they think they have a shot. Dont be suprised if you see tweets in the early months of MS sharing hardware numbers either, since for that 1st year of PS5/ XSX sales will be very close and not a real indicator of whats really to come.

I posted this in another thread but im going to repost it here as well, because this is how MS PR and most of its fanbase (not everyone) act:

7JFTlqY.jpg

ZywyPL

Banned
BIG FACTS. Noone wants to talk about that though. But you always here about how xbox one botched its launch and thus gave ps4 an advantage... yada yada yada.. yet ps3 botched its launch, came out a year later and STILL pulled ahead. The mixed messaging is also on point, sony isnt competition, then they are competition when they think they have a shot. Dont be suprised if you see tweets in the early months of MS sharing hardware numbers either, since for that 1st year of PS5/ XSX sales will be very close and not a real indicator of whats really to come.

I posted this in another thread but im going to repost it here as well, because this is how MS PR and most of its fanbase (not everyone) act:

7JFTlqY.jpg

This picture never gets old, I laugh hard every time I see it xD

But truth be told, aside console wars and fanboys who fight them, Sony, Nintendo, MS, are in this business, I repeat - BUSINESS, for one purpose - to make money. One billion of dollars is one billion of dollars, regardless if it comes from current-gen hardware, previous-gen hardware, PC, smartphones etc. If the strategy MS took works for them, a.k.a. it prints money, then there is absolutely no reason they should change it, only so the Xbots can brag about on the web how much "their" console sold.

Kokoloko85

7JFTlqY.jpg
Lool that is jokes and true for the pr and alot of fans :)
Yep the first year or 2 will be close for sure. The games will drop and the gap will happen worldwide

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
If MS will release a XBox "Series S" at $299, they might win in NA; in the Global I don't think, and I don't even care, I just want a much more competitive XBox and new games.

Xbox All Access might win them the world. It's the cell phone approach, pay $25 a month for two years for an XSX and Game Pass Ultimate. It's a no-brainer.

GiJoint

If Xbox outguns PlayStation World wide then yes, bragging rights aplenty but right now, no one should be getting ahead of themselves because we are still in a generation where they have been comprehensively destroyed like someone bent over in prison. A proper reaming.

JasonVA

ill happily switch to xbox, but they need to give some games. Look at the diverse playstation line up of game series, where is xbox's God of war? uncharted? last of us? etc

we cant just play halo forever, something new please.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
I don't want Xbox to be number one because they would end up getting lazy.

It's the hunger that drove things like BC, Game Pass, and One X. STAY HUNGRY and don't get lazy.

"See that look in their eyes, Rock? You gotta get that look back, Rock." - Apollo Creed

thelastword

Banned
I don't think MS having a plan has been the issue.....I think MS has had a plan to win since OG XBOX.....The real question is whether MS has the right plan to win...

Dane

It's the hunger that drove things like BC, Game Pass, and One X. STAY HUNGRY and don't get lazy.

"See that look in their eyes, Rock? You gotta get that look back, Rock." - Apollo Creed

But I don't want Sony to get lazy too, so our hope is that Intellivision Amico BTFO all of them.

DaMonsta

Currently seems this is the most serious/focused Microsoft has been on gaming ever.

Don’t think they will “win” as far as worldwide hardware sales but I do think this will be a very successful console cycle for them.

Kokoloko85

we don’t have the final 360 numbers and the ones released that showed PS3 “winning” were reported long after the 360 was discontinued, and MS stopped giving numbers.

Even if the PS3 did eventually pull ahead, it’s a Pyrrhic victory after the success of the PS2, and not at all what I imagine “winning” to look like.

But we are beating a dead horse here.

It might be Pyrrhic victory to some but to others it was a bigger victory than what the PS2 done.

To alot of people, the PS3 and Playstation was meant to die. Maybe even Sony as a whole
Just go back and look a decade ago and you’ll see how much negative and doom press the Playstation and Sony was getting. In alot of people’s eyes they were dead and soon to be buried.
Especially the American and European Media and narrative was bye bye Playstation, Hail the new King Xbox and MS.

Luckily the turnaround happened,
The PS3 slowly slowly fought back. It won against the odds, against the media and against the tech giant Microsoft. It put its head down and even with the network failures and all its mistakes. It released exclusives after exclusives, month after month. Free gameds with PS +. Then month after month it caught up In sales.

Finally Beating the odds and the Xbox 360.
“Mattrick & co's box of tricks has sold 78.84 million units worldwide so far. Kutaragi's mean machine has sold 80.29 and counting.”
Was the last numbers I Saw. And I doubt the 360 sold 2 million to get closer.
Xbox doesnt disclose its numbers when its lost lol.

Playstation 3 not only outsold the Xbox 360, it beat all the negative media and haters too.

Ps - Fuck Jeff Epstiens Buddy too.... Bill gates lol

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Currently seems this is the most serious/focused Microsoft has been on gaming ever.

Don’t think they will “win” as far as worldwide hardware sales but I do think this will be a very successful console cycle for them.
It wnt be all about console sales next gen. These Kats forget that. Ecosystems and subscriptions.

Last edited:

Recent history has shown that you don’t want any of these companies to have too much success at the expense of the others. MS scrambling to recover from the Xbone reveal gave us the great turnaround. But that reveal and hubris was a result of 360 going toe to toe with Sony and also Kinect success.

Sony during the PS3 era was peak Sony with new IPs and loads of games. But that was born out of them struggling at launch thanks to their laughably high price and difficult system, both because they were so arrogant. And Nintendo of course saw great success with Wii, tried to ride it out with WiiU, failed miserably, and as a result we have a phenomenal system in Switch.

You don’t want anyone to rule with an iron fist, it’s not best for consumers.

GiJoint

Ah come on to those saying it won’t be about console sales. Yes it will - that will always play a role. MS would love to out do Sony worldwide and if they did it would be an amazing turn around and achievement.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Are you saying MS 2014 strategy is the same of MS 2020?
He is. Hilarious innit? The brand has changed so much from 2014 it looks nothing like it. In fact, it looks so different going into 2020, I dont know how anyone can say with any certainty that Sony will dominate again next generation. I legit dont see it happening. Not like this gen.

Xbox has FULL SUPPORT from Microsoft. Something it's NEVER had since its inception. This is an entirely different beast, much like the Series X.

Last edited:
The Sony side of Gaf is so weird. When specs released people were on suicide watch posting new posts about how advanced the SSD was every other hour, and panicking over the performance gap. Then you guys get a nice new looking controller and are back to being as cocky as ever. Already acting like MS doesn't have a chance. Nothing to brag about with an overclocked 9 teraflop machine.

DaMonsta

Ah come on to those saying it won’t be about console sales. Yes it will - that will always play a role. MS would love to out do Sony worldwide and if they did it would be an amazing turn around and achievement.
Yeah, but no.

They want to make money and incubate technology and relationships.

They could “win” the console war by passing out systems but that actually wouldn’t be a “win” in terms of their goals with Xbox.

Kokoloko85

The Sony side of Gaf is so weird. When specs released people were on suicide watch posting new posts about how advanced the SSD was every other hour, and panicking over the performance gap. Then you guys get a nice new looking controller and are back to being as cocky as ever. Already acting like MS doesn't have a chance. Nothing to brag about with an overclocked 9 teraflop machine.

And the xbox side isnt?
Since the playstation spec reveal its all about tflops and power and literally xbots parading like they won something..... Maybe because they are so starved of anything relevant lol

And the xbox side isnt?
Since the playstation spec reveal its all about tflops and power and literally xbots parading like they won something..... Maybe because they are so starved of anything relevant lol
I haven't seen anything of what your talking about. All I see are posts about the XSX, Microsoft, and hoards of Sony fans commenting to downplay any potential they have this next generation.

Iced Arcade

My preferred console is xbox and I don't want them "winning" or in 1st place. I like effort with some hunger, not lazy and complacent.

More powerful hardware with a cheaper price tag, a Halo and throw in Minecraft 2 as an exclusive sequel in a gamepass subscription... that would be pretty damn monstrous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom