• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says Team XBOX have a “plan” to “win” the next generation

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I still can't understand how Xbox fans can run with multiple narratives.

Sales
- It's not just about console sales, it's about subscriptions.

- Xbox now has the power crown, which means they will win next generation

Games
- Exclusives are not that important

- MS is ready next generation with all their new studios. They're going to come out next gen swinging.

I think it's time to stick with one narrative.

Kokoloko85

I haven't seen anything of what your talking about. All I see are posts about the XSX, Microsoft, and hoards of Sony fans commenting to downplay any potential they have this next generation.

Theres fanboys on both sides. You can tell by the threads and posts made, theres some deep enjoyment and attempts and derailing. I am myself a playstation and nintendo fanboy lol

JTCx

Sales

Games

- MS is ready next generation with all their new studios. They're going to come out next gen swinging.

Its not about games anymore. All about dat subcription.

.....oh yeah and teraflops. Lul.

GHG

Sales

Games

The responses are fluid dependant on the discussion.

what is this?
Timmy Tom? Return in 4 days?

Use the SD/HD button on the bottom right for better quality!

Special edition console/controller for cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
3wx7bf.jpg

GiJoint

Yeah, but no.

They want to make money and incubate technology and relationships.

They could “win” the console war by passing out systems but that actually wouldn’t be a “win” in terms of their goals with Xbox.
Yeah, but yes.
How else do they make money and incubate technology and relationships. It’s still a business. You sell units.

Not sure what you mean with your giving away comment when Sony didn’t need to and out did everyone this generation.

Seriously, suggesting Microsoft are cool to hang at the back of the pack and it’s ok if they aren’t winning is on par with a 9TF boost machine being more powerful because of the SSD.

DaMonsta

Yeah, but yes.
How else do they make money and incubate technology and relationships. It’s still a business. You sell units.
You don’t make money off units sold.

Not sure what you mean with your giving away comment when Sony didn’t need to and out did everyone this generation.

Seriously, suggesting Microsoft are cool to hang at the back of the pack and it’s ok if they aren’t winning is on par with a 9TF boost machine being more powerful because of the SSD.
I didn’t say anything about Sony needing to do anything.

Hardware is not the profit driver. Software and services is.

GiJoint

Game Pass on PC. xCloud for mobile devices. That's the ticket. Go to the next 2 billion gamers according to Phil Spencer.

I just want to see them become ruthless and push that Series X out the door. They’ve been doing some really good things recently from the low point of the Xbox one launch. The 360 days in those early years was a brutal show of force...then Kinect, Don Mattrick etc etc

GiJoint

Keeping one customer engaged and spending money is better than having a bunch of customers who aren’t continually spending money.
I see it as they still have some ground to make up and should always have a focus of being number 1.

We won’t agree with each other, so let’s just leave it at that.

DaMonsta

I see it as they still have some ground to make up and should always have a focus of being number 1.

We won’t agree with each other, so let’s just leave it at that.
There’s nothing to agree on.

Hardware sales don’t make a profit. Software and Services do.

They can have a very successful gaming business without leading in console sales.

Jayjayhd34

They can have a very successful gaming business without leading in console sales.

WTF You've just contradicted yourself to access those service they need sell Xbox's unless your saying x cloud and PC will make up for the lack sales outside of UK and us, but that's ludicrous. Lets say they get outsold at same margin as PS4 they would need 45- 50 million subs to compete. Theres no way xcloud and PC will give them even half that, meaning key here is for them sell more xbox's a lot more.

Xbox fanboys are hilarious. Imagine them running football match we cant score goals so we need to change the rules on how to win.

Last edited:

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
If Xbox outguns PlayStation World wide then yes, bragging rights aplenty but right now, no one should be getting ahead of themselves because we are still in a generation where they have been comprehensively destroyed like someone bent over in prison. A proper reaming.
That will never happen. I could see MS taking a goood portion of NA back if they play it right but even then Sony won a shit ton of mind share this gen that will evidentially carry over to next gen as long as they dont have a massive fuck up

ILLtown

Sales

Games

It's fanboys in general. When new consoles come out, if they switch certain key advantages, the fanboys from each side just swap the banners that they wave. It's the same cycle of bullshit repeated over and over again.

GiJoint

That will never happen. I could see MS taking a goood portion of NA back if they play it right but even then Sony won a shit ton of mind share this gen that will evidentially carry over to next gen as long as they dont have a massive fuck up
A huge fuck up because PS3 at launch:
A year late
$600 US
Games looked worse...
Cocky executive team
etc

Cant see them repeating that again.

Dory16

Banned
WTF You've just contradicted yourself to access those service they need sell Xbox's unless your saying x cloud and PC will make up for the lack sales outside of UK and us, but that's ludicrous. Lets say they get outsold at same margin as PS4 they would need 45- 50 million subs to compete. Theres no way xcloud and PC will give them even half that, meaning key here is for them sell more xbox's a lot more.

Xbox fanboys are hilarious. Imagine them running football match we cant score goals so we need to change the rules on how to win.
Unless you own MS shares I really wonder why you care this much about how many boxes they sell. And if you owned shares you would know that it doesn't really matter how many boxes they sell. Your dividends would be more influenced by how much participation there is in the ecosystem made of PC, consoles, cloud and subscription services.
I'm just a gamer, I would take Game pass over all the first party output of Sony this gen (that I also played) and I can't wait for the great games from both manufacturers next gen.

Doesn't selling hardware give those consumers access to software and services?

Therefore selling more hardware can lead to even more software sales and utilization of those services.

That's something we saw with the PS4. I don't see why it can't apply to Xbox as well.

GiJoint

Unless you own MS shares I really wonder why you care this much about how many boxes they sell. And if you owned shares you would know that it doesn't really matter how many boxes they sell. Your dividends would be more influenced by how much participation there is in the ecosystem made of PC, consoles, cloud and subscription services.
I'm just a gamer, I would take Game pass over all the first party output of Sony this gen (that I also played) and I can't wait for the great games from both manufacturers next gen.
It does matter how boxes they sell.

What is with this talk that suddenly it’s ok to languish behind the competition.

TheStruggler

I agree but in the end whats goin to get you more software and services sales.....selling more hardware than the competitor and taking away their market

DaMonsta

1 sub is worth more than one console sale wherever that sub is.

Please stay on topic

DaMonsta

I agree but in the end whats goin to get you more software and services sales.....selling more hardware than the competitor and taking away their market
No. There’s billions of gamers worldwide.

Microsoft doesn’t even have to fight with Sony over their users and can still be very successful

GiJoint

“Part of it”

Not the only or even most important measure of success
I probably should have said big part of it.

They even released an all digital box this generation and isn’t there supposedly a cheaper SKU coming next gen?

Pretty clear they want to sell more units.

DaMonsta

I probably should have said big part of it.

They even released an all digital box this generation and isn’t there supposedly a cheaper SKU coming next gen?

Pretty clear they want to sell more units.
Sure they want to sell units.

For example an all digital console would be more profitable than one with a disc drive.

If they can drive their customers to spend lots of money in the Xbox store, then the number of individual boxes they sell doesn’t matter as much.

GiJoint

Sure they want to sell units.

For example an all digital console would be more profitable than one with a disc drive.

If they can drive their customers to spend lots of money in the Xbox store, then the number of individual boxes they sell doesn’t matter as much.
All good, I hear ya. Cheers bud.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

I don't care myself personally, what way goes.

As I've all stated it does matter how many boxes they sell because that's where majority of subs are going come from, cloud gaming is not taking off anytime soon and the Xbox APP is not well received on PC.

Yea, I think both companies learnt from their biggest fuck ups and they wont repeat mistakes to the magnification of the ones made in the past. Mistakes will still be made but not at a large scale

Kind of like those rumors of the PS5 suffering from something similar to the RROD. I don't expect either to have massive issues with their systems even at launch.

Dory16

Banned
I don't care myself personally, what way goes.

As I've all stated it does matter how many boxes they sell because that's where majority of subs are going come from, cloud gaming is not taking off anytime soon and the Xbox APP is not well received on PC.
You would have to be a pretty anti MS gamer to not own a PC, one of the xboxes or a mobile phone as part of your gaming devices.

Jayjayhd34

You would have to be a pretty anti MS gamer to not own a PC, one of the xboxes or a mobile phone as part of your gaming devices.

Just because you have those devices not mean you investing in gamerpass.

I have XBX no gamerpass anymore because I built pc and haven't turn it on since I complete all the old gears games,

got gamerpass on PC played through sunset over drive and gears 5. ended up needing a new bank card and haven't bothered renewing it since.

Personally the apps fine for me but gets lot flack from pc community, but that's case with anything not steam.

TheStruggler

No. There’s billions of gamers worldwide.

Microsoft doesn’t even have to fight with Sony over their users and can still be very successful
That fact your talking like Phil and think he/you can reach a billion gamers and I say this with all do respect, is really stupid. Didnt he say the xbox one projection was to reach a billion? Give hp the dream it aint happening.

Services and subscriptions is obviously what MS are after, but they do need to sell as many boxes as possible to bring in the cash. The problem is there is also a finite number of consoles sold each generation. MS needs to steal back some gamers from Sony.

This will be their toughest generation yet, because this was the real beginning of the digital age, and it's going to be very hard to pry gamers away from libraries that can easily consist of 100+ games. Sony's ecosystem right now is their hardest challenge, as well as convincing millions of people to buy a 2nd console, especially with the world being as fucked as it is, and will continue to be for a LONG time.

MS are on the right track, and their messaging is extremely strong at the moment, but I think this was the worst gen to come out of the gates whilst shitting the bed.

DaMonsta

That fact your talking like Phil and think he/you can reach a billion gamers and I say this with all do respect, is really stupid. Didnt he say the xbox one projection was to reach a billion? Give hp the dream it aint happening.
Hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think not pursuing the billions of gamers around the world would be stupid.

There’s enough money out there for differing strategies.

Fighting over console sales is antiquated at this point.

TheStruggler

Hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think not pursuing the billions of gamers around the world would be stupid.

There’s enough money out there for differing strategies.

Fighting over console sales is antiquated at this point.
Ok the what if I tell you and its a fact that Sony and even Nintendo have been selling more software than microsoft most of thsi generation....whats there to talk about then that doesnt revolve a medium where purchasing is key for success and growth

Kokoloko85

I own stock in Apple & Microsoft because I believe in them over the very long term. I do not have the same faith in Sony.

Thats a whole different story. We’re talking consoles and the battle between them.
Not which tech giants will rule the world in the future. Of course you’re gonna support and rally behind the company you have physically paid and invested into.

Obviously Apple and Microsoft are here for the longterm just because of Money alone. Its not even a contest worth mentioning because Microsoft has vastly mor money than Sony, not even worth comparing lol

If its the battle of which tech company is here for the long run then thats gonna be, the richer one and the one who‘s former owner is the one of the richest men in the world and who hanged out with pedo Jeff Epstein... Microsoft Lol

What plan? In 3/4 of the world, the Xbox brand is meaningless....

Nobody cares about it outside US and maybe UK...

They can win the generation maybe if they count PC as a console....

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Doesn't selling hardware give those consumers access to software and services?

Therefore selling more hardware can lead to even more software sales and utilization of those services.

That's something we saw with the PS4. I don't see why it can't apply to Xbox as well.

That hardware is already out there - billions of PCs/laptops, along with another billions of smartphones/tablets.

Top Bottom