• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says Team XBOX have a “plan” to “win” the next generation

phil_t98

#SonyToo
this is like saying Sony have a plan. both do but nobody knows yet how next gen will turn out. its a complete reset from the previous gen

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
My suggestion to M$ is to whore out Halo next gen, developing more Halo characters etc. and be happy to being #2 to SONY.

ZywyPL

Banned
Most of their subscriptions come from Xbox though. So it still makes sense for them to try and improve console sales.

They are not yet fully deploying their plan, firstly all those newly acquired studios need to start pulling out the games, because without much content their strategy has not much sense.

They are not yet fully deploying their plan, firstly all those newly acquired studios need to start pulling out the games, because without much content their strategy has not much sense.

Well they need to focus on selling Xbox consoles because that's where most of their subscriptions are coming from. While they will get subscriptions from PC and Mobile, Xbox will always be the biggest and most important source of them.

wolffy71

Banned
There is no performance gap, no amount of good exclusives that will get MS a win in this generation. They will simply not outsell Sony no matter what happens.

xool

They better have a plan.

495642-Winston-Churchill-Quote-Those-who-plan-do-better-than-those-who-do.jpg
Hitler had a plan too.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
And the xbox side isnt?
Since the playstation spec reveal its all about tflops and power and literally xbots parading like they won something..... Maybe because they are so starved of anything relevant lol
Wow! This post takes some stones, for sure. Well done.

I guess we aren't supposed to be ecstatic about power and need Ip's, and Sony fans get to parade around for SSD's and controllers, I guess?

Lol

Gavon West

Ah come on to those saying it won’t be about console sales. Yes it will - that will always play a role. MS would love to out do Sony worldwide and if they did it would be an amazing turn around and achievement.
It really won't be though. Its been said many times that hardware sales are just one part of a much bigger pictire. Subscriptions will be major milestones next gen. Hardware wont be the only measure of success next gen. But they will be included.

Last edited:

Gavon West

So, how else do these software and services reach people to make a profit. You sell units and expand your user base.
Um..... PC and there's this new joint coming out this year called Xcloud. Maybe you've heard of it...

Gavon West

WTF You've just contradicted yourself to access those service they need sell Xbox's unless your saying x cloud and PC will make up for the lack sales outside of UK and us, but that's ludicrous. Lets say they get outsold at same margin as PS4 they would need 45- 50 million subs to compete. Theres no way xcloud and PC will give them even half that, meaning key here is for them sell more xbox's a lot more.

Xbox fanboys are hilarious. Imagine them running football match we cant score goals so we need to change the rules on how to win.
But they really don't NEED to sell consoles to sell software though. Consoles are an option for Microsoft, not the end game. Venues to distribute games and services are. Console is just one way to do that.

You keep mistaking MS for Sony. Sony is deeply dependent on selling hardware as that's a lot of their bread and butter. Xbox will have quite a few avenues to sell software.

But they really don't NEED to sell consoles to sell software though. Consoles are an option for Microsoft, not the end game. Venues to distribute games and services are. Console is just one way to do that.

You keep mistaking MS for Sony. Sony is deeply dependent on selling hardware as that's a lot of their bread and butter. Xbox will have quite a few avenues to sell software.

That's because they know they can't win the console battle. So they started releasing everything on PC

But you are not winning if you are changing the rules of the game. You are playing something else entirely...

Gavon West

It does matter how boxes they sell.

What is with this talk that suddenly it’s ok to languish behind the competition.
Well they need to focus on selling Xbox consoles because that's where most of their subscriptions are coming from. While they will get subscriptions from PC and Mobile, Xbox will always be the biggest and most important source of them.
False. Again, software and services. Xbox is the platform for games and services to be distributed. Consoles are only one way to do it.

WTF is so hard to understand here? Holy shit..

GiJoint

Ok then Gavon, that’s why they have more SKUs this gen IE all digital edition and 2 consoles next gen. But they really don’t need to sell consoles, it’s not important to them. And can you just quote all my posts in one please. Holy shit...

Gavon West

That's because they know they can't win the console battle. So they started releasing everything on PC

But you are not winning if you are changing the rules of the game. You are playing something else entirely...
Exactly!!!

They've changed the game a while ago. They include consoles for those who choose that kind of experience. Its not the be all end all anymore. They just want touch in their ecosystems spending money. They're giving gamers a plethora of ways to do that. That's why consoles are just a small part of the overall goal. Yes! Yes, they changed the game. They had to with the rocky start of this gen and getting schlacked by Sony. Its another ball game now.

Gavon West

Ok then Gavon, that’s why they have more SKUs this gen IE all digital edition and 2 consoles next gen. But they really don’t need to sell consoles, it’s not important to them. And can you just quote all my posts in one please. Holy shit...
My phone is weird. Won't let me sometimes. Sorry.

Regardless of how many versions of consoles they have, they all have the same goal. And they're all just an option.

Exactly!!!

They've changed the game a while ago. They include consoles for those who choose that kind of experience. Its not the be all end all anymore. They just want touch in their ecosystems spending money. They're giving gamers a plethora of ways to do that. That's why consoles are just a small part of the overall goal. Yes! Yes, they changed the game. They had to with the rocky start of this gen and getting schlacked by Sony. Its another ball game now.

What I can't understand is this:

If console sales don't make a difference for them why do they keep releasing new consoles every year or so?

Since 2016:
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Xbox One S Digital
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S

I mean they are selling more consoles than 1st party games :D

Gavon West

What I can't understand is this:

If console sales don't make a difference for them why do they keep releasing new consoles every year or so?

Since 2016:
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Xbox One S Digital
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S

I mean they are selling more consoles than 1st party games :D
This is a dumb fucking post.... and false AF. Smh.. Holy shit broski.

martino

And in your world the rules are the ones sony decide i guess ?
some people....

Kokoloko85

Wow! This post takes some stones, for sure. Well done.

I guess we aren't supposed to be ecstatic about power and need Ip's, and Sony fans get to parade around for SSD's and controllers, I guess?

Lol

Be acastatic about what you want. There was plenty of polls after the playstation reveal made by xbox fans. Do you prefer having a 9fpt machine with fast ssd that heats up, or 12flot with cooling. There was all sorts of bs spouting about.

We can parade about what we want Lol. Its a console reveal and the fans can talk about it.
When xbox makes some decent games and sells some decent numbers you cant talk about something. until then..... bye

And in your world the rules are the ones sony decide i guess ?
some people....

The rules have been the same since the 1st generation of consoles.... Microsoft sucks at it, so they changed the game....

Xbox One has been outsold by the Nintendo Switch that came out 3 years and a half later (november 2013 vs march 2017)

Last edited:

martino

The rules have been the same since the 1st generation of consoles.... Microsoft sucks at it, so they changed the game....

Xbox One has been outsold by the Nintendo Switch that came out 3 years and a half later (november 2013 vs march 2017)
your rule is selling most hardware ? you are even looking at the right place
this is fanboy d**** comparison since first generation, nothing more.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Wait. You know Sony is trying to compete with Xbox with the rules made by Microsoft too, right??

Note the PC, cloud streaming and GP initiative taking place in Sony's camp these days?

Top Bottom