• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 239: Jones vs. Santos

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't think anyone would argue that Jones isn't the best to ever do it. But fuck Jones. He's a cheating piece of shit. It sucks though, because if he hadn't cheated he'd go down as the G.O.A.T. BUT since he is a cheat sneak snitch fuck, he'll be: G.O.A.T*

I don't think Santos will do it. But I think Johnny Walker might be able to.

Yeah the PED shit will always be a stain and that is def a shame. Same with Silva.
With Jones I still think he had many years where he was probably clean and destroying the competition though and even if he wasn't clean during the early years of his career, the sport was very different then and PEDs were the norm. I can 100% see why people are on board the 'fuck Jones' train though.

Honestly, I know it's not popular to say this, but I also consider Jones the GOAT and really don't have any issue with him anymore (from a PED standpoint. Just talking inside the cage. The hit and run with the pregnant lady, fuck that). I believe the majority of opponents he beat were using, too.

I believe if we knew all the fighters that cheated in their career, we would be shocked. I would bet every cent I am worth that the list would blow people away and a number of all-time favorites would be on there. I think passing drug tests in sports is more of a real-life IQ test than a purity test. Guys knew how to beat the system for a long time, then the system changed, now people are adapting again.

I think for a long time the majority of the roster was using, and a lot still do. I'm not saying PEDs are okay, or I endorse their usage, but it's a sad reality that i just grew to accept over the last few years as an avid sports fan. It used to really bother me but when so many guys kept getting popped across my favorite sports I just said "ehhh, it is what it is." As long as there is enormous financial incentive to be better than the guy next to you, cheating will always exist.

Just my opinions.

Jones' two biggest strengths are cage/fight IQ and his absolutely titanic chin.

His fight IQ is incredible and he really is a true artist in the sense that he really seems creative and adaptable in the cage. That first Guss fight showed that he does have incredible spirit to overcome adversity as well - probably due to all those years getting beaten up by his older brothers lol

The sport was also most definitely very different 5-10 years ago and it was common knowledge that some kind of PED use was the norm for the majority.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
Yeah the PED shit will always be a stain and that is def a shame. Same with Silva.
With Jones I still think he had many years where he was probably clean and destroying the competition though and even if he wasn't clean during the early years of his career, the sport was very different then and PEDs were the norm. I can 100% see why people are on board the 'fuck Jones' train though.

His fight IQ is incredible and he really is a true artist in the sense that he really seems creative and adaptable in the cage. That first Guss fight showed that he does have incredible spirit to overcome adversity as well - probably due to all those years getting beaten up by his older brothers lol

The sport was also most definitely very different 5-10 years ago and it was common knowledge that some kind of PED use was the norm for the majority.

Bro there are guys on AAA and AA baseball teams with more juice in them than an orange. There were guys on my HS football team that took shit. It is absolutely everywhere. The only thing that changes as you get wealthy is you can start taking undetectable designer shit. It's possible he's clean, but testing positive once, and coming from a family that also has tested positive tells me that shit wasn't a fluke.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Bro there are guys on AAA and AA baseball teams with more juice in them than an orange. There were guys on my HS football team that took shit. It is absolutely everywhere. The only thing that changes as you get wealthy is you can start taking undetectable designer shit. It's possible he's clean, but testing positive once, and coming from a family that also has tested positive tells me that shit wasn't a fluke.

Yeah good point about the rest of his family. I wouldn't be that surprised if he was using something his entire career. As you say, I think most people in all sports were.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
How many Native American fighters are there? I cant remember any. This guy better scalp that Austrian.

LMFAO BUFFER FTW!!!

This fight is legit. nice.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I think Jorge and Holly both have good enough hands and skills to pull off upsets. I don’t think Askren has proven he can weather a good defensive striker. Jorge has been at it for years and I’d like to see him get the win. Askren is just kind of arrogant, but I still think it’s dope that an American, more wrestling oriented fighter is making waves.

TrainedRage

Banned
Funky One rocking a sweet UFC throwback shirt. I kinda want one.
I like how silly this one is....
ufc-ultiman-shirt.jpg

TrainedRage

Banned
I think Jorge and Holly both have good enough hands and skills to pull off upsets. I don’t think Askren has proven he can weather a good defensive striker. Jorge has been at it for years and I’d like to see him get the win. Askren is just kind of arrogant, but I still think it’s dope that an American, more wrestling oriented fighter is making waves.
I think Ben may be getting stuck in his own head. Yet it may all be a show. Hard to tell.

The one thing I give Robbie over Jorge is just pure physical strength, which we saw serve Robbie well early in that fight, but yeah I feel ya. I don't know if Jorge can really do much once Ben gets arms around him but any striking exchange favors Jorge. I know Jorge has an underrated submission game but Ben getting submitted would shock me more than Ben getting KOd.

I gotta be really honest. I might kill a man for a one nighter with Holly.

I dunno what it is, but something about her overall "look" just screams "buckwild fuckstyle."

Sorry to get pervy.

Really curious about this fight. Does Gil still have it? Long layoff, losing 5 out of last 6. Allen a young exciting prospect.

I remember when Gil was arguably the scariest dude at 155

Last edited:
Are they zooming in Ben's highlights from past fights because they weren't in the UFC? Making sure we can't see what cage he's in?

Last edited:
Honestly, I know it's not popular to say this, but I also consider Jones the GOAT and really don't have any issue with him anymore (from a PED standpoint. Just talking inside the cage. The hit and run with the pregnant lady, fuck that). I believe the majority of opponents he beat were using, too.

hes the goat. jon is too fucking good but there is nothing wrong with liking him. i used to hate him but i accepted that hes an ass and now i love him

also i want masvidal to destroy askren. masvidal is 100 percent right about askrens "shit talk". its not very good clever or witty i dont really get why he gets so much credit for it. maybe its because fighters in general arent very good on the mic

Top Bottom