• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miocic 2

Tesseract

Banned
pretty drunk right now all i got for you is a super saiyan gif

source.gif

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I watched Costa v Romero. Costa was scary those first two rounds. Would be interesting to see how Whittaker would handle him. Costa faded in that third though so who knows how that huge body holds up over 5 rounds

Skyr

Costa vs Romero was a tough one to score. Costa was better in the first round and the first half of the second round, while Romero dominated since then.
Personally I would give the second round to Romero as he did more damage and scored a takedown at the end.
Should have been at least a draw imo.

mekes

I feel like D.C. would have retired in the cage had he won the fight. I’ve never seen him fight in this way before, and in the build up he was saying he would crush Stipe. I just feel he wanted to go out with a bang. He paid the price, unfortunately. That’s the only explanation I have for D.C tonight.

Costa actually earned a fan in me tonight. I’d only seen snippets of him previously, calling out Adesanya in instagram stories etc. He seemed pretty trash in those, but actually seemed very likeable in the post fight presser.

Nate was Nate and Pettis was Pettis. I don’t even think Pettis was bad, he just got outclassed. The old style of beating a Diaz brother would have applied tonight, running and point scoring. Pettis didn’t do it, so he got run over.

The more I think about it, I can’t imagine a matchup that makes more sense than Diaz/Masvidal.

It’s a promotional winner, it’s a sporting winner, whoever wins is setup for a couple different huge potential fights, whoever loses still has a couple big matchups possible next. It makes all the sense in the world.

Ornlu

Banned
The more I think about it, I can’t imagine a matchup that makes more sense than Diaz/Masvidal.

It’s a promotional winner, it’s a sporting winner, whoever wins is setup for a couple different huge potential fights, whoever loses still has a couple big matchups possible next. It makes all the sense in the world.

God, that one would have me so torn as to who to root against! I'd be hoping for a double KO.

Nate was Nate and Pettis was Pettis. I don’t even think Pettis was bad, he just got outclassed. The old style of beating a Diaz brother would have applied tonight, running and point scoring. Pettis didn’t do it, so he got run over.

Another way of beating Nate was by utilizing leg kicks - essentially why critics were arguing that Pettis was "built for" Diaz. Nate not only defended kicks well, but checked one so hard that he hurt Pettis, lol; shattering an already mentally weak fighter's confidence.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Pettis’s weakeness has always been guys that smother him and pressure him (especially on the cage). Good fight for Diaz, and he looked good considering he hasn’t fought in 3 years.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
MMA guys who suddenly dont fight their usual style is weird. And DC trying to box all match was one of those instances.

I can understand if its late in the match and people are dead tired or hurt a fighter might not be able to pull off their game, but early in matches?

Thats like Mike Trout transofrming from .300 HR bomber to bunt single squeeze player. Or asking Steph Curry to play power forward for 5 minutes.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I think Yoel got a bad decision loss. Close and amazing fight. Diaz looked incredible for being off for 3 years, so glad he's back in the rotation. Stipe doing work, and overall it was a great night of fights for the most part.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
MMA guys who suddenly dont fight their usual style is weird. And DC trying to box all match was one of those instances.

I can understand if its late in the match and people are dead tired or hurt a fighter might not be able to pull off their game, but early in matches?

Thats like Mike Trout transofrming from .300 HR bomber to bunt single squeeze player. Or asking Steph Curry to play power forward for 5 minutes.
I think they feel some kind of pride in being able to beat the guy on their feet and are really confident that they can do it

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I imagine a lot is going through DC's head, rematches, escaping into retirement without significant injuries, a very interesting situation. I think the MMA community can agree that Stipe delivered some nice punches.

Winter John

A lot of fighters often use the early rounds to experiment with different styles. It's a good way to throw their opponent off their game plan while they're sizing them up. DC's problem was he didn't get back to the game plan his coaches trained him for. He gassed out and once that happened there was no way he was going to be able to wrestle Stipe.

I strongly agree with two things Luke says here

A.) Diaz/Masvidal is an obvious no-brainer. Zero reason not to make that fight.

B.) That fight needs to be five rounds. Either headline a big ESPN card or break the “title fight PPV headliner” norm for this matchup. A three round co-main that will overshadow most any title fight above it would be a criminal waste of opportunity.

Diaz & Stipe win was to be expected but yoel got robed on that win, he lost the first round but clearly won 2nd & dominated the 3rd.

Top Bottom