• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 239: Jones vs. Santos

I haven't heard anything from JW since he hurt his shoulder celebrating after his last win. From what I can tell he doesn't have a fight lined up currently, unless I am missing it? The shoulder thing was minor, right?

Assuming JW keeps winning, he might end facing Jones at the perfect time to unseat him, maybe as soon as within the next 16-24 months. Let's say Jones is going into that fight off a tough 5 round war with DC and stumbles right into getting KO'd by Johnny, or something like that. Jones won't win forever. Age and MMA miles catch up to every fighter.

Obviously a lot of assumptions/guessing in this post. Both guys have to keep winning, but if they both do, their roads obviously cross at some point.

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything from JW since he hurt his shoulder celebrating after his last win. From what I can tell he doesn't have a fight lined up currently, unless I am missing it? The shoulder thing was minor, right?

Assuming JW keeps winning, he might end facing Jones at the perfect time to unseat him, maybe as soon as within the next 16-24 months. Let's say Jones is going into that fight off a tough 5 round war with DC and stumbles right into getting KO'd by Johnny, or something like that. Jones won't win forever. Age and MMA miles catch up to every fighter.

Obviously a lot of assumptions/guessing in this post. Both guys have to keep winning, but if they both do, their roads obviously cross at some point.
I'm pretty sure I saw a video just a few days ago of him saying he wants to come back in September.

He just needs to reel in the celebration dances to a comfortable and safe:

tenor.gif

and keep doing what he's doing and I'll be a fan forever.

i want nothing more than amanda nunes to get knocked the fuck out. im petty but i just find her and her style just so ugly. her fucking shitty mullet and all the flannel she wears
I dunno. I LOVE Cyborg. I have such an appreciation of her character and still think she's the best female fighter of all time even though Nune's put her down cold. And I still don't dislike Nune's. She's not a Cunth Cunth ass person and you can see how hard she works. She did what no one else will probably do and I don't fault her for being her. Nune's isn't my favorite, but she seems a decent person and I was so happy to watch her become the Champ Champ live. I equate that moment to very rarely do you get to see a person in probably the best moment of their lives and to see how genuinely happy and in euphoria Nune's was when she earned that accomplishment and those titles, it was hard for me to be upset with her. I thought that Cyborg's accomplishments over the years earned her an immediate rematch and that it might not go the same way twice in a row, but Nune's did it and in that moment, she deserved it. I want to see a good fight more than anything, if Holms can upset the world order again, I'm on-board the train, but I won't be upset if Nune's holds the reign as the best female fighter to ever do it, or at least to closely do it next to Cyborg.

I do still think Cyborg is the greatest female fighter of all time. I DO understand the criticisms of her and how she looks, but that bitch is the most ferocious woman on the planet and if Shao Khan were to come to the planet earth and ask you to "give us your best female fighter." I'd have to toss a coin between Nune's and Cyborg and I wouldn't be upset with either result.

I've gone from kind of liking Askren to becoming a little bored with his act. I wouldn't be disappointed if Masvidal beat his ass.

I’m actually rooting for Jorge, I would love to see him win, but it’s just hard for me imagine the fight going his way outside of a flash KO. I think Ben should be able to take him down at will.

We’ll see though. Should be interesting

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Holly is the kind of ripped that gasses in the 3rd

Also I love askren, but masvidal handles his games really well. He's on the nate Diaz level of not giving a fuck

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Obviously Nunez is a beast but I think Holm finishes strong, the training, wins over top champs etc. indicates shes the GOAT

I’m actually rooting for Jorge, I would love to see him win, but it’s just hard for me imagine the fight going his way outside of a flash KO. I think Ben should be able to take him down at will.

We’ll see though. Should be interesting
I listened to the JRE episode he guested on. I thought he came across well; intelligent and articulate.

Then I saw someone else here say they thought he came across as a brainless thug. Strange.

Skyr

Anybody here who loves the Schmo an his interviews? He’s taking over the game I’m telling you. Ariel go home.

Holly is the kind of ripped that gasses in the 3rd

I don’t think Holly has an issue with gassing out. She’s had strong 4th and 5th rounds. Getting choked out by Miesha in the 5th wasn’t an issue of cardio IMO.

Off the top of my head I can’t remember a fight where Holly looked super gassed out at any point.

EDIT

I am gonna take this a step farther and say that IF Holly wins, it willl in the 4th or 5th rounds, or because of them

Last edited:
Two years ago I would have said Claudia destroys Markos, but now today I’m not so sure.

I’m curious to see how Gil looks after a pretty long absence. Allen is a pretty good up-and-comer.

Better link

Nunes just made weight. Looked a little sucked out but maybe that’s just because last time I see her she was at 145.

Few undercard fighters made weight so far.

Edit

Jones made 205, looked like with ease, as usual

edit

I don't like Chiesa but he looks way more comfortable at 170 so far

edit

Jan said that Luke was tell him he had "small feet" when Luke was jawing with him on stage. Wonder if he is joking or if there is a language barrier going on there.

edit

Luke is in at 204.5.

Only fighters remaining are Claudia and Holm. Everyone else made weight so far, unless I am mistaken.

Last edited:
Holm steps on the scale at 133.5 (unless I heard it wrong)

Got a little booty shot as she walked away from scale.

Just waiting on Claudia

I know some people think how people look on the scale is meaningless, and some people think it is a sign of how the fight is gonna go. I am somewhat in the middle on that. For what it's worth, Nunes looked miserable up there, Holm looks great. I'm not gonna change my pick based entirely on that, but it is something I can't help but notice.

Last edited:
If Holly wins I think it’s gonna happen in either the 4th or 5th round or win because of those rounds on the scorecards (like it’s 2-1 Nunes heading into the 4th and Holly wins the last two rounds).

I can’t get away from my Nunes pick, though if I was in Vegas and looking for an underdog to bet on then Holly probably has the biggest appeal.

With Holly’s durability and skill set, I think her best bet is to bait Nunes into punching herself out and then opening up in the later rounds.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't really follow MMA as religiously as I used to but with a card as stacked as this I think I'll stay up and watch.

It's always a pleasure to watch Jones as well. Fuck the haters he's the best I've ever seen. It's been really interesting watching him develop as a fighter over the years.

I'm not really expecting any upsets but if Masvidal can KO Askren then I'll be happily surprised.

It's always a pleasure to watch Jones as well. Fuck the haters he's the best I've ever seen.

I don't think anyone would argue that Jones isn't the best to ever do it. But fuck Jones. He's a cheating piece of shit. It sucks though, because if he hadn't cheated he'd go down as the G.O.A.T. BUT since he is a cheat sneak snitch fuck, he'll be: G.O.A.T*

I don't think Santos will do it. But I think Johnny Walker might be able to.

If Holly wins I think it’s gonna happen in either the 4th or 5th round or win because of those rounds on the scorecards (like it’s 2-1 Nunes heading into the 4th and Holly wins the last two rounds).

I can’t get away from my Nunes pick, though if I was in Vegas and looking for an underdog to bet on then Holly probably has the biggest appeal.

With Holly’s durability and skill set, I think her best bet is to bait Nunes into punching herself out and then opening up in the later rounds.

Holms best chance in my opinion is to get to those later rounds too and let Nune's punch herself tired. It's gonna be a tough battle to avoid her bombs though, Nunes is no joke. But if Holly can get to the later rounds her chances of winning multiply exponentially.

Last edited:
I don't really follow MMA as religiously as I used to but with a card as stacked as this I think I'll stay up and watch.

It's always a pleasure to watch Jones as well. Fuck the haters he's the best I've ever seen. It's been really interesting watching him develop as a fighter over the years.

I'm not really expecting any upsets but if Masvidal can KO Askren then I'll be happily surprised.

Honestly, I know it's not popular to say this, but I also consider Jones the GOAT and really don't have any issue with him anymore (from a PED standpoint. Just talking inside the cage. The hit and run with the pregnant lady, fuck that). I believe the majority of opponents he beat were using, too.

I believe if we knew all the fighters that cheated in their career, we would be shocked. I would bet every cent I am worth that the list would blow people away and a number of all-time favorites would be on there. I think passing drug tests in sports is more of a real-life IQ test than a purity test. Guys knew how to beat the system for a long time, then the system changed, now people are adapting again.

I think for a long time the majority of the roster was using, and a lot still do. I'm not saying PEDs are okay, or I endorse their usage, but it's a sad reality that i just grew to accept over the last few years as an avid sports fan. It used to really bother me but when so many guys kept getting popped across my favorite sports I just said "ehhh, it is what it is." As long as there is enormous financial incentive to be better than the guy next to you, cheating will always exist.

Just my opinions.

Jones' two biggest strengths are cage/fight IQ and his absolutely titanic chin.

Last edited:
Honestly, I know it's not popular to say this, but I also consider Jones the GOAT and really don't have any issue with him anymore (from a PED standpoint. Just talking inside the cage. The hit and run with the pregnant lady, fuck that). I believe the majority of opponents he beat were using, too.

I believe if we knew all the fighters that cheated in their career, we would be shocked. I would bet every cent I am worth that the list would blow people away and a number of all-time favorites would be on there. I think passing drug tests in sports is more of a real-life IQ test than a purity test. Guys knew how to beat the system for a long time, then the system changed, now people are adapting again.

I think for a long time the majority of the roster was using, and a lot still do. I'm not saying PEDs are okay, or I endorse their usage, but it's a sad reality that i just grew to accept over the last few years as an avid sports fan. It used to really bother me but when so many guys kept getting popped across my favorite sports I just said "ehhh, it is what it is." As long as there is enormous financial incentive to be better than the guy next to you, cheating will always exist.

Just my opinions.

Jones' two biggest strengths are cage/fight IQ and his absolutely titanic chin.

Jones is easily the most creative fighter alive. It's incredible how he just figures out how to get it done. I disagree with the titanic chin though, he's not really been tested to see if he can take the power shots, most people just simply can't get to him to land a good, clean, powerful shot. Not that I don't think he can't, just that we really haven't seen it tested.

As far as PED's. I think it needs to be an either or scenario. Either EVERYONE gets to do it(which I'd love to see) or no-one does. Gimme the most roided out dudes at the absolute peak physical limits and let them go at it. But it's unfair if one guy found a way to game the system with smart coaches that know how to get away with cheating and other fighters don't.

Brock Lesnar beating Mark Hunt and getting payed almost 3X the amount and was cheating is a prime example. When asked why Lesnar was so big, he just said people need to deal with the fact that he's a "jacked white boy."

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Dom Reyes is a guy I said I’d like to see fight JW but I think he’s booked, I could be wrong though. I read that article where JW’s manager hints at Glover Teixeira (I for sure spelled that wrong)

Dom Reyes is a guy I said I’d like to see fight JW but I think he’s booked, I could be wrong though. I read that article where JW’s manager hints at Glover Teixeira (I for sure spelled that wrong)
Yeah Reyes is another one that has been lighting up the LHW division too. I think a fight between them and winner takes on Bones would be a good series of fights. Reyes definitely has a the potential to do it too.

Top Bottom