• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas teen admits she made up hoax claims about abduction, rape by '3 black males'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smellycat

wtf

I bet she didn't want to get married anymore and in her mind claiming that she was raped by black guys would make her fiance "grossed" out.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
That Heavy link ends by saying that the police delayed other investigations to focus on this one.

Well the town was demanding blood. This became high profile real quick. When a case like this becomes national news, they have to make it a priority. Diverting resources that would have been used for other cases.

Oh, and as for the poster that hopes the backlash destroys this girl for the rest of her life: The hell is wrong with you?

She's going to have a criminal record. She'll probably have to pay restitution. She's going to lose her job. She's lost her fiance. She's lost the trust of her community. She's embarrassed her family. She's a pariah on social media. This will follow her for years to come.

Why would you want her to be tortured for life? What's the end game? Do you want rehabilitation, or do you want vengeance?

Well the town was demanding blood. This became high profile real quick. When a case like this becomes national news, they have to make it a priority. Diverting resources that would have been used for other cases.

Oh, and as for the poster that hopes the backlash destroys this girl for the rest of her life: The hell is wrong with you?

She's going to have a criminal record. She'll probably have to pay restitution. She's going to lose her job. She's lost her fiance. She's lost the trust of her community. She's embarrassed her family. She's a pariah on social media. This will follow her for years to come.

Why would you want her to be tortured for life? What's the end game? Do you want rehabilitation, or do you want vengeance?

Yeah, I'm sure the dumb girl who carved the backwards B in her face is surely still remembered, right? If you think this will have any long term damage to her you're being naive. She's 18. She'll move away and this shit will forgotten faster than the innocent black people she could have sent to jail would have even gotten considered for a rejection of a parole hearing.

Given the history of what happens when people lie about Blacks assaulting women, I can't blame someone for being upset enough by this story to say that. Somebody could've easily been killed.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

All deserved. She should be in jail, this is a terrible thing to do.

People need to learn that this shit is very much not OK.

johnny956

Given the history of what happens when people lie about Blacks assaulting women, I can't blame someone for being upset enough by this story to say that. Somebody could've easily been killed.

Yup we had lynchings in the past from false claims like this so it's hard to feel sympathetic to people who make these false claims

this is the type of shit people need the book thrown at them over. someone could have been falsely accused or killed over it

misdemeanor? nah charge her for the tax payer money wasted as well

Peroroncino

Lying about rape should have serious consequences.

It demeans those who are raped and have to fight against those who tend to disbelieve them because of shit cases like this one.

Exactly.

People like her should be made an example of, because it only hurts real victims, which are often scrutinized and blamed if they manage to muster up courage and speak out.

Aselith

Yeah, I'm sure the dumb girl who carved the backwards B in her face is surely still remembered, right? If you think this will have any long term damage to her you're being naive. She's 18. She'll move away and this shit will forgotten faster than the innocent black people she could have sent to jail would have even gotten considered for a rejection of a parole hearing.

It's pretty common for employers to Google your name before hiring you. Guess what?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ASHLEY+TODD&*&spf=64

In a perfect world where the guilty never goes free yea. In reality that would make it even harder for real rape victims to report the crime and take it to court, would make it possible for real rapists where the evidence isnt strong enough to get them convicted to get their rape victims locked up, and so on.
I don't think anyone sensible would advocate for a system where simply not having enough evidence to get a conviction would turn it around and lock up a rape victim instead. But cases like this where they can do real damage and even admit it was a lie then they need to face real consequences.

I want less assholes to think blaming black people for their fucking life problems is a thing to just randomly do.

This could have turned into a witch hunt like it usually does and someone could have died.

Fuck her and fuck her life.

Derwind

Why am I not surprised to see the ol' "So and so isn't an asshole/racist, just mentally ill!" already?

Everytime racism is observed it changes its state into mental illness.

We always have to cushion or downplay racism.

Racism isn't a mental illness, it's a culture, one thats always left unaddressed or defenders come out of the woodwork to deflect any attempt to suggest that racism had a part to play.

Racism is a way of life, not a mental illness, the day we admit that is the day we can try to address it properly.

You know what the worst part is? The damage has been done already. Some people ran with the story and it's now become reality for them. They'll use this story to feed their hateful minds and make it part of history. I'm sure some parents will use this story to raise their children to hate black people. I can hear them already: "Remember that time that poor girl got raped by three black men? Don't trust them!"

If I didn't know any better I'd start a conspiracy theory about white people planting these kinds of stories to keep racism alive.

It's a good thing no one had their lives ruined by her false allegations.

She should face 3x the punishment as an alleged perpetrator would have.

hypernima

Banned
"If the races were reversed this would be national news"

Maaaaan shut your racist ass up. Tell that to the black children that to missing by the thousands every year with no news coverage comparing to pretty little white Suzie falling down a damn well.

Shit like that especially bothers me. At that point you're not just racist and ignorant you're straight up lying to other people.

Like the dozen or so Black and Latino youth missing in SE DC right now.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
All deserved. She should be in jail, this is a terrible thing to do.

People need to learn that this shit is very much not OK.

yea seriously. What if the cops went out on the hunt for these "three black men" and someone got seriously injured or killed because cops are trigger happy to begin with, but throw in a pretty white girl being defiled by blacks....

Mr. X

That's really not an appetite term to use and you should refrain from using it in the future.

Really? So let's body shame here and make her probably already ruined mental imagine of herself even worse.

She fucked so let the law handle it:. The drive-by comments are disgusting and reflect poorly on you two that made them.
Very quick turn around to just make this water under the bridge. Nah, fuck her and her family. She is getting off lightly for this.

This is only a misdemeanor?

wtf

I bet she didn't want to get married anymore and in her mind claiming that she was raped by black guys would make her fiance "grossed" out.
This reminds me of the time some new girl started working at my job and I mentioned her boyfriend's race just to see the reaction certain people would give:

Co-worker: Does she have a boyfriend?

Me: Yeah.

Co-worker: Ok well, I mean I can still...

Me: A brotha.

Co-worker: Ah nah! *walks away*

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I want less assholes to think blaming black people for their fucking life problems is a thing to just randomly do.

This could have turned into a witch hunt like it usually does and someone could have died.

Fuck her and fuck her life.

So you want vengeance. Gotcha.

And before you think I'm judging you, I'm not. In the case of Emmett Till, I want an unreasonable amount of punishment against the woman who accused him. She damn well KNEW what would happen to him when men got their hands on Emmett.

So you want vengeance. Gotcha.

And before you think I'm judging you, I'm not. In the case of Emmett Till, I want an unreasonable amount of punishment against the woman who accused him. She damn well KNEW what would happen to him when men got their hands on Emmett.

I think she's still alive. Alive and well. The men who killed him lived out full lives as well.

I'm not above plain old revenge or "justice" and to think about the fact that they got away with what they did is infuriating.

If you name a particular race as part of your false police report, it should be categorized as a hate crime.
I agree with this.

Several years ago someone in my area (also Texas) also made up a hoax attack of a dude "fending off an attempted car burglary" and the made-up perp was black.

I don't understand what the hell goes through these people's heads.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I wish I could say I was surprised at all the mental illness posts, but I am not. If it involves racism, people will do whatever they can to deny it exists or atleast make up an excuse for the racist person. It's BS. Might as well go ahead and co-sign on the act.

She needs to be convicted of those misdemeanor charges.

Otherwise, it'll be that much easier for her to change her name (hard to do it with a misdemeanor charge) and start over like none of this ever happened.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I've always been of the mindset that false accusations for something like this should get the equivalent of what the perpetrators in a real case would get. Just as a message has to be sent about the punishment of rape, a punishment that is real in weight and severity also needs to be created against those that lie about these accusations as well.

kirblar

Several years ago someone in my area (also Texas) also made up a hoax attack of a dude "fending off an attempted car burglary" and the made-up perp was black.

I don't understand what the hell goes through these people's heads.
Same thing that's been going on for hundreds of years: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ing_our_women_racists_have_long_defended.html

White women falsely accusing black men has a long, horrific history in this country. This is not about her being mentally ill, this is about her learning the very worst habits from society.

This is one of the things where "white feminism" gets deservedly criticized for ignoring intersectionality when they try to downplay false claims as though they're something that don't exist, because they've been weaponized against black men specifically for eons.

tkscz

but-why.gif

Things like this always leave me in a state of confusion. Whats the reasoning and motivation behind doing something like this?

I've looked this stuff up before. I shit you not some people do this for shits and giggles. Though in this case, I have a gut feeling she was cheating.

I was told this never happens.

I know you were being sarcastic but there are people here on GAF who still believes that it's just 2% of all claims and none of them hurt or ruin the lives of others.

Neither did someone taking a leak behind the bushes, nor did an 18yo boning his 17yo girlfriend.

Wait you're actually being serious for once?

I don't think her registering as a sex offender makes sense in this case, neither does taking a leak in public, but she should do max 25 years, minimum 15 and life if someone actually got arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom