• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen indicted on felony charges for lying about being raped by three Black males

She can admit that she did it for the GoFundMe in front of a judge but people still claim mental illness caused her to want that money.

Right? I wish black men, women, boys, and girls got even a fraction of the empathy this woman was, hell, still has been and will continue to squeeze out from a bullshit con.

Shit like this has gotten so many Black men murdered throughout history. So I have zero sympathy for this woman. You don't lie about shit like that.

Reminds me of Susan Smith. Murdered her own babies and said a Black man kidnapped her. Or backwards B.

Right? I wish black men, women, boys, and girls got even a fraction of the empathy this woman was, hell, still has been and will continue to squeeze out from a bullshit con.

Amazing isn't it?

How would a conviction in this case dissuade rape victims from coming forward? I mean, she admitted that this was a hoax.

https://archive.is/JuxoR

That's an archive of the GoFundMe.

But the precedent!

Give her jail time.

I doubt actual rape victims would set up a GoFundMe mentioning how they would like to replace their jewelry. Let's stop trying to find excuses for this white woman.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
No sympathy. Toss her ass in a cell and let her think about what she did. No fucks given for her and make sure she's gotta live with that convict sign around her neck too for the rest of her life.

This is horrible what this women did. Every time I hear a story like this I am reminded of Emmett till, the Central park 5, and what happened to black wall street and countless other black males throughout the history of the united states. I personally do not think she should do major prison time their are already too many people in prison and having possibly three felonies on her record going forward would be punishment enough. What I really do not like is people coming up with excuses for what she did. It was racism and greed that drove her to do this not mental illness. If that was gonna be her defense she would have already tried it but she freely admitted she lied and it was a hoax so why even try to come up with excuses for her?

Amazing isn't it?

Truly is. People really, really underestimate how astounding black people are for persisting and thriving in such a warped, unsympathetic society.

If that was gonna be her defense she would have already tried it but she freely admitted she lied and it was a hoax so why even try to come up with excuses for her?

At this point, I consider excuses made in cases like this just an inherent societal reflex that's been reinforced by the foundation of white supremacy this nation was built on. Mainstream culture just encourages putting up even a limp defense for people coded as "innocent" by a variety of bigoted standards.

stephen08

What an awful thing to do from so many angles.

I hope those 10 years in jail serve her better than her 18 years free have so far. Probably won't though.

EDIT: I don't think people mean she's mentally ill so let her off the hook but more that society failed her if she thought this was an okay thing to do. Either by dehumanising black people, creating a stigma about being pregnant, not properly instilling a moral compass to her, or maybe not catching and properly treating some kind of condition. When something like this happens it isn't just her doing, it's all the of society's in a way because we created the environment which shaped her. She still is ultimately responsible for her actions though.

Media

I don't know why I got thrown into the camp of defending her in light of my posts here for worrying about the precident that could be set for harsh sentences for false accusations. She a horrible, racist bitch that throws every real victim under the bus and deserves to rot.

But I have zero faith in the justice system, especially when it comes to rape. I've walked that road and it ain't fun. It fucking sucks, and everything is stacked against you. I don't blame anyone that doesn't report.

We are damn near the point where women are getting tried for murder when they miscarry and you all think we can trust the system not to fuck over actual victims if this lying entitled racist gets tossed for ten years and sets precident?

I'm not at all saying she shouldn't be punished. Some jail time, a shit ton of community swtvice, and a big fine would do more than a long prison sentence I'm.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah, no. I made some fucktacularly bad decisions at 18, too, but none of them involved trying to completely and utterly ruin three innocent lives for cash. No sympathy. Whatsoever. Throw her ass in jail and I'll only hope she's a better human being at 28.

We are damn near the point where women are getting tried for murder when they miscarry and you all think we can trust the system not to fuck over actual victims if this lying entitled racist gets tossed for ten years and sets precident?

The point is society didn't get that way because of punishing women who lie and commit crimes. It got that way because of men who create a status quo of protecting other men and marginalizing women. Punishing a woman for actually lying about a rape isn't going to create a precedent when the precedent for not believing women who tell the truth is already set. The people who normalize the idea that women are crafty liars who make up rape are inherently going to have their view bolstered by the fact that this woman lied about a rape in the first place, not the severity of her punishment. False accusations should be punished and that belief can exist alongside the belief that women who report a rape should have their report taken seriously and pursued zealously and that society needs to do a better job of punishing rapists when it counts. Going easy on her isn't the key that will suddenly end or even slightly shift centuries of rape culture. She did commit a crime, fed into anti-black bigotry and more than likely created a hostile environment for the black people in her community, tried to profit off her lie and created a false report of a heinous act and should be punished accordingly. If you want to argue years fine but I don't buy into the idea that a harsh punishment for her, in particular, is somehow the flag that will sentence thousands of other actual rape victims to a horrid judicial experience.

With no victim?

If she accused specific people to get them in trouble because of their race i could see it.

Nah, she was indiscriminately targeting black people with her accusations. If she were to have specified a specific individual with whom she had some kind of personal qualm, then it would be harder to peg as a hate crime. It was pretty much the very definition of a crime carried out due to hatred of a race of people.

Media

The point is society didn't get that way because of punishing women who lie and commit crimes. It got that way because of men who create a status quo of protecting other men and marginalizing women. Punishing a woman for actually lying about a rape isn't going to create a precedent when the precedent for not believing women who tell the truth is already set. The people who normalize the idea that women are crafty liars who make up rape are inherently going to have their view bolstered by the fact that this woman lied about a rape in the first place, not the severity of her punishment. False accusations should be punished and that belief can exist alongside the belief that women who report a rape should have their report taken seriously and pursued zealously and that society needs to do a better job of punishing rapists when it counts. Going easy on her isn't the key that will suddenly end or even slightly shift centuries of rape culture. She did commit a crime, fed into anti-black bigotry and more than likely created a hostile environment for the black people in her community, tried to profit off her lie and created a false report of a heinous act and should be punished accordingly. If you want to argue years fine but I don't buy into the idea that a harsh punishment for her, in particular, is somehow the flag that will sentence thousands of other actual rape victims to a horrid judicial experience.

I guess you are right, I'm just terrified of things getting worse. I have zero trust in the system, and a 9 year old daughter. Like I said, I walked that road and having educated myself after wards I know her chances are not good at making it through life without having to deal with it, and it fucking terrifies me. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, hell, I wouldn't wish it on the guy that did it to me.

I just...fuck the system, fuck rape culture, and fuck this girl in particular for making things worse for everyone.

Koppai

Surprised that she wasn't let off with a warning considering this is Texas.

I think Rape is one thing Texas does take seriously, they investigate most claims made and prosecute people who lied. Not saying it is perfect, but at least they take it seriously.

Redrable

Unconfirmed Member
Hope they throw her the entire book. Such sexual allegations ruin the accused's reputation forever, even after it has been proven wrong.

Media

If anything, demanding leniency when it's been proven someone was lying and with extremely base motivations is what sets a bad precedent.

I don't want lenency, just not a huge prison term. Make her work her ass off in community service for people less fortunate than her to get some damned empathy or something. But like I said, you guys are probably right and I'm just reacting out of a fear of things getting worse for actual victims.

What an awful thing to do from so many angles.

I hope those 10 years in jail serve her better than her 18 years free have so far. Probably won't though.

Shes never gonna get 10 years in prison unless the prosecutor really has it out for her at most she will spend 30 days in jail with a fine, community service, and possibly house arrest. The upgraded charges are probably retaliation because she embarrassed the town not to mention her family and friends disparaging the police officers publicly in that town.

Barzul

The white woman as a weapon, it's as old as the history of this country and countless black men have lost their lives or spent it behind bars as a result of it. But things are better now as in the past the innocence of those men would not even have been considered. This is even more brazen as these were just random guys she had no ties to. The latest episode of the Revisionist History podcast touches on this, worth a listen.

She doesn't deserve anyone's pity or sympathy, unless there is provable mitigating mental illness like schizophrenia. She should be convicted and jailed like those men she accused might very well have been.

I guess you are right, I'm just terrified of things getting worse. I have zero trust in the system, and a 9 year old daughter. Like I said, I walked that road and having educated myself after wards I know her chances are not good at making it through life without having to deal with it, and it fucking terrifies me. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, hell, I wouldn't wish it on the guy that did it to me.

I just...fuck the system, fuck rape culture, and fuck this girl in particular for making things worse for everyone.

I understand. The amount of judges, politicians and just people in power in general who feed into rape culture or take advantage of women astounds and grows more and more every day. I just know there are other avenues to fight against this that doesn't involve another section of the populace suffering. To be light on this means being light on the idea that you can claim anything you want about black individuals being violent or criminal and not actually having to back it up. That kind of sensibility is what encourages painting black men as dangerous rapists, murderers, etc that people like to use to create backward policies, preach backward ideologies or outright attack/kill black people. Even if you're not telling the truth, even if people suffer from your lie, you don't have to worry about consequences. That doesn't have to continue and neither does the culture's investment in denying justice to rape victims.

We have multiple examples of actual criminal rapists, villains who commit these acts and get off scot free. We have multiple examples of people who warp rape to the point of making new categories to excuse it. We have multiple examples of people like Bill O'Reilly and Roger Ailes who are praised and defended for the sake of it rather than brought to justice. These are the arenas where there needs to be a lot of push back. This is where a lot of effort needs to be put in to hold society's feet to the fire. There are people who need to be removed from power. People who need to be educated. People who need to be fought against. This incident though isn't a place that needs our effort in the fight for women's equality and the destruction of rape culture. This is someone who lied and committed a criminal act and it should be treated justly. It reminds me of when Peter Liang was defended by Asian Americans despite just being one more officer who robbed a black person of their life. Don't use an area where a person knowingly abused their privilege and position to marginalize or harm other people as a battleground for equality. Protecting Liang and conversely protecting this woman, in particular, doesn't reverse their inequality as marginalized individuals but rather harms the lives of Black Americans and minimizes their plight for the sake of an individual who doesn't deserve it at the end.

Ponn

Banned

We've had a couple threads on this topic before with a similar news story. Don't get discouraged, I know its probably empty words but this discussion is very personal for various people of different gender and race. Its one of those very nuanced topics that has compelling arguments coming from different angles. This is one of those topics that deserves, or demands, real discussion and listening to each other and not just talking past each other.

Media

I understand. The amount of judges, politicians and just people in power in general who feed into rape culture or take advantage of women astounds and grows more and more every day. I just know there are other avenues to fight against this that doesn't involve another section of the populace suffering. To be light on this means being light on the idea that you can claim anything you want about black individuals being violent or criminal and not actually having to back it up. That kind of sensibility is what encourages painting black men as dangerous rapists, murderers, etc that people like to use to create backward policies, preach backward ideologies or outright attack/kill black people. Even if you're not telling the truth, even if people suffer from your lie, you don't have to worry about consequences. That doesn't have to continue and neither does the culture's investment in denying justice to rape victims.

We have multiple examples of actual criminal rapists, villains who commit these acts and get off scot free. We have multiple examples of people who warp rape to the point of making new categories to excuse it. We have multiple examples of people like Bill O'Reilly and Roger Ailes who are praised and defended for the sake of it rather than brought to justice. These are the arenas where there needs to be a lot of push back. This is where a lot of effort needs to be put in to hold society's feet to the fire. There are people who need to be removed from power. People who need to be educated. People who need to be fought against. This incident though isn't a place that needs our effort in the fight for women's equality and the destruction of rape culture. This is someone who lied and committed a criminal act and it should be treated justly. It reminds me of when Peter Liang was defended by Asian Americans despite just being one more officer who robbed a black person of their life. Don't use an area where a person knowingly abused their privilege and position to marginalize or harm other people as a battleground for equality. Protecting Liang and conversely protecting this woman, in particular, doesn't reverse their inequality as marginalized individuals but rather harms the lives of Black Americans and minimizes their plight for the sake of an individual who doesn't deserve it at the end.

Yeah I get it. I didn't mean to imply she shouldn't be punished at all. I'm an ally for all minority groups (I'm Native American myself) and black folk, like I said before, plus police is like playing Russian roulette. This bitch could have gotten people killed. I wasn't intending to marginalize anyone, just expressed discomfort at the thought because of my previously explained reasons.

I'm glad we can have a discussion about it though. Anywhere else online this conversation would be very different and likely super fucking frustrating.

We've had a couple threads on this topic before with a similar news story. Don't get discouraged, I know its probably empty words but this discussion is very personal for various people of different gender and race. Its one of those very nuanced topics that has compelling arguments coming from different angles. This is one of those topics that deserves, or demands, real discussion and listening to each other and not just talking past each other.

Yeah it's a touchy subject on all sides. Men who fear false accusations, women who fear violence from men, black men and the horrible way the system and police treat them, racism in general, sexism in general, and rape/rape culture all rolled into one big nightmare ball because this asshole decided to lie to...I dunno get money through GoFundMe? Ugh.

EDIT: I don't think people mean she's mentally ill so let her off the hook but more that society failed her if she thought this was an okay thing to do. Either by dehumanising black people, creating a stigma about being pregnant, not properly instilling a moral compass to her, or maybe not catching and properly treating some kind of condition. When something like this happens it isn't just her doing, it's all the of society's in a way because we created the environment which shaped her. She still is ultimately responsible for her actions though.

I wish black people and minorities overall get that kind of sympathy when they're charged with crimes.

Painguy

Had a friend who had this happen to them. Dude's entire life was nearly destroyed. I don't get why some people do this. Luckily he and his fam had the resources to defend themselves, but most others don't. Shit is scary as fuck bruh. You don't lie about rape.

Media

I wish black people and minorities overall get that kind of sympathy when they're charged with crimes.

If a guy had got killed by the cops in the ensuing manhunt had they believed her, these same people would be talking about the time he skipped school and therefore was no angel. Or had smoked weed once.

He shouldn't have been jaywalking!

Or whatever. I hate this. Why can't people just be good to each other fuck.

Edit: God fucking damn it I post this go back to OT and another black kid has been killed by police. I'm so fucking done .

Yeah, a slap on the wrist for a crime that's led to the deaths of countless black men seems appropriate for the poor misguided princess.

No, it would not be a slap on the wrist. Look, I am perfectly cognizant of the larger issue, but encouraging our justice system's "vengeance prison industrial complex" which devours black families like hors d'oeuvres with another victim instead of dealing with the crime appropriately helps nothing. Throwing this idiot in prison for 10 years helps not a damn person. "Make an example of her" are you people frigging dense? You're throwing band-aids at the wrong end of the problem.

No, it would not be a slap on the wrist. Look, I am perfectly cognizant of the larger issue, but encouraging our justice system's "vengeance prison industrial complex" which devours black families like hors d'oeuvres with another victim instead of dealing with the crime appropriately helps nothing. Throwing this idiot in prison for 10 years helps not a damn person. "Make an example of her" are you people frigging dense? You're throwing band-aids at the wrong end of the problem.

this mentality is why I really doubt she'll face any serious punishment

You really want to use blacks being unfairly treated by the justice system as a card in a case where a woman almost got black men in trouble with the criminal justice system by lying

Think

olag

Each crime needs to be handled on an individual basis and I see no reason why this girl should not face the full consequences of her action. Whether that be community service or 10 years served in prison. This is the justice Im advocating for as a blackman, whether she will be an example or written in some text book is irrelevant.

Griss

Expected to come into the thread and read about three young men whose lives had been ruined. Relieved that that's not the case.

The harm done here is a diffuse, societal one rather than a specifically injurious individual one. Hope this woman gets some help in jail or elsewhere.

She's not gonna get the full ten years, probably no where close to that but especially for the nature of the claim and potential harm that could've come with it and the apparently fraud attempt, assuming she was involved in that Go Fund Me, she deserves some time.

What the actual fuck?

I hope that was a reference to some poster some time back who didn't seem to realize a teenager is anyone from age 13 to 19.

Strike

IQSK4Qy.gif

Man, if only black people got half the amount of empathy/benefit of doubt this woman is getting and she actually admitted it.

False rape accusations are fucking terrible. I hope she gets a rightful prison sentence. She could have easily really screwed those men out of meaningful lives had science not been their to question her story.

Have to tread lightly here. Don't want to make it any more difficult for actual victims to come forward.

White women lying about being raped by black men is a common, long standing staple of white supremacy. How about we stop putting one groups' rights over another and treat crimes like fucking crimes.

Let her rot in jail where she belongs.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Hope she is locked up.

Of course I doubt your justice system will serve up any proper punishment. Being white female she'll be let off lightly.

Man, if only black people got half the amount of empathy/benefit of doubt this woman is getting and she actually admitted it.

Yeah it's fucking disgusting.

Snarky❤;244875921 said:
"Mentally ill"? Seriously?
Free out of jail card for white people.

The sympathy white people get even though they are racist, xenophobic, bigoted is terrifying, give some of that to people who are truly endangered damn it. (Disclaimer I am also white but this shit makes me mad)

Top Bottom