• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas teen admits she made up hoax claims about abduction, rape by '3 black males'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

Why is this a only a misdemeanor?

Because the reality is that if you make rape hoaxes a serious crime, you're only going to disincentivize people from coming forward? You're also essentially setting the police up to first look to charge a victim rather than the perpetrator.

watershed

Banned
I read this news earlier this morning. Its so disgusting. There is a history of white women claiming to be raped by black men and this women is reproducing this fatal racist lie. Black men have been locked away and sentenced to death by the justice system by this very lie.

Dude Abides

Banned
And when this kind of fuckery is let off without real consequences, it continues and the next time, perhaps the next accuser isn't so sloppy with her lying.

Is that when Dude Abides will admonish this behavior? After it's too late?

It's ok with me if you want rape victims to think really really long and hard about what might happen to them if they come forward and nobody believes them. If that's what ryutaro's mama thinks is really crucially important in these situations, that women fear not only social castigation but lengthy prison terms if they aren't believed, well you do you.

vern

Lock her up. At least this didn't end up in dudes getting rounded up and falsely accused or worse.

And why is she being referred to as a teen when she's apparently 18 and an adult?

18 is spelled "Eighteen." She is a teenager and also a legal adult. She is a piece of shit teen, but still a teen is technically correct.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
but-why.gif

Things like this always leave me in a state of confusion. Whats the reasoning and motivation behind doing something like this?

My one and only question.

This shit needs to be a crime with jail time, people need to learn that lying about rape ain't no fucking joke.

But it's all right because it's all what?

Is this a joke or some bizarre American thing?

Also what's with all the calls for jail time? How does that help anyone?

18 is spelled "Eighteen." She is a teenager and also a legal adult. She is a piece of shit teen, but still a teen is technically correct.

Since this apparently needed explanation, there is expected to be a significant difference in maturity between a 13 year old and an 18 year old.

I'm questioning the fairness of identifying her as a teen when woman is also technically correct. Additionally, media portrayal of victims and perpetrators is known to be influenced by racial bias.

Edit: In regard to calls for jail time, black men have been sentenced to death for less, in some cases based on false claims like this.

pablito

This shit needs to be a crime with jail time, people need to learn that lying about rape ain't no fucking joke.

But it's all right because it's all what?

Here's where I'm two minds about it. Lying about rape is horrible and I wish it would never happen. I'd like for them to be punished for trying to ruin someone's life. But punishing them harshly is going to give reasons for false accusers to never come clean. Punishing accusers can indirectly punish the falsely accused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom