• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black High School Students Visiting Texas A&M University Harassed, Told to Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

A group of black and Hispanic high school students visiting Texas A&M University say they were harassed, taunted and told by white students they were not welcome to attend the university, according to Texas Sen. Royce West (D-23rd District).

West's office released a statement Thursday saying two black female high school juniors were part of a larger group touring the campus when they were approached by a white female Texas A&M student who asked the girls if they liked her earrings -- which were replicas of the Confederate flag.

Nearby, a group of white male and female students began harassing the larger group of 60 high school students by using racial epithets and telling them to "go back where you came from."

The group of students, from Dallas' Uplift Hampton Preparatory School, were visiting the campus as part of the school's Road To College at Uplift Education Program.

According to West, the confrontation was witnessed by TAMU officials accompanying the students. A campus police officer initially said the university students were expressing their First Amendment rights, though a report was made on the incident.

Following their tour, Alex-Johnson said TAMU officials met with students to discuss the incident and assure them that the behavior was not in line with the university's beliefs or ideals.

“They were really sincere," she explained. "And they couldn’t believe what happened, like neither of us could, and they just really apologized and told us that this shouldn’t be happening at their school.”

West said the incident is now being reviewed by executive leadership at the university, including Chancellor John Sharp.

"While high level meetings are taking place among A&M administrative, faculty and student leaders, those meetings need to produce results that say that overt acts of racism will not be tolerated anywhere within the university system," West said. "I expect a response that is swift and similar to those taken at the University of Oklahoma. The students responsible for these reprehensible actions should be strongly disciplined, if not expelled."

Michael K. Young, president of Texas A&M University, said in a statement released Wednesday he was outraged and tremendously disappointed in the behavior of his students and that "appropriate action will be taken."

"I deeply regret the pain and hurt feelings this incident caused these young students. Be assured that we take such allegations very seriously," Young said in a statement. "While the actions of a few certainly do not represent our institution as a whole, it is the responsibility of all of us to stop any incidents that could be considered hateful or biased-based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability or any other factor."

Source: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Bl...o-Go-Home-Texas-Sen-Royce-West-368503021.html

And here I thought that Texas A&M was supposed to be a top-tier university. In what world is it OK for college kids to act like this to a high school class that is touring campus?

The offending kids should be removed from A&M and any scholarships currently in use by said students should be split evenly among the prospective students regardless of where they choose to go to college.

AMUSIX

If "appropriate action" is anything but full expulsion from the university, then the school is saying that this sort of thing is fine by them.

The "First Amendment Rights" bullshit line was horrid. Yes, the assholes are free to say whatever they want, but that does NOT mean they are free from any repercussions.

Gross. This is part of the reason I have little faith in the "racists will all die off" idea. Racism is still pure in some of the younger generation. I'm just glad the University took it somewhat seriously and any minimization stopped at that campus officer.

RPGCrazied

Texas, what are you doing? My state too, these students better get expelled and fined. No reason to act like racist assholes.

Take their scholarships and kick them out for a school year. Add in if they're not on a scholarship then still charge them for that year of school.

Pathetic. The university needs to step up and clean out the racist trash. Assuming of course they actually want to make it a safe place for everyone.

Macam

Banned
Man how does someone wearing confederate flag earrings even find their way to a school?

In Texas? Pretty easily. In College Station? Even easier.

But don't worry, I'm sure Gov. Abbott and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick will make sure those
black
students are punished.

The Lamp

Source: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Bl...o-Go-Home-Texas-Sen-Royce-West-368503021.html

And here I thought that Texas A&M was supposed to be a top-tier university. In what world is it OK for college kids to act like this to a high school class that is touring campus?

It is a top tier university. It's not okay. All of us are extremely fucking angry at whoever did this. Including our president.

And I hate the trashy confederate flag earrings of whoever was involved.

Lots of smart white kids who grew up in the south go to A&M and unfortunately some of them are kinda prejudiced. But it's not most of us (we have 60,000 students. Get real if you think they're all gonna be precious gems) and believe me, my entire circle of alumni is horrified this happened.

watershed

Banned
This is the kind of crap that should be unacceptable but is all too common and even condoned. How are people of color supposed to even want to be part of a college community like that?

I'm impressed a Texas university didn't try to sweep this under the rug, so good for them

A campus police officer initially said the university students were expressing their First Amendment right...
This fucking guy.

The offending kids should be removed from A&M and any scholarships currently in use by said students should be split evenly among the prospective students regardless of where they choose to go to college.
This is a great idea.

Response from the student body president (which, may I say, was a much better response than the President's one):

Howdy,

By now I am sure many of you have heard about the horrifying and disgusting racial incident that occurred earlier this week on campus. Unfortunately, this was a sobering reminder that while the vast majority of us, myself included, have been blessed to know an exceedingly outstanding group of students during our time here, our experiences and perceptions do not always align completely with reality. My initial emotions of shock and disbelief have now soured into the painful realization that a very small group of students could be capable of such an ignorant and barbaric form of hate.

I first want to address a number of individuals I have seen that are completely denying that this happened, and are directly or implicitly accusing the victims of fabricating this story. My message to you is simple: Stop. There is absolutely no reason to believe that a large number of students and teachers would conspire in an effort to lie about this. An attitude of denial is dangerous because inhibits our ability to have constructive dialogue, learn from what happened, and move forward productively.

Because of the heinous nature of this incident, it is extraordinarily easy to be disgusted by the actions of others, and be confident that you would never be capable of such a thing. It is easy to think that because such an incredibly small percentage of students are responsible for this, that it does not point to a larger problem. And it is easy for all of us to agree that racism is bad and move on with our lives.

However, it is much harder address the difficult reality of how an individual on our campus become so emboldened in their racism that they were able to openly yell the slurs at a group of black students. How did they reach the point that they felt so comfortable and so unopposed in their primitive hatred that they could shamelessly display it?

The attitude displayed this week does not make its first appearance in such a radical manner. I strongly believe that this is where the vast majority of us as a student body can take responsibility and make changes moving forward.

I know that I am guilty during my time here, as I suspect many of you are, of ignoring passing comments or jokes at the expense of a group based on their racial, sexual or gender identity. I have generally dismissed these types of comments as a poor attempt at asinine humor and as coming from a place of immaturity, and not from a place of genuine hate. However, I feel that silence in response to these comments camouflages the genuinely hateful and empowers them in the development of their beliefs.

It is time that we embrace the attitude that our silence does an extraordinary disservice to Texas A&M. Our silence fosters hate. Our silence enables the hateful to feel comfortable and welcome.

Now is the time to reflect on our attitude about these kinds of things. We need to make it known that hate has no place in the Aggie Family. These comments may have been made by students here, but they were not made by Aggies. An Aggie never stands for hate. An Aggie defends the marginalized and stands for truth.

Next time you hear someone make a comment, or attempt to make a joke, remind them that those attitudes have no place here. That kind of ignorance is untenable in a modern society and hate is completely incompatible with the Aggie Spirit.

I still strongly believe that we have the most exceptional student body in the world. I know that the vast majority of us will take this issue seriously and use this opportunity to embrace to our core values and spread the love and openness of the Aggie Family.

For the good of the hateful individuals, our underrepresented students on campus, and for Texas A&M as a whole, it is time to make a change.

Joseph Benigno ‘16
Student Body President

Koppai

Gross. This is part of the reason I have little faith in the "racists will all die off" idea. Racism is still pure in some of the younger generation. I'm just glad the University took it somewhat seriously and any minimization stopped at that campus officer.

Racism will never die until people stop teaching their kids to be racists.

Also, if racism is indeed rampant at this school, hopefully stories like these hurt their ability to recruit top black athletes for their sports programs.

FStop7

Banned
According to West, the confrontation was witnessed by TAMU officials accompanying the students. A campus police officer initially said the university students were expressing their First Amendment rights, though a report was made on the incident.

The campus cop sounds like a walking Youtube comment. Thankfully there were TAMU officials who witnessed this otherwise it would've been entirely dismissed out of hand.

A world named Texas.

If "appropriate action" is anything but full expulsion from the university, then the school is saying that this sort of thing is fine by them.

The "First Amendment Rights" bullshit line was horrid. Yes, the assholes are free to say whatever they want, but that does NOT mean they are free from any repercussions.

The line was indeed bullshit.

http://student-rules.tamu.edu/rule24

http://student-rules.tamu.edu/rule31

malts

Really sad and disgusting that this would happen at a University of all places - a supposed bastion of learning.

Dai101

Banned

Well, that's your fault for believe that. The younger generations are just as racist as our old people, if not worst.

Just let's hope this cabrones have their rightful punishment.

The younger generation is even worse because they come with the taught racism without any of the personal life experience to put racism in context. At least our parents lived through segregation.

Well, that's your fault for believe that. The younger generations are just as racist as our old people, if not worst.

Just let's hope this cabrones have their rightful punishment.

No fucking way dude. Having met, talked with, and related to many old southern people, they are just on a completely different level. Like, they should be put in a museum and studied honestly. It's just insane. Those kinds of racists just don't get born unless they are completely isolated from society.

Since everything else has already been said, I can only add by saying that even this article has a click bait title.

The FIRST LINE says black and hispanic, but the headline only says black.

No fucking way dude. Having met, talked with, and related to many old southern people, they are just on a completely different level. Like, they should be put in a museum and studied honestly. It's just insane. Those kinds of racists just don't get born unless they are completely isolated from society.
This is a huge problem with younger racists, in that because of so much of our life is now taking place on the Internet, they've opted out of ever interacting with anyone different than them. They'll go years without talking to a black person if they don't want to, and they have all of their friends on the Internet to validate their bullshit opinions on a group of people they have literally no experience with. At the very least, older racists have had to confront a real life black person and communicate with them before.

Mass One

Also, if racism is indeed rampant at this school, hopefully stories like these hurt their ability to recruit top black athletes for their sports programs.
Money talks loudly.

Really sad and disgusting that this would happen at a University of all places - a supposed bastion of learning.

I know that the college experience is going to be different for everyone. But I don't think college is going to make someone magically unracist. But when it comes down to it you just hang around like minded dudes.

Also college is already stressful but combined with the life-long debt, why waste your time trying to convince the dude you meet in some class to be not racist.

The society they grew up in helped turn them that way. Their beliefs were at one time not just acceptable, but normal.

Young racists are worse because their racism is an active push for what's recognized as wrong in a society where information is readily available. While they often have help reaching their racism from older family, they choose to cling to it and even worse attempt to defend it from what they feel is an intelligent perspective.

masud

Banned
Isnt a&t historically very racist? I'm pretty sure the entire school played the racist antagonist in a black college football movie whose name I cant remember.

I know some workers there at TAMU. I can imagine the shitshow in their admissions office... Unfortunate that it happened. College aged students being racists for one, then of course being racist towards kids trying to get an education. Granted, that is a rich part of US history, but goddamn.

I know about Uplift and they bust their asses to get kids educated in "undesirable" and "urban" educational settings/districts so they're prepared to go to good schools. Some of the comments in the Houston ISD school renaming thread irked me too...

Since everything else has already been said, I can only add by saying that even this article has a click bait title.

The FIRST LINE says black and hispanic, but the headline only says black.

I hate that a lot of media reinforces the "blacks are uppity" idea with this exact kind of headline. Racism against minorities goes far beyond black people vs white people but pinning it on just black people makes it too easy for some people to ignore as just "an issue with those people".

Isnt a&t historically very racist? I'm pretty sure the entire school played the racist antagonist in a black college football movie whose name I cant remember.
I mean, it's a school of nearly 60,000 students currently. And like a vast majority of all colleges in the US over time, they were racist at one point. North, south, east, and west. It's why historically black colleges and universities exist now. Blacks weren't allowed to enroll in existing colleges at the time.

But in general, the "school" isn't racist. But of course there are going to be a lot of families and money floating around that are racist and cling to that over the generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom